Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
So a little while ago, I found this old issue of Game Informer a friend gave me in late 2007:

I decided to give it a quick look and this caught my eye: someone sent in a drawing of Death from the game Darksiders II.

(Left page, center)

Now, I can't seem to find a lot of articles about the first game's development (most of the articles I've found are about the remaster) but I have found a few articles which seem to indicate that these characters were designed in late '09/early '10 (around the time they were working on the first game's tie-in comic)
http://www.vg247.com/2010/01/12/darksiders-famine-pestilence-and-death-already-designed-says-joe-mad/
http://www.vg247.com/2010/01/12/darksiders-strife-fury-and-death-art-revealed/

So here's my question: if Vigil Games was founded in 2005, and Darksiders went into development sometime around 2007 (IIRC), how exactly does this drawing exist? How did the GI staff recognize this character who, by all indication, didn't exist yet? Could this, perhaps, be some kind of 'glitch' in existence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kubert
Aug 9, 2010
Halt your investigations immediately. This is your only warning

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This is freaking me the gently caress out.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Pwetty weird

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

weird that someone would put skulls on a dude named death

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Preeeeetty cool

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I remember when Darksiders came out I noticed that the design for Death's mask looked exactly like... someone that I can't remember. A character from something else. Man this is really going to bug me for the next 5 minutes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The original plan was to have you play as each of the four horsemen(horsepeople? one was a chick) in the game. Concept art for each of the horsepeople was released at the same time as the game was announced. The fan art of Death is literally a carbon copy of his concept art, right down to the crow crooking it's head.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh snap he's right, here's the picture

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I remember when Darksiders came out I noticed that the design for Death's mask looked exactly like... someone that I can't remember. A character from something else. Man this is really going to bug me for the next 5 minutes.

According to the wikia (I know I know) - "The chosen look for Death is very similar to Raziel in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StrixNebulosa posted:

According to the wikia (I know I know) - "The chosen look for Death is very similar to Raziel in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver."

Nah I'm pretty sure it was someone else with a skull mask that had no mouth

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah. Death is more-or-less Raziel with muscles (and none of the sonorous tones of Michael Bell).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's Vega from street fighter

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Harlock posted:

It's Vega from street fighter

No it's Balrog

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it
I don't remember Halo being bright green

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

New mandella effect: Balrog originally named M. Bison?

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

DrPaper posted:

New mandella effect: Balrog originally named M. Bison?

M. Bison originally Vega?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Holy poo poo.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Get ready for this one boys: the forest gump quote is actually "Life was like a box of chocolates". Whoa man.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

How did the GI staff recognize this character who, by all indication, didn't exist yet? Could this, perhaps, be some kind of 'glitch' in existence?

The artist included a description with the picture.
:goonsay:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nah I'm pretty sure it was someone else with a skull mask that had no mouth

The guy from the splatterhouse remake but it was released in 2010 as well :psyduck:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Someone get me Joe Mad on the horn... we need to get this poo poo figured out ASAP~!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Thinking about death today... what does something like this imply, on an existential level? Has this particular visualization of Death always been with us on some collective level? Hmmmm...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Platonic anthropomorphized form of Death is a bald man in black speaking Swedish, of course.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Thinking about death today... what does something like this imply, on an existential level? Has this particular visualization of Death always been with us on some collective level? Hmmmm...

I think it's more likely Joe Mad stole those poor bastards design.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Thinking about this again today... what could this all mean.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I want to think you're a phony, but I can't prove it. I ordered a copy of the magazine off Amazon, but it never arrived.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
I could not figure out what in the hell you're talking about by looking at your pictures, so it's probably nothing.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Legin Noslen posted:

I could not figure out what in the hell you're talking about by looking at your pictures, so it's probably nothing.

Lumpy is suggesting fan art appeared in a game informer several years before the games announcement or release

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the berenstein death

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OP when I was 10 I had a vision of the pokemon Schulk at least two months before the Gold and Silver were announced so most likely the guy who drew this pic probably had a vision dream of Darksiders 2.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

In case anybody here doesn't believe me, have at it: Game Informer Issue 175 November 2007 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQN4UIE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ivPMyb33DQN2D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

turn off the TV posted:

OP when I was 10 I had a vision of the pokemon Schulk at least two months before the Gold and Silver were announced so most likely the guy who drew this pic probably had a vision dream of Darksiders 2.

Did you have this vision while looking at a turtle? Cause that would probably explain it.

• Locked thread