Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

a bit late but if we recall it was getup who influenced the ousting of andrew nikolic from the last election, just by running ads that highlight the coalitions policies against public health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ewe2 posted:

Climate change is real guys, but it's brown/asian people's fault. I'm wondering if this is the new narrative pivot. It's certainly a conducive argument for white Australians and their precious privilege. We'll get to your climate change but for now we have to stop the browns.

This has always been the climate change narrative here. Why should we a first world nation, do anything when the teeming brownyellow masses dont care about their environment?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

more like Dick head Smith

When you literally call your matches dickheads, you're already immune to this kind of insult.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

This has always been the climate change narrative here. Why should we a first world nation, do anything when the teeming brownyellow masses dont care about their environment?

The pivot is admitting climate change exists, BUT that nothing can be done about it because brown people. They're taking over another bad argument to support their racist righty argument. The argument that always applied was that Australia excised its environment so it doesn't apply to Australia :smuggo: In addition it makes you look centrist compared to Malcolm Roberts.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Synthbuttrange posted:

One Nation leader Pauline Hanson says she can no longer work with her Senate colleague Rod Culleton, portraying him as an egomaniac obsessed with publicity and incapable of teamwork in an extraordinary outburst on live radio.

lmaoo

it's the no egomaniacs party, they're allowed one

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Say what you like about dick smith some of the packaging in his products are hilarious.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

Senator Hanson said Senator Culleton was intent on "running his own race".

"I've been in this for 20 years and to have a new kid on the block telling me what to do is absolutely ridiculous," she said.

20 years?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Give or take a decade and a bit, sure.

E: Maybe she means attention-whoring.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Les Affaires posted:

a bit late but if we recall it was getup who influenced the ousting of andrew nikolic from the last election, just by running ads that highlight the coalitions policies against public health.

That's what Eric Abetz attributed it to; I think him being a massive shithead helped too.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Starshark posted:

Give or take a decade and a bit, sure.

E: Maybe she means attention-whoring.

First elected in 96 so it checks out

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Byolante posted:

First elected in 96 so it checks out

And elected again in what years?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

TheMightyHandful posted:

18C defendant TOTALLY not racist

A Facebook account using the name “Calum Thwaites” and also bearing the image of the student at the centre of a national racial discrimination controversy has been used to post a comment in a secret anti-Aboriginal Facebook group, suggesting someone use the word “niggers”.

Phoneposting, so won't c&p the lot

Also the """quote""" is the same as (((bracket))) and it's supposed to denote a jew lmao

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And elected again in what years?

20 years later

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

So if you count from when she first entered public service and keep counting after she left, became a joke, disappeared, renounced australia and moved to england, snuck back in, reappeared as a has been celebrity on reality tv and finally got elected again, shes been doing it for 20 years. Impressive

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

So if you count from when she first entered public service and keep counting after she left, became a joke, disappeared, renounced australia and moved to england, snuck back in, reappeared as a has been celebrity on reality tv and finally got elected again, shes been doing it for 20 years. Impressive

And in parliament for about 2 of them

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Just think what could have been :(

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-02-15/goodbye-forever-as-hanson-moves-to-uk/331628

efb

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

And in parliament for about 2 of them

Days, you mean? I forget who Barnaby Joyce was back in the 90's but he loved to give Hanson poo poo for not being present in the House of Reps. She brushed it off by saying she had to represent her community, not the politicians. How she does that when she never votes on anything, I cannot say.

E: Tim Fischer.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

TheMightyHandful posted:

That's what Eric Abetz attributed it to; I think him being a massive shithead helped too.

Well yeah, but it's one thing to be a massive shithead but it's another to have an organisation spend hundreds of thousands of dollars informing his constituents of just how much of a shithead he is.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Recoome posted:

Also the """quote""" is the same as (((bracket))) and it's supposed to denote a jew lmao

THE COMMENTS are a shining beacon of democracy for our Queensland friends in the North fighting against the apartheid of assaults on freedom of speech by """""journalists"""""

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I mean the joke is off colour and quite dark but in the event it even is his facebook account which is up for debate its pretty clearly some rando clickbaiter looking to try and ruin a young person's life for adshare revenue. The account didn't discuss the case, just said hello and made a joke about the consequences of using racially offensive language in a private setting without actually saying anything racist.

So out of the claims made in the article they claimed but didn't substatiate:

Its the same account
Its actually the student saying it
The private group is anti-aboriginal (It might be, I have no clue. The use of """ suggests its certainly alt-right and anti-semetic)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

from the same article posted:

After Butler questioned whether he had actually written the Facebook post during an appearance on Q&A, Thwaites sued her for defamation claiming her statements suggested he is a liar, racist and a perjurer. He has rejected an apology from her.
Among the messages the MP read out to parliament last week from the secret Facebook group was a comment suggesting someone should use the term “niggers”, which appeared under an account using Thwaites’ name and also bearing an image of him.

