Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

hard counter posted:

I don't care if metal is the anime of music, it'll always be in my top 3 favorite genres of music - doesn't matter if I'm 9 or 99 :allears:

Anime in the sense that like good anime, it's great. There is lots of bad anime too, but you can choose to only listen to the good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Blind Guardian is a great. Sabaton is boring. You get the idea.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Only major dumbos refer to bread by the colour instead of saying, rye bread, oat bread, etc.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Tiggum posted:

So how do you differentiate between white and brown/wholemeal bread that are both made of wheat?

Wheat bread and wholemeal wheat bread?

I mean I guess the US has a specific type of bread that's called "white", fine. But isn't that just wheat bread?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

A somewhat related opinion: moving to another country solely because of an election result is shameful, and people who do this should have their citizenship revoked permanently. If you want to enjoy the benefits of US citizenship you should stay and try to change it when you don't get your way instead of throwing a tantrum and letting everyone else without the means to move elsewhere sort it out.

This exact argument is used by Finnish nationalists against refugees from Syria or Iraq. "If they were good people why didn't they stay and fight for their country?"

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's pretty clear from the post that I'm making no comment about the situation of any of these countries, but rather about the arguments used against refugees and/or immigrants.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

so it is a very bad post

no u

The citizens of a country are under no obligation to stay and improve it if they want to go elsewhere instead.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Pick posted:

That said, shave your loving pube-y beard, it's loving disgusting.

Grow out your beard instead, also shave your head.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

quote:

Gyro Zeppeli posted:
This is a slippery slope to eugenics, when you start having a government intervene in "You can have a child and you can't."

The government already intervenes through child protective services and custody procedures. Being proactive about that would not be the same as eugenics.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Timothy Dalton was the best Bond.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Alt right is the right except they are honest about being nazis.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I've been contaminated by Finnpol where it's nazis all the way down. Anyways, the point stands. The alt right says openly what the so called moderate right thinks.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

In my view it's completely acceptable to be right for ostensibly "wrong" reasons.

My own anecdote relates to this year's referendum. I voted to stay in the EU because I thought it would be the better choice for British businesses in general and the financial sector (to which my job is connected) in particular.

But, no, apparently the only valid reason to vote to stay in (if you believe the people I encountered) was because Nigel Farage was a racist.

Well, whatever. You had my vote even if you didn't want it.

Racism is bad for business so you were almost there.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

I loving loved Fury Road, but when Nux gets that :smug: who killed the world :smug: putdown aimed at him it struck me as weird and hurt itself a bit. Nux wasn't even born before the apocalypse happened and is just as much a victim of Immortan Joe as anyone else. Shifting blame onto Nux was a really weird moment that seemed at odds with its message.

They aren't blaming Nux for the apocalypse, they are blaming him for following Immortan Joe's death cult and trying to get him to stop doing that.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I agree with this, but the ones "bullying" you shouldn't be your peers. There should be a formal system with rules and regulations where the teachers are allowed to mold you into a functional person. The way it works now you have bullies beating on weak people with no supervision and no recourse if they go too far without subjecting yourself to more intense bullying. Let teachers have absolute authority and I think we'd be a lot better off. Coddling helps nobody.

Teachers used to be allowed to, and did, beat the students with wooden rods. Is that the kind of authority you are talking about?

Bullying produces people who are timid and depressed, and people who have a chip on their shoulder and are looking for an excuse to gently caress someone up. Neither is good.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

Midwestern liberals are boring and very very white

Equating white with boring is wrong and fuel for the "alt righ" nazis. Death metal is "white" and it isn't boring.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

What about clubs discriminating against ugly and short people?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Blue Star posted:

Feminism should 100% concentrate on the betterment and empowerment of female human beings. Feminists and feminist movements shouldn't have to lift a finger for males, whether they're cisgender males or transgender. Biological sex matters. Reproductive rights matter. The fact that female humans are an oppressed class under patriarchy matters. That's ALL that loving matters. Males, regardless of what they identify as, should not interfere or seek to include themselves. They are irrelevant to feminism and should recognize themselves to be such.

