Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mons Hubris posted:

I don't think they've actually said this. Moore said it's too early to comment.

yeah there was an updated quote in the nuisance & disturber today

moore had said last week that it would be "an absolute last resort"

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article114980628.html

Mental-Rectangle posted:

We're just slowly and painfully waiting for Raleigh and Charlotte to get enough people to outweigh the tremendous amount of white trash in this state.

that's a fool's errand tbqh

don't forget both wake and mecklenburg narrowly went for mccrory in 2012; all it takes is a bad candidate or lovely circumstances (which we've had twice now in two successive cycles) to upturn any conventional wisdom

the real problem is completely abandoning rural areas. losing smaller counties 60-30 that you normally lose 55-45 starts to add up quick

and you can't hope to get back the legislature without competing statewide, not just running up the score in urban precincts

The Muppets On PCP has issued a correction as of 01:05 on Nov 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Is there nothing we can do if they really try the method the OP stated?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Dank memes will save us. right?

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
They are trash and into the trashbin they must go so please please go gop go into the trashbin, GET hosed

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
good point from hasen: fed courts can get involved where nc courts can't
https://twitter.com/rickhasen/status/800919311539806208

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Mental-Rectangle posted:

We're just slowly and painfully waiting for Raleigh and Charlotte to get enough people to outweigh the tremendous amount of white trash in this state.

so what youre saying is Demographics Is Destiny?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Hadn't see this posted: http://www.ncpolicywatch.com/2016/11/21/election-protesters-ncgop-attorneys-supplied-complaint-information-governors-race/

quote:

Election protesters: NCGOP attorneys supplied complaint information in governor’s race

Attorneys identified as representing the North Carolina Republican Party supplied information about potential voter fraud to residents and then asked them to sign protests before filing the paperwork with local election boards, according to election protesters.

Protesters in Craven, Cumberland, Forsyth and Hoke counties said they would not have filed election protests had the attorneys, who identified themselves as being associated with the NC GOP, not contacted them with the names of voters accused of fraud.

“I probably wouldn’t have been able to obtain the information they had access to,” said Ronald Hartman, who filed an election protest in Hoke County accusing one man with a felony of voting illegally.

Hatman, who is chairman of the Hoke County GOP, said he did not verify if the man accused in the protest did in fact have a felony conviction before signing the document to be turned in by the attorney who contacted him in the first place. He added, however, that the election board verified it and pulled the vote.

“For me, I don’t care which side they’re on, I’m for a level playing field,” Hartman said. “I have no idea how this guy voted.”

The NC GOP and Gov. Pat McCrory’s Campaign did not return emails seeking comment.

McCrory’s campaign asked the State Board of Elections to assume jurisdiction over the 53 local election boards where protests had been filed, which they voted against. That move would have stripped those boards of control over their own proceedings, including investigations and hearings. Six counties, including Halifax, Durham and Cumberland, have already dismissed their protests, although appeals could still be filed.

Linda Petrou filed three protests in Forsyth County, one accusing two people with felony convictions of voting illegally; one alleging there were two deceased voters; and one alleging an error in vote count or tabulation.

Petrou is vice-chair of the county GOP and leads the literacy committee of the National Federation of Republican Women, but she also has a personal stake when it comes to voter fraud. She said her mother-in-law was recorded as having voted a year after her death in the early 90s and it took years to get her off the voter registry.

“I just have a really, really big problem with election fraud,” she said.

She was asked by attorneys she said she knew personally to file protests, and she agreed, assuming they were associated with McCrory’s Campaign. She said she looked into a couple names she was provided on the protest, but not all.

“It appeared they weren’t eligible to vote, and it turns out I was wrong,” Petrou said.

She added that the attorneys who asked her to file the protests did not discuss with her any potential for litigation stemming from wrongfully accusing voters of fraud, but she assumed there was some liability going into it. She said the purpose of filing a protest was for a board to look into the allegation, and she wasn’t worried about the outcome.

“They have access to much more accurate information than I do,” she said of the election board.

Gerry Cohen, former special counsel to the state legislature and an expert on state election law, said there should have been more research involved before protests were filed.

“You can’t run around accusing people of felonies without adequate research,” he said. “That’s dangerous business.”

Irrespective of whether those people could sue for libel or defamation, the incorrect accusation of voter fraud could follow them later in life. Cohen pointed out that the protests are filed electronically, and if one of the people accused of a felony applied for a job in a year, employers could find the information out there.

Anita Earls, Executive Director of the Southern Coalition for Social Justice, said making allegations against voters is intimidating and could stick with residents next time they go to vote.

