Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

Anti-gun emphasis in the Democratic Party means they don't attract the same quantity of nutjobs that the Republican/Libertarian party does (see: any open carry advocate, Oath Keepers, white militia groups in general). Last time anybody saw leftist groups with firearms they got firebombed from helicopters.

now is an excellent time to reverse that. ultimately the only way to get better an lynchmobs is to be in a lynchmob, and by doing even one youll have more real experience than the nutjobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Karl Barks posted:

so lemme get this straight, charlotte promised to repeal their ordinance blocking HB2 if the state repealed HB2 afterwards. instead, the GOP isn't repealing HB2 and is instituting a moratorium on allowing charlotte from reversing their own repeal?

Yep.

If anyone is wondering how the Democrats can consistent snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, this is a pretty good example. The Democratic Party is full of idiots who can't help but shoot themselves in the face as often as possible.

Again, I'm glad the GOP made the Democrats look like the colossal idiots they are. The only downside is that the Dems aren't going to learn from this in any meaningful way. Because they are idiots.

Agean90 posted:

im not joking about the mob, light the building on fire with them locked in it i guarantee their replacements won't try this poo poo

And then in record time, Trump and the GOP to pass new laws that make the PATRIOT Act look like the Civil Rights Act. We'd then get a 5-4, or worse, ruling by the SCOTUS that yes POTUS Trump is allowed to round up anyone he thinks hates America and if it happens to be anyone to the left of Reagan well poo poo I guess that's just how it has to be.

The NC GOP is going to loving destroy the Democrats in next year's election too. Hell they'll probably find some way to slip in a rule that the winning party gets to pick a new governor and get the Democrats to agree to it while also agreeing to poll taxes and voter tests.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

The only reason they listened to Martin Luther King back in the day is they knew the alternative would be Malcolm X.

Moral Monday movement is great and should be directly tied in with the state Dem party instead of these pathetic losers currently running the party.

But in addition to the nice peaceful Moral Mondays, we should also have Trotsky Tuesdays, with big scary black men waving guns around. Put a nice healthy dose of fear in their hearts. These rich old white fuckers will keep being sons of bitches so long as they think they're invincible.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bodyholes posted:

But in addition to the nice peaceful Moral Mondays, we should also have Trotsky Tuesdays, with big scary black men waving guns around.

the last time that happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oxh5-hq6mc

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Every time you think NC can't surprise you, some poo poo like this happens.

The best part is going to be a bunch of Republicans getting reelected again next year because no one in this state ever learns and our districts being gerrymandered to hell and back.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Sheep posted:

Every time you think NC can't surprise you, some poo poo like this happens.

The best part is going to be a bunch of Republicans getting reelected again next year because no one in this state ever learns and our districts being gerrymandered to hell and back.
lol the court said we had to redraw em they didnt say we couldnt gerrymander em an do it differnt this time

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
district one: charlotte/triad/triangle
rest of the districts: blood red far as the eye can see

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Turns out the biggest mistake from burning that GOP office was waiting for it to be unoccupied.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article122593759.html

"North Carolina is no longer classified as a democracy"

Lol

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

quote:

In the just released EIP report, North Carolina’s overall electoral integrity score of 58/100 for the 2016 election places us alongside authoritarian states and pseudo-democracies like Cuba, Indonesia and Sierra Leone. If it were a nation state, North Carolina would rank right in the middle of the global league table – a deeply flawed, partly free democracy that is only slightly ahead of the failed democracies that constitute much of the developing world.

Indeed, North Carolina does so poorly on the measures of legal framework and voter registration, that on those indicators we rank alongside Iran and Venezuela. When it comes to the integrity of the voting district boundaries no country has ever received as low a score as the 7/100 North Carolina received.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
does this mean that Homework Explainer has to start defending the NCGOP?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

nice

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
TBH if Trump's presidency goes the way it looks like it's going based on his appointments and poo poo, I think you'll see more leftist, black radical, etc violence than has existed in America in a very long time/ever; think about how mad, scared, and crazy milquetoast centrist libs are acting and then imagine how this must feel to the kind of people who've actually considered violence against the state before

It'd kinda be nice to be wrong, bc I don't think any of them are large or organized enough to do anything but provoke a disproportionate law enforcement response that indiscriminately targets 10x as many people as were actually involved

PleasingFungus posted:

does this mean that Homework Explainer has to start defending the NCGOP?