Also, cis women should simply be called "women".

Cis women oppressing transwomen is morally worse than cis men oppressing cis women.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

All fiction is regressive because it distances us from real world struggle against the oppressors.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

If Jews are not a race what does that mean for all the atheist ones?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yes, much better to be ethnicist.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Stargate definitely is more appealing to the average "parent" because it has the army, armed with machine guns, fighting evil aliens with glowing eyes. That said it had some high points and the army thing actually works narratively.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not actually calling it bad. I've seen a total of maybe 2 episodes of it. It's not the type of thing I would ever devote time to penetrating, but it may very well be good if you are. I'm just saying it's junky looking and unnapealing on an aestetic level.

Babylon 5 has a grand story planned out 5 seasons in advance about politics, ethics, philosophy, time travel, etc. produced cheaply, at times acted poorly, and undercut with constant uncertainty about whether they would get renewed for another season. It's a great show if you can look past the problems, but it's gonna be pretty impossible to get into now unless you are the turboest of nerds.

*it's easily the best show of all the ones mentioned in the last few pages

doverhog has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Dec 16, 2016

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Eh, almost all old shows and movies have bad production. You can either look past it or you can''t. The thing that hits them harder is what Pick mentioned, it's all old news at this point.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

But but what about rich white men who have never held a human conversation writing about what they think Real Science will do for them in the future?

(The answer usually involves them having twelve year old girlfriends, but you guys it's really good I swear if you just ignore that bit)

Have you actually read scifi? Philip K. Dick, Iain M. Banks, Hannu Rajaniemi, that kind of stuff?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Eating rear end is not sexy.

Now the thread has really hit a new bottom...

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Shirts with collars do look nice, for a nice nerd to wear at a math club.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Indeed. Normative clothing is a signal to the man that you've grown old and are ready to surrender to his will.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Old promotional t-shirt with the sleeves cut off. :eyepop:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

focus on substance over style in your politics, and elsewhere.

But I like posting on dead comedy forums! :greenangel:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Did you you know V for Vendetta the movie is based on a 1988 graphic novel by Alan Moore? You should check the original out.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's based on a serial by Alan Moore in Warrior in the early 1980s actually :smugmrgw:

Yes, I'm sure the studio buying the option or the guys making the movie read Warrior in 1980. In any case, the comic is different, mainly in that V is not in any way a hero. He's a tragic consequence of fascism and government terrorism, a monster they created, but still unequivocally a monster.

The plot is fairly close, but like Watchmen the tone and the message of the piece is more or less completely lost.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ok Jerry. Name a writer that is good if Alan Moore is bad.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

So did you actually read Tolstoy, or pick his name from a list of classics to have someone you know is safe to call "good"?

Jerry, that's a fine opinion to have, but you didn't answer the question.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Any writer outside of superhero comics is good?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Jerry fears to call a writer good, because his only strength is in saying things are bad and a joke.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

steinrokkan, you are categorically saying that the medium of comics is trashy in and of itself? I'm not saying that Alan Moore is the greatest writer, I'm saying that he is good. This is not an unpopular opinion among, for example, professional critics.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

If he won't I will. Maybe I would use a different word, but trashy is good enough. Many comics are popular and successful, but only among children/teens (physical or mental). I am sure you are about to point to the ~adult~ comics and "graphic novels", but inserting the word "gently caress" every two words doesn't make it anything any self respecting adult should spend time reading.

Read Sandman, From Hell and Promethea and report back to the thread to be graded.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

From Hell, for example, is over 500 pages, in black and white, and about the police investigation (and freemasons and other stuff) of the Jack the Ripper murders in late 1800s London. The target audience is not teenagers, and there are no superheroes in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I've read Maus and some issues of Sandman, and really my reaction was "Why are they ruining this story by chaining it to these pointless visuals?"

Comics and visual novels take written fiction and visual arts and clip both of their wings to produce truly mediocre results.

Yes, well if you feel that combining text and pictures is inherently bad, there's not really much to say to that, other than I don't agree. :11tea: