Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
McDonald's has the best fries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Clearly an unpopular opinion, given the volume of business they do.

I figured it would qualify here since people are generally possessive of their favorite fry choice.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

People can never seem to agree on whether unpopular means unpopular to the entire world or unpopular to the dwindling community of a dead gay comedy forum.

It's like the MVP argument. Most valuable player to the team, or the league in general?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
TNG is the best Trek series, and everything since then has been trying to desperately chase the popular success it got to varying levels of failure. DS9 tried by being Not Your Mama's Trek, Voyager tried by being More Of The Same Trek, and Enterprise failed because by that time the mainstream/casual folks that watched TNG moved on to other things.

Hell, let's make this a two-for-one: Trek is at its best when its episodic. Space ship goes to a place, stuff happens, they move on. I dig serialized content as much as the next guy, but Trek for me is explicitly episodic.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Because I don't follow the property or its related community too closely, I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not, but I can't shake the feeling it would be:

I legitimately like the Warhammer 40k setting and story. Not because it's Hard Men Making Hard Decisions, not because it's a way to indirectly say you like fascism. I like it because it's a grand tragedy.

The galaxy is hosed from a variety of angles, and if ~this~ or ~that~ happened differently, it could've resulted in something better. But what's done is done; every side is fighting against the dying of the light as much as they can.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

The 40k setting is great because it's completely impossible to take seriously and everything seems like it was created by a team of ten-year-olds one-upping each other.

I totally get that; it's like I've got two prisms when looking at the whole setting. There's this one that makes everything :black101:, and there's one that makes everything look :smith:.

There's a line stashed away somewhere in a text file about the 40k setting that has always stuck with me, but damned if I can find it. Paraphrased, the line is "In 40k, the only person who can see just how rapidly the universe is burning is the only man who can do nothing but watch and weep."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've always had the sneaking suspicion that Deadpool was such a success somewhat in spite of itself. It wasn't because it was a great game-changing superhero movie, it did well because it was a great comedy and nothing else came out around it. poo poo, I remember seeing it in theaters more times than I otherwise would simply because there was nothing else to see.

A bit late to this one, but Arrival is overrated. I adore the film, don't get me wrong, but man in the end it's a Doctor Who episode gussied up.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Robocop has aged badly. The stuff it satirizes (as well at the act of satirizing it) is cliché, the titular character is slow and dumpy, with Weller's talents only shine through when his mask is off.

For my money? About corporations, money, and the fusion of humanity and machinery, the newer Robocop says more with one scene (that one scene) than a trilogy of earlier Robocops.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
"The truth is in the middle" isn't always wrong. Sure, there are times when it isn't, but still.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Games having lootbox stuff in it isn't a big deal, or a cause to get mad over. If you don't want to use it, don't. If you want to burn money on stuff like that (hell, I'll throw clink at a mobile game I like), whatever.

I feel like 80% of the complaint is based on inane completionism.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Intoluene posted:

To a degree, I agree here but games are starting to have their design based around the loot box, rather than just having them added as a way to get cosmetics and keep the multiplayer populated.

That's the thing, I mentioned the completionist part of it. Show me someone mad about loot crates making it mandatory/required/essential, and I'd put my money down that it's really not mandatory/required/essential, you (general you) just think it is because your vision is predicated on desiring that thing you get out of a loot crate.

Nobody is making you spend the money on that stuff.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Intoluene posted:

This is where it gets kinda fuzzy, because yes, you can get everything via regular paying at a pace between reasonable and glacial but our lizard brain is willing to do more for that thing it really wants but wants it quickly.

I get that, but I feel like if you have a problem with gambling or loot-boxing because your lizard brain is so dominant that you can't control it, do the right thing and own that. Frame your rant for what it is - a personal issue based on your personality - and not the some terrible publisher thing must be fought and crusaded against. If something is too slow, I stop playing it. If I can't reasonably get the Sinestro skin so that Batman is dressed the thematically correct way, I don't get it.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 03:20 on Oct 20, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Isn't the disposal of waste the main problem for nuclear energy?

