Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Costco gets some of its glorious low prices by negotiating with suppliers really really well and some of it by doing the logistics really really well. But doing the logistics really really well also means having a properly optimized number of warehouses - and the optimization probably prioritizes the spoilage effects less, because not too much of the things they sell are amenable to spoilage. Not an effect on the butcher because they have onsite butchers and ship whole sides of beef and things, but for produce there is an effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hillary clinton had book signings at costco

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-hillary-clinton-brookfield-book-tour-20170915-story.html

hot take: if she started like july 2016 we wouldn't be in the mess we are now

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/926592209809375233

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"to me, Costco represents the best of American capitalism."

https://americanaffairsjournal.org/2017/11/western-elite-chinese-perspective/

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
martyr's death

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Apparently kenji lopez alts sausage place in san mateo will feature a misratioed dog bun just like that pic

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Doxylamine is fun times as a drug
it's a first generation antihistamine anticholinergic
which means that it's p. generally safe yadda yadda
if you take too much, you can get psychosis
fun fact: the adult swim dealio, "unedited footage of a bear" depicts an antihistamine overdose

watch it here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gMjJNGg9Z8

e: also prolly the easiest hallucinogen to get for someone unwilling to break the law or pick mushrooms

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i wonder how tcc you could get in costco. costco gettin you high

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
repost but a good repost

https://americanaffairsjournal.org/2017/11/western-elite-chinese-perspective/

coolguy posted:

To me, Costco represents the best of American capitalism. It is a corporation known for having its customers and employees in mind, while at the same time it has compensated its shareholders handsomely over the years. To the customers, it offers the best combination of quality and low cost. Whenever it manages to reduce costs, it passes the savings on to customers immediately. Achieving a 10 percent gross margin with prices below Amazon’s is truly incredible. After I had been there once, I found it hard to shop elsewhere.

Meanwhile, its salaries are much higher than similar retail jobs. When the recession hit in 2008, the company increased salaries to help employees cope with the difficult environment. From the name tags the staff wear, I have seen that frontline employees work there for decades, something hard to imagine elsewhere.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
costco opened in iceland in may 2017
icelandair increased cargo flights by 40% just because of costco
other lol things
https://grapevine.is/mag/articles/2017/09/07/the-costco-craze/

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the whole nation-state has fewer peeps than, like, the part of SF that's south of market, so lol they're gonna regulate the poo poo out of things

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

therobit posted:

Buy a Costco carrot cake for the wedding cake. If a Catholic wedding, then dog and refill for the sacrament. If not a catholic wedding, see how she feels about the sacrament. If she is not willing to acknowledge Kirkland above on her wedding day, then you need to think about if you want to be with this woman for the rest of your life.

somebody has to have actually done communion with a bbq

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
here we go

http://gslconline.org/index.php/grow/pastor_carlsons_blog/hot-dog-communio

e: related:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susannahbreslin/2013/10/09/a-supposedly-sinful-burger-stirs-up-controversy/#47a86d031e45

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
$4 milk at my safeway
yay south bay area

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

MisterOblivious posted:

It's likely UHT milk. Kirkland Organic is UHT and I've had unopened cartons still fresh after 45 days in the fridge.

i've had uht milk unrefridgerated be still good after 2 years

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

it is kind of a wonder why they don't advertise more for the finished state of packaging, actually

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Flaggy posted:

Just got back from church and had 1.50 communion. Was delicious.

can't tell if actual jesus church or kirkland church
either way, is ok

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Here in Oregon at least two full aisles are dedicated to local microbrew packs with more floor space for local wine

i work right next to a place that sells 80% of the existing microbrew brands in the western united states
it good. our friday drinking is on point

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Costco is pretty much the only place I buy Rogue beers considering how grossly overpriced they are everywhere (which even then isn't often cause the company loving sucks).

oh yah, that company sucks
it's not that company, it's a grocery store with a madman for a stocking manager

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the spirit of yospos tells you: don't get smart tv's, lol
internet of things is the internet of poo poo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Relevant Tangent posted:

