Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Icon:

Name: Uz-Uz
Portfolio: Entwining

Action: What Mouth represented was abhorrent to Uz-Uz. It consumed the beauty and perfection that Uz-Uz had spent it's existence cultivating. But, Tha's choice to align Mouth to anti-flame the exact opposite of flame gave Uz-Uz a clever plan. Uz-Uz entwined the fate of flame and anti-flame, so that when flame and anti-flame touch they destroy each other utterly. Matter would be left untouched by this reaction, it would only affect flame and anti-flame.

Uz-Uz makes flame and antiflame utterly destroy each other upon contact, so that anything of flame that Mouth touches will destroy itself and Mouth 1d4: 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Xe-War born:

Icon: *later*
Name: Shard
Portfolio: Realms
Action: Shard organizes the Multiverse into layers (Realms), so it’s easier to understand by living things, especially those of the 2nd generation. As a child of Pattern, he just likes things organized, you know? At the bottom he places the Material Realm and at the top the Spiritual Realm. Separating them in the middle is the Realm of Forces (some mortals may incorrectly call this the Magical Realm). These are of course not physically above and below each other. All realms are present everywhere in the Multiverse. Shard also creates the first law of the realms:
- Anything (living or not) that exists in one realm, also exists in all higher realms in some form. A presence in the Material Realm is called a Body, in the Middle Realm it’s called an Aura, and in the Spiritual Realm it’s called a Soul.

Making Realms: 1d2=2 (!)

Some examples: Most living things and all objects (stars, planets, comets etc.) exist in all three realms. Siran don't have a body, so they primarily exist in the Realm of Forces, and also have a Soul. The souls of the dead and the Archons themselves only exist in the Spiritual Realm).

Btw, I call life created by the Archons the 1st generation (Embers, Dark Embers, Maki, Siran, etc.) and call life created by the 1st generation the 2nd generation (planetary life created by the Maki).

Dog Kisser posted:

Wel-Oa tries and fails to create a bank of Archonic power. It perishes in the attempt.
Spring-Siran?

Dog Kisser posted:

Yoth-Ket-Sen, Third Aspect of the First Child of The Whole, lets itself fall into Sacrifice so that the record of all things can be penned forevermore. Its roll (a d4, despite an error I made last update) is lost forever and does not generate another Archon.
Memory-Siran? (Or it's different because he sacrificed himself?)

Dog Kisser posted:

Also, this game is meant to be a short one, so I'll be drawing it to a close soon - I'm aiming for 2-3 more updates and some sort of big finish, so if you have any particular plans you want to do, get started! Thanks for playing along with my experiment so far!
Thanks for the game, I'm enjoying it a lot! I had plans, but I keep dying, :smith:.
Do you plan to use the end result as a setting for something later? Maybe a CYOA? Not the whole Multiverse, but one of the infinite number of planets where the Maki created life and some of it become sapient?

Aabcehmu posted:

Icon:
Name: Os-Ten-Ma-Hath
Portfolio: Keeping, Spirals
You've also inherited one of Heat or Darkness. Based on the below I'd assume Darkness.

Aabcehmu posted:

Action: Raid the multiverse for Sirans, and feed them to the Mouth. 8
Rude :argh: also the plural is also Siran

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Icon:

Name: Et

Portfolio: Heat Approaching Energy

Action: Et, having now recovered the portfolio of its fallen predecessor, feels true power at his theoretical fingertips. He sees the darkness his fellows seek to create, and the great threat of the Mouth. Most importantly, he felt true rage at the creation of a creature who would destroy his most prized creation, the Sunpaths. But, Et had grown fond of letting his creations do their own work, and so he thought, and thought, and came up with an idea. Upon the greatest and most noble of the sentient creatures, across all races, species and dimensions, he bestowed microscopic fragments of pure Archonic power, so small as to be irrelevant to the grand game that the Archons play, but an immense boon to a mere mortal being. He called these beings Envoys and placed upon them a Duty, like he had placed upon others before: To defend their own from the great Mouth that hungers somewhere in the multiverse. To prepare and grow strong for the coming fight, for the Mouth is a true foe indeed.

Roll: 1d10+1=9

Et: Still delegating, still rolling high. If at all possible, I'd like to sacrifice a dice level to make this action EXTRA potent, and it would make sense in-story as even though he's giving tiny fragments of himself to the Envoys, there are literally an infinite amount of them due to multiverses and all that.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

ShadowGlass posted:

Thanks for the game, I'm enjoying it a lot! I had plans, but I keep dying, :smith:.
Do you plan to use the end result as a setting for something later? Maybe a CYOA? Not the whole Multiverse, but one of the infinite number of planets where the Maki created life and some of it become sapient?

You've also inherited one of Heat or Darkness. Based on the below I'd assume Darkness.

