Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

feedmegin posted:

Umm or Michigan as far as I remember. Meijer will happily sell you whisky so I assume Costco does too.

I've been buying a lot of Kirkland whiskey and tequila here in Michigan. It's good stuff. Having a Costco five minutes from my house is so nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

RoboBoogie posted:

Don't they refund your membership if you don't earn enough rewards to cover your membership fees or am I thinking of something else.

Yeah, they did that for me. They take your reward check, then just bump it up to $60 (or whatever) and drop you back down to a normal membership.

I then immediately said "And I'd like to bump that back up to an executive membership..."
$65 and I got executive for this year, and I've been spending enough there to finally make up for it I think.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Has anyone gotten carpeting through Costco? They use some Shaw Carpeting exclusively, and subcontract out the work. I was just wondering if it's comparable to something like Home Depot's 'buy the carpet, free installation' kind of thing. I figure even if Costco is a little more, 2% back for the exec, 2% back for the credit card and 15% back for a special October deal (normally 10%) should bring it back into line. If it starts off cheaper, then that's just amazing.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My wife is afraid that the sherpa throw we got a year ago sheds and bothers our breathing, so she took it and packed it into a duvet cover.

Not as soft, but it feels like a 500 degree lead blanket. Which can be good or bad, depending on the weather/level of autism.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Just put in my info to start the carpet process through Costco's deal with Shaw Flooring. Should get contacted within two days, and then they send a person out with a bunch of samples to pick from, they measure the area and give an exact amount of what you will pay. Hope the price beats Home Depot, and it's not garbage carpet. 15% cash back for October, with 2% exec and 2% credit card will be really nice.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Costco flooring locally are booked out for weeks. I put in my info in the costco website, and I got a call a day later from some local flooring company contracted out to Costco. "When would you like us to come out with the samples?" "Tuesday would be great," "Oh haha we are booked out for three weeks."

Then why are you asking me when I'm free? Tell me when you're free. Earliest date please!

So, October 30th I'm having their person come out with the flooring samples, take the measurements, and get the total written right there. Which is great, except the month's 15% cashback bonus ends on the 28th. Wonder if they'll still honor it.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ravendas posted:

Costco flooring locally are booked out for weeks. I put in my info in the costco website, and I got a call a day later from some local flooring company contracted out to Costco. "When would you like us to come out with the samples?" "Tuesday would be great," "Oh haha we are booked out for three weeks."

Then why are you asking me when I'm free? Tell me when you're free. Earliest date please!

So, October 30th I'm having their person come out with the flooring samples, take the measurements, and get the total written right there. Which is great, except the month's 15% cashback bonus ends on the 28th. Wonder if they'll still honor it.

Minor update:
I talked to the dude always standing in front of the kiosks for these kind of things on my way out today. I told him the story above, and asked if I'd get the 15% or not. He kinda waffled, saying that I should, but it's usually done by the day it's paid for, but then again they sometimes have a week or two leeway period to still get it, but if not I can just come back in and talk to him and he'll 'pull some strings' to get the extra 5% (since the standard deal is 10%). He also said it comes direct from Costco, so the company it gets farmed to might not even know if I qualify for it or not, but it would still be good to mention.

The samples and measuring guy comes out next week, I'll update with how that goes.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Just had the Costco rep'd carpet guy come out to measure and pick out the carpet and such.

My 22' x 34' basement with the stairs in the middle (donut style), with the best pad, some 9lb 1/2" stuff, and a nice open loop pile, with existing carpet ripup and take away and everything involved is $3300. They're still allowing the 15% back from the October deal, so that brought it down to 2850 or so, which was the high end of my estimate (2500ish), but it looked like quality stuff, so I signed for it.

Just in case others were thinking about the costco carpet scheme.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Same. Here in Wisconsin it'd be very dangerous because snow can pile up very high on roofs. That can crash through the skylights.

Pork butt is pork shoulder.

Here in Michigan the Costco near me has skylights. The lights in the building auto-dim when it's detecting enough natural light coming through. I'm pretty sure the building has been there for a decade+, and it's dealt with the tons of snow just fine.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My car now has costco tires. $560 for good Michelin tires, installed. Their warranty is great too, free fixes, free ~nitrogen~ fillups, free wheel balancing and rotations. I didn't have an appointment, but it got done in about two hours on a Monday afternoon.

Two hours of wandering costco is dangerous, I found a lot of things I'd like to have.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I walked in, said i needed tires, and had them within two hours. It was at 4pm on a Monday in a relatively busy costco. I work from home, so I can just go in at weird times if I want to get a rotation or whatever.

$560 installed, with warranty, free fixes, free rotations and whatnot seemed pretty good.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

We bought my dad a sherpa blanket from Costco for Christmas, since he loves him some naps. My sister happened to have bought him the exact same thing, except Sam's Club version.

