Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got four pork tenderloins from Costco for something stupid cheap like $12. I made pork wellington for dinner this weekend, and then again last night. A delicious and decadent dish for the price of a fast food meal. PBUC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm slightly disappointed that my local Costco has stopped carrying the 2 lb. 2-packs of Kirkland plain nonfat greek yogurt. They now carry single 3 lb. tubs of organic plain nonfat greek yogurt, which makes my life slightly difficult as I now need to portion it out for my breakfast in the morning rather than eat straight from the tub. Also, the price is the same as the 2-packs so it's less of a value.

However, it is surprisingly more delicious than the previous non-organic variety.

PBUC.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

At my Costco after I declined the Executive membership, they put a little star sticker (like the "you get a gold star!" kind) on my card to notify them that I wasn't interested so they wouldn't hound me on future visits.

Basically what I'm saying is that my Costco rules.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Taima posted:

I mean, an IPA generally starts degrading at somewhere between 2 weeks and 6 weeks in the bottle (due to various factors like dry hopping, etc) and usually when a new IPA comes in stock it will already have been bottled roughly 6-8 weeks before showing up in the store, essentially invalidating the beer before it even goes on sale.

Huh? IPAs were originally developed to be able to withstand months worth of (unrefrigerated) travel from the UK to India. They certainly won't be worse off than any other style of beer.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Taima posted:

You're arguing with me about this specific point when you obviously have no clue what you're talking about whatsoever.

Let me draw a quick parallel for you, ok?

"Hard tack, when packaged appropriately, can keep for years. Therefore no one should care how old their bread as long as it's under 3 years old"

I hope this analogy leads you to a richer understanding of this complex and nuanced topic.

oh ok

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Anyone get their eye glasses at Costco? Are they good?

Yes, and yes.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bought enough candy in the form of Kirkland variety bags for $30 to give to 100 trick-or-treaters. We'll be lucky if we get 25 tonight. Do I return the second bag after Halloween like a dick, or do I get fat on candy? Decisions, decisions.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

slave to my cravings posted:

I only wear urban star jeans because of the stretchiness. It allows me to eat as many 'co dogs as I want and my pants still fit.

:hf:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Costco is great for reminding me that I needed new wiper blades. That plus some Rain-X wiper fluid, and my windshield's never had it so good.

Frozen chicken protip: skip the Purdue 10 lb. bag. Yes, they're cheaper by weight than the Kirkland individually-wrapped breasts, but they're much lower quality. Do yourself a favor and get the good poo poo.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone see any slippers for sale at the 'Co lately? Now that the weather is cooling off, and my house has hardwood, I gotta get something to keep my feet warm.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Bought this TV from Costco on Sunday for $449
https://www.costco.com/TCL-55-Class...zbd2mM26S6PEr36

It's a nice TV and having a 4 year warranty on it it just :kiss:

I got that exact TV about three weeks ago for $419.99 :cool:

It is a really good TV for the price.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

No Butt Stuff posted:

I can't wait for my executive cash back check, in addition to the card check. My card suffered on the cash back when I was churning for a few months this year, but I should still get like 300 or so which is cool because it buys my groceries plus a standing rib roast for my birthday or something.

This guy Costcos.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Unbeknownst to me, my membership expired 11/30 and I stopped to get some gas on my way home from work on 12/1. Wouldn't you know it, they actually allow you to get gas one time after your membership expires so you don't feel like an idiot and have to waste time going in to renew your membership before you fill your tank. Stopped in yesterday to do some shopping and renewed my membership to the faith. PBUC.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

At my Costco there is a blind man (like, literally blind, cannot see, not that he sells blinds) who stands in front of one of those random home furnishing displays on the path out of the warehouse. He's very friendly and says hello to everyone as they walk out, but for the life of me I can't decipher what he is trying to pitch as all he ever does is say hello to people, never trying to sell them on anything.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I came back into the office today after a couple weeks of traveling/working from home and guess what was on my desk as a holiday gift from the higher-ups?