Rude :argh: also the plural is also Siran

I thought that the two Johj-born had scooped up the portfolios. I suppose I have picked up Darkness, though. Sure has been an interesting arc. I'll edit in the portfolio and the grammar mistake

Also, I would be so down for a CYOA as an Envoy in some future epoch, arisen to defend their universe from Mouth.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

ShadowGlass posted:

Xe-War born:

Icon: *later*
Looks like the Xe-War-born slot's already taken:

Krunge posted:

Icon:

Name: Err (Xe-War-born-born-born-born-born-born-bor)

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

UnCO3 posted:

Looks like the Xe-War-born slot's already taken:

Dang. My eyes kind of glazed over that post. I guess it was an Err-OR on my part :v:
I'll just keep it for next turn. Looks like Kay will be branching.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

The Creation of Mouth disturbed the Archons greatly, but they dared not act against Os-Ten-Ma-Hath directly for fear of its great power of the Dark Keeping of Spirals. Even Et, equal or greater in stature and age to its compatriot, did not act to chastise the other Archon, for that was not its way. Instead, it allowed itself to fragment - only slightly - and infused particulate granules of its essence into the very best of the mortals of the cosmos. At once, Et’s perspective broadened and narrowed crazily, granting it direct insight into the minds of those lucky few its power inhabited. Each of them awakened to it and to eachother, and to their Duty: somewhere, in one of the many fragments of creation, there lay a dark beast named Mouth - one way or another, their Duty was to defeat it. Or, at least, hold it back so that others might. One by one, the Envoys accepted their great burden, and over the generations would prepare their people for its coming. Et hoped they would be ready.

Os-Ten-Ma-Hath revelled in the mindless destruction of Mouth, the Star That Was No Star, The Cold Hungry Void Who Coveted Beauty Above All. The hungry thing had devoured much of what once composed its home universe, and had begun to strain against its bindings. And yet, it knew not of anywhere else to go - its chaotic soul, the deep pulsing anti-colour of its karma, was bound to this place alone, and even the Darkened Embers who attended it were unable to grant it passage. The Maki, even should one have recalled the existence of the Sunpaths, were all extinguished by its passage, and the Embers had long fled this dead land. Mouth began to consume itself and the space it occupied, spelling its own end... until Os-Ten-Ma-Hath threw in a Spring-Siran, a strange and squirming spirit with a new taste. Then another, from elsewhere, with another flavour. More and more and more! All at once, Mouth awoke with a new purpose and a new knowledge - this place, this cage, was one of many. It ceased its self-consumption and pressed against the boundaries of its universe with questing spears of gravity and light.

Et has created Envoys with a fragment of its power - it loses d2, dropping its roll to d8, but seeding the multiverse with mortals who have the power to change the fate of worlds and resist the spread of Mouth. These supersophonts have powers over the same Portfolio as Et, though on a much smaller scale, and will over time inevitably act to slow the spread of Mouth. Will they be enough? OTMH, on the other hand, has fed Mouth Siran from across the multiverse, awakening it to the concept of escape from its bindings. Both Archons are pleased, gaining +1 to their next roll.

Uz-Uz, the Lover of Life, hated Mouth with a fierceness unrivaled by any other. So when Tha of the Hunger guided the dark Star towards the Sunpaths and bade it to chew its way through into other worlds, it acted immediately. As Mouth touched one of the few remaining Stars in its domain, focusing its hunger to a needle point rather than enveloping the celestial body all at once, Uz-Uz caused it to flare into a supernova of flame. Mouth evaporated at the touch of it, for the first time feeling true pain… and true anger. It sought out another Star, and the same thing occurred once again - flame and the anti-flame at its core were now anathema to one another, and contact led to annihilation. Though the Sunpaths lay close and tantalizingly open, the blazing soulfire of the Stars stood vigil against its depradations. It turned against itself again in its madness, unable to proceed.

Tha showed Mouth the way to other lands - but Uz-Uz barred the gates. As long as the Stars blaze, Mouth cannot pass through the Sunpaths. Uz-Uz is pleased, gaining +1 to its next roll. Though Tha was unsuccessful it its goal, its action still allowed it to stabilize, increasing its roll to d4.

Kay felt Mouth’s restlessness keenly, and stretched out a tendril to forestall its rages. At the very edge of its universe, from the pinprick points of dead Stars (their Sunpaths snuffed out along with their fires), it let through a trickle of scattered energies, things otherwise wasted or useless in their homelands. Mouth fell upon these vortices greedily, sustaining itself with the flow but unable to pass through them. It wasn’t perfect, and Kay felt itself fragment with the effort, but it would hold Mouth back, for now.

Knar bristled at the corruption of its Sunpaths by Kay of the Vortex, but relented as another idea took it. Should Mouth escape, all of creation could be imperiled. The Embers, at least, could escape to other places, but what of the Maki? What of the primitive Life on their planets? The Sunpaths could not remained closed to them, not in light of that eventuality. Quietly, thoughtfully, Knar opened the Sunpaths to all. All except Mouth. The Envoys scattered among the multiverse’s Life became aware of the change instantly and, where possible, began to plan towards their use.

Kay opens what amounts to garbage disposal chutes along the edges of Mouth’s universe, granting it enough sustenance to keep it from going wild or perishing. In so doing, it Branches - its roll remains d4, and a new d2 Archon is created. Knar opens the Sunpaths to all - though many or most simply do not have the means to use them, as of yet. Interstellar Maki will discover their use first, followed by some surprisingly advanced Lifeforms in great ships or with specially adapted bioforms. It will be enough to save some, at least, should it be required.

The Pattern corrupted and slid away from Xe-War and suddenly Err waswasn’t and it clawed at the Stars and it twisted space and it wasn’twas there anymore and it rippled and it shook and the Stars and their light bent awaytowards it and the Embers couldn’t bear to lookcast themselves into its nascent mass and Err err err err err err Err eRr erR ERR took shape and looked out at the world around it and it was PleasedAgonizedTorturedAmusedHungryKind and it smiled with teeth like nebula and it was GoodNULL

Err was was is is is is is now now now look look at is is is ɥǝɹǝ heɹ e he rǝ. Ǝrr stab-stab-STAB-S┴AB-ST∀B lies lᴉes liǝs to too two d4..

Tusk of Light and Shadows sought to illumine the mind of the Darkened Embers, revealing to them the secrets of the Akashic Record - but the cared only for the glimmer of rare treasures, and put little stock in prophecy. Tusk dissipated, releasing Chiaroscuro-Siran to flit amongst the light and shadow of a trillion worlds.

Gan spoke amongst the Maki, teaching them of a new way to Entwine, to create something new and greater through combination and Singularity. They scoffed at the tiny Archon, and it, too, vanished into Siran and was gone. Singularity-Siran sat in the heart of stars and pressed against the boundaries of the Sunpaths, where gravity was strongest and where they could be closest to everything else.

Tusk attempts to reveal the Akashic Record to the Darkened Embers, but they reject its works. It perishes in the attempt. Gan attempts to incite the Maki to combine, but they reject its lies. It perishes in the attempt.

Xe-War selects a universe of its own most pleasing to its Portfolio, and further aligns it, arranging all of it into a beautifully interlocking fractal pattern laden with mathematical perfection of symmetry. It condenses its awareness further and further, trailing away rivulets of power through the cosmos as it falls, until whatever’s left of it slams into the planet of Wreaxiom. The impact alters the atmospheric composition of the world such that a nascent crystalline species gains dominance, soon rising to sentience and beyond. Built into the very lattice of their being is an understanding of the Record and of Karma, and of the subtle interconnections between all things. For now, the Wreax will watch and study, but the time will come soon when they must act.

Xe-War, Second Aspect of the First Child of the First Child of the Second Child of The Whole, lets itself fall into Sacrifice so that the Wreax people can ascend into something greater. Its roll, d4, is lost forever and does not generate another Archon.

Siran contain tiny pieces of Archonic energy. Miniscule, microscopic, less than even a mortal Envoy. They flow in along with the detritus of the multiverse, forgotten and useless amongst the wreckage. They flow into Mouth. Mouth devours them morsel by morsel and wants more of them. More and better pieces of delectable rarities. It stretches in its cage restlessly and gnaws at space.
d4=2

It tears a piece of it away and chews it thoughfully.

...uh…

---
One Archon Spots Currently Empty - Kay-born (d2)

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 19, 2017

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Icon:
Name: Tha
Portfolio: Hunger
Action: No! Vile archons of stagnation and order interposed themselves between Mouth and all Mouth desired! This would not stand. Tha resolved to unite with Mouth and grant it strength, even if that meant feeding itself to the empty flame.

Unite with Mouth: 1d4 2

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Icon:
Name: Splulp (Kay-Born)
Portfolio: Detritus
Action: Splulp rises to consciousness somewhere among the vortex holes leading ever onward to Mouth. She wildly reaches out toward the chaotic and random pieces of waste flowing around her, attempting to anchor herself before she falls headlong into the devouring force.

Form a physical body out of the surrounding detritus and stop her descent into Mouth: 1d2 = 2

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Icon:
Name: Knar
Portfolio: Sunpaths
Action: The waste falling into the Mouth's realm had, as he had noted before, been run through darkened Sunpaths. Knar attempted to reassert its authority back over them. 1d4=1!

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Icon:
Name: Os-Ten-Ma-Hath
Portfolio: Keeping, Spirals, Darkness
Action: Reach out to the five richest, most powerful Dark Embers, and name them Hand. Sacrifice self to grant them greater power and purpose. First, to serve the Mouth, and second, to organize the Dark Embers. 9

I really like Mouth's icon.