Vastly. Inferior.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Schmeichy posted:

Sam's club is trash for idiots

My sister and parents don't live near a costco, they just have a Sam's Club. We live like 5min from one, and go there at least once a week. We're actually going to go soon, need a party tray or desserts or something for people coming over tomorrow.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My wife made me return the extra sherpa that my dad gave up in favor of the Sam's Club version.

"We already have two, why do we need more?"

We just... do. We just do.

Also, not severing from my sister because her and her friend visited my costco after I've been talking it up for awhile. "I can see why he talks this place up, this feels... nice."

She's not an apostate, she just doesn't have access to the true warehouse.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

We have to have the seat next to the kitchen window where you can see the pizzas being made. It entrances my kids.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

priznat posted:

It is weird some of the stuff they have for samples. Like one time I saw cups of olive oil. Do you just drink it like a shot? I was in a hurry so did not investigate.

The ones with the entire infrastructure to bake/toast/grill/whatever are the top tier pro employees and there is usually a bit of a crowd around those sample stations.

I've had the olive oil samples. They give you a little bit of toast or bread to mop it up.

Samples are basically how I keep my 4yo and 1yo in the cart while in Costco. If we don't have a new sample in their hands before they finish the previous one, trouble starts. It's also an easy way to get them to try new foods.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I go to Costco with my wife and two little kids, and we usually eat there at a table. We have to have a table with an umbrella though, even though it's indoors. My 4yo demands it.

like $7-8 for all of us to eat, it's great.

Edit: Michigan here, no chicken strips.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Peachfart posted:

Best ramen bowls are the ones in the freezer section with real veggies and meat, so so good.

My wife gets the shin black ramen from asian marts near us, and then dumps a whole bunch of fresh veggies in with it.

She'll get a big pot, open up two packs of ramen into it, dump a ton of broccoli, mushrooms and whatever random veggies, crack an egg or two in there, and then we just split it straight out of the pot.

Good comfort food. I just wish costco had the plain packs of it, and not the cups.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Taima posted:

You should consider getting into hot pot if you have a real deal asian market nearby. It's so drat good, and low carb.

We used to live in Taiwan, we know all about hot pot. She makes it occasionally, it's great.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Captain Beans posted:

I have a Costco 5 minutes from work and 5 minutes from home so I’m ‘stco-ing all the time

going to the one by work in the middle of a weekday owns, going on the weekend is a madhouse in the parking lot. gas lines are loving bananas too, I don’t understand lining up 30 deep to save 7 cents a gallon but whatever

They're usually like 25c a gallon cheaper here in Michigan. My closest one is about 5 minutes away, so I run in there probably twice a week, and almost always get my gas from there.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Costco stopped selling the 36 sq. ft. interlocking foam floor tiles for $9.99 and now only sells a different brand 24 sq. ft. interlocking foam floor tiles for $19.99. What a rip. :mad:

Yeah, just found that out. I bought their octopus tentacle kids pool, and wanted to have some nice foam tiles from them to put under it in my backyard. It would have been $60 in foam tiles now though, so that's out of the question.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Speaking of chicken bakes, the last time we went my wife ordered one, but said it was too oily or burnt or something.

So

She peeled it. Like a banana.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Thats just a burrito

Yeah, that was my take too. Chickenbake is just a burrito with an extra layer of bread around it.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

We bought the caramel creme brulee things (or maybe it was flans?) because we wanted some tiny glass cups from them. I didn't realize other dessert items also had little glass dishes. We'll have to get them sometime.

Collect the whole Costco tiny glass collection.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Original_Z posted:

Costco has finally opened in China! How did the locals take to it?

https://qz.com/1695894/here-are-the-crazy-scenes-from-costcos-opening-day-in-china/

More converts to the church of Costco!

Costco has been in Taiwan for over a decade already :cool: I went there a few times, it was kind of far off from where I lived though, and my apartment didn't really hold the bulk quantities you get at Costco.

Taiwan best China.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

How many bags of candy yall get. We do like 3 or 4.

Bought four boxes of the full size bars.

$_$

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Anyone ever try these beef sticks?

Seem like a good way to get beefy in between meals. I bought a pack. Hopefully they're good.

Those are a staple in my house. They come in three packages wrapped together, we just open up one package at a time, snap all of them into thirds, place them in a container in the fridge, and snack on them over a week.

My wife even slices them into small strips, along with some costco sharp white cheddar, for snacks when friends arrive.

They're good.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Got my executive yearly 2% cashback check last week.

$204.

I seem to have spent a lot at Costco last year. Though a decent chunk of that was from getting carpet, which was like 3.5k or something.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Has anyone got tires from costco? Is it cheaper than tire rack

I did, and I don't know.