That's right, a sherpa throw. I feel like there is only one place this could have come from, and my faith is confirmed. PBUC.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

PBUC for opening its gas station super early. Headed to work the other day, asscrack of dawn, gas light on and needle under E. I drive by the church on my way every day and not only was the gas station open with no lines whatsoever, but the gas clerk made some pleasant and light conversation with me about the holidays. It set my mood for the rest of the day. :D

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ArbitraryC posted:

anyone have experience with costco's cheap ground coffee? I don't mind folgers and such so I'd probably be fine with it but just figured I'd ask first.

I bought it for a couple months after my grinder broke (well, it didn't break, my wife saw a bug crawl out of it and refused to let me use it any more even after disassembling and washing it, but :words: ) and I was too lazy to replace it, and for mass-market ground coffee, it's easily the best I've ever had. I wouldn't ever take it over fresh-ground, but it's pretty drat decent.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

binge crotching posted:

I returned a 1 year old electric toothbrush that stopped working, so depends upon what is wrong with it I guess.

Did you have the box, by chance? My wife got me a Sonicare (two-pack, of course) for Xmas and hers mysteriously stopped working/charging. We tossed the box, and I feel kind of awkward just bringing in a used toothbrush to the Customer Service desk.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've been buying Costco milk since I got my membership back in 2009 and I've never once had an issue or come anywhere close to spillage from the jug when I pour it. I have no idea what is wrong with all of you, but clearly Big Non-Costco Milk has gotten to you.

Organic crap is for people who read their horoscope

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Hey guy who works at Costco, how do they cook the Italian sausages? Ever since they introduced it I haven't been able to go back to the $1.50 dog and soda (with refill). It's so gloriously juicy and delicious, and the skin always has a nice char to it. Do they cook it under the chain broiler they use for pizzas?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Argyle posted:

My Citi Visa rewards cert came and I'm looking to blow it on a TV. Was going to use it toward a fancy Samsung but the $339 TCL 55inch 4K has me questioning if it's worth paying more. I figure with a 7-year warranty (Costco+Citi+SquareTrade) there's minimal risk involved.

Anybody have one?

I bought one for a little over $400 at church several months back and I've been so pleased with it that I recently purchased a second one (49 inch) for my spare bedroom. 4K is awesome and after gaming on it, I can't go back to 1080p.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Picked up a ravioli lasagna at Costco for dinner last night, it was absolutely amazing. Definitely gonna get it again if I'm not feeling up to cooking on a lazy evening.

Costcotip: check your own receipts carefully for the time being. Got charged for an extra pack of canned chicken, and the guy at the podium taking care of the refund said they had a brand new register system and were still getting used to it. Not sure if it's nationwide or just my 'Stco, but word to the wise.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Rutibex posted:

all those prepared salads and meals at the back were very tempting. but I am a single man and not a family of 5 so i didn't think i could eat the whole thing before it went bad

every pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I made a pilgrimage yesterday and one of the samples being given out was literally just a hunk of fried cheese. It was gobsmackingly delicious.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

This article is garbage and I automatically hate its author.

quote:

Most of Costco’s demographic is middle- and high-income households — the exact same demographic as Amazon Prime. The kicker is that Amazon Prime’s $119 membership awards them more than just groceries and a growing number of bulk essentials. Costco’s $60 annual fee and product line can’t say the same.

Oh really? So the cheap tires, propane, vacation packages, no-haggle new car buying experience, discounts on home and auto insurance, cheap prescriptions, and whole bunch of other things I can't remember, don't count?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Not to mention the cost of Prime is going up, so it now costs twice as much as an annual Costco membership.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I'm not in the business of telling people what to like, but jars of minced garlic don't taste like garlic to me and I loving love garlic. Lacking fresh garlic, I would choose a good quality garlic powder over preserved minced garlic 100% of the time.

Fortunately Costco sells both for people with different tastes than I have, PBUC!

Costco also sells large bags of peeled garlic cloves in the refrigerated section near the fresh tortillas, basil pesto, cowboy caviar, etc. It's the best of both worlds.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Meydey posted:

I'm Considering their battery operated lawnmower now for $399. My Troy Bilt is getting rusty.

