Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

So Hard Mode just moves a fight you'd be having 17 chapters later to here huh?

They gently caress off after a few turns on every difficulty, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It's worth noting with the Levin Sword that in NES Shadow Dragon there was no magic stat, so it was basically just a decent spell. Also there's a map where it's not terrible because no one told IS taking a map with Not-Bow Armor Knights and making their not-bows ballistas while keeping the tank part would not be the greatest idea in the world. so you want as many sources of magic damage as you can get.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

Thankfully, Fates gives the player an option in the form of the Kodachi and Wakizashi weapons so the issue was alleviated a little bit. Which would be fine, except both those weapons come with setbacks like not being able to double opponents. But then the game also created the Kukuri line, enemy exclusive ranged swords that do not have the drawbacks (outside of the basic penalties that steel and silver weapons carry) of the aforementioned Kodachi and Wakizashi...so yeah, swords still get screwed over in the ranged option department.

To be fair, the enemy throwing swords are pretty much a Conquest-only thing, where your only ranged options are a single Kodachi. And it's not like spears and axes don't have those either while you're stuck with your -5 AS Hand Axes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Minerva wins solely theough the power of being the OG axe lady.

Pretty sure that's Titania, dracoknights just had sword/spears in the old games.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

Well, it's his personal growth, adding it to his class (Hero, in this case) gives it an additional 20% boost to make a 50% in total.

That's just me clarifying so I don't confuse people, Shadow Dragon's growths very much are a heap of garbage, yes.

Eh, I'd rather have a game like this where growths for the player and enemy are low than Conquest, where your own units are super swole but enemies are pretty jacked compared to other games.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

And let's not forget the capstone to all this nonsense: there's a hidden promotion item right by the gate you have to seize to end the map, and only Sophia (the aforementioned level 1 Shaman) can find it. And finding buried items in deserts is based around the unit's Luck stat. Sophia comes with 3 Luck, for the record.

Chapter 14 in Binding Blade is cordially invited to go gently caress itself. With a cactus.

The hidden promotion item is treated like an event, so as long as you step on the right tiles you always get it. That said it's a Guiding Ring, and Binding Blade is pretty infamous for being stingy as poo poo about those so it's still a gently caress you.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It was Binding Blade ever since Brawl and Awakening, everyone just went with Sword of Seals for same reason people used Blazing Sword and not Blazing Blade.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
To be fair, Lord Hippoman is spreading experience a bit thinner than most for variety's sake, I think at this point you'd basically just be leveling up the Whitewings and Linde as your only new recruits free like Hardin, because I'm seriously having trouble remembering good units at this point besides them and Minerva. Enemy stats are pretty low overall until like Hard 3, so just promoting at level 20 isn't a huge deal.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, but like I said before, enemies have even lower growths than the player. Like, those dracoknights and horsemen are laughable compared to most unprompted guys at this point. This isn't New Mystery Hard where enemies were close enough to caps that they couldn't be doubled by max speed dracoknights.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, 30 is the cap for special units in general, but given the lack of promotion gains most of them still kinda get shafted. Not as hard as knights in vanilla FE1 where generals were a thing but they couldn't promote because ??? though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

koolkevz666 posted:

Skipping ahead in this Lp well way back but it's almost time for sleep anyway got a question for the thread. It seems every LP of a fire emblem game has great, okay and bad characters in them. I was wondering how feasible would a LP be where only the very worst characters are used all the time for each map and how fun would it be to play or watch?

Sorry if this breaks up anything being talked about right now just wanted to ask before I forgot.

0% growth rate runs (just what it sounds like, a hack where units never gain a stat aside from their promotion gains) have been done of most FE games up until Shadow Dragon on the highest difficulties, I believe, so anything's possible. Most Fire Emblems don't have garbage fires for prepremotes, so it'd just be an interesting change of pace seeing normally unremarkable units most people would bench.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Was somebody crazy enough to do this in Thracia 776? :aaa:

I'm not terribly familiar with 776, but even without Ced who just clowns everything forever, you still have Asvel, his knockoff Excalibur and his busted Sage promotion gains, along with dudes with the FE5 version of Wrath that always crits (and those crits potentially do way more damage than 6-14's) as long as the enemy initiates combat. So yeah, seems feasible, compared to New Mystery Hard where the prepremotes are as garbage as Shadow Dragon

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
She comes at around the same level as Nolan with way worse bases.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

How do you guys play Standard FE(6-12)?

I choose units to use and never ever give anyone else a drop of EXP. Example: Miciah solo's the first few chapters, everyone else meat shields without weapons as appropriate cuz tissue. I also keep levels about even at all times. So I've never experienced what youre talking about.

Usually I use units as needed. So in, say, FE6, Rutger is never leaving the party because the ability to always hit and always double is actually really helpful, and I'll use Lot for a while until Gonzales shows up for all the soldiers and lance cavs, because they'll be about even in their bases and I know Gonzales is gonna be better. I usually don't bother raising up units that are lower leveled versions of preexisting ones, like Ogier because Deke is a monster.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I've seen a handful of people complaining that Kris has a tendency to shoehorn their way into like every scene from the original and steal Marth's thunder, but no complaints that the OP self-insert was dragging the game down.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Falcoknights didn't exist in the original Fire Emblem, the Elysian Whip was added so players could have the promotion they're more used to for Caeda and/or the Whitewings. Dracoknights have lower base Resistance and Magic, which is traditional for the class chain. Not sure why they didn't make at least a couple whips available in the main game, though.

Because Shadow Dragon is kind of a bizarre chain of dubious design choices.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Small mistake; Horsemen did exist but they were just a separate thing from Hunters. Because FE1.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I sure wish that particular dubious choice was SD's only, but sadly it became a regular part of the series afterwards.

Thankfully, it's the only bad choice this game made that actually stuck, unless I'm forgetting something big here.

Huh? There are a few Elysian Whips in New Mystery, and pegs have had the option to promote to Falcon Knights ever since. Unless you're talking about DLC classes, which isn't the absolute worst thing ever.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

Whereas I forgot the Longbow was even in Awakening, so that sorta says a lot about how much I knew about good builds and skills in that game. I got about as far as "Galeforce is good" and then it was mostly lost on me.

To be fair without reclassing or getting literally the second-to-last kid your only option for archer/sniper is Virion, who kinda suffers from the usual FE archer problem of just plain not being a very good unit.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Maybe they wanted to remind people of one of that games few good maps because no one in their right mind would play through Sword of Seals more than once.

*looks at shadow dragon, Awakening, blazing blade enm* yeah, what kind of nut would want to do that when there are so many games with quality map design?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think you mentioned how the chapter has enemies you never see in the main story (because NES SD didn't have fancy frills like swordmasters and warriors) but another neat touch is that it's the only place you'll ever see heroes utilizing their axe weapon ranks, at least on H1 and below.

• Locked thread