I think one of the issues is that America has laws against refining the waste into fuel (which would serve to reduce waste and increase efficiency), but everywhere else doesn't. Or something like that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Caufman posted:

The biggest problem nuclear power has is that, so far, it's failed to produce a single super mutant, so who the gently caress wants to bother with it.

Super Mutants were created by exposing rad-free/low to FEV. Ghouls happen due to radioactive exposure, and per-exposure it's still rare.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I kinda like Terminator Genesys, if for no other reason than it embraces the notion that there's been too many movies, resulting in too many timelines, to make any sort of coherent sense. It's incredibly dumb, its horribly miscast on key roles, but man, just shrugging and going "gently caress it, run with the fact that it's not gonna make sense" really worked for me. So someone sent a terminator way back in time to kill Sara when she was a kid, but someone else sent another Terminator to keep her alive? gently caress it, I'm in.

Plus, we got to see the End Of The Future War / John sends Kyle to impregnate protect his mom stuff, which is something I always wanted to see on the screen.

Hell, tangential unpopular opinion: I loving love Terminator 2, but the Terminator franchise should've been one movie. It's a nice clean time-travely loop and has a nice theme of two sides of a war sending entities to the past to ensure their victory in the future, but in doing so create their existence. Plus, I loved the last scene of the film: Sarah understanding that poo poo is inevitably going to get bad, but has hope because she knows it gets better.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 06:11 on Nov 11, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
- Kvetching about capitalism is stupid. I get it, there's problems with it, but you're only reminding me of that episode of TNG where Q's suggestion to fix a problem is some outlandish thing that the Enterprise can't do*.

- Kinda general, but the "I can't understand why {thing} is popular" needs to stop. 999 times out of a thousand, it's completely understandable why {thing} is popular. Maybe you don't like it, whatever, but it's not rocket science why, say, superheroes movies get butts in the seats. You're not winning points for being non-mainstream, you're just missing out.

* I'm aware that the resolution of that episode is "why not kinda do the Impossible Solution", but it's still the same Impossible Solution.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The_Rob posted:

No that's absolute bullshit. Folgers is generally over roasted and pre ground which effects the taste. You won't get a truly decent cup unless you grind it there and brew it properly. Then it depends on taste. A more balanced cup you will probably want a Colombian or Costa Rican because it's going to be more notes of chocolate and nuts. Where as coffees from like Nicaragua or Ethiopia you're going to get a more bright coffee meaning you'll get more acidity and fruit notes. It's not a placebo effect at all. It's very easy to tell an over roasted pre ground coffee from a freshly ground properly roasted coffee.

On the broader subject, I think the thing about food annoyances (steak, coffee, whatever) is that after going through the effort to say this sort of stuff (and with a straight face, no less, since I count at least a handful of times where this website becomes helpful), the audience they are preaching to is still going to like their coffee/steak/whatever the way they've always done it.

It's not really about being annoyed that X is being done to Y, it's about having the :techno: behind the Right Way to do something, but the person you're preaching to gives no respect/appreciation towards that Right Way. Oh sure, they claim they don't care, but being all :words:/:techno: about a food's preparation belies that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My unpopular opinion on tipping is that I wish tipping was just that - a tip - but it's defacto supplement for a person's wages, so you tip properly or don't go out.

e: and no, there is literally nobody in the world that would use the tip-is-just-a-tip system to to actually tip. They'd just say "they are earning their paycheck" and not tip at all.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Nov 25, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

How is tipping such a big controversial issue for Americans

In terms of the amount, it's controversial because you'll always have a generation that grew up realizing that X is the right amount, coming into conflict where time has past and X is now an insult.

As for the mechanic itself, it's because they want to feel like they have power over the poors servers, and want to threaten to withhold it unless the poors servers dance for their every whim.

or, you can just say, folks are generally assholes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

No, it's because the restaurant industry found a way to pay people nothing in exchange for labor and to count on patrons to pay their salary.

Right, and knowing what you said resulted in assholes knowing they hold a server's financial security in their rear end in a top hat-laden hands, and like it. After all, they aren't being the rear end in a top hat for not tipping, it was the poor person's fault.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's still a great movie, but holy christ Close Encounters aged badly when looked at with a modern prism/understanding of mental illness and the damage it does to the family around the person suffering. Roy's experience shatters his family, his kids are definitely going to need help, and doesn't even think about abandoning his family.