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 13, 2017

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Icon:
Name: Kay
Portfolio: Vortex

Kay witnessed the birthpangs of its own progeny as Spulp attempted taking its own shape and making experimental forms for itself within the scattered materia that traveled along the vortex holes to Mouth, and it felt a swelling of both pride and apprehension. Kay realized in growing horror that the vortex holes that Spulp was materializing itself inside were but simple things, mere collection drainage systems made for transporting deconstructed materia. With this basic nature in mind, the vortex holes had only been designed to flow one way: toward the colossal being Mouth's ever-gaping maw.

Surely, the Kay-born Archon named Spulp wasn't a suicidal entity? Surely, it must have a plan in mind to prevent itself from being devoured when its materialized body reached Mouth?!

Just to be safe (and to ensure the survival of its kin) Kay attempted to plant a safe sphere of Vortex influence WITHIN Mouth, where complex materia filtered from the Vortex Holes could exist, hopefully unnoticed.

Action: To prevent clogging, Kay filters the vortex holes for more complex materials and deposits those filtered clogs in a safe spot within Mouth's universe - somewhere that Mouth cannot "see."
Vortex Hole Safety Zone: 1d4 4

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

A note, that I just realized: Splulp outrolled Knar.

e-
Siran?

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 13, 2017

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Aabcehmu posted:

A note, that I just realized: Splulp outrolled Knar.

e-
Siran?

Typo!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
EYE CON:

EYE DENTIFIER: Err

OVER SIGHT: E̶̡̺͔̘̭̪̝͙̞̗͙̩͔̬͍̠̮̮͊̋ͦͪ͒̍ͣ̿ͬ̔̆̅̏͑̾̐͜͜͠R̷͔͈͈͕̞̙͉̠̝̹̺̬̰̿͆̿̎̉ͨ̃̽͆͐͝R̷ͫͭ̉͌ͪ̋ͨ͐͒͊͏҉̰̳̥̗͍̫͉͝O̧̥͙̯̫̟̬̳̟̬̰̣̲̤͇̯̞̳̯̠͆̋ͯͭ̐̉̋͒ͪ̊́͘͡Ŗ̎͛̌̏͗͏͙͇͈̰̮͓͓͘͟ͅ

FORE SIGHT: ______(self) NULL ERROR

self = Eyes

Mouth = _______(universe) NULL ERROR

Mouth != Eyes

if Mouth = Eyes:
Mouth.sight(______(universe) NULL ERROR)
finally:
Mouth = _______(self) NULL ERROR

Mouth.append(Eyes) 1d4 = 3

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 14, 2017

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

This turn is a good turn for team Supermassive Black Hole.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Planning to update tomorrow. Think we're missing Et and Uz-Uz, but I don't want to stall for too much longer; finished one CYOA today, may as well try for two soon!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh geez sorry I didn't notice this had updated already. I'll edit this with my move in a moment.

Icon:

Name: Et

Portfolio: Heat Approaching Energy

Action: Et felt a great joy at dividing its power between the sentient beings of the multiverse, even as he himself was weakened in turn. He felt confident that they would be capable enough against the Mouth... If he could only stop his fellow Archon from making it stronger. But direct confrontation was not the way of Archon, and much less was it the way of Et. So instead he decided to try to minimize the effects of the Mouth where he could, by giving it a Duty. The Duty of the Mouth would be the one of the Duel. Before it could consume the matter of any given multiverse besides the one which had spawned it, it would have to seek out and defeat the resident Envoy. Et hoped this would eventually weaken it enough to defeat, through, if nothing else, the power of attrition. It was growing tremendously powerful however, and Et was unsure if his waning power would be sufficient to affect it in such a manner. But still, he had to try.

Roll: 1d8+1=3

Et's first bad roll comes at an ominous time. Maybe we'll find out what happens when an Archon rolls less than the Mouth...

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 19, 2017

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Interesting! It seems Kay is destined to ascend to d8 status.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Icon:

Name: Uz-Uz

Portfolio: Entwining

Action: Uz-Uz sees the peril that the the mouth represented to all life. So, Uz decided to try and empower the Maki. The Maki already had the ability to create life, So Uz-Uz empowered that ability, so the maki might be able to create powerful life forms capable of fighting against the mouth and the dark hand.

Give the Maki the ability to make bioweapons to fight the mouth 1d4+1: 3

Sorry I'm late.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

ShadowGlass posted:

Wow, I totally missed this earlier, I'm sorry! I'm glad you like the game, crazy as it is. As for using the end result, probably not! It's certainly an interesting world you've all created, but the several possible endings I have planned based on your actions and probable reactions don't really leave a lot of space for continuation! I mean, there's certainly no reason I couldn't set it during a mortal life-scale time period some time between the beginning of time and the end... okay, I retract my 'probably not' and change it to 'maybe, but it likely won't be the point of said hypothetical game'!

