Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

milk milk lemonade posted:

How would #2 help at all :confused:

That seems aimed at one Big 10 team in the playoff only, Ohio State needs another loss or to win out + win the conference in that theoretical scenario for OU to have a chance I guess.

disclaimer: I think OU has about an equal chance at getting in as WVU, which is to say approximately none.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

hey poll people, I loved the Iowa win over Michigan too, but please do not vote for us we're still not that good.

edit: also what the poo poo how did WMU not move at all?

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 13, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
on the quiet early morning streets of Ann Arbor, you could still hear the echos of Jim Harbaugh screaming in Iowa City

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

How would #2 help at all :confused:

If Ohio State beats Michigan and Wisconsin/Penn State win out to the championship game then it is likely the Big 10 has 2 teams ahead of OU. Under either of those scenarios listed the Big 10 would have a 2 loss team that didn't win it's division instead of a 1 loss team that didn't win the division. It's no guarantee, but I think the Committee will favor a P5 champion 2 loss team over a non-divisional winner 2 loss team (even if that team has the head to head).

It's a stretch for sure, but its sort of plausible.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Is this the first time Troy has been ranked

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spintzel posted:

Huh, apparently yes. I thought they might have snuck into the bottom of the polls one of those bowl years but I guess not.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school

Duckaerobics posted:

Auburn proved to the world that they were frauds, but at least a bunch of other schools also lost to take some of the attention away.

Injuries hit Auburn really hard and the coaches are idiots for playing a QB who's biggest strength is being a really accurate passer when he has a hurt throwing shoulder. Apparently they don't trust Franklin at all. The freshman QB Woody Barrett just tweeted (and then deleted) something hinting he was going to play in the next game (and burn his redshirt).

With the way things are looking I'd be pretty drat mad if they end up burning this kids redshirt to play a cupcake and then get mowed down by Saban and Co. Seems like a really lousy way to manage your roster.

Either White and Pettway are healthy for the Iron Bowl and we play them both, or they're not and gently caress it we lost anyway so let Franklin run the ball up the middle all game long. It's a "build for next year" situation and having four more years of Barrett seems like a much higher gain than even the best scenario for next two games.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

As of next Saturday, Western Michigan will have hosted more ESPN College Gamedays than Cal, Duke, Illinois, Iowa State, Minnesota, Rutgers, Syracuse, Wake Forest, and Wazzu combined

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mercenarynuker posted:

As of next Saturday, Western Michigan will have hosted more ESPN College Gamedays than Cal, Duke, Illinois, Iowa State, Minnesota, Rutgers, Syracuse, Wake Forest, and Wazzu combined

I would say their program is historically on par with about half of those.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Shappa posted:

With the way things are looking I'd be pretty drat mad if they end up burning this kids redshirt to play a cupcake and then get mowed down by Saban and Co. Seems like a really lousy way to manage your roster.

Either White and Pettway are healthy for the Iron Bowl and we play them both, or they're not and gently caress it we lost anyway so let Franklin run the ball up the middle all game long. It's a "build for next year" situation and having four more years of Barrett seems like a much higher gain than even the best scenario for next two games.

I completely agree. If White is hurt Franklin should be the starter and the gameplan re-designed around him. I also think he should be allowed to throw it some because why not. If they burn Woody's redshirt for two games that don't really matter then I don't know what to think about the coaches.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
16 team playoff would be ideal imo

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Alaois posted:

I only saw the results but holy moly Palandech had himself a day didn't he

Yeah. The defense is still a real big concern because if you throw it deep, you're going to catch it

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

16 team playoff would be ideal imo

I like the idea of an 8-team playoff myself. P5 champs + highest-ranked G5 champ + two at-large spots.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
the problem with an 8 teamer is the length of the season. most dudes gettin hurt by now, wear and tear of potentially 3 more games?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Spintzel posted:

I think a better question is, is this the first time a Sun Belt team has been ranked?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Pakled posted:

I like the idea of an 8-team playoff myself. P5 champs + highest-ranked G5 champ + two at-large spots.

This post has been made a thousand times by a thousand posters by now it seems.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

dphi posted:

Great minds think alike. :colbert:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Is Minnesota good? I see seven wins, but it looks like they've just beaten up on mediocre/poo poo teams.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

dphi posted:

Because it's perfect

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Kentucky rushed for 443 yards and lost, which is kind of impressive. While Xort was good yesterday, it's hard to say it was maximum chaos unless Kentucky could have beaten Tennessee and stayed in SEC East contention (though Florida's win ended that before this game was over). While it sucks, I think the loss to Georgia hurt more, I really think that was the more winnable game. So still no winning SEC record since 1977. Still, a win against winless Austin Peay will secure the first bowl since 2010, so that's the good news. Big Blue Nation travels, so I would think they'd be pretty attractive. I had heard Liberty Bowl reps have been to a few games already and are interested. In a way that might be the ideal destination since the basketball team plays at Ole Miss the night before. Honestly after 5 years without it's hard not to be happy about any bowl.

