Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hatebag posted:

Sea level rise is not a huge concern in/of itself. Just make a nuke tunnel in Western Sahara. It's uninhabited and making a big sea & associated wetlands would reduce albedo compared to desert. More CO2 sinks too. It wouldn't be habitable afterwards but that is not a change.
I for one can't wait for climate change to get so bad that patently insane engineering projects can become reality.

i like the mega project that was planning dam of the Mediterranean sea, and drain some of it off to make more land for Europe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
could I power my TV with an exercise bike

that would help me lose weight while being entertained

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Rutibex posted:

i like the mega project that was planning dam of the Mediterranean sea, and drain some of it off to make more land for Europe

Lol, just throw up a half dozen 3 GW nuke plants to run the constant pumps needed to make agriculturally useless land available! And a couple need to be in big time earthquake zones and run by real lovely countries. That's a spicy meat a ball!

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Hatebag posted:

Yeah also you need data on how to charge customers so you need meters that collect time-indexed data and that's a pretty big upfront cost for something with marginal benefit.

Yeah smart meters are required with any kind of variable billing scheme. Some utilities are rolling them out anyway because the data they can get from them makes it worth it (and sometimes they can lobby state legislatures into raising electrical bills for it).

basic hitler posted:

Power companies shouldn't be allowed to punish people for generating their own power, especially since people who do this can also generate more electricity than they use and the power company naturally benefits from increased capacity without burning extra fuel.

This more or less seems like a bunch of greedy shitheads trying to protect their profit margins.

Deregulating the power companies was a mistake.

I think "punish" is a little far for what's going on in the OP. Solar users are still paying less on average than non-solar users (which makes basic sense they are using less fuel as you point out). They're being charged more per kilowatt hour because solar users still need the grid to work and power plants to run when the sun is down (especially during peak hours when there's little solar power, power demand is at its max, and the grid is under the most stress), and a variable fee based on usage that is the same for solar and non-solar customers may not capture those costs fairly for solar users.

That said there's always the possibility this company is being greedy shitheads and are over-exaggerating the problem. The problem they "say" they're solving is real though.

Woden posted:

$0.3/kWh is pretty drat low, had a blow out in South Australia that hit $8.90/kWh this winter.

You're right I forgot about that. Man that was a mess.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

That's not a real problem. This is a way to punish people who use alternative energy obviously. If people are using solar during the day and only need it during the evening, that means they're no loving different than any other customer, who uses less during the day too. It just digs into a power company's profit margins and the easiest way to offset that is to lock people into higher rates if they opt to use another supplemental energy source.

But there's not an actual problem charging a higher rate on them fixes. Infrastructure is more or less paid for/subsidized by the state. a private company raising rates on solar users is them panicking because they see the writing on the wall.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

yeah gbs loving sucks now because of it

Trump getting elected means everyone was wrong about dumb guys so get ready to hear their ill informed opinions set to maximum smug.

Mentioning which-- anyone who mentions global cooling pretty obviously hasn't done any reading at all. One minute of research should be enough for anyone to figure out it is a daft comparison.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Woden posted:

$0.3/kWh is pretty drat low, had a blow out in South Australia that hit $8.90/kWh this winter.

Was it cheaper to use candles and lanterns than turn the lights on at that point?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

first they came for the solar panel users

but seriously this is a crock of poo poo, as hitler up there said there's really no difference between someone using less electricity because they travel a lot, and someone using less electricity because they have a solar panel. cry me a river, power companies

Woden
May 6, 2006

The_Franz posted:

Was it cheaper to use candles and lanterns than turn the lights on at that point?

Probably? I think insurance covered your power provider and the actual power plants just raked in the cash. So end users(who didn't know/give a gently caress) weren't charged any more than normal and your power company was covered.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

basic hitler posted:

That's not a real problem. This is a way to punish people who use alternative energy obviously. If people are using solar during the day and only need it during the evening, that means they're no loving different than any other customer, who uses less during the day too. It just digs into a power company's profit margins and the easiest way to offset that is to lock people into higher rates if they opt to use another supplemental energy source.

But there's not an actual problem charging a higher rate on them fixes. Infrastructure is more or less paid for/subsidized by the state. a private company raising rates on solar users is them panicking because they see the writing on the wall.

I did a bit more research into the OP's issue. Turns out rates aren't going higher for solar users, so I was wrong on that. His utility is reducing the amount paid for net metering, basically how much the utility pays for solar power during the day. So it's less about punishing solar users and more about rewarding them less.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Pendragon posted:

I think "punish" is a little far for what's going on in the OP. Solar users are still paying less on average than non-solar users (which makes basic sense they are using less fuel as you point out). They're being charged more per kilowatt hour because solar users still need the grid to work and power plants to run when the sun is down

I somewhat get your point about maintaining the grid, but they may not be paying less than non-solar customers simply due to the investment into their panels and batteries. The power plants use just as much fuel to supply a kilowatt regardless if the customer happens to have solar panels or not.

