Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like most stores, Trader Joe's has some good deals to get you in the door, and some bad deals to take your money. As noted, the produce is terrible. But their frozen vegetables (like leeks) are great.

You just shop at a combo of stores and buy the best deals at each (adjusting for quality). e.g.

Trader Joe's for cheese and frozen berries
Winco for spices and bulk oatmeal
Fred Meyer for saltines
Safeway for meat
Costco for potatoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

JnnyThndrs posted:

I might be a spendthrift here, but I'm not going all the way to another store for saltine crackers. What are they, 15cents cheaper than Winco?

Winco for most poo poo, Trader Joes for hippie dippie frozen meals, call it a day.

The joke is that I don't buy saltines at some fancy-rear end normal store, I'll buy them at the weird food dump stores because saltines last forever so you stock up when you see 'em there.

You can get your grocery bill to practically nothing if you're clever. Or if you're like me, you have a normal grocery bill because it's 75% cheap whatever poo poo, and 25% the finest of preserved crinoline onions because :drat: crinoline onions!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pryor on Fire posted:

More like I'm sorry you have to live in Jersey (fuckin lol, no explanation needed) or Oregon (aka the Florida of the West where everyone waddles around to their next insulin shot). Nobody cares about gasoline, just man up and join the real world.

look at this dumbass. people don't tend to be fat in oregon, because oregon is the poor idiot middle child of the western states that only produces bad art and hazlenuts

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I live really close to a Costco now, so I sometimes stop by and get their caesar salad for dinner when I'm lazy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
um actually wiping until the poo poo is gone instead of waving a single sheet in the breeze like a lady's favor over the wind-swept fields of dingleberries

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I just don't have a god damned problem making GBS threads normally!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DrPlump posted:

What are the top 10 items you have to buy every time you visit?

I never buy 10 things at once.

But usually I get berries there, fresh ones, and sometimes the ridiculous deal of chicken thighs for $5 that will last me the week. I also get Coke Zero there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

672 calories
Each muffin provides 672 calories, or 33.6 percent of the total suggested calorie intake, based on a 2,000-calorie diet. The Costco poppyseed muffins contain the most sugar of the store's muffins, with 42 g, and 75 g of total carbohydrates. Each poppyseed muffin contains 2 g of fiber and 10 g of protein.

A diet day for me is 800 calories, my usual is 1,600. lol at a 700 calorie muffin.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
so many fats in the costco

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

El Jebus posted:

I imagine they wait until it’s federally legal before they do anything. Also, I don’t need to buy my weed by the pound...

Everyone's waiting for federal legality. At the moment you can't bank admitted weed money.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I thought that you were all kind of ridiculous about the Sherpa blanket, until I went and I bought the Sherpa blanket and it's incredible

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone venture out to Costco today?

E - I am here. No trees yet.

I went and got socks. Black Friday is basically a joke now so I just walked to the checkout.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I got a rotisserie chicken today, and I'll stand by the stance that they're not that great but they're a loving great value.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It requires a big picture view, which no, most people do not seem to have

Unlike a fair number of people in this thread, I often go to Costco and do not purchase anything in the store. I'll only buy something if they have what I want. However, I will usually get a nonfat yogurt on my way out, which makes me feel like it wasn't a complete waste of my time. Without that, I'm just going there and leaving without buying anything and then I just feel kind of pissed off

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I was actually pretty close to dropping the whole exercise because on my way out from an unsuccessful excursion, I tried to get a nonfat yogurt, and I was standing there for close to 10 minutes because they were busy and they had to refill the machine or whatever. I ended up crumbling up my receipt and throwing it in the trash.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
To help contextualize a bit, I live about three minutes away from one, so that part is not very difficult.

Also I am a very frustrating customer, in that even if I go to buy something and it turns out the price has since increased, I'll just turn around and leave. Also if the line is too long, I'll go put my stuff back and leave.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I ate a costco hot dog today

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Flaggy posted:

So back story: Our store had just opened and we were signing up for accounts on Day 1. I, as a joke, filled out my name as Ticklebuns to make my wife laugh. She did not. But the manager of the this particular Costco thought it was hilarious and granted me the name Ticklebuns on my card. So now, I get asked every time I go through check out. Worth it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
olive oil I don't understand. Oil is flavorless. I've never been able to taste an oil. So what matters about oil other than its smoke point or w/e?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't eat fast food, if anything because I can't taste oil. I barely use any oils when I cook because they're calories without flavor, except butter does have a flavor. But saying avocado oil has flavor is just bizarre, avocado itself has no flavor so why would the oil have flavor? Where would it come from?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well what does it taste like to you then!?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Turmeric is a favorite spice and it is real.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yeah but what is that like to you? Peas? Grapes?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Store-bought grapes don't really have any flavor either, so to you, is an avocado like a big oily grape?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Did you at least get an oil grape?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I thought that was Corningware

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
what's somethign a single woman could buy hersoilf at costco to make the pain go away temporarily, thinking 300 dollar range

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

number 1 snake fan posted:

Brazil nuts and Chicago style popcorn both own bones you philistines

if there were a way to eat forever and never gain any weight, brazil nuts forever. forever and ever.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

depending on your state you can get *a lot* of booze there

or you can get a sherpa blanket for $20 and use the remaining $280 on 186 $1.50 dogs and sodas (with refill)

I would actually like to get another one of their Sherpa blankets, I have one and it like disappeared or something

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Never mind, I found it, it was on my bed

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fizzymercy posted:

Those sherpa blankets are too warm. They make me sweat to death even if it's cold all around me. So I get out of it to cool off, get clammy and cold, repeat until I just give up. Why do you guys enjoy these things?

so cold

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:siren: COSTCO PNW HAS KIWI BERRIES :siren:

not kiwis, "kiwi berries", aka "hardy kiwis". these are loving incredible.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

it's a small form of kiwi that has edible skin with no fuzz and a sweeter flavor

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I only really go to Costco for fruit and fish. It wouldn't be worth it if I were the only person with the card. However, I can eat many grapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Every time I walk by that giant fudge brownie I pick it up just to marvel at how heavy it is. I have absolutely no interest in buying it, but it is so loving dense