If y'all come to the Liberty Bowl shoot me a PM and I'll tell you all the cool stuff to do and eat in Memphis. I'll even give you the first one for free: Gus's World Famous, baby, it's the good stuff, the fried chicken we know and love

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

dphi posted:

I dunno, I think the ideal playoff is the bottom-ranked teams in every conference plus North Dakota State

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Is Minnesota good? I see seven wins, but it looks like they've just beaten up on mediocre/poo poo teams.

No

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Wickerman posted:

the problem with an 8 teamer is the length of the season. most dudes gettin hurt by now, wear and tear of potentially 3 more games?

Yeah probably there are a fair number of future draft picks that don't really want to play a 15 game college season so the NCAA can make even ridiculously more money off of them

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

R.D. Mangles posted:

I dunno about Minnesota, but I do know that I pine for the days when Texas could reliably beat up on mediocre/poo poo teams.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

CaptainYesterday posted:

I think a better question is, is this the first time a Sun Belt team has been ranked?

Dug into this one and yes...this is the first time a Sun Belt team has reached the AP top 25, as a member of the Sun Belt. The Sun Belt began sponsoring football in 2001.

This is the second time a Sun Belt team has appeared in a ranking at all - Western Kentucky was 24th in the Coaches' poll one week in 2012.

Two other current Sun Belt teams have been ranked in the AP poll, but way back in the day -

Louisiana-Lafayette - 2 weeks in 1943, as a WW2 training facility. ULL was apparently a trade school at the time.
New Mexico State - 6 weeks in 1960, in a year where they went 11-0, won the Border Conference, and beat Utah State in the Sun Bowl

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 14, 2016

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
I've always been a fan of the future champs

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Yeah probably there are a fair number of future draft picks that don't really want to play a 15 game college season so the NCAA can make even ridiculously more money off of them

This would be the first time anyone in the NCAA cared about that issue. Which, if you want to start caring then fine (they won't). Just don't run that bullshit out as an excuse when you're just protecting bowls and the FCS teams have to deal with it.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

General Dog posted:

Because it's perfect

I agree! But that's kind of the point, (most) everyone agrees - posting it is just kind of beating a dead horse at this point.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Thermos H Christ posted:

I dunno about Minnesota, but I do know that I pine for the days when Texas could reliably beat up on mediocre/poo poo teams.

Texas plays Kansas next, don't they? That might buoy your spirits for a short while.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

vyst posted:

Probably Marquis de Pyro

lol, yeah, you see me criticizing Harbaugh a lot

There are a bunch of Michigan fans who are acting as if Michigan is a garbage team and Harbaugh can't coach now because they lost one game, they're dumb.

It would be like a Florida fan criticizing their coach..well bad example. Pretend I said Clemson or some other school that is actually relevant.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

It would be like a Florida fan criticizing their coach..well bad example. Pretend I said Clemson or some other school that is actually relevant.

Actually, Clemson has twice the number of national titles as Michigan since 1949 so.

And UF has 6x as many.

The more you know.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Michigan fans sure do talk a lot of poo poo for a team that's most notable accomplishment in recent years has been giving Ohio State a win on their way to the title game or playoffs.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

R.D. Mangles posted:

They are consistently mediocre.

They are actually the proof of my thought that the Big XII needs to add some lovely schools. Give some of your mid-level schools some free wins rather than letting the round robin beat up on itself.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

big money big clit posted:

Michigan fans sure do talk a lot of poo poo for a team that's most notable accomplishment in recent years has been giving Ohio State a win on their way to the title game or playoffs.

Don't worry, their coach who has never won an FBS conference will return them to their tradition of losing in major postseason games.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Rice damaged their chances of winning the Worst FBS Team In The Country title by actually winning a game over a FBS team (the dreaded Charlotte 49ers).

And, as I said in the GDT, congratulations to your 2017 national champions Alabama because every other team is bad.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ehud posted:

I am really glad that the Florida Gators beat will Muschamp

that was my CFP game

I though FSU was your rival.

:smith:

That's fine, we'll start hating on Clemson or something.

Please come back, baby.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

whiteyfats posted:

I though FSU was your rival.

:smith:

That's fine, we'll start hating on Clemson or something.

Please come back, baby.

I still hate you. :3:

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Incoherence posted:

Rice damaged their chances of winning the Worst FBS Team In The Country title by actually winning a game over a FBS team (the dreaded Charlotte 49ers).

And, as I said in the GDT, congratulations to your 2017 national champions Alabama because every other team is bad.

Worst FBS team is Rutgers.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

If y'all come to the Liberty Bowl shoot me a PM and I'll tell you all the cool stuff to do and eat in Memphis. I'll even give you the first one for free: Gus's World Famous, baby, it's the good stuff, the fried chicken we know and love

There's a Gus's here in Chicago and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

I still hate you. :3:

Always the game I look forward to most in the season, even when it seemed like you beat us 27 times in a row during the last of the Bowden era.

:unsmith:

• Locked thread