It would almost be like gas stations charging those with hybrid vehicles more for a gallon of gas, just because all vehicles use the same roads to drive on.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Pendragon posted:

I did a bit more research into the OP's issue. Turns out rates aren't going higher for solar users, so I was wrong on that. His utility is reducing the amount paid for net metering, basically how much the utility pays for solar power during the day. So it's less about punishing solar users and more about rewarding them less.

I mean, that's still poo poo garbage

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Pendragon posted:

quote:

Rocky Mountain Power has proposed a rate increase for new rooftop, net metering solar energy users, rousing concerns from clean energy advocates and consumers.

If accepted by the Public Service Commission, customers who install solar panels after Dec. 9 of this year will be subject to higher rates. Previous customers will not be affected. If approved, the rates will go into effect in August 2017.

Paul Murphy, spokesperson for Rocky Mountain Power, said an average rooftop solar customer in Utah uses 1,000 kWh per month, half of which comes from solar panels. Currently, they pay $55 a month, and under the new proposal they would pay $74 a month. The average traditional energy bill is $114.

Am I reading this wrong? Only thing I see as clear as mud is the "previous customers" part. Previous customers or previous customers with solar panels?

If I were to install solar (still looking into the initial investment) I would not be as concerned about what the power company would pay me. Heck, I would rather have batteries decent enough that would store all the extra such that it would last me further into non-sun periods.

I think it would be cool if my subdivision/HOA (A total of 12 or so homes with tons of sun and large south facing roofs) all got together and all got rooftop panels and shared a bank of high-end batteries.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 2, 2016

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Fog Tripper posted:

I somewhat get your point about maintaining the grid, but they may not be paying less than non-solar customers simply due to the investment into their panels and batteries. The power plants use just as much fuel to supply a kilowatt regardless if the customer happens to have solar panels or not.

It would almost be like gas stations charging those with hybrid vehicles more for a gallon of gas, just because all vehicles use the same roads to drive on.

The gas station comparison is pretty similar to how states are trying to pay for roads without a gas tax because electric vehicles are changing the math behind a gas tax.

You're right that the fuel cost is directly correlated to how much power you use. Infrastructure cost/maintenance isn't as directly comparable to usage though, and that's where the issue lies.

basic hitler posted:

I mean, that's still poo poo garbage

Yeah, there's plenty of reasons to not like the change. Incentivizing solar seems like a good thing. Fat chance power companies do it without someone (read: governments) paying them for it.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Pendragon posted:

The gas station comparison is pretty similar to how states are trying to pay for roads without a gas tax because electric vehicles are changing the math behind a gas tax.

Why not tax people based on annual mileage of registered vehicles?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Like most things, it probably hasn't reached a level substantial enough for whoever's in charge to give a poo poo and change things.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Maybe we should focus on taxing sources that can afford it and disproportionally benefit the most from working infrastructure. Like, say, businesses, corporations, and the wealthy

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
if we tax corporations they will just move to China

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

No they won't lmao

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

President Emperor Trump is fixing that as we speak

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Fog Tripper posted:

Am I reading this wrong? Only thing I see as clear as mud is the "previous customers" part. Previous customers or previous customers with solar panels?

If I were to install solar (still looking into the initial investment) I would not be as concerned about what the power company would pay me. Heck, I would rather have batteries decent enough that would store all the extra such that it would last me further into non-sun periods.

I think it would be cool if my subdivision/HOA (A total of 12 or so homes with tons of sun and large south facing roofs) all got together and all got rooftop panels and shared a bank of high-end batteries.

Okay, looks like I was wrong again. It's not a change in net metering, it's a combination of fees. http://www.standard.net/Environment/2016/11/10/Rocky-Mountain-Power-proposes-new-rates-for-rooftop-solar-customers

The article posted:

A customer charge that will rise from $6 to $15.
A one-time $60 fee for small solar panel installations, and a $75 to $150 fee for larger systems.
A charge of $9.02 per kilowatt during high demand periods.
A 3.81 cents per kilowatt-hour charge for energy used.

Even I admit that's a little... bizarre. I can see what they're trying to do (offset the fixed costs that solar users are partially able to avoid), but having one set of rules for regular customers and a very different set of rules for solar customers isn't a good way to go about it.

In reference to your question, it looks like the rules mainly apply to new installs after the change takes effect, not people with existing stuff.

Fog Tripper posted:

Why not tax people based on annual mileage of registered vehicles?

That's exactly what they're trying to do. Figuring out a way to do it while avoiding privacy concerns is the issue.

Edit: that and they want to incentivize hybrid and electric vehicles in a sustainable way.

Pendragon fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 2, 2016

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

The Protagonist posted:

Why don't you 'buy in' to climate change op?

op, waving power bill in your face: I CAN'T AFFORD TO!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hey OP, I kindly hosed off before, but I just got back and wanted to point something out:

:lol:Global cooling:lol:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Pendragon posted:

Edit: that and they want to incentivize hybrid and electric vehicles in a sustainable way.

