Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I've spent a while working on my Hollandaise, and I think I've finally gotten the recipe and method where I like it to be.

- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp sugar (I usually just estimate and add to taste near the end)
- 8 oz. butter
- about 4 tbsp lemon juice (I usually just juice a small lemon and it's estimated again)
- cayenne pepper to taste (I like adding this for a little extra flavor)
- kosher salt to taste

Method:

Whisk the yolks until they lighten in color a little. Add the cayenne and a little salt.

I actually do this directly on the stovetop. It's tricky, but efficient. Turn the heat to medium-ish and whisk the yolks constantly. I use an IR thermometer to monitor the temp. You want to get it up to about 140 F, but you do it enough and you'll learn the exact consistency and color.

Reduce the temperature a little. Add the butter 2 Tbsp at a time as 2x 1 Tbsp. chunks. Make sure the butter is COLD, then it will melt slower and incorporate more easily into the sauce. WHISK CONSTANTLY, it's really dangerous using direct heat, it's really easy to slip up and curdle your yolks.

While you do this, alternate having the saucepan on the burner or on a towel on the counter. You'll get the hang of the rhythm, but you're aiming to keep it at about 120 F.

Once you've added half the butter, add 1-2 Tbsp of lemon juice very slowly and whisk very quickly.

Then add the rest of the butter in the same way. After it's all incorporated, add the sugar, then add the rest of the cayenne and salt and lemon juice to taste (usually another Tbsp or so).

I had similar problems to you when trying to do this via double boiler. Direct heat is tricky and dangerous, but I've found when you get the hang of it you do have finer control over the temperature.

It's also really helpful to add the lemon juice in two batches, and drizzle it in really slowly while you whisk fast. If you have an IR thermometer, it's really handy until you get the hang of it, as keeping a pretty stable temperature is also a factor. That goes for the butter, especially.....like I said, if it's cold it will melt slower and have less chance of breaking the sauce by adding too much fat too quickly.

That's everything I can think of. Hope that helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

lifts cats over head posted:

I always use clarified butter but I don't know how that would affect the breaking of the sauce. I think it should help because the butter doesn't have the milk fats.

That's the "correct" way to do it, but I haven't seen a noticeable difference. Then again, I've somehow only broken the sauce once or twice, so maybe I'm a wizard or something :iiam:

• Locked thread