:golfclap:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

wizard on a water slide posted:

TBH if Trump's presidency goes the way it looks like it's going based on his appointments and poo poo, I think you'll see more leftist, black radical, etc violence than has existed in America in a very long time/ever; think about how mad, scared, and crazy milquetoast centrist libs are acting and then imagine how this must feel to the kind of people who've actually considered violence against the state before

It'd kinda be nice to be wrong, bc I don't think any of them are large or organized enough to do anything but provoke a disproportionate law enforcement response that indiscriminately targets 10x as many people as were actually involved

It's definitely already happening. Nothing in the news yet, but people are getting angry.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
This just in from the NCGOP: "something something activist judges hurrrr"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
go get 'em, roy

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article123763694.html#storylink=latest_side

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

:frogin:

roy 4 prez lol no wed just get mcchees back in raleigh gently caress‼️

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

wizard on a water slide posted:

:golfclap:

There will definitely be at least a new Rainbow Coalition and hopefully this time it'll be like BLM where there aren't a couple of figureheads so the FBI can't just assassinate it out of existence.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article123887379.html

quote:

Attorneys for state leaders on Friday asked the U.S. Supreme Court to block elections ordered for 2017 after a federal court found 28 state Senate and House districts were illegal racial gerrymanders.

The 39-page filing asks Chief Justice John Roberts for emergency intervention to put a halt to the three-judge panel’s order for redrawn districts by March and a special election in 2017. The petition asks for the chief justice to enter an order by Jan. 11, when the General Assembly is set to convene its next session.

:qq: we don't have enough time to draw a new set of blatantly unconstitutional districts which will be thrown out after the election anyway :qq:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article123887379.html

:qq: we don't have enough time to draw a new set of blatantly unconstitutional districts which will be thrown out after the election anyway :qq:

This will hinge entirely upon Kennedy because if the SCOTUS agrees to hear it they'll be doing so with Trump's Scalia replacement. I can't imagine John "my life's goal is to destroy the VRA and CRA" Roberts isn't going to intervene. I'm worried that if/when this and Wisconsin's gerrymandering cases reach the SCOTUS we'll see Kennedy go from his previous stance of "I could rule against it if given sufficient evidence and means to review the impact" to "nah political views aren't protected, Gerrymandering is totally ok if you say it's for politics and not race."

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Evil Fluffy posted:

This will hinge entirely upon Kennedy because if the SCOTUS agrees to hear it they'll be doing so with Trump's Scalia replacement. I can't imagine John "my life's goal is to destroy the VRA and CRA" Roberts isn't going to intervene. I'm worried that if/when this and Wisconsin's gerrymandering cases reach the SCOTUS we'll see Kennedy go from his previous stance of "I could rule against it if given sufficient evidence and means to review the impact" to "nah political views aren't protected, Gerrymandering is totally ok if you say it's for politics and not race."

What about when gerrymandering is totally about race?

In Texas they got away with "Well we lumped all of the registered Democrats together, they just happened to be not white, except when we divided them up so they would be outnumbered by registered Republicans" but in NC they went "Well the experts told us black people vote Democrat so we lumped all of the black people together"

I know Scalia would have said "gently caress the Democrats" but Kennedy might care.

CannonFodder has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Dec 31, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bullshit, they don't care. They're moneyed interests and no one, not even judges, are impartial. We should live by a truly impartial law, that of Mother Nature, and destroy all of technology and humanity in a fiery blaze.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

If Trump keeps poking China, that could happen.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Bullshit, they don't care. They're moneyed interests and no one, not even judges, are impartial. We should live by a truly impartial law, that of Mother Nature, and destroy all of technology and humanity in a fiery blaze.

patience, grasshopper

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yep.

If anyone is wondering how the Democrats can consistent snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, this is a pretty good example. The Democratic Party is full of idiots who can't help but shoot themselves in the face as often as possible.

Again, I'm glad the GOP made the Democrats look like the colossal idiots they are. The only downside is that the Dems aren't going to learn from this in any meaningful way. Because they are idiots.

And then in record time, Trump and the GOP to pass new laws that make the PATRIOT Act look like the Civil Rights Act. We'd then get a 5-4, or worse, ruling by the SCOTUS that yes POTUS Trump is allowed to round up anyone he thinks hates America and if it happens to be anyone to the left of Reagan well poo poo I guess that's just how it has to be.

The NC GOP is going to loving destroy the Democrats in next year's election too. Hell they'll probably find some way to slip in a rule that the winning party gets to pick a new governor and get the Democrats to agree to it while also agreeing to poll taxes and voter tests.

Oh so are we, I must tell you that if anyone enjoys making a fool out of liberals, it's us.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, it's nice to know that there are folks on the inside who are applauding our efforts, and victories.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/LoganJames/status/816740333044322307

that is impressively petty

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
for contrast:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article124491039.html

quote:

Gov. Roy Cooper plans to take immediate executive action aimed at expanding Medicaid, defying a state law and setting up a confrontation with the Republican-dominated state legislature.