Well I would see having less fuel to pay for as an incentive. Much like electricity.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Shinjobi posted:

Hey OP, I kindly hosed off before, but I just got back and wanted to point something out:

:lol:Global cooling:lol:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
lol if you don't invent a perpetual energy device to power your home and other utilities and refuse to share it to the public.

Also I don't believe in the OP making a good post :grin:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Global cooling is a fake idea. Everyone knows the real threat is moonular freezing.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There's a generator that runs on water but Big Energy is suppressing it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
in california they shut down our nuke plant at San Onofre because they were too cheap to pay for it and as a result our electricity rates went up about 30%

i'm pretty sure that it was just a scheme on the part of the utility company to bilk people out of more money

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

actually it's probably because liberals are loving retarded about nuclear power, nuclear power itself has NIMBY baggage no matter where it is, and california is the NIMBY capital of the world.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it is literally because: SoCal Edison ignored warnings that the steam turbines they were installing had some issue and they said lol gently caress that and installed them anyway. Then a year later the steam turbines had an issue and they decided it would just be easier to permanently decommission the plant rather than fix it

also they foisted off 70% of the decommissioning costs to local utility customers, part of that 30% price hike.

I don't think anyone I know was actually happy about it closing and the plant itself isn't anywhere near any residential or commercial area as it is in Camp Pendleton.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

in california they shut down our nuke plant at San Onofre because they were too cheap to pay for it and as a result our electricity rates went up about 30%

i'm pretty sure that it was just a scheme on the part of the utility company to bilk people out of more money

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Onofre_Nuclear_Generating_Station
Looks like they cheaped out on the front end and bought mitsubishi (shitsubishi) steam generators. Then the damage was so extensive it was cost-prohibitive to fix so offline it went. The whole history of the plant is hosed though:
"The firm Bechtel was ... embarrassed in 1977, when it installed a 420-ton nuclear-reactor vessel backwards"

It was 50 years old though, time to go.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hatebag posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Onofre_Nuclear_Generating_Station
Looks like they cheaped out on the front end and bought mitsubishi (shitsubishi) steam generators. Then the damage was so extensive it was cost-prohibitive to fix so offline it went. The whole history of the plant is hosed though:
"The firm Bechtel was ... embarrassed in 1977, when it installed a 420-ton nuclear-reactor vessel backwards"

It was 50 years old though, time to go.

yeah but it wouldn't have been an issue if they weren't so eager to bypass proper procedures

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/watchdog/sdut-san-onofre-anniversary-2016jan30-htmlstory.html posted:

“It took NRC one day — one day! — to discover the computer error that was at the heart of the steam generator failure,” Hirsch said. “But because Edison tried to avoid a license amendment that would have required NRC review and a potential public license amendment hearing, and didn’t disclose to NRC problems like the void coefficient concern, NRC only did that review after the steam generator failed.”

and now the utility customers get to pay for their gently caress up as if our energy rates weren't already outlandishly high

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
by the way the cost of decomissioning the plant is like $4.7 billion so like why the gently caress don't they just fix it the rat bastards (because they foisted off 70% of that to the customers lololo)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Nuke is cool and I'm for it, but we seriously gotta figure out a better solution for the waste than just burying it and hoping for the best.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

That plant was run by fuckups and had 8 million people in its contamination zone. Bad combo.
Nuclear plants are not profitable in America because there is no cheap way to deal with the waste that complies with environmental regs so they have to budget 100 years of waste storage and monitoring. Pushing an old reactor along for another 10 years would probably just mean more repairs and fines so it makes economic sense to decommission it instead. It's not a decision born of malice.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Moridin920 posted:

by the way the cost of decomissioning the plant is like $4.7 billion so like why the gently caress don't they just fix it the rat bastards (because they foisted off 70% of that to the customers lololo)

According to the wikipedia article they were looking ahead to 2022 when they would have to meet the post-Fukushima earthquake and tsunami restrictions, and they realized that it wasn't economically feasible to fix the turbines and do all the work they'd need to do to meet the new restrictions.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

FedEx Mercury posted:

Nuke is cool and I'm for it, but we seriously gotta figure out a better solution for the waste than just burying it and hoping for the best.

It should be sent to a breeder reactor and processed into plutonium for use in a mega dangerous reactor or spaceship-propelling nukes.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

the great deceiver posted:

i burn all my garbage in the backyard op. provides heat + power for free

If you're not also baking pizzas with your trashfire you are an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hatebag posted:

It should be sent to a breeder reactor and processed into plutonium for use in a mega dangerous reactor or spaceship-propelling nukes.

they should also use it to make rare isotopes, so the can power electric cars with those eternal batteries they use for deep space probes

• Locked thread