Also, once this is all said and done, would you mind making a final flowchart of the Theomachy? It's really neat to see how the power divides and splits from the beginning to the end, especially with how people chose to do their Icons.

Update is coming within a few hours!

edit:

Obscil posted:

Sorry I'm late.

Ha, this is a super casual, super slow game - I don't blame you at all!

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

I'd also really like to see the finalized flowchart, and in particular where Mouth would stand in it.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Os-Ten-Ma-Hath laughed and praised the dark Star in its universal cage, admiring its tenacity and the growing ferociousness with which it sought out Archonic energy. Truly, the Archon of the Spiraling Darkness of Keeping had created something never before seen, a true threat to the order of things. The multiverse had grown stagnant in the long eons since The Whole first divided, and Os-Ten-Ma-Hath (in its various incarnations) had seen it all. Time to end it. All of it. It reached out with its power and found the five richest, most powerful Dark Embers, commanding hundreds of thousands of Void Comets in great Fleets, and bent them towards a greater purpose. Mouth would continue to ascend in power, and the Hand would aid in its ascension. As their five tiny minds awoke to the reality of their duties, Os-Ten-Ma-Hath closed its million, million eyes for the last time. And the multiverse did tremble.

Os-Ten-Ma-Hath, Fourth Aspect of the Second Child of The Whole, lets itself fall into Sacrifice so that the Hand of the Dark Embers can further its grooming of the dark Star, Mouth. Its roll, d10, is lost forever and does not generate another Archon.

Other, weaker Archons followed the lead of their great ancestor in aiding the Dark Star. Tha, Archon of Hunger and fragment of Johj, careened into Mouth’s world through one of the few remaining Sunpaths and plunged into the black mass. Its awareness vanished instantaneously, the Hunger of its portfolio destroyed or subsumed into an even greater one.

OthERRs opted instaed to bnid thmesleves to its sevrice - Err held itttself apart from the blaack Star M-MOuth and showed it the worlworlds it was missing in its bodnage. Mouth, captivated by the show, redoubled its efforts to escape, to savour these places and things that its Eye displayed to it. Errrr could no mor s-cape then Mouth now but wuz instead a c-captive satellite glooed to the hungery Star’s surfice. And it w∀s Goop?

Tha, First Aspect of the Second Child of First Child of the Second Child of The Whole, lets itself fall into Sacrifice so that the dark Star, Mouth, may be empowered by it. Its roll, d4, is lost forever and does not generate another Archon. Err binds itself to Mouth, acting as a multiversal eye for the great blind hunger of the Mouth. It must act to benefit the Mouth or else be consumed! It is pleased, gaining +1 to its next roll.

Et watched his Envoys through the years as they rallied their people against Mouth. Such was the variety of Life that the effects of their efforts were nearly unpredictable: one one world, the scent-pattern of a Star blacker than night spread across the vast fields of floral minds, igniting first terror then determination in the fluid-engines of the planet’s inhabitants; on another, the Envoy was killed in a religious fervor denouncing the apocalyptic lies of a madman - but when they returned, again and again, in different forms, the people began to listen to them; on still another, the Envoy was already the unquestioned leader of the world, and began churning out an unending stream of devastating warships. It wouldn’t be enough, thought Et, and sought out the Mouth creature itself. It laid a brand of its power upon it, a Duty that would slow its advance should it ever escape from its prison. In so doing, Et was surprised to discover its own power ursurped by Kay of the Vortex. It slunk away, clinging tightly to its diminished power.

Kay scarcely noticed its new power, so concerned was it with the fate of its Child, Splulp. It slammed raw power into Mouth, forcing it aside with a Vortex of space to create a safe area in which the Archon of Detritus could survive. Splulp, newly embodied in a form made of the flotsam of a trillion worlds, slid along the complex and spiralling topologies of the vortex until it sat in relative safety in a twisted pocket of space at Mouth’s very centre. Mouth twisted and sought after the Archon, so close but unattainable, but could no more touch it than a mortal could lift themselves off the ground.

Et plants a Duty on Mouth, forcing it to assault and defeat a system’s Envoy before being able to consume it - in theory. Spulp generates a physical form from incoming debris and - with Kay’s help, manages to secure a safe foothold in the world of Mouth. In addition, Kay has Overwhelmed Et, stealing from it the Heat/Approaching/Energy portfolio and the d8 roll! Kay does not need to change anything apart from its roll and the addition to its portfolio - its Icon remains the same - and in addition gains a +1 to next roll. Et, on the other hand, must choose a different portfolio (something related but lesser, ideally), add a syllable to their name, and modify their Icon slightly, and now rolls a d4. Neither of them Branch, incidentally. Splulp stabilizes and rises to d4

Uz-Uz watched the Envoys with equal interest, and opted to grant them a boon of its own. On many worlds, the Maki were worshipped by the people, who saw their trivial powers of worldshaping as something truly miraculous. On others, the Maki were hunted - and, very rarely, killed - to prevent their meddling with Envoy affairs. On still others, the Envoys and Maki lived in accordance to their harmonious Karma, working together towards the betterment of all. To each of them, regardless of their status, Uz-Uz granted them the ability to reshape the Life around them, to create weapons of the people and the organisms they shared a planet with. Many Maki were strongly against such, but it mattered not - it was war, or it would be soon.

Uz-Uz grants the ability to the Maki to reshape their worlds into weapons against the Black Star. It is pleased, and gains +1 to its next roll.

Knar ran a frantic race to secure the Sunpaths in Mouth’s universe - certainly, the Flame would scour it and diminish it, but what of when the Flame grew cold and dim? Could Mouth travel through dead or nearly dead Sunpaths? There was precedent, and that was too much! It grabbed the Sunpaths and attempted to flare them into life once more - but it found it could not, and with a gasp it Divided.

Knar loses control of the Sunpaths, rendering them turbulent and unruly - and open. Knar Divides, forming two Archons - one of whom is free, but the other remains under your control. Either Knar remains in some capacity (in which case you should add a syllable to your name and slightly change your Icon) or you create an entirely new one. Either way, you’re both rolling a d2 now.

Mouth pulled and coiled and roiled and grumbled at its captivity. It could taste fragments of other places and it wanted them. Suddenly, it could see them - a strange thing orbitted its vastness, granting tantalizing glimpses of other places, other spaces, as though through a cracked and warped lens. Something struck it, and it felt Hungrier than ever - and stronger. It heard voices, five of them, calling to it. Darkened Embers, it knew them. It had fed upon them. It struck out at them but they would not relent, for they had a message. They had scoured the universe (what was left of it) and discovered a weakened Star, scarcely clinging to its flame.

Mouth poured itself against the indicated barrier.
1d4+1d4=5
The star guttered out and tore, laying bare a Sunpath. Mouth hestitated not a moment before devouring it, pulling its way through and out into the wider multiverse!

With the power of Tha’s sacrifice, Mouth has breached containment! Each Archon it consumes will have their roll appended to its current roll. It cannot Divide or Branch, but it can fail and be foiled in its actions. Err is drawn along with it, and Splulp is technically inside it - topology gets complicated here! The Hand will work with Mouth against the rest of creation, ideally turning outher Darkened Embers against the Envoys, Maki, and other Embers in consuming everything. Good luck!

---
One Archon Spot Currently Empty - Knar-born (d2)!

(One thing! There’s that Archon-Seed, out in the multiverse somewhere, that’s equivalent to a d8 roll. Kay, can you check whether that should have awakened yet according to your math? If it has, I’ll edit this post to account for that. If it hasn’t, you’d better not let Mouth get to it!)

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
With the Archonic power lost from Os-Ten-Ma-Hath (d10) and Tha's (d4) sacrifice to Mouth, the maximum potential Archonic power remaining in the multiverse has suddenly dropped from 40 to 28.

The Archon-Seed should be sprouting!

With the addition of that new Archon, there will be 2d8, 4d4, and 2d2 Archons remaining, either for or against Mouth's 2d4.

Dinosaurmageddon fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 20, 2017

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Claiming the d8 spot generated from the archon seed, if that's a thing I can do.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Thank you, have a nice day.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Icon:
Name: Knar-led
Portfolio: Sunpaths
Action: The moment the Mouth attached itself to the Sunpath, Knar-led tried to double it back upon itself, so that it led back towards itself alone, an infinite, unending loop cut adrift forever, the Mouth its sole intended occupant.

1d2=2!

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Icon:
Name: Kay
Portfolio: Energy, Approaching, Heat, Vortex

Kay witnessed the rise and fall of its fellow Archons as they threw themselves against Mouth either to fight it or to feed it, and in doing so Kay recoiled with searing alarm as it was suddenly suffused with a strange upsurge of not just Archon Et's power, but of untold responsibility! Kay sucked inwardly and took stock:

Kay's portfolio of powers had expanded significantly. It swelled with the crackling forces of both Heat and Energy, which churned chaotically in the Approaching forces that were intensified by the Vortex. It imagined itself fabricating itself on the material plane, becoming a super-massive vortex hole surrounded by several galaxies' worth white hot plasma, and it knew that it was good... Then it remembered that this would make it no different than Mouth. This was just Mouth again, only with a brighter color scheme...

Kay needed to think again - it needed something it couldn't have created on its own, when it was only a lowly Archon of the Vortex. Kay needed to create more... time!

Kay concocted a simplified Archon equation to keep Mouth from needing to go anywhere, now that it has breached its containment: as Energy Approaches Heat over Time, Vortex.
Basically, what the equation meant was: as the Energy of a universe Approaches Heat death, Vortex the Energy to Mouth.

Action: Heat Death of the Universes sustain Mouth, affording more Time
Buying Time with Heat Decay: 1d8+1 8

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Since I lost my portfolio, did I also my connection to the Envoys? Do they now get Kay's portfolio? This affects my decision for this round so it's somewhat important.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

Since I lost my portfolio, did I also my connection to the Envoys? Do they now get Kay's portfolio? This affects my decision for this round so it's somewhat important.

Nope, connection remains, and they retain your original portfolio - no takebacks! This is easier for everyone, so let's go with that.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Dibs on the Knar-born, I just need to clarify something: I submitted an action two turns ago by mistake when all of the spots were already taken. Can I re-use that? I'll modify it slightly, I'm mostly interested in if I can use that roll, or if I should re-roll it.

Dog Kisser posted:

Wow, I totally missed this earlier, I'm sorry! I'm glad you like the game, crazy as it is. As for using the end result, probably not! It's certainly an interesting world you've all created, but the several possible endings I have planned based on your actions and probable reactions don't really leave a lot of space for continuation! I mean, there's certainly no reason I couldn't set it during a mortal life-scale time period some time between the beginning of time and the end... okay, I retract my 'probably not' and change it to 'maybe, but it likely won't be the point of said hypothetical game'!
Yep, that's how I meant it, not as continuation or similar, but more like a backdrop / (partially) unseen backstory for a mortal-scale game. I imagine people on a world would worship the Maki as gods (probably wouldn't call them Maki either, but we'd recognize them because they're still giant space-serpents), and if it's a pre-Envoy era they wouldn't know anything about Embers, Dark Embers or Archons.

As for player actions, I think one lesson from this and other CYOAs is that if players know that the game is ending soon, some will always go full destructive mode :unsmigghh:

Dog Kisser posted:

Also, once this is all said and done, would you mind making a final flowchart of the Theomachy? It's really neat to see how the power divides and splits from the beginning to the end, especially with how people chose to do their Icons.
I'll have some time this weekend, so I'll do an update, and I'll definitely do a final one once it's over.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

In a silent pocket dimension, yet untouched by Mouth's depredations, the Archon-Seed began to stir. Ambient levels of Archonic energy had dropped and were dropping still. In short, conditions were perfect for a new awakening, a germination of the potential contained within the Seed. It began to stir... and then something new rose from its universal shell!

The Archon-Seed has sprouted! A new d8 Archon of any Icon or Portfolio is generated from this, the combination of wasted and lost Archonic energy. And sure, UnCO, it's yours!

edit:

ShadowGlass posted:

Dibs on the Knar-born, I just need to clarify something: I submitted an action two turns ago by mistake when all of the spots were already taken. Can I re-use that? I'll modify it slightly, I'm mostly interested in if I can use that roll, or if I should re-roll it.

Nah, go ahead and re-use that, we're casual here!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 20, 2017

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Also, a note that I never really mentioned to anyone, but was influencing my thoughts throughout the formative turns of Mouth.

Os-Ten-Ma-Hath fell and climbed through many stages from the beginning to the end. OTMH remembered the time soon after the first division, and every division thereafter. OTMH was familiar with that pain, and realized that ultimately, such pain was felt everything, by the now-gone Whole. So, beneath all of the domains and chaos of the universe, OTMH created Mouth, to create a new Whole in the end of time, bringing everything separated back together. Or so OTMH hoped.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Icon:

Name: Et-Ro

Portfolio: Duty

Action: For the first time, Et, now Et-Ro, felt the pain of division. He had willingly given parts of himself before, but this felt much different. He felt diminished, and almost gave up. But he realized even in such a state, he still had a purpose. He had to try and protect Creation from the Mouth and the actions of his fellow Archon, he had a Duty to do so. As he thought so, he realized that was his true strength behind all the powers. His own condensed form of the portfolios he had acquired. For what is Duty but the the Energy necessary to Approach Heat? And so Et was reborn as Et-Ro, Archon of Duty. He felt all the stronger for having made this decision, and thus took his first act as a new form: He had given Duty to many sentient beings, but in this newer, purer form, could he not do the same to anything? So he gave Creation itself a Duty, the Duty to BE. And so Et-Ro attemps to, in giving it a Duty, grant Creation itself a sentience and a will. This was such a tremendous drain of power that he could not tell what such a being what to do, and could not predict how it would think, and could very well drain him in his entirety and still not be enough. But the actions of Archons had turned dark in recent eons, so he felt the need to create something greater than them, something to place them in check so that all would not be consumed in the wake of their proxy battles.