E: gently caress, I'll add another: I don't like Scouring Of The Shire style stuff, be it the original example in Lord of the Rings, or any time any movie/game/whatever decides it'll be interesting or compelling to go from some high-stakes stuff to some bad guy whose influence extends about twenty feet from where he's standing.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Nov 29, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Hard to say this is an opinion, per se, but:

If chiropractic poo poo wasn't treated (and priced) as an Alternative Medicine, I'd prolly go once in a blue moon. It's satisfying and relaxing to pop some joints, having someone else do a bunch of them would be worth it every once in a while.

I know it's all bullshit as a treatment for anything, it just seems relaxing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

I'm sure it's great. The people who've been killed or injured by it might disagree.

Well, yeah, that too. Or the "I need to put my thumb up your butt to adjust something" stuff.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I think a crime was committed upon you.

Not sure if I'm in :thejoke: territory, but there was a chiropractor who claimed that part of his "adjustment" series was a "internal coccyx adjustment", which was basically him putting his finger in the patient's butt. Someone sued over it.

Can't find the case, just a bunch of results from chiropractors saying it's a Totally Real Thing You Guys.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've always felt that Invisible War came out a little too early. A year or so later, a little bit more mainstreaming of gaming as a whole, and maybe a bunch of folks kvetching about a more accessible Deus Ex get mocked instead of respected.

I think we were talking about this in the Dragging Down thread; there's parts of the original Deus Ex that did not age very well (JC Denton, police officer, has the shakes holding a pistol unless you beelined to it), and half the rough edges are things the sequel fixed.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Inspired by recent events / changes to their payment system:

I've never liked the idea of just floating a dollar to someone on Patreon. I don't begrudge people who did, and I got that it all added up, but I was never able to shake the sense that I was insulting the person with a pittance.

E: vvv yeah, the aforementioned recent events / changes to their payment system. Long story short, you're now paying the fees or something. Hurts people who had a ton of dollar pledges to a ton of patrons the most, or something.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Dec 8, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I haven't gauged anyone on this opinion's popularity, but I figure it will be unpopular:

Spotify (or other music streaming sources) are stupid as poo poo. Practically every mobile device comes with an SD slot, right? Just put all the music you like on that thing, and voila, every song you like, for free, and you can skip infinitely, and without using any data.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

iPhones don’t have SD cards and they’re the only model of phone of significance.

I hadn't thought of that; every phone I've ever had has had a slot for it. I guess if you're gimped like that, it'd serve a purpose.

I really don't get the finding-new-stuff thing, though, since pretty much any new addition to my musical interest comes incidentally. Realize I like a song from a jukebox or wherever, write its name in my note-taking app on my phone, pull it down and add it to all the places I need it later.

Vaguely unrelated thing and not really an opinion, but I've never sorted my music into folders or anything. Just one big file with everything in it, properly tagged.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 06:51 on Dec 17, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The issue there isn't that they can refuse to buy the games or not, but that everyone else (including the people they disagree with) gets to do the same thing, and their "side" (for lack of a better term) comes up lacking.

They don't really hate lootboxes, pay-to-win, or early-access games. They hate that despite not liking them, most other folks either like (or give no shits) about those things.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Dec 21, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not a really strong opinion (I'll explain why), but I can't shake the belief that a decent amount of people coming out as nonbinary/genderqueer/genderfluid/whatever are going to backtrack somehow, down the line.

On one hand, such an opinion reeks of "oh you're not X, X is just a phase", which is gross, and I'm pretty sure I feel this way because I'm just not able to wrap my head around that stuff. On the other hand, most hippies eventually became the suit-and-tie folks they were rebelling against, just as every generation eventually becomes The Man said generation railed against.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Blue Star posted:

George Carlin sucks too

I still remember the day when I randomly caught some of his stuff from the 70s and realized how hatefully superficial his modern-at-the-time stuff was.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Owning toys/action figures after you're, say, 18 is dumb.

Like, if I could've bought a credit-card-looking thing that gave me the same result as the Bowser amiibo I bought, I would've done that instead.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I never had an issue with the so-called ludonarrative dissonance some folks had about Grand Theft Auto 4, complaining about how one minute Niko would be killing/blowing up poo poo by the thousands and then bemoaning it in a cutscene.

First off, the game makes it clear (hell, Niko flat-out talks about it a few times) that Niko is a fundamentally broken person whose history has turned violence into not only his go-to solution to everything, but a fundamental instinct. The worst part about it is that he knows it, but knowing the reasons behind this sort of trauma doesn't alleviate it. It's kinda the tragedy of the character/story; your fun escapades are precisely the thing the character wishes he could distance himself from, but never could even if you weren't controlling him. On a more meta level (and I know this is going to make me sound like an Old playing GTA and not even speeding), you really don't have to go on 5-star murder sprees between every goddamned mission.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

The missions make you kill loads of people.

And your defense would land if Niko wasn't such a dour asspot in and out of cutscenes.

Um, yeah, I covered that in the "Niko knows he's a violent psychopath for whom violence has become an instinct and hates himself for it" part.

...that you quoted

:confused:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
More like two conflicting opinions, whose conflict and indecisiveness makes it more unpopular:

- I absolutely believe that when it comes to dogs, it's the breeding more than the breed

- I give literally no shits about breed bans taking your Fluffy away from you, because you willingly and intentionally adopted a dog whose breed already has a stigma*, and by-complete-coincidence-I'm-sure just happens to do a lot more damage when it taps into its never-completely-gone inner wolf

* which is 70% of the reason why you chose that dog in the first place, even if you'll lie and say I'm wrong

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Related to the discussion about it, I remember specifically saying before the new Ghostbusters came out that the issue would never really be about women playing the roles (although dig deep enough into a critic of that movie, do not accept bullshit, and it will be close to the core of it), but that Ghostbusters as a franchise is inherently not wanted or interested in by any significant-enough-to-count numbers. Ghostbusters was a lightning-in-the-bottle thing that every later addition to it has been somewhere between disliked and ignored.

Add to the fact that the one really-liked movie in the franchise is a Dad-Bordering-On-Grandpa Movie by now, some sort of failure was inherent and inevitable. Ghostbusters isn't a draw.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Different types of movies lend themselves to, for lack of a better term, watching schemas:

- Indie / Oscar bait films lend themselves to seeing it by yourself in an empty theater, since those movies are more about passing time anyway, and their lack of interest from regular folks means if you get lucky, it'll just be you. It's an excuse to indulge in all your lovely theater behaviors (nobody can bitch about you reading a text if you're the only one there) without bothering anyone.

- Seeing a movie by yourself is good for most movies on an initial watch, where you don't want too much distraction from crowds. This is reinforced if you tend to be a "see new stuff Thursday nights" movie guy.

- Seeing movies with friends and crowds is great for the above normal movies on a second watch, to get the added fun of noticing how those friends and others react to things you know what's coming. You can afford to be distracted by that stuff because it's a re-watch for you.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I know people who so that poo poo, but I don't subscribe to doing that. Crowd re-watches are to see how others responded to the movie, not get people to respond to you.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not an opinion, I suppose, but I get low-to-actually uncomfortable with people saying things about their own ethnicity that they can only 'get away' with because they are that ethnicity. The two examples of it that come to mind are jewish folks doing the stereotypical yiddish accent as a gag, or black folks using the N word a lot.

I'm not entirely sure why (near as I can figure it's just a hyperawareness of being a white guy who absolutely under no circumstances is never allowed to say or do those things a strongly ingrained sense that saying them is Very Bad), but man, it just makes me want to crawl into a negative-space hole.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 03:39 on Jan 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

But do national brands like Budweiser and Taco Bell really need the recognition? They're national brands; everyone knows what Skittles are.

Fun fact, they do. I can't remember who it was (it was in the marketing fails thread somewhere), but there was some company that had a lion's share of their market, and decided to drop most of their marketing under the assumption you made: everyone knows about us, we don't need to do ads anymore.

The result? They drastically lost their market position, because the lack of marketing on their end (and what little marketing their competitors could do) was enough to drastically alter the landscape.