Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
And the winner is:
This poll is closed.
Magnus +2 or More 11 32.35%
Magnus +1 8 23.53%
Magnus in Tie-breaks 4 11.76%
Karjakin in Tie-breaks 0 0%
Karjakin +1 1 2.94%
Nuclear War 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Excited for this!

I found Ian Rogers' breakdown of viewing options to be useful, although I can't vouch for the cheesecake.

Only qualm is that I still feel 12 games just isn't enough for a world championship match. Even 16 would be a big improvement in my eyes.

Rooting for Magnus and he's obviously a huge favourite, but Karjakin is a formidable player with nerves of steel. Should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Svidler/Gustafsson are definitely :swoon: but Svidler at least is currently playing in the European Club Cup and won't be around until later on.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Just tuned in, can someone explain Re2 -> Re1? I missed the coverage, and it's befuddling me. Did provoking b6 achieve something?

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Magnus wants to preserve his bishop pair, presumably. Black's threatening Ba6.

Sure, I get that. I meant why not just play Re1 immediately on move 10? Superficially it looks like he lost a tempo for very little.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
I quite liked the first two games and defended them against those saying they were boring, but this seems to be petering out very rapidly. Berlin :argh:

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

King Pawn posted:

I quite liked the first two games and defended them against those saying they were boring, but this seems to be petering out very rapidly. Berlin :argh:

haha check out this idiot.

You'd think I'd have learned by now that Magnus is good at making things happen in quiet-looking positions.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
I have an interest in computer chess and that community is appalling. I expected a bunch of mild-mannered nerds, turns out it's mostly a hive of hyper-opinionated dullards spouting nonsense, full-blown conspiracy theorists, stormfront rejects and the legitimately mentally ill. There are a few good eggs in the mix, but overall it's easily the most unpleasant group of people I associate with. If only the subject itself wasn't so fascinating..

Also, the level of partisanship is incredible. People declare themselves a "Stockfish fan" or a "Houdini fan" or whatever and if you put one of each in a locked room I get the impression they'd be clawing each other's eyes out.

King Pawn fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 15, 2016

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
That game was crazy. Could be a blow to Carlsen psychologically, I'm sure he knows he missed a huge chance.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

TheRat posted:

He just said on Norwegian tv that he didn't see a big chance to win.

Everything I say in here gets contradicted immediately :v:

It's me, I'm the hyper-opinionated dullard spouting nonsense.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Karjakin is certainly living up to his reputation as a great defender.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
There have been GMs and other notables saying part of Carlsen's strategy is to fatigue Karjakin by extending games as far as possible. If there's any truth to that, doesn't it make sense for Karjakin to agree to draws instead of trying to press with small edges?

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Teddybear posted:

I kinda want this to go to tiebreaks because that kind of rapid fire chess and commentary seems like it'd be awesome to watch.

It is. Rapid chess is a much better spectator experience in my opinion (although certainly many chess players would disagree)

straight up brolic posted:

More stringent time limits heavily favor Magnus right?

Carlsen is great at faster chess, but Karjakin is hardly bad at it and the nature of tiebreaks somewhat randomises the result. Carlsen definitely will want to win the match outright, he has little incentive to play bloodless draws in the next two games.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Deformed Church posted:

It's cool to watch, but I've watched a couple of games and I kind of miss the slower games giving me the time to see at least some of what they're going for. Obviously I'll never get much more than a fraction of what Carlsen and Karjakin are trying to do, but blitz games are too quick for a bad like me to even identify what's pinning what or where there might be some holes in the defence.

That's why I like rapid. A time control like 25+10 is long enough for the commentators to give some detailed analysis and the players to play a complete, reasonably good quality game. And at the same time, it's short enough to realistically watch in a single sitting and reduces the need for cricket chat during a half-hour break between moves.

Doctor Malaver posted:

How come 1. d4, Nf6 is out of vogue? It used to be very popular on GM level because black evades symmetry from the start and gets active play.

It's not. It just happens to have not featured in this match yet, but in general grandmaster play it's the most common reply to 1. d4 by a wide margin.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
The commentators seemed to be saying that allowing an easy draw was a tactical decision on Magnus's part, which makes no sense to me. Surely it's worth at least trying to win?

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Also given that chess games can end in draws it doesn't really make a decisive result any more likely.

^ 10 minute break, at least according to Jan Gustafsson

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Peter Svidler has no sense of humor.

This is the wrongest opinion i've seen so far today and i spent 15 minutes reading chess24 chat

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

I want to watch Peter Svidler broadcast himself playing Hearthstone.

He definitely at least watches Twitch streams, I don't think this is unlikely to happen. I'd subscribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
That is so loving pretty :swoon:

• Locked thread