Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Dr. Klas posted:

Could it be that you're heating it too much after it's done? Mine has never gone bad unless I mess up the start (usually overheating it since I skip the water bath).

I'm guessing this is the problem. I use a ceramic bowl, and take it off of the heat as soon as I start to see the whisk trails. The bowl and melted butter stay warm enough to finish the job.

If I'm stuck using steel, like at someone else's house, I still usually take it off once I see trails and only put it back on the heat if it hasn't quite thickened enough. If it starts to turn, you can save it with a shot of cold water whisked in immediately.

You only need to get the yolks to a temperature that they will accept the butter. Once you're there, the easiest way to stay there is to stop adding energy.

In terms of ratio, I've found two yolks will happily emulsify a large amount of butter. So far my record is enough to make two-egg bennies for six people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread