Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The Japanese Costco foodcourt has the hot dog combo for 180yen and slices of pizza are 300 yen, they used to be 250 yen but they raised the price a few years ago. They also used to have good Chicken Provolone sandwiches but changed them to Chicken Bakes. They have Bulgogi bakes as well which are pretty good and recently changed the recipe to it.

Anyway going there makes it feel like you're back in America with idiots just running through the aisles with oversized carts and being oblivious to their surroundings. They do have a good mix of imported and domestic products, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I don't think I've seen Pub Mix in the Japanese version.

Actually the Costco here seems like it'd be really unpopular due to the large sizes and necessity of a car but against all stereotypes of Japanese tastes it's incredibly popular. The sizes seem to be similar to the American ones although they're a bit more expensive. I suppose it's mainly for families with houses or people with larger flats to store it all, I used to go by train but it was a miserable experience so now I just rent a car once a month and stock up.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Japanese version:

Upon looking for this picture I saw other versions with much higher prices, especially with the hot dog, which was terribly confusing to me since I always remember it being 180 yen. Apparently the prices used to be variable and would change (I'm assuming) based on exchange rates, but I guess some smart guy decided to cut the BS and just keep the price standard.

To be honest there's nothing really exciting about the Japanese version compared to other countries.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The Japanese Costco recently changed their Muffin packaging, I think you choose 2 packs of 6 now, similar to how bagels work. Well, maybe they changed it in other countries too.

Those things are dangerous as hell, in terms of calories. I used to eat them throughout the day since they were so filling, but that can't be so good for you. They expire after a few days though so you're kind of on a time limit to finish them off!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Woah, the Sauerkraut for the dogs isn't standard in the States? In the Japanese Costcos it's one of the condiments, right next to the onions in a big container. I always load my dog up with it!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Does anyone else think Costco should modify the carts to have a dog/pizza holder so you can chew while you cruise?

I don't know if it's just a thing with the Japanese Costcos but they won't let you eat stuff in the shopping area, I tried it once and they told me to go back to the food court until I was finished.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Real Mean Queen posted:

The lady and I don't have a car and mostly I love that fact because it's cheap and easy and we can get as drunk as we want, but the idea that there's an adjacent reality where I could go and buy a pallet of lacroix and also a couple of those half gallon-sized boxes of goldfish really makes me think about asking life questions. If they've got those barrels of three popcorns with pictures of christmas on them around christmas time, we might need to make some arrangements.

I don't have a car either, but that's no excuse! Once a month I rent a car for the specific purpose of going to Costco to stock up and partake in some delicious hot dog with free refill.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

TheManWithNoName posted:

Has anyone else read this magical complaint book at the front of the store? Sorry for the crappy pics.

It's actually pretty impressive how detailed the answers are, any other store would probably just be a big list of "Thank you for your feedback".

The best are the ones where they respond to people complaining about not having something with "item is currently in stock at this location", how embarrassing it must be for the complainer!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Today I went to the local Costco and of course stopped by the food court.

Wait a second...there's something different...

Roast beef sandwich! I've never seen it before! And that's not all...

Well, I had to try them! First the roast beef!

Overall not a bad sandwich and about as good as you'd get for the price in Japan. I don't know if I'll order it again though since it's by far the most expensive thing on the menu and I'd probably just go back to the hot dog.

The Hawaiian pizza was very good though, I'll definitely order it again if it's still available!

Since I didn't get a hot dog with refill I had to stop by the water vending machine instead.

Anyway, my hunger satisfied, I got my shopping done, not a bad haul today.

I don't know if it's a thing elsewhere but in Japan if you use the official Costco bags they'll pack your stuff up at the register, so no need to worry about stacking things around.

Overall another successful journey with some new surprises! PBUC!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

binge crotching posted:

Apparently someone thinks they have a better dog

What's this Gourmet Dog Japon? Some sort of fake Japanese hotdog? Japan isn't known for dogs at all and they're usually total dogshit when you can find them unless you just buy the imported ones, ironically Costco probably has the best hotdogs in the country (and even then they're pork, not beef).

Costco needs no "cultural appropriation", their offerings are universal and loved no matter which country you're in!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Teikanmi posted:

bahahahaha owning a car in Tokyo are you nuts dude, aside from how unbelievably expensive it is and how insane the traffic is, the train and subway system in Japan is kind of one of the things they're known for

Also Tokyo is loving huge, it takes like an hour for me to go from my house (the star) to the Kawasaki Costco, you probably just don't realize how loving massive the city is

edit: see for yourself

Just rent a car like I do, it’s definitely worth it to get your Costco fix!