So Et-Ro put all his power into this, and hoped. He hoped as he had never hoped before.

In short: Et-Ro attemps to give Creation itself the Duty to Be, and thus grant it sentience and will.

Roll: 1d4=4!

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Knar born:

Icon:
Portfolio: Realms
Action: Shard organizes the Multiverse into layers (Realms), so it’s easier to understand by living things, especially those of the 2nd generation. At the bottom he places the Material Realm and at the top the Spiritual Realm. Separating them in the middle is the Realm of Forces (some mortals may incorrectly call this the Magical Realm). These are of course not physically above and below each other. All realms are present everywhere in the Multiverse. Shard also creates the laws of the realms:
- Anything (living or not) that exists in one realm, also exists in all higher realms in some form. A presence in the Material Realm is called a Body, in the Middle Realm it’s called an Aura, and in the Spiritual Realm it’s called a Soul. Most of this already exists in the Multiverse, like bodies, forces and souls. Aura is the only new concept (and also that inanimate objects have souls too)
- Control flows downwards. The souls/archons control the forces, and forces control the material world. Nothing really new here.
- Influence flows upwards. Thoughts/feelings/mood/physical well being all can change ones Aura (fast), and the way someone lives their life will leave a mark/change their soul (much slower). The souls of those who have no presence in lower realms (dead, archons) are much more static and unchanging. Similarly the Aura of those without a body (Siran) are less flexible and rarely change.
- The same being can have different levels of consciousness on the different realms (see examples)

Making Realms: 1d2=2

Btw, I call life created by the Archons the 1st generation (Embers, Dark Embers, Maki, Siran, etc.) and call life created by the 1st generation as the 2nd generation (planetary life created by the Maki).

Some examples:

• Most living things and all objects (stars, planets, comets etc.) exist in all three realms. Siran don't have a body, so they primarily exist in the Realm of Forces, and also have a Soul. The souls of the dead and the Archons themselves only exist in the Spiritual Realm. Mouth is a special case, as it is similar to Archons, but its origin as a Star means it has a physical body, thus a presence in all three realms. Having a body allowed Archons to imprison it to a single universe in previous eras.
  • Mortals (2nd generation) are only conscious on the Material Realm. Some of them could learn (usually from the Maki or Envoys) to achieve temporary consciousness in the Realm of Forces and make some changes there which will affect the Material Realm ("magic"). They'd use the "Influence flows upwards" rule to attune their mind to their own Aura, like put themselves in a specific mood, focus on a specific thought or putting their bodies into specific forms (think ritual dance or hand-motions). The possibilities are endless, the details really only depend what kind of system the Maki teach on a planet.
    Some (very rare) mortals might achieve (also temporary) consciousness on the Spiritual realm. This'd allow them to do things like communicate with the souls of the dead, or recall memories of their own past lives, etc. Maybe even communicate to the Maki, if they are willing (not to the Archons, that would be like an ant trying to talk to a mountain, the scales are too different)
  • Most of the first generation are fully or mostly conscious on both the Material Realm and the Realm of Forces, which truly makes them god-like compared to 2nd generation mortals. Conscious Siran of course also fully conscious on the Realm of Forces (they're not present in the Material Realm), but individually they're weaker even than a magic-user mortal (except that their conscious influence is not temporary).
  • Mouth is the only being that's fully present and fully conscious on all three realms, so... scary as gently caress. But this also poses limitations for it as mentioned above. More importantly its Aura and Soul are not as static as that of the Archons. It's truly alive in a sense and its life experience could influence and change its Soul.

ShadowGlass fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 24, 2017

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Icon:
Name: Strength
Portfolio: Forever
Action: A mighty seed germinated in the folds of space. It sprouted, and grew and grew at an incredible pace, pushing aside universes as its golden trunk roared upwards into the void and its leaves brushed off sunpaths until - it reached its full height, and the multiverse the Archons created and coddled and raised and threatened with utter destruction was just a single golden fruit ripening on its manifold branches, skin, flesh, seed-core and all. One fruit among many. An infinite number, in fact.

So stood the tree of infinity in that anArchonic, half-lit abyss, suspending the omniverse from its boughs. And if a fruit were to ripen and fall...

Create the omniverse: 1d8 8

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I like how this turn things have just started taking a turn for absurdly high power. Not that this is a bad thing, necessarily, I just think it's funny that everyone spent a bunch of turns sort of manually messing with the sentient species and now that DK has said that the game is coming to an end soon all the super powered poo poo is coming out.

Edit: I also like how my dramatic idea of making the multiverse sentient has now been completely clowned as it turns out I created a sentient fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Fruit that may ripen and grow into new Archonic trees of infinity... or fall endlessly into the abyss, you know, whatever. It's Archons all the way down.

• Locked thread