Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
My PHUO is that you should write phonetics when discussing pronunciation. "I pronounce it bio-pick" tells us exactly 0 about how you pronounce it, especially since the difference in pronunciation in this case is in the "bio", spelling pic differently is completely useless.

Edit: good snipe, 5/5

Phosphine has a new favorite as of 07:57 on Feb 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Paying for a subscription to a car (I'm not talking about Uber and Lyft) seems really dumb to me. I own a car that I can access at any time. For free. Why would I want to timeshare one?

This depends on the cost of the subscription and car insurance/other costs, but here, we have a car subscription where monthly fee + everything we pay for our usage currently comes out to less than what it would cost to own a car, park it for free, and never use it. That is, BEFORE purchase cost, fuel, and maintenance.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Shibawanko posted:

Windows desktop icons should be sorted left to right not top to bottom

Windows desktop icons shouldn't be at all. Ever since they introduced pressing the win key and then just typing to find stuff in your start menu, there's absolutely no reason to put things on your desktop. Have a nice picture there, and start things by typing the first 3 letters or so. Faster, cleaner, no sorting required.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Saagonsa posted:

Screenlooking/screenpeaking was always 100% acceptable and everyone did it

Perfect Dark let you black out your screen by crouching twice, so you could camp in a corner somewhere without the others seeing where you were if they missed when you ran there. Best game.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I don't think I've ever seen spiritual mean anything other than "religious, but smug about it"?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Ego-bot posted:

It's possible to dislike Brie Larsen without being an MRA gamer or rightwing shithead.

I'm sure it's possible but they sure are highly correlated.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Someone should do something about west coast time. It's nonsense. Too late and too early for everyone, everywhere, except the west coast.

Yes. Abolish timezones, and to avoid people being confused over "13:00 is suddenly in the morning?", Also switch to the Swatch .beat

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

hawowanlawow posted:

doesn't Montreal have tunnels around the city because you would literally die from walking around outside in the winter?

A quick internet tells me their winter is commonly around -15, with -20 happening every now and then, so if it has tunnels that's not why.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Cycling is absolutely unsafe! One wrong move and you’re looking at a broken limb or head injury at speeds you won’t find walking or running! What part of “going ten miles an hour on something that’s only stable because of some quirks of angular momentum” isn’t inherently unsafe? I’ve been to over a hundred bicycle accidents on the ambulance- maybe five had cars involved. There were tons of things like “stung by bee, lost balance, absolutely ate it”. The worst injuries I saw by far, outside of one person that got hit by a dunk speeder, were people who weren’t wearing helmets. One literally had their brain herniating from the increased intracranial pressure, from losing their balance biking. The increased speed means that if something does go wrong it’s going to go wrong worse.

Either entropist got a namechange or "Dutch person who is extremely smug/stupid about bicycling" is more common than I think, but in either case: ignore this fucker. Also assuming by "helmets" they mean "helmet laws", there is perhaps some truth to it making people choose not to bike, but helmets existing probably does not. In any case, I bike every day, with good infrastructure, and have never had a bike accident. I still wear a helmet, and I definitely consider biking unsafe. I've ridden in the Netherlands, even! It's great! Their infrastructure is even better than ours. I still wore a helmet, as did plenty of other bicyclists I saw.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
The temps here range from 30 in summer (though this is considered rare and extreme, at least historically) down to about -11 as the worst to expect, but -20-25 happens. A lot of people bike as their main commute, but of you live "in the city" nothing is more than like 7km away, and our "suburbs" takes you up to 15-20. I am considered somewhat insane for always biking all winter (especially when I lived 16km out), but a lot of people with shorter distances still do it quite often. Basically, I think both the lack of infrastructure, and the sheer size of some American cities, being built for cars to begin with, make it unrealistic more than the weather, which you can dress for and adapt to to a greater extent than most obligate car drivers believe.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
The US credit score is so confusing to me. Credit rating in Sweden works like this: the company asking for a credit report pays a company for it. It contains:
Last three years taxable income I think
Other income they found
Current loan/debt balance
"Have they ever failed to pay hard enough that we know about it y/n"
And then a summary where it basically says "credit worthiness: good" unless the information above was bad.
Never had a loan? Doesn't say, doesn't affect it. Had loans that you paid off? Doesn't say, doesn't affect it.
You, the person asked about, get a copy of the report mailed to you, and it says who asked for it.
No score or rating based on hidden numbers, no way to game it, no getting penalized for not having needed loans before. And it's not used for everything at all times, haven't had one run on me by landlords or such.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
My not very unpopular opinion is that all of the above, true or not, and even just the fact that it could possibly be true, is bullshit, and I sincerely hope you can improve your society somewhat.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
The ketchup in my fridge has sugar as the neverth ingredient, as none was added. Total 5%, from the tomatoes. Maybe get ketchup instead of sugared tomatoes?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Manager Hoyden posted:

Nope, Heinz "no sugar added" has sucralose in it. It's a weasel term, kind of like how store-bought orange juice is sweetened out the rear end.

Just import Felix brand ketchup from Sweden, their unsweetened ketchup is unsweetened, not "no added sugar".

Or just move to Sweden in general: it is illegal to sell sweetened "juice" here. If you call it juice, it gotta be all fruit.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd just like to point out I wasn't bragging about fighting or anything. I just think people that deserve rear end kickings should catch them once in their life. I used a flippant example, so deserve the ridicule for it.

Honestly I think we all can agree that people who deserve rear end kickings should get them. Part of the problem here is that your examples of "people who deserve rear end kickings" seem to include innocent school children randomly selected by the resident psychopath, and people at bars being loud/rude near an insane drunk person.

Had your examples been Nazis and people who post like Solice Kirsk, the rest of us would gladly join in on the bottlesmacking.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

kupachek posted:

You know you can always end unwanted social contact by stating you have important things you need to take care of, and that's pretty much all that's needed, right?
You don't have to suffer from unwanted visits, nor does it have to be rude to get out of them.

Have you like...met people? Saying you have important stuff to take care of when bumping into someone on the street might work, but the kind of person who would show up to someone's home unannounced is 100% not going to just leave if you say or imply their presence is inconvenient, because if they were brained that way they would not have showed up in the first place.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I haven't broken my jaw, but I had a severe overbite so I had to pull some teeth and have very tight braces, and when they were first put in and every time I went in to tighten them, I had to subsist on liquid food for about a week every time. After that I don't think I could ever try soylent or huel or whatever, I yearned for chewing and texture after about two days.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Can we just put shib and jerry in a thunderdome-thread where they performatively misunderstand eachother back and forth for eternity, that we can read when we want to, and leave the other threads undisturbed? I think that'd be good.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
If you have a normally functioning body, eating less than you use will first result in increased hunger and tiredness, as the body tries to get you to stop. If you keep it up, it will start burning your savings, ie fat. If you start running low on fat to burn, it will use even less energy and also start cannibalizing muscle mass.

If you, after this, go back to eating what you use, rather than less, you will stay tired, and it will store as much as possible, giving you your weight back. It is not until it has stored as much as it "thinks" it should that your hunger and energy levels stabilize.

So basically, some bodies just want to store fat, and will fight you all the way.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Taking the time to make a decent amount of lunch boxes two or three times a week definitely saves both time and money compared to ever buying takeout/eating out for lunch, but it requires you to have that time in lump sum. This also relies on shopping not being hours away and terrible, so not applicable to a lot of the states I guess.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Josef bugman posted:

It also relies on you feeling able to. I've lost track of the amount of time I am coming home at 8 and not feeling capable of doing anything but posting.

I got used to having so much time over lock down and now I just feel stressed out and tired.

Oh yeah absolutely, mental health and other considerations definitely makes it even harder. When I barely had enough energy to just go to work every day I also did not have the energy to cook, meaning I had to buy lunch at work, which took more time and money, making me feel worse and giving me less time to do stuff that would give me energy, so I just got stuck doing something that was worse and took more time for no reason, but that I couldn't magically decide my way out of.

The solution in my case was to have people I care about yell at me, but that is not generally applicable.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I mean it depends on where you draw the line for rich, but there is a line where if you're above it, you are choosing, every day, to prioritize numbers in account or fancy car number four over a fellow citizen dying in the street. "The rich" that we should eat, the 1%, are so far above this line that "lusting for the death of poors" is a fair characterization.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I think to some extent, the strongest argument against us customary/for metric is that if you don't prefer metric, you're on the same side of the debate as Manager Hoyden, and if that doesn't convince you you're wrong, nothing will.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

nurmie posted:

all systems of measurements suck inherently and by definition; reality is unknowable and all important things are immesaurable

anyway, phuo: dutch cheeses are the best kinds of cheese by far; french cheese is overrated and so is french cuisine in general, their reputation no more than a product of an insidious century-long advertisement campaign

I don't think anyone who knows or cares about cheese (at least, hard cheese, not mold cheese) disagrees about the Dutch. Gouda is in my top five both cheeses and places.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Do...do people nor say "the bees knees"? I thought that was common. This is very disconcerting.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Are American unions like, company-specific? My union is the "all the workers in tech or tech-adjacent that aren't managers"-union, so our equivalent here would probably be the "shipping workers Union" or so, encompassing warehousing, delivery, etc. Is that not possible in the US?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Gaius Marius posted:

Customers are never that bad to deal with, and seeing people hyperbolically vent about their struggles of having to answer basic questions or show someone where something is is mostly just sad

Tell me you've never had a customer without telling me you've never had a customer.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

alexandriao posted:

I find it curious that out of everything in that post, that's what you focused on?

I didn't say we should hang the guy I just feel that it should be proportional. What Will Smith did was enough

Right, it should be proportional, which is why your post makes no loving sense.

Espouse violent ideology -> receive violence.

Make lovely joke that does not dehumanize a race or group of people in a way that is at all comparable to any of the poo poo you said -> receive no violence.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Gripweed posted:

It's wrong that Britain also has a theater called The Apollo. So you'll see a youtube video called Live At The Apollo and it turns out to be the whitest man you've ever seen making jokes about food items you've never heard of

One of these theatres is older and was named The Apollo first. I'll let you figure out on your own which and why I'm writing this.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

This has been covered before, but since it's summer: I've never understood the appeal of watermelon; it doesn't have much taste.

You have covid, or live somewhere that doesn't get good watermelons. The ones we have around here have lots of taste in season, but can get pretty watery off-season, when we're importing lesser goods i guess.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I do not like gin. I do like a gin and tonic. This second fact does not change the first one.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Gaius Marius posted:

Viewing a piece of art is an inherent endorsement of anything and everything the creators have done, are doing, or will do. Haven't you heard?

By reading and engaging with this post, I am signalling that I agree 100% with everything this poster has ever and will ever say or do.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Josef bugman posted:

What? Saying "things can mean different things to different people" is no more narcissistic than say that Breast is a place in France as well as anatomy.

Saying that isn't narcissistic, but it's entirely wrong and not backed up by reality? You have wisely picked an example for "lol the same word can mean different things" that doesn't even work, because the city in France isn't named breast.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I dislike the ones like mafia, werewolf and among us where there's barely game mechanics between the rounds of accusation. It's just "someone died, now fanfic about whodunnit". Secret Hitler, Camelot or the battlestar Galactica board game all have each player make gameplay decisions in full view of all the other players, which means you have to be discrete in your sabotage when you're evil. Also the "vote for someone to die" phase isn't obligatory so you don't do it until you have actual suspicions.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

They might be mad, but they're not wrong.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

There's never been a "good" version of Windows; it's always been a lousy OS. Some have just been slightly less lousy.

This is an extremely popular opinion among everyone I have ever met who uses a computer professionally.

Edit: for clarity, I think they're correct.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I went to Prague with school in 9th grade, and we visited Theresienstadt. It was loving grim and even as a stupid teenager I was moved enough to not remotely consider a weird photoshoot.

I do not understand how people can do that, and how they do not get punched by the onlookers.

Edit: Admittedly I did not have a smartphone back then (or any camera, for that matter), but, nevertheless.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

alexandriao posted:

Depends on how rich they are, but the welsh indie movement is thriving right now. The leader of the Senedd, Mark Drakeford, is extremely popular and is a staunch advocate of a Welsh Republic.

On related news, he's currently seeking to devolve (i.e. take control of something that is otherwise managed by parliament) both the national rail system and the gender recognition system, and we also have a basic income trial going and Drakeford explicitly made sure that refugees were included in it. He promised fully nationalized power and rail by 2030 and he's set to deliver on that promise.

Wales is also likely to be an easier battle on the Gender Front than Scotland has -- Scotland is essentially a giant loving hotbed of TERFs, whereas not only do we have vocal support from Drakeford, but in addition, the most recent demonstration in front of the Senedd saw the TERFs having to bus 300 people (including glinner) in from England just to have barely enough people for a protest rather than a middle-aged doting tourist group. The biggest trans group in South Wales so far is a mutual aid group and they are thriving.

What's the relationship between Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland like? My dream scenario is they all vote for independence, then form a new union with blackjack and hookers (and without England) and that union rejoins the EU.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

oldpainless posted:

There’s a reason that “feel” and “hill” are almost spelled and pronounced the same

More like auldpeenliss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Gripweed posted:

Every man should have a food that they enjoy cooking, which they insist on calling (name of man)'s Famous (name of food).

It can be a perishable item that they always bring to social gatherings, like Tim's Famous Chili or Brandon's Famous Brisket, or it can be something shelf-stable which they always give as presents, such as Lawrence's Famous Homemade Salt Water Taffy or Jay's Famous Mango Jelly.

This should be an established feature of the man's personality.

Agreed. Mine is a mushroom risotto. Not that good to bring but commonly served/requested when we have guests for dinner.