Saw an actual monk (robe, sandals, tonsure) and a nun while taking communion. It was funny, the monk had a guy to handle his money for him.

saw a zen monk at a korean costco once hanging round the outside while apparently a dude was in there shopping for an in kind donation

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Mo_Steel posted:

Has anyone tried the Costco delivery of groceries via InstaCart? I feel like this is brand new; they've got items marked Same Day and 2-Day Delivery. The only downside is I don't think they would bring me a Dog or Hot Pizza.

i tried it 2.5 years ago
they put a 40% to 100% markup on it
and then a 25% non-tip delivery fee on top of that
and then a 10% minimum tip on top of that

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
used to work for lady gaga's startup, which was exactly as bullshit as you would think. they called me h-man

we bought lotta poo poo from costco

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

poisonpill posted:

You can't just dropa bomb like this and then chill. lady gaga startup?

It was like ning, or Facebook groups, back when Facebook groups sucked technically (they continue to suck for content)

It failed for technical reasons and because Facebook ate its lunch

Half the programmers were Croatians so they couldn't pronounce American names and of course vice versa, so that's why everyone started the first initial - man name thing

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i wonder what would be like the open and secret rituals of the sco

like, there would be the sunday dog and that would be an open ritual that you could tell your auntie bob about but there would also be dark chantings of blood under a moonlit night, with ecstatic dancing and knives and goats in the woods

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if any of yall are seriouspostin about not knowing what al pastor is, it just means "shepherd style" and is supposed to be meat grilled with a giant spit made with a special marinade

a thing which is basically impossible to do with textured veg protein

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Good Dog posted:

I don't know what the Tustin Costco has at the food court because I don't eat that stuff. I had half a hotdog once and it was pretty good but still just a hot dog.

burn him on the steak

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

FormatAmerica posted:

Brothers and sisters I redeemed my rewards today, $420 cash, and bought some ribeye caps, a bunch of wine, and enough toilet paper for the two of us for the next six months.

I didn't get a dog because it was very busy and I needed to get my steaks home but I get to go all the time for lunch during the work week so not a huge loss.

PBUC.

sounds like you need to get the dog before doing your shopping

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

binge crotching posted:

The issue with those is that hot stone bibimbap is the best kind, and it's not something you can easily do at home.

the essential part of that is nurunji and that's actually trivial to do at home w/o the stone, just anything with direct heat

cleanup is a bitch

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sear not too thick but that's sv for you i guess

it good tho

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
realistically, it's the fact that they have an insanely good batna handy so they make manufacturers fight against each other to give a better quality product and a better quality deal

walmart does the same, but only for a better quality deal, product can go gently caress itself. also, everything else about the company is poo poo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Grass fed is better for the cow

You may have noticed that killing is not good for the cow

I say drat the cows

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Chinatown posted:

rich people are some of the cheapest motherfuckers on the face of the earth

Single digit millionaires are cheap fucks

Billionaires aren't

It matters if you live in Palo alto

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
walmart runs a series of "academies" which are training dealios

https://corporate.walmart.com/photos/walmart-training-academies

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

binge crotching posted:

I have way too many friends who work at the corporate office and tell me horror stories about the management. It's apparently a great place to work on the business side of things, but IT is a disaster.

what walmart did was they acquired jet.com and then told them to make things not as crap

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Burn it down

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i wonder if the costco in kirkland wa is actually better in some way than other costcos

a secret vault reachable by hitting some correct piano keys, down a winding staircase and a fireman's pole, where you can buy the batmobile

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Much of the consumer benefit of Costco is by putting suppliers on the rack and twisting them until they give discounts and guarantee quality. This requires that they have the viable threat of walking the gently caress away. This also requires that they exercise that threat every so often

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

why does apple even need a store? they only sell like 4 different things

apple does among the most business per square foot of nearly any major inperson retail store, and by far the most profit per square foot

the vast cavernous spaces are flaunting the fact that the phones sell like drat hotcakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/06/17/who-is-costcos-favorite-customer.aspx

Average customer income 100 grand

Best ansatz for incomes is always power law. If your co is crowded, chances are there's some jackass earning 1 million walking around there