Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Beet you're back!

Quick test of health, Star Citizen: still bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

toanoradian posted:

Beet you're back!

Quick test of health, Star Citizen: still bad?

Star Citizen....good. Star Citizen good.

e: for those curious, plywood's up, gonna help a friend get his up tomorrow. Depending on which track it follows I might be fine or I might be totally hosed. Roads pretty much impassable Northbound. So far Irma has claimed my hammer drill, my circular saw, and my jigsaw as casualties.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Pack it up everybody. Beet's been compromised.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Mr.Tophat posted:

News just in: whale refuses to leave seaworld, audience relieved

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

"Signal is weak Ghostrider! Repeat? Star Citzen is good?"

Time runs backwards in the eye of the storm.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

e: for those curious, plywood's up, gonna help a friend get his up tomorrow. Depending on which track it follows I might be fine or I might be totally hosed. Roads pretty much impassable Northbound. So far Irma has claimed my hammer drill, my circular saw, and my jigsaw as casualties.

stay safe moderator ghost

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

I need more information, maybe a leaflet?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Mr.Tophat posted:

I need more information, maybe a leaflet?

Instructions unclear, whale caught in ceiling fan

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Experimental Skin posted:

I think I heard him say 3.0 was out or 1,000 dead but it wasn't a very good connection...

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

:five:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Experimental Skin posted:

HycoCam posted:

I think I heard him say 3.0 was out or 1,000 dead but it wasn't a very good connection...

:five::five::five:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Toops posted:

Chris stayed up past midnight last night working on his ultra-immersive "person playing a video game" animation!
#gamer

That's good, because it'll blend in perfectly with the FaceRig scan of people's faces as their characters portray the "depressed person playing a video game" expression.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Combat Theory posted:

Gentlemen, Ladies and Boatsexuals, i will attempt an Effortpost.

But first, put one some fitting music to set the atmosphere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LE0KpcP05I

For MoMa,

Hello MoMa. I have to say i enjoy how you rattle the Cage once in a while in here, although your older self i liked more.

You have mentioned something a few replies back that actually triggered my senses after all.

My Moment is here finally. YES i do have skin in this game. technically just because CIGs refund department is as bad with numbers as the rest of the company, but i DO have skin in this game so here we go.

MoMa. I hate to post this under a lame Forum Name. it would be a million times more epic, if you were actually who your signature suggest you are, to post this under my actual Username and credentials, but that time is still to come.

MoMa. with all the credibility that comes with an Account for a dead gay comedy forum that i didnt even pay for... This Game is doomed. The Project is doomed on every level. I say that as a person who knows more about the Limitations of the Desings, the Implementations, the Creativity, The Numbers, The Solution finding processes and the Management of Critical Key Gameplay Components and features than almsot everyone inside or outside CIG.

I am a Backer, even if i am not emotionally anymore. And i took my role in all this very, very serious. I learned about every critical aspect of this Game from what is on my hard drive, i learned listening to the Devs, listening to their thinking Process, watching their solutions and tracking their Implementations in every patch that was ever released for Star Citizen. I learned what makes the ships fly, i learned how the networking functions. I learned how Controllers are utilized, learned what plays into the hands of certain design aproaches. It got to the point where i could overcome the Designs, the calculations and the Solutions done within Months of Back and forth at CIG in a few Hours. Granted only to what i perceive is the core gameplay experience. Not Art, not Worlds or Levels.

I learned that the People who are paid with my money to design, code and build a space sim have not the knowledge, not the cohesion, not the talent and not the guidance or management to ever, ever produce a product that could remotely satisfy my desires for a good space sim. And when you wash away all the Fluff around the Core Experience of what is Star Citizen... and what it always was set out to be... that is the only logical conclusion. I hold no grudge against CIG. They banned my friends for bad mouthing bad decisions, they wronged their customers