Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
how is this for a flier?

i may not know what i am doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think a poster that essentially doubles down on the last elections strategy is a great idea, but being active politically is

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't think a poster that essentially doubles down on the last elections strategy is a great idea

huh?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mutant Standard posted:

how is this for a flier?

i may not know what i am doing

oh poo poo whos performing?? dave attell?? patton oswalt???? is this one of those comedy central presents things????

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

i'm out of my depth here

edit: shouldn't this thread also have links to stuff like open whisper systems considering that trump now has the nsa?

Automata 10 Pack has issued a correction as of 07:20 on Nov 15, 2016

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
my criticism is it looks like it's saying "this is not normal stand up" as in stand up comedy, apologies that this wasnt clear, otherwise it's good

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Al! posted:

my criticism is it looks like it's saying "this is not normal stand up" as in stand up comedy

oh jesus christ, glad you caught that :doh:

okay, what other words will work? "Fight" comes off as too violence incitey and "Resist" feels kinda worn out and mocked.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Mutant Standard posted:

okay, what other words will work? "Fight" comes off as too violence incitey and "Resist" feels kinda worn out and mocked.
"Fight Back"

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Man Whore posted:

Who do I talk to to get the democrats to start giving a poo poo about the rust belt and its unions again?
southern Ohio is where I live if that matters.

Call your state Democratic party on the telephone and talk to them with your mouth and tongue.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Mutant Standard posted:

I think just putting a period after "This is not normal" would fix the issue. Or maybe an exclamation point.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

quote:

11. Most local police now use Stingray fake cell-phone towers which turn off your phone's encryption and hoover up all your data. If you have an Android phone, Android IMSI-Catcher Detector may work, it may not. Expect to have all your social media/private messages/cell phone data compromised. Communicate plans in person with people you trust. Do not post or have any incriminating information which can be used against you.

On the subject, never bring your stupid phone to your stupid protest or meeting. Even before we made the change to the eminently fuckwithable smartphones, it was SOP for cops to snatch your phones in detention or raids and install microphones/delete content.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

alright, final version

Automata 10 Pack has issued a correction as of 03:24 on Nov 16, 2016

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Oh boy 'white lives matter' planning rallies in some cities on the 19th. Already anti-trump rallies planned that day in my town, going to be kind of interesting. The last time white lives matter came to town a black woman got stabbed at a black lives matter rally. Also I like their poster.

If you're out protesting this weekend, especially in those states named, please be vigilant.

Doorknob Slobber has issued a correction as of 07:57 on Nov 16, 2016

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Jenner posted:

The single most important thing any of you can do is to start voting. Get your friends to vote, your family, your coworkers, everyone you know, everyone who will listen. Stop needing to be inspired, vote! Vote in EVERY election! Boring local elections are super important. Your county representatives actions are the ones that most effect you.

These people are the ones that draw the district lines. They are the ones that make gerrymandering happen. Your vote matters the most in these small, local elections and have lasting effects and influence on the higher branches of government.

And it can really make a difference.

My old home town had an election in the Board of Education, a beloved teacher and school counselor was in the running. A bunch of her former students rallied and voted for her. She won by 117 votes. She cut both the coaches and the administrator's paychecks and used that money to increase teacher's salaries and hire more teachers bringing the student to teacher ratio down from 37 to 1 to 21 to 1. Grades increased as students were able to get more individual attention. The school Rating improved, people started to move into the town for the school. Revenue increased. :iia:

Get off your asses and get out and vote.

Do you have, like a link to a news articles about this? I'd love to be able to spread some good news

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Anyone heard about a Paul Ryan poll to measure support for Obamacare/ACA? I've seen it pop up in a couple places but the links always lead to reddit so I'm not sure if it's bullshit or not.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Anyone heard about a Paul Ryan poll to measure support for Obamacare/ACA? I've seen it pop up in a couple places but the links always lead to reddit so I'm not sure if it's bullshit or not.
It's real; I called it about an hour ago. The phone line is often so busy that you're shunted to a recording, where (after listening to an explanation of why ACA needs repealing) you can vote by touch-tone.

quote:

“Paul Ryan’s Affordable Care Act poll is back up, at a different phone number: 202-225-0600. KEEP CALLING. #ACA”

You may need to call twice, and if you get dead air, wait on the line - it will wait 40-60 seconds before giving you a lecture and then allowing you to take the poll.
Note that he's already shut down one line after it was flooded.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i was in an anti trump protest, took some pictures

Karl Barks has issued a correction as of 22:04 on Nov 19, 2016

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's real; I called it about an hour ago. The phone line is often so busy that you're shunted to a recording, where (after listening to an explanation of why ACA needs repealing) you can vote by touch-tone.

Note that he's already shut down one line after it was flooded.

Great, thanks.

StateOwned
Dec 30, 2005

this lane closed
My recommended reading:
How to win friends and influence others
Rules for Radicals

any other suggestions?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You can vote without listening to the exasperated staffer read off a list of lovely R talking points too

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanks for the info on the ryan aca thing

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Karl Barks posted:

i was in an anti trump protest, took some pictures

that "KEEP WHITE SUPREMACY OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE" guy's heart is in the right place but i just don't have it in me to tell him the bad news

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/SarahPinsker/status/800181284534423552

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i'm beginning to think that activism in boston isn't really worthwhile and i actually kinda don't care. not for the dems, anyway. i think i need to leave things up to smarter people than i in order to know what to do.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Pollyanna posted:

i'm beginning to think that activism in boston isn't really worthwhile and i actually kinda don't care. not for the dems, anyway. i think i need to leave things up to smarter people than i in order to know what to do.

I don't blame you, this stuff is hard, and living in a big city in the northeast, you should be okay

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This thing where concussion grenades are being used on protesters in DAPL and other places is actually really loving disgusting. Concussion grenades are not for peaceful crowd control and its a failure of the media that it isn't being reported on more.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Doorknob Slobber posted:

This thing where concussion grenades are being used on protesters in DAPL and other places is actually really loving disgusting. Concussion grenades are not for peaceful crowd control and its a failure of the media that it isn't being reported on more.

is it actual concussion grenades? i thought it was flashbangs. there's no way police are using arms designed to maim in confrontations on peaceful protesters right?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
somebody's apparently gotten their arm blown off at dapl so

warning for photographs of gore

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also, assaulting protestors with fire hoses in sub-freezing temperatures is also going to straight up kill people

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Tollymain posted:

also, assaulting protestors with fire hoses in sub-freezing temperatures is also going to straight up kill people

yes, but you could at least blame that on police not thinking things through. using weapons designed to maim on protesters is indefensible in any fashion

i'm just having trouble with the concept tbh. police have been poo poo and i know they've been intentionally hurting protesters they didn't need to. it's just hard to believe they've sunk to such depths as using concussion grenades. what's next, frag grenades and minefields?

Condiv has issued a correction as of 00:45 on Nov 23, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all weapons used on protestors are capable of maiming and will inevitably be used as such in the hands of law enforcement

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Tollymain posted:

all weapons used on protestors are capable of maiming and will inevitably be used as such in the hands of law enforcement

capable

not necessarily designed for the purpose. concussion grenades are literally designed to maim and meant for active combat, not suppressing protests

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can a flash bang do the maiming that was mentioned above? I wouldn't be super surprised if protesters were mixing the two up. Either way, flash bangs against protesters seems like escalation to me also.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Can a flash bang do the maiming that was mentioned above? I wouldn't be super surprised if protesters were mixing the two up. Either way, flash bangs against protesters seems like escalation to me also.

they can do a lot of damage, though the amount of damage to that girls arm looked to be too much. i could be wrong though, i'm not a doctor or a medic

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013
want to actually stop Trump? vote if you want, but don't let the ballot be an excuse for inaction. follow the example of the water protectors at no dapl and use direct action, or at least support those who do

Fight Trump: Stop Deportations By Any Means

George Ciccariello-Maher posted:

Just because Trump was legally elected doesn’t mean we need to accept his presidency — and much less his racist, xenophobic, and misogynistic ideas — as legitimate.
Direct action against deportation works, both tactically — to hinder ICE’s functioning while concretely protecting some from the hell of deportation — but also politically, as a tool for mass mobilizing and to provoke a national debate over the freedom of movement. Moving forward, organizations with deep roots in local communities will prove crucial relay points for a broader anti-deportation strategy, building the necessary infrastructure locally while networking nationally and shepherding volunteers and organizers into mass, mobile flying squads capable of obstructing ICE’s work by warning communities and physically preventing raids from being carried out.
The tactics we choose for this struggle will not all be legal, but they are legitimate tools in a legitimate struggle. And if migrants among others are condemned to exist in a gray area outside the protection of the law, then for the next four years if not many more, those struggling against white supremacist backlash will need to similarly push the strategic envelope and occupy the gray area that we enter as soon as we refuse to accept Trump’s legitimacy.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

some duders are saying this didn't actually happen but I wouldn't know and can't be bothered enough to wade through the poo poo that is the news sources covering the protests

e: http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/1...campaign=buffer

this is the source apparently, probably not greatly reliable, alleges that it was one of the propane cans blown up by protesters that injured the woman?

Bulgogi Hoagie has issued a correction as of 00:39 on Nov 26, 2016

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Bolton Hairy-Bore posted:

want to actually stop Trump? vote if you want, but don't let the ballot be an excuse for inaction. follow the example of the water protectors at no dapl and use direct action, or at least support those who do

Fight Trump: Stop Deportations By Any Means

you can start fighting against deportations rn because Obama is still doing them as far as I know

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

some duders are saying this didn't actually happen but I wouldn't know and can't be bothered enough to wade through the poo poo that is the news sources covering the protests

e: http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/1...campaign=buffer

this is the source apparently, probably not greatly reliable, alleges that it was one of the propane cans blown up by protesters that injured the woman?

Take a look at your source, then reconsider why they would have a vested interest in a narrative that says the police were right and the protestors were building the least competent IEDs ever. Also recall that the same source claiming there were IEDs was also claiming right up until clear video was posted that no water cannons were used.

In other fun news, the ACOE has closed all the public lands north of the Cannonball River as of 5 December to drive off the protestors, and a no-fly zone is up over the area from 00:00 today until 2 December. Get ready to have some serious he said/she said over how a bunch of protesters mysteriously got badly hurt over the weekend during a 'peaceful but firm removal' of the camps.

Liquid Communism has issued a correction as of 09:28 on Nov 26, 2016

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Liquid Communism posted:

Take a look at your source, then reconsider why they would have a vested interest in a narrative that says the police were right and the protestors were building the least competent IEDs ever. Also recall that the same source claiming there were IEDs was also claiming right up until clear video was posted that no water cannons were used.

In other fun news, the ACOE has closed all the public lands north of the Cannonball River as of 5 December to drive off the protestors, and a no-fly zone is up over the area from 00:00 today until 2 December. Get ready to have some serious he said/she said over how a bunch of protesters mysteriously got badly hurt over the weekend during a 'peaceful but firm removal' of the camps.

ny times says it's unclear who's at fault and they're examining the fragments from the arm so I'm sure the real slapfight is yet to come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Mutant Standard posted:

how do you find out about local stuff?

This can be very opaque so look for your county elections comissiion and contact them.

• Locked thread