If you absolutely must use the trains then the Shin Misato location is the best one since it’s close to the train stations, the other ones are a pretty good hike away.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Costco japan food court report:

New menu items:

-green tea ice cream
- chicken ciabatta hot sandwich

Removed:

-roast beef sandwich
-chicken bake

That is all.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

ArbitraryC posted:

every costco I've seen in WA has a big entrance and a big exit, the big exit is where you go in for signing up/returns/food courts and they don't card you (other than during the return), the big entrance they card you but the person is never paying attention anyways and you could probably walk in if you want. They card you at the normal registers 100% of the time tho.

I've found it to be very inconsistent at my shop. It's similar how there's a big entrance and exit with the signup and food court at the exit side, and I always just enter through there to start my shopping off with a full stomach. 90% of the time they don't say anything, although that's probably due to the exit checkers always being busy with the customers leaving. Once in awhile they'll ask where I'm going and will be satisfied if I say the food court, sometimes they ask to see my card, and once they told me that I'm not supposed to do that and I have to go through the entrance regardless of where I'm going.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Another visit to Costco Japan! Chicken Provolone sandwich has been replaced by Chicken Bake, they also have a really good jelly bean chocolate bark now.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I've used Costco Optical in the Japanese stores but I think the prices and process here is completely different since insurance doesn't cover eyecare in this country and they use domestic lenses so the options are different. Usually the "designer" frames are around $100-150 (including Ray Bans), and the normal ones are around $50, and the lenses are also another $40 (although you can add things like bifocals or anti-blue light coating to increase the price). I picked up 3 pairs from them, 2 titanium Police brand and one lesser brand, one of them I put transitions in, total cost was around $600 (the transitions are around $200 by themselves though so that inflated it). I don't know how competitive this is with other Japanese retailers since I've only bought glasses from Costco, but people online seem to say that the frames are a great deal there.

Sites like Zenni seem cheap but I've heard varying things online, that the frames are cheap and break easily and I've also heard that their prescriptions can be "within standard", so I'm worried about paying for a pair and seeing that the prescription is slightly different from my normal ones which would be a huge nuisance and people say returns to Zenni can be a hassle. I wear my glasses for a long time and have never had them break or whatever, so I might as well just pay a bit more for the guaranteed quality and if something does happen I know Costco will have my back.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Someone needs to make a version of this site with Costco-related images.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Made the journey to the Japanese Costco again, food court updated their seasonal items. The seasonal pizza is a 4-cheese one that's pretty good, seasonal soft serve is strawberry which was also very good, better than competing strawberry soft serve. PBUC!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Yeah, it seems like they do read and consider everything that goes into the suggestion box and even respond to it even if they're nonsense. Someone here once posted a picture of the response to suggestions and half of them were like "we still stock this item".

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Decided to make trip to the local Japanese Costco and checked out the new food court additions.

So, now we have Chili beans potato, Cold brew coffee, and Very berry sundae. Decided to try out the chili potato.

Wedge fries with chili and cheese, it was quite good as expected although due to the price I'm not sure if I'd order it over anything else on the menu. Maybe it's something you're supposed to buy and share with the group but I had no problems eating it myself along with a dog.

But that wasn't the only surprise!

Never have I been so excited to use a gas station!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Yeah the Bulgogi bake is ace, packed full of meat and filling as hell.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
http://cds.costcojapan.jp/cds/mail-images/upz/180726_2saw/thu26d/pc_index.html

Ohhhh yeah, Japan finally got the burger! Will try and report back when possible.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I finally got the burger, like everyone else seems to say it is pretty mediocre, super well-done and not very good. Plenty of toppings though, if they took it off the cooker a bit earlier then it might have potential.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Japanese Costco’s cheeseburger is now a double cheeseburger! I don’t know if it’s a worldwide change or not but it was definitely a single the first time I had it a few months ago.

Also they finally brought over the Sherpa throws! Now I can see that they were indeed worth the hype. PBUC!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

bloodysabbath posted:

I lived in Japan for a few months and it’s amazing how they even do crappy American fast food better than us. The double cheeseburger is the default at McDonalds. There is no single cheeseburger. Also the soda is never flat and the fries are always salted.

Huh? They sell both normal burgers and cheeseburgers at McDonalds Japan.