“I think it’s a pretty serious allegation to make against someone,” she said.

In the case of individuals with felony convictions, she said it’s difficult enough when her organization tries to get them to re-register to vote after their probation or parole ends, this will make it more challenging.

“People are afraid,” Earls said. “Even though we are lawyers, they don’t believe us that they can register to vote. … This kind of action of falsely accusing just adds to that fear.”

There were 39 individuals accused in the 53 protests of illegally voting because of a felony conviction. At a meeting Sunday though, the State Board of Elections indicated there could be as many as 339 after an IT director informed them Friday he had created a database to take in information from the Department of Correction and then ran it against voters’ names for provisional research.

Jerry Reinoehl filed two protests in Cumberland County, one against a person accused of having a felony, and testified at a hearing Monday morning of the local election board, which ultimately dismissed everything.

He was disappointed that the attorneys who asked him to protest did not show up to the hearing.

“I was left there to basically defend my actions because I signed (the protests),” he said via phone after the hearing. “If they want us to support the effort, one would think they would follow through with the process. … I probably didn’t do a good job today, but again, it was me against the world.”

Reinoehl, a retired Army Major who ran for Fayetteville City Council in 2013 but lost, said he is a McCrory supporter and donated to his campaign. He said he typically researches things like voter fraud but likely would not have filed protests with the information he received.

Carl Mischka, chairman of the Craven County GOP, said he was contacted by an attorney with the NC GOP and asked by email to file two protests; one accusing a woman with a felony conviction of voting illegally and another alleging there were two deceased voters.

He said the woman’s ballot was thrown out but the two voters who were deceased were accepted because they died after mailing their ballots in. He added that he wouldn’t have protested were he not asked, “because there’s too much else going on in this world.”

“I think we’ve got a real sticky wicket,” he said of the election, adding that a voter identification law would be his solution. “We’ve got a real mess.”

There's some cool charts/graphs at the link: http://www.ncpolicywatch.com/2016/11/21/election-protesters-ncgop-attorneys-supplied-complaint-information-governors-race/

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm having a difficult time parsing that article...

The NC GOP called up county branches and told people "file a protest against person X" and then left them hanging out to dry when the election board followed up with their protest?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Dank memes will save us. right?

Medieval sketch pitch: Burr and Tillis look awkwardly away from the main scene on shore, Margiotta and Tedesco are thigh-deep and sinking in the Styx. Jesse Helms' face is barely visible in the river's surface. Pat is alive but defeated, represented by a man-face Gadsden snake made of gerrymandered districts, tail firmly in between his lips.

Dallas Woodhouse looks aghast, and cries out "For shame, Governor McCroroboros, thou art popeing in thy own mouth!" and maybe Cooper's holding a crown or maybe isn't even in the sketch. It's a bit overfull already.

sweart gliwere has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Nov 22, 2016

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
^^^^^
Need to see that one :eyepop:

Phone posted:

I'm having a difficult time parsing that article...

The NC GOP called up county branches and told people "file a protest against person X" and then left them hanging out to dry when the election board followed up with their protest?

Yeah, me too, that's why I posted, was hoping to get some smart folks looking at it. It seems to be saying that the NC GOP Lawyers essentially coerced local election boards into signing protest but then didn't actually help them with any information supporting the protest.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
All of the protests are "Voting While Democrat" or "Voting While Black" and it doesn't pass scrutiny?

Welp, better put Pat in. Maybe his big ol' brain can figure this one out.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Welp:

Gov. Pat McCrory has formally requested a statewide recount in his gubernatorial race against Attorney General Roy Cooper.
Read more at http://www.wral.com/news/page/12706857/?break_id=16157#u4pv2XZDyghxrkKt.99

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
pat mcwhiny

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Watch as another secret night session turns the recount method to "inspired Discernment"

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

quote:

There were 39 individuals accused in the 53 protests of illegally voting because of a felony conviction. At a meeting Sunday though, the State Board of Elections indicated there could be as many as 339 after an IT director informed them Friday he had created a database to take in information from the Department of Correction and then ran it against voters’ names for provisional research.

URGENT: 300 or so people voted while having the same names as registered felons (in an election decided by thousands of votes)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Fullhouse posted:

URGENT: 300 or so people voted while having the same names as registered felons (in an election decided by thousands of votes)

Please refer to this tweet for further instructions:
https://twitter.com/Team_McCrory/status/800750751383429120

Please respect the electoral process, sir.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Adding this site to the OP, holy poo poo good site:

http://www.ncpolicywatch.com/

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

At least the recount isn't unexpected. That was going to happen no matter what, as long as it was within 10,000 votes.

The more I think about this situation, the more I'm of two minds on it. On one hand, the legislature has a supermajority so it's not like they have to worry about a lot of stuff getting vetoed, they don't really seem to like McCrory anyway, and it would use up a ton of political capital. On the other hand, I'm fundamentally beginning to question whether political capital is a relevant concept anymore for the legislature, since they went through the HB2 stuff and lost no net seats.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Welp:

Gov. Pat McCrory has formally requested a statewide recount in his gubernatorial race against Attorney General Roy Cooper.
Read more at http://www.wral.com/news/page/12706857/?break_id=16157#u4pv2XZDyghxrkKt.99

Recount isn't so crazy in a race this close. We'll see what additional shenanigans they can pile on top of the process.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Does anyone know if their partially singed field warehouse got rebuild with that 15 grand they got?

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Roy Cooper's lead is now 8,500.

:siren: All of which are illegals and dead people no doubt. :siren:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vox Nihili posted:

Recount isn't so crazy in a race this close. We'll see what additional shenanigans they can pile on top of the process.

you mean like civitas filing a federal lawsuit to delay everything so they can throw out same day registrations?

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/under-the-dome/article116393383.html

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Muppets On PCP posted:

you mean like civitas filing a federal lawsuit to delay everything so they can throw out same day registrations?

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/under-the-dome/article116393383.html

yeah

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Mental-Rectangle posted:

If traitors werent allowed to vote, mccrory would be winning carrying 100% of the electorate

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mental-Rectangle posted:

It's really hosed up that Roy Cooper killed 8500 people.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Mental-Rectangle posted:

the names of all of those illegal votes?

benjamin ghazi

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Lol someone rented a U haul and parked it in front of the governor's mansion.

https://twitter.com/stephenpeters2/status/801193615074750464

MaxxBot has issued a correction as of 01:12 on Nov 23, 2016

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

MaxxBot posted:

Lol someone rented a U haul and parked it in front of the government's mansion.

https://twitter.com/stephenpeters2/status/801193615074750464

:kiss:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

At least you got a potential angry mob ready to go!

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Karl Sharks posted:

the names of all of those illegal votes?

benjamin ghazi

and now you know.. the rest of the story.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mental-Rectangle posted:

Should also mention, NC's GOP has been ruthless at every turn since 2008.

-NC is the most gerrymandered state in the country. In 2012 democrats won a majority of votes for the Congressional delegation, but took only 4 of the 13 seats.
-NC's general assembly is the same way. Republicans enjoy permanent supermajorities in both houses which are impossible to get rid of, even in a national democratic tide.
-NC is the only state I'm aware of where the General Assembly draws districts for itself AND the governor cannot veto them.
-The GOP previously tried to prevent the state Supreme Court election from happening through unconstitutional means. They're well aware that control of the court would give democrats a chance of breaking out of their electoral prison. When Edmund's term was nearing its end, they tried to set up a retention election, which would've been "voters can choose to keep Edmunds on another term, or get rid of him, in which case McCrory would appoint a successor". This was blocked at the federal level. Should give you some idea of the lengths they're willing to go.
-When democrats won big in Raleigh and Greensboro in 2012 (there were no Republicans left in elected office in Wake County after all the teabaggers on the schoolboard were voted out), the General Assembly intervened and drew new gerrymandered districts for those municipal elections.

NC's not getting rid of the GOP's stranglehold. They could rise up and violently depose and execute the entirety of the NC GOP and all that'd happen is President Trump would wipe out half the state and then the RNC would install new GOP politicians.

The state's a good example of what the nation's about to experience. There is zero reason to believe the NC GOP isn't going to do the worst case scenario poo poo here since they will have a unified GOP-held federal government to support them and Trump's SCOTUS pick will all but ensure the current lawsuits against NC all end at least 5-4 in their favor. Simply put: The Democrats in this country are idiots and the GOP have won on a level a lot of people still haven't come to realize.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i swear to god we're gonna wind up having voter id every other election

In 2020, possibly 2018, you should fully expect voter ID requirements to be a nationwide thing. The GOP can and will pass a law for Trump to sign once they can and there's no way in hell it isn't going to be upheld by the SCOTUS.

Draynar posted:

Is there nothing we can do if they really try the method the OP stated?

Correct. There are no legal outlets that aren't ultimately controlled by the GOP and any attempt to remove them by violence is going to see martial law at best.

Mons Hubris posted:

At least the recount isn't unexpected. That was going to happen no matter what, as long as it was within 10,000 votes.