They give you free tire rotations every 8k miles or so for the life of the tires. I took mine in a few weeks ago for that, and it got done while I was shopping. They also patched a leak for free, since one of the tires was low.

Though, afterwards I saw that one of the tires was registering a 0 on the PSI, so I went back in to let them know they broke something. They pulled it back in, replaced the sensor for free, and I was out again after maybe 20 minutes.

So, free rotations, free air fillups, free patching, and when they screw something up, they fixed it for free. All while I'm wandering the aisles. I

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Went through three boxes of big bars/candy from Costco. I planned on going through 2-3, so that worked just fine. The 4th I bought just in case is unopened, and is going back soon.

Costco is great.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Joe Friday posted:

Has anyone scoped the electric blanket situation? I'm looking for both throw sized blankets and heating pads/comforters for queen beds. My apartment is made of crumbling brick and cold war era sawdust.

I bought the king sized heated blanket from Costco. I keep my house at 62'f at night, and this thing set to heat level 5 out of 20 keeps me warm. Auto-off after 10 hours, made of a nice material, no obvious thick wires in it really.

I like it!

I haven't tried to wash it yet though. Maybe I'll try that before it passes the costco return time limit.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Any hotdog sticking out of the bun is cut off with a knife, claimed by my two year old.

My wife ordered another chicken bake today, and peeled off the outer layer again. There was just a pile of crusty peelings on her wrapper when she was done. She was also squeezing it like a gogurt for our two year old to get some chicken bits.

A++ would eat again, turned 45deg facing away from my wife so I don't have to watch.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

LadyPictureShow posted:

Our vacuum gave up the ghost and the Dyson was on sale at the Co...

Holy moly what a vacuum!

Yeah, we just got a Dyson v11, the highest end one at Costco, for $450. It's pulling dust out of our carpet that our corded vacuum wasn't. Also with all the attachments off, it kind of looks like some scifi blaster.

The mattress tool was perfect for vacuuming my boardgame table.

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1211736537693609984/photo/1

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I've got the Costco credit card now, which basically replaced the Amazon one in my wallet.

4% gas vs 2% gas,
3% dining vs 2% dining.

It also replaced my Costco membership card, so this credit card lightened my wallet up by a net of 1!

I just wish you could pull the cash out when you want, instead of getting a yearly check.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

FCKGW posted:

It has your face and membership number right on the back :psyduck:

Even a little scan bar, which is definitely not a usual thing on a credit card.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ate a hotdog in Michigan a few days ago, paying close attention to the bun.

Seedless, as usual. Which is good, I don't like sesame seeds.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

No panic buying at my Michigan Costco. Plenty of toilet paper and water available. Zero reported cases here though.

We bought more food than we usually do though, mostly non-perishable stuff that we're buying extra of ~just in case~. It'll all get used sometime, at the worst we're just frontloading some expenses this year.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I went to mine in Michigan yesterday at 4pm. There was a queue outside to get in, which wrapped through the cart holding area inside with some pallets as barriers. Every few minutes they would let the next batch of 20 or so carts go in, to space out shoppers in the store I guess.

90% of the customers had masks of some type on, half had gloves on. There were a lot of people working that just didn't wear a mask at all, some did though. The clear plastic barriers were up on the checkouts, and they had yellow lines on the ground at checkout to specify how far back to stand. They also had someone working there unload my cart for me, and then load it for me, without my help, so that we didn't have two people adjacent to the cart at the same time.

Bought $551 of stuff, though $100 of that was grass seed and lawn stuff. My biggest Costco cart-based purchase yet.

Though, there were some old people treating this as some kind of joke. A 70+ year old couple left the store with zero ppe and like three things in their cart, gawking and smiling at everyone in masks.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Went to Costco today. Almost everyone had a mask on, and those that didn't were offered masks at the door.

"If you are willing to, I have masks for you to wear"
"Haha, no thanks, we're good!" -A mother/daughter pair like 50's/20's

I saw maybe 5 people the whole time without masks, but oh boy, they looked smug about it.

The only fresh meat available here in Michigan was that $120ish packs of some kind of beef, and some little expensive packs of venison. I picked up another ham and some sausage to make due in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I really hated these. I don't know if maybe my batch was bad or I'm just not cooking them right or whatever, but the noodles always came out really... Starchy?...and not good. Even when cooking them for less time. I dunno. Maybe they're supposed to be that way but I'd much rather get any other type of noodle.

I met my wife living in Taiwan for nearly a decade, and I bought some of these.

She made them as legit as possible, and they seemed good to me? They're not just supposed to be noodles floating in water.

Also, I've been checking costco.com for a 7cbft chest freezer for a few weeks. They have a few that come in stock, then disappear an hour later. I finally snagged one, should be here on Thursday. The food saver is on sale starting this week too, which works perfectly. My next trip is going to be 90% frozen and meats as we fill that thing up.