I pulled the trigger on a battery-powered lawn mower last year (this one to be exact, not sure which one Costco offers) and it was well worth the price premium. Powerful as hell, battery runtime is good and they charge super quick, and I don't have to mess with gas or oil. Highly recommended.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Just wanted to pop in and say that it took me probably a decade, but I finally bought and tried the frozen stir-fry vegetable mix. It is excellent, and righteous, and amazingly inexpensive for 5.5 lbs of high-quality frozen veggies.

I just made an interstate move and now live a 10-minute drive from Costco. Life is good.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Decided I'm going to do a beef wellington for Xmas dinner this year. Looking forward to dropping some serious coin on a Prime tenderloin from the 'Co :getin:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Hey so I bought a pair of the Urban Star jeans for 14.99 yesterday and they are pretty loving comfortable.

They are stretchy and look pretty good.

A++ deffo gonna buy some more.

https://www.costco.com/Urban-Star-Men%27s-Relaxed-Fit-Jean.product.100084867.html

Its these but they only had blue in store. I might check out the black and grey though.

Those jeans rule. I have two pairs and they make all other non-stretchy jeans feel like wearing burlap sacks on my legs, plus the stretchiness doesn't lead to them being all wrinkled from the dryer like a lot of other stretchy material clothing can get. Highly recommended, and at that price!!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Currently in the process of buying a house and we already decided we are going to replace the shallow sink with a deeper-bowl model and also add a garbage disposal.

Guess what was on sale at Costco this weekend? $350 later, we are pleased as punch that we don't have to expend any more energy finding exactly what we were looking for.

PBUC!!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got this awesome couch/futon thing at my local Costco for $299. It is really really good. Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

poisonpill posted:

Is there a coupon or something? I see $580

No, it's a lot cheaper in the warehouse because on the website the shipping is "included" in the sense that they just add it to the cost of the product itself and it's a large 140 lb. box so it's not cheap to ship.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nooner posted:

lol at a grown rear end man having a futon

lol at not being able to afford a $300 futon :smug:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SirPablo posted:

I've run the numbers, buying an extra freezer and running it for a year just to store more food is too expensive.

Have you considered the fuel savings from fewer Costco runs to stock up if you have a side freezer, rather than more frequent trips to restock your overly small current freezer?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Costco pot pie is the only ready-to-cook fresh Costco product I've ever been terribly disappointed with. Just an overall lack of seasoning. Granted, the last time I had it was more than six years ago, and I've been gunshy about trying it again so maybe it's improved, but I'm still hesitant.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My local 'Co is now offering a 6-pack of strawberry-filled, powdered-sugar-dusted croissants for like $9. They looked amazing but unfortunately, were a bit of a letdown. The moisture from the strawberry filling kinda permeated the whole croissant and removed any crispness from the layers. They're still very tasty, but if I want some real croissant action, I'm going to have to stick to the regular 12-packs they have.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Erisian Automata posted:

I realize that I'm partially at fault for starting the kirkland TP debate but let us instead focus on different matters - costco produce: It has a bad rap, and indeed the giant sacks of limes/lemons/potatoes/onions need to be watched lest they go bad, but drat do the peppers and even the mixed greens mega-cartons stay fresh.

I've had great experiences with produce from the chilled section (mushrooms, salad greens, spinach, kale, broccoli), but pretty much universally bad experiences with produce held at room temperature aside from the tomatoes (particularly the Campari variety).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

To anyone who is a fan of frozen pizzas as I am, do yourself a favor and avoid the hell out of the Lotzza Motzza pizzas the 'Co has for sale.

To wit: my first attempt, I cooked it as directed right on the oven rack. This pizza has a lot of cheese, so a healthy amount of it melted and dripped to the bottom of the oven floor, leading to a bunch of smoke and a bunch of stank. Also, the directions said to cook it at 400 for something like 18-23 minutes. After that amount of time, the crust was still floppy as hell and the internal temperature was only about 90 degrees. I ended up having to cook it for close to 40 minutes to get it to an edible temperature.

The second one I cooked (since it comes in a 2-pack, PBUC) I did on a sheet tray, but since that prevented any air circulation on the bottom, it led to an even soggier crust and took just as long as the first one.

Finally, reheating them in the oven was an absolute disaster, since they stuck hopelessly to the foil on which they were cooked and didn't even resemble pizza once I scraped them onto a plate the best I could.

Avoid at all costs.