The poor QUT staffer is left with a massive legal bill from this whole saga and the ongoing Butler case is going to be a drain on union funds most likely. Meanwhile everyone is witch hunting some 23 year old from Queensland. The whole saga is a disgrace but lining up to try and attack the student is a hilariously poor decision when he was also a victim in this idiocy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, so "may have exploited parliamentary privileged to possibly influence an ongoing legal case" is bullshit then.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, so "may have exploited parliamentary privileged to possibly influence an ongoing legal case" is bullshit then.

If you make a potentially slanderous claim, somebody sues you for defamation, then you go into a public space where you can reach the public and make the same claims using the law to protect you, I would call that allegedly abusing parlimentary privilege to influence the direction of a case.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
E: gently caress it, I'm angry for stupid reasons.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 6, 2016

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I'm glad that Amanda Vanston's impression of the poor and downtrodden of society having no voice carried so well over into her political career.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol at the idea of your life being ruined by being a known racist from QUT, if anything it helps your resume for LNP preselection.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Byolante posted:

I mean the joke is off colour and quite dark but in the event it even is his facebook account which is up for debate its pretty clearly some rando clickbaiter looking to try and ruin a young person's life for adshare revenue. The account didn't discuss the case, just said hello and made a joke about the consequences of using racially offensive language in a private setting without actually saying anything racist.

So out of the claims made in the article they claimed but didn't substatiate:

Its the same account
Its actually the student saying it
The private group is anti-aboriginal (It might be, I have no clue. The use of """ suggests its certainly alt-right and anti-semetic)

The poor QUT staffer is left with a massive legal bill from this whole saga and the ongoing Butler case is going to be a drain on union funds most likely. Meanwhile everyone is witch hunting some 23 year old from Queensland. The whole saga is a disgrace but lining up to try and attack the student is a hilariously poor decision when he was also a victim in this idiocy.

Facebook goes really hard after trans and native Americans using 'fake' names, if you think it's a fake account report it and they'll need a driver's licence to prove it's them.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Facebook goes really hard after trans and native Americans using 'fake' names, if you think it's a fake account report it and they'll need a driver's licence to prove it's them.

They don't look that hard- a lovely photoshop will likely get approved- I think it is farmed out to bots or more likely someone very underpaid in India or the Phillipines

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

TheMightyHandful posted:

They don't look that hard- a lovely photoshop will likely get approved- I think it is farmed out to bots or more likely someone very underpaid in India or the Phillipines

Yeah I know a few people who faked ID for privacy reasons and it went off without a hitch

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Fair enough.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol at the idea of your life being ruined by being a known racist from QUT, if anything it helps your resume for LNP preselection.

Except there is no evidence he is a racist, there is evidence a court said he wasn't guilty of the offence you seem to have decided he is guilty of though. This is the core of why Butler's comment both in parliament and on Q+A are such a shitshow. She is a trained lawyer, she should know better than to accuse somebody who has already got hosed over by the government of things a Federal court has already decided on in the exact reverse of what she claims. Being unfairly labled a racist is a quite damaging thing, especially for someone hoping to have a successful career in the current climate which quite rightly doesn't tolerate racists.

Remember when Butler makes her claims that this was the general decision made by the judge

quote:

Judge Jarrett decided Prior’s claim against Thwaites differently. Thwaites had provided evidence that he could not have posted the comments Prior alleged. Despite having opportunity to do so, Prior provided no evidence contradicting Thwaite’s evidence. Hence, Judge Jarrett concluded Prior could not sustain a case against Thwaites.

I would be quite happy to entertain an argument that the other 2 who had their cases dismissed at the same time could be considered racists since they didn't contest the acts they were alleged to have committed, merely the actual standing for them to be considered breaches of 18c.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-13/terrorism-related-charges-laid-16-year-olds-sydney-bankstown/7928190

No. This is how you run a witchhunt.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Nice Costa avatar Cartoon.

I miss Peter Cundall though. He had such a great voice for presenting.

Solemn Sloth posted:

:boom:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Byolante posted:

Except there is no evidence he is a racist

lmao

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Seconded, lol.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Byolante posted:

Being unfairly labled a racist is a quite damaging thing, especially for someone hoping to have a successful career in the current climate which quite rightly doesn't tolerate racists.

[citation needed]

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

I think you forgot who the Immigration Minister is.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Lol Frydenberg's already backing down on considering an ETS after only 24 hours

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
"Pauline has got to have a pooey or get off the potty and either start supporting rural and regional Australia through this Royal Commission or things will start to fester," Culleton said on Monday,

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Vindicator posted:

I think you forgot who the Immigration Minister is.

QUT alum too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Synthbuttrange posted:

Torturing our soldiers OK in some circumstances, 21% of Australians say
Red Cross survey finds 57% believe torturing an Australian soldier for information should not be allowed, while 23% are undecided

:allears:

People are a lot cooler with the idea of torturing someone they don't like than "general society" might suspect.

Now if only we could figure out what general society was.

• Locked thread