Anyway, proof of the double cheeseburger:

The taste is just as mediocre and overcooked as the old one, but drat if it isn't filling!

Original_Z fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 7, 2018

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Recently on Japanese TV there was a show where someone goes shopping at Costco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YtjUES5WL4

Even if you can't understand Japanese, the language of excellent products at great products is universal!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

binge crotching posted:

And better food court items. Also some nice seafood options in the deli case.

We do have the bulgogi bake but our hot dog is made of pork instead of beef so I think overall you guys got it better. The pork dogs are ok but kind of mediocre in comparison to any proper beef dog.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Japanese costco now has margherita pizzas.

Gladly ate a slice along with my quarter pound hotdog with refill! Overall not bad, I think I might prefer it to the other pizza staples.

Bonus giant Toblerone!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Azuren posted:

Membership cards should work (US and Canada definitely do). The co-branded credit card (Visa in US, Mastercard in Canada) might. My local warehouse does accept the co-branded Costco Mastercard as payment, at one point it was a local trial but may be nation-wide by this point. Supposedly at some point the Costco Visa was supposed to be accepted in Canadian warehouses, but I'm not sure when/if that was set up.

Yeah, I think it's been globalized now. Costco Japan uses Mastercard too and when I visit the American locations I can use it at checkout. The Japanese card at least is really plain and doesn't have the Costco logo on it so they don't always make the connection at first, but if you tell them to run it then it'll go through. The old cards were kind of cool but then they were updated.

Went from this:

To this:

Original_Z fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 12, 2019

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
After years of hearing this thread hype up the pub mix but not being able to try it, my dreams have come true and the mix has made its way across the pond to the Japanese stores!

Picked one up, along with some cocoa dusted almonds. PBUC!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Jingleheimer posted:

I can confirm that Canadian Costco MasterCards work at US Costcos. Not sure about the Costco Visa cards working in Canada but I would think that they should work there.

Yeah, even if they say that they won't take the Costco Visa/Mastercard out of network you can tell them to try to run it anyway and it'll probably go through.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Today I went out to Costco and was greeted with the worst news of all!

The substitutes were ok but typical stuff you'd get from the deli. I feel like my world has been turned upside down.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Looks like we’re getting the executive membership in Japan!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Huh, the Japanese costco is advertising a new burger in the food court, apparently it's a "new" version of the old cheeseburger, which was downright mediocre. Wonder if it'll be decent now, looks exactly the same as before, but only one way to find out!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Toxic Mental posted:

If you live in Japan like I did for 5 years, hopefully you know that Japanese burgers are rear end because they cut the beef with ground pork to save money

Shameful

The advertisement does make a point to say 100% beef but I think the old burger did too, it just tasted like it had been boiled and tasted like the worst of school lunch hamburgers.

Costco is legit one of the best places to get 100% ground beef that hasn’t been mixed with pork here, though!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
So I tried the "new" Cheeseburger at the Japanese stores. Overall I like it more than the older one, I think the actual meat is the same and still and overcooked, but they seemed to have changed the sauce and put more condiments and cheese on it, so it does a good job of masking the bland meat flavor. I'm glad I tried it but I doubt I'll get it again since it costs around $7 and that goes a long way in the food court!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Costco has finally opened in China! How did the locals take to it?

https://qz.com/1695894/here-are-the-crazy-scenes-from-costcos-opening-day-in-china/

More converts to the church of Costco!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

canyoneer posted:

It's very frowned upon and a fire-able offense for employees to look up membership information just to snoop around.
I know an employee who looked up Britney Spears' ex husband's membership and saw that he scammed a return for a Roomba. He bought a new one, and then came back 20 minutes later and returned it. The return box had a dusty old used (and broken) Roomba in it.

Same employee told me that she saw people return weird stuff, like half a bag of rotten onions because they didn't use them up fast enough.

I remember hearing how when that story about that banned Costco member came out (who was totally blindsided and it was totally unfair), someone on another site looked up her return history and was like "yeah, she absolutely 100% deserved to get banned and probably should have been long ago."

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

To celebrate the new executive membership in Japan they're giving away these classy bags to those who upgrade!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Over at my Costco they have replaced the Pub Mix with Cocktail Mix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Costco Japan is also facing shortages:

I love the wording with this. You guys are panicking morons and there's no problem with supply in this country, but you won't listen anyway so this poo poo is unnecessarily sold out and we have to implement limits. Also, the hell with our sales, you suckers will pay full price for them anyway so we're cancelling them!