The more I think about this situation, the more I'm of two minds on it. On one hand, the legislature has a supermajority so it's not like they have to worry about a lot of stuff getting vetoed, they don't really seem to like McCrory anyway, and it would use up a ton of political capital. On the other hand, I'm fundamentally beginning to question whether political capital is a relevant concept anymore for the legislature, since they went through the HB2 stuff and lost no net seats.

Political capital is meaningless when you have total and absolute control to begin with. The NC GOP cannot be voted out of power short of an election wave that turns literally the entire country blue.

Evil Fluffy has issued a correction as of 01:50 on Nov 23, 2016

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

NC's not getting rid of the GOP's stranglehold. They could rise up and violently depose and execute the entirety of the NC GOP and all that'd happen is President Trump would wipe out half the state and then the RNC would install new GOP politicians.

The state's a good example of what the nation's about to experience. There is zero reason to believe the NC GOP isn't going to do the worst case scenario poo poo here since they will have a unified GOP-held federal government to support them and Trump's SCOTUS pick will all but ensure the current lawsuits against NC all end at least 5-4 in their favor. Simply put: The Democrats in this country are idiots and the GOP have won on a level a lot of people still haven't come to realize.

I pretty much agree with this.

NC over the past four years is a sandbox for what the entire country will be like for the next four. People are not grasping the amount of power they have just handed the Republicans. This isn't merely a 'bad year' that democrats can bounce back from. They are a minor party now. This is a one party country now. This is Russia now. We now have a party in control that can win elections at all levels of government without a majority, and it will continue to gain legal tools to increase its power over time. What the people who voted 3rd party or stayed home have done is basically locked us down a path of permanent one party rule under a very lovely party until a great depression hits and a big enough blue wave happens for us to change stuff. Some people talk about this idea "oh there will be a crash and then we'll win" plan very lightly. You have to live through a depression. That means having to stay alive for three years while you wait for the next election, and then things still won't get fixed for another 8 years. It's not pretty.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mental-Rectangle posted:

NC over the past four years is a sandbox for what the entire country will be like for the next four. People are not grasping the amount of power they have just handed the Republicans. This isn't merely a 'bad year' that democrats can bounce back from. They are a minor party now. This is a one party country now. This is Russia now. We now have a party in control that can win elections at all levels of government without a majority, and it will continue to gain legal tools to increase its power over time. What the people who voted 3rd party or stayed home have done is basically locked us down a path of permanent one party rule under a very lovely party until a great depression hits and a big enough blue wave happens for us to change stuff. Some people talk about this idea "oh there will be a crash and then we'll win" plan very lightly. You have to live through a depression. That means having to stay alive for three years while you wait for the next election, and then things still won't get fixed for another 8 years. It's not pretty.

lol

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Permission to repost the op on FB with credit?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mental-Rectangle posted:

OK are we at peak panic yet or does this rabbit hole go even deeper?

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

OK are we at peak panic yet or does this rabbit hole go even deeper?

Set low expectations and you can't be disappointed!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/801481229627490304

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Mental-Rectangle posted:

Thanks Hillary!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Just a quick update here:

http://www.wcnc.com/news/politics/elections/9700-votes-separate-ag-cooper-and-gov-mccrory/357349456

quote:

The State Board of Elections Monday night ordered counties to proceed to canvass and dismiss the election protests filed by Governor Pat McCrory's campaign.

All of McCrory's protests are now out.

Tomorrow, the state board will decide whether or not they will do a recount of Durham County. If they weren't willing to give any of his protests any air, it's likely that's not happening either.

State GOP still pushing the lie that dead people and felons voted:

quote:

After tonight's State Board of Elections decision, it is clear that most aspects of the 2016 election are ready to be concluded. We thank election officials across the state for their dedication to our system, and for their best efforts to ensure an accurate count of the votes. During the past month, we have seen the incredible strength of our voting system in North Carolina, as well as some serious shortcomings that must be addressed. These deficiencies encompass out-of-precinct voting, involves vote tallies of known felons and dead people, as well as allowing same-day registrants to vote without address verification. It is clear that we need serious bipartisan solutions to address these issues, which will still linger long after the current results are certified.

But the SBOE coming down hard against McCrory appears to be on purpose; by not giving him any leeway, I think they're hoping to keep him from being able to petition the GA to call the election 'contested'. At this point, if McCheese were to say the election was contested, the only evidence they would have would be "We felt like it was." Cooper would take that to SCOTUS and basically have to win, or else elections would cease to have any meaning whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
nc gop is now saying they won't use legislature to conclude the election, and the race is outside of a realistic recount margin. so it's all but wrapped up here

• Locked thread