Addressing a group of business leaders at an economic forum on Wednesday morning, the Democratic governor who was sworn into office on New Year’s Day said he would file an amendment to the state Medicaid plan by Friday – which would allow hundreds of thousands more people to sign up for government health insurance.

quote:

Cooper said he was acting now because time is of the essence “before the turmoil begins” with regard to the Affordable Care Act. He indicated he has already been in discussions with federal officials.

“We have found very receptive people in Washington who are working with us and who are ready to do this,” Cooper said.

Cooper added that “Medicaid is one of the programs most likely to be preserved” going forward. And even if it is altered, expanding Medicaid coverage now would put North Carolina “in a much better position to make sure it gets its fair share.”

Cooper, who was greeted with a standing ovation when he was introduced, also said his first budget proposal would make education spending a priority. In addition, he said he would continue to work to repeal the law known as House Bill 2. That law bans people in government facilities from using restrooms and locker rooms that do not match the gender on their birth certificates.

it's not gonna happen but hey good on him for telling the ga to gently caress off as his first order of business

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Woot

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
U my boi Coop

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Roy Cooper wants ARE DAUGHTERS to share their bathroom with GROWN MEN.

Like and Share if your praying for NC!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress 'em up roy, pt.2:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article124742669.html

quote:

RALEIGH
A three-judge panel ruled on Thursday to uphold Gov. Roy Cooper’s request to block a revamp of the state elections board while his lawsuit makes its way through the courts.

In the first hearing before the panel of judges assigned to the case this week, Greensboro attorney Jim Phillips argued for Cooper that a law adopted by the General Assembly in one of its special sessions last month violates the constitutional separation of powers.

It was a similar argument to one made last week by Phillips on the eve of the date the law would have disbanded the five-member state Board of Elections and passed its duties to the state Ethics Commission.

The merger was set to happen on Jan. 1, but Wake County Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens temporarily blocked the law from taking effect. His restraining order expires Monday. The three-judge panel – assigned to the case because of the constitutional questions the new law raises – heard from the lawyers for nearly three hours before retreating behind closed doors. The panel contacted attorneys in the case several hours later, letting them know that they had granted Cooper’s request.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/under-the-dome/article124794669.html

quote:

Gov. Roy Cooper said Thursday that he’ll likely challenge more elements of the legislature’s power shift next week.

Cooper has voiced strong opposition to several bills that limit his authority and were approved by the legislature last month and signed by outgoing Republican Gov. Pat McCrory. He has already sued over a law that reduces his power over the state’s elections board, and a court hearing in that case was held Thursday.

“There will be court proceedings,” Cooper said during a news conference Thursday. “There was one today, there will be more in the future.”

Cooper declined to say which provisions of the new laws he’ll challenge in a lawsuit, but said he expects the filing will “probably be next week sometime.”

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol the NCGOP only had to do minor quibbling and troll him into defeat in four years, and they went and made an underdog out of Cooper.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I can't even begin to imagine what the country would be like if Democrats on a national level gave 1/10th the gently caress that Cooper seems to give in NC. Hopefully he never stops and manages to push some Dem gains in next year's election provided the SCOTUS doesn't interfere and rule in the NCGOP's favor.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Nonsense posted:

lol the NCGOP only had to do minor quibbling and troll him into defeat in four years, and they went and made an underdog out of Cooper.

The GOP is doing this because they don't think they can beat him in 4 years.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Story made it to AP.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/817139426790883331

and I just thought of something. We've long said the democrats' presidential saviour will likely come from the South. Cooper's got fight, gumption, and he's from the Andy Griffith state.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Concerned Citizen posted:

The GOP is doing this because they don't think they can beat him in 4 years.

nah it's much more personal and petty than that

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Isn't that funny how NC went from "we should keep trans people out of bathrooms" and "we should pay for NC's debt on the backs of the homeless and unemployed" to "hey let's bring teacher pay in line with the national average" and "let's expand medicare and save the state millions of dollars".

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/BeauMinnick/status/817467401860157442

You can do this NC!

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church

Bodyholes posted:

Isn't that funny how NC went from "we should keep trans people out of bathrooms" and "we should pay for NC's debt on the backs of the homeless and unemployed" to "hey let's bring teacher pay in line with the national average" and "let's expand medicare and save the state millions of dollars".

Does it matter though? Cooper could completely reverse NC's fortunes and once the state is running a huge suplus, the GOP will sweep all the branches again because voters have a memory of a goldfish. MN Democrats basically got the state running in the green with tax hikes and improvements to public life and this year, they lost control of both the house and the senate. Cooper could make NC the best running state in the south, only to have everything dismantled within an election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

yayyyy :unsmith:

• Locked thread