Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
And the winner is:
This poll is closed.
Magnus +2 or More 11 32.35%
Magnus +1 8 23.53%
Magnus in Tie-breaks 4 11.76%
Karjakin in Tie-breaks 0 0%
Karjakin +1 1 2.94%
Nuclear War 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

King Pawn posted:

Just tuned in, can someone explain Re2 -> Re1? I missed the coverage, and it's befuddling me. Did provoking b6 achieve something?

Magnus wants to preserve his bishop pair, presumably. Black's threatening Ba6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Magnus wants to preserve his bishop pair, presumably. Black's threatening Ba6.

Sure, I get that. I meant why not just play Re1 immediately on move 10? Superficially it looks like he lost a tempo for very little.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

King Pawn posted:

Sure, I get that. I meant why not just play Re1 immediately on move 10? Superficially it looks like he lost a tempo for very little.

My guess? If black doesn't play b6, white gets a head start on doubling rooks. If black does, then white has engineered a pawn commitment from black in a position where black has zero pawns committed.

e: and if you look at how the position has turned out, white has a bishop on f4 that is nominally looking at the weak pawn on c7.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 14, 2016

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Unless there's a tactical refutation, 17.g3 looks like a very good move.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

yeah, and g5 is a bit curious. Makes Kings side structure weird. but I'm no pro so we'll see what happens

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

yeah, and g5 is a bit curious. Makes Kings side structure weird. but I'm no pro so we'll see what happens

The fewer pieces on the board — especially if the queen is off — the more you can slide away from "king safety" and towards "controlling space." Bonus for Karjakin in that he got to trade Carlsen's good bishop for Karjakin's bad knight.

A lot of this game so far is about each player trying to get the other to commit to something, whatever that something may be.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It does weaken the kingside, but it forces the bishop either into a less active position, allowing black's bishop to move away from e7, or trade off, also allowing black to make his pieces a bit more active. I guess Karjakin felt it was a good tradeoff.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
I quite liked the first two games and defended them against those saying they were boring, but this seems to be petering out very rapidly. Berlin :argh:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Karjakin still thinking, and it's at the point where he's got 25 minutes for 15 moves. Things may get tight.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Karjakin is prob not going to be able to solve this with the time pressure. That knight is perfect.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
c5 looks like a blunder.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I was thinking ...Ba3 and then ...Bc1 to pressure the knight.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Aggro posted:

I was thinking ...Ba3 and then ...Bc1 to pressure the knight.

I think you might run in to Rg5 there.

The line that Peter is showing here is very interesting. Basically Magnus stealing a tempo to get the rook from g1 to g2.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

King Pawn posted:

I quite liked the first two games and defended them against those saying they were boring, but this seems to be petering out very rapidly. Berlin :argh:

haha check out this idiot.

You'd think I'd have learned by now that Magnus is good at making things happen in quiet-looking positions.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

pawn is pawn

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

King Pawn posted:

haha check out this idiot.

You'd think I'd have learned by now that Magnus is good at making things happen in quiet-looking positions.

This is only exciting to see Magnus hunt down a wounded gazelle after 31...c5. This should have been a draw.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

This is only exciting to see Magnus hunt down a wounded gazelle after 31...c5. This should have been a draw.

Chess is a draw. Magnus' style is to pursue positions where he can play freely, yet his opponent needs to make committal decisions. And it's hard to make committal decisions without screwing up at least once.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The people's world champion Vishy wins the Champions Showdown.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

All of these Trump fans in the Chess24 chat makes no sense

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

All of these Trump fans in the Chess24 chat makes no sense

Conventionally white/male space, obsessed with winning and other displays of strength, prone to conspiratorial thinking. Talking politics with most chess players is horrifying — Fischer is a prototype.

e: Like you get jock alpha male bullshit combined with nerd resentment/insecurity. It's awful.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
I have an interest in computer chess and that community is appalling. I expected a bunch of mild-mannered nerds, turns out it's mostly a hive of hyper-opinionated dullards spouting nonsense, full-blown conspiracy theorists, stormfront rejects and the legitimately mentally ill. There are a few good eggs in the mix, but overall it's easily the most unpleasant group of people I associate with. If only the subject itself wasn't so fascinating..

Also, the level of partisanship is incredible. People declare themselves a "Stockfish fan" or a "Houdini fan" or whatever and if you put one of each in a locked room I get the impression they'd be clawing each other's eyes out.

King Pawn fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 15, 2016

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Well I'll eat my words. Even if this does turn into a draw, it's been loving awesome.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Karjakin is about to have a schizophrenic break by the end of this tournament if magnus keeps making this dude passively defend like this

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

and there it is. that's a massive blunder. he could still possibly recover but it's going to be tough

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
That game was crazy. Could be a blow to Carlsen psychologically, I'm sure he knows he missed a huge chance.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

King Pawn posted:

That game was crazy. Could be a blow to Carlsen psychologically, I'm sure he knows he missed a huge chance.

He just said on Norwegian tv that he didn't see a big chance to win.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

wait did it draw? I had to eat dinner

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

how the gently caress did karjakin get out of that

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

TheRat posted:

He just said on Norwegian tv that he didn't see a big chance to win.

Everything I say in here gets contradicted immediately :v:

It's me, I'm the hyper-opinionated dullard spouting nonsense.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

how the gently caress did karjakin get out of that

I'm not sure what "that" in this context is. If you mean his initial mistake, by lots of very precise play. If you mean something else, I suspect whatever he did was deliberate.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I really enjoyed that endgame - I thought Carlsen would just grind out a win but nope.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Game 4 is underway; I'm no expert on the Ruy, but so far it looks to me like a fairly standard one.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Norwegian TV are being very critical of the Russian team for not coming up with openings that don't play into Magnus' strengths. I don't know what I'm talking about, so 'presented without comment' I suppose.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

TheRat posted:

Norwegian TV are being very critical of the Russian team for not coming up with openings that don't play into Magnus' strengths. I don't know what I'm talking about, so 'presented without comment' I suppose.

The 2013 and 2014 WCCs showcased just how strong Carlsen is at Ruy Lopez openings, particularly the Berlin defense. I'm p sure that's basically all it means (and also pray that fewer games this year are Ruy Lopez because zzzzz)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This is one of those games where I can understand that black is okay right now, but in practice I would get snowed so hard.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Norwegian TV are saying Karjakin's Bxh6 was a big mistake

TheRat fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 15, 2016

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

TheRat posted:

Hrm, most engines were reportedly giving equal (and even) results for that move along with the other candidate moves, it's just that this is a bit more sharp.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

TheRat posted:

Big mistake as in he's worse now, or big mistake as in it just pisses away his attack?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Big mistake as in he's worse now, or big mistake as in it just pisses away his attack?

As in he's worse now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

TheRat posted:

As in he's worse now.

What reasons did they give for this? Does black have that much play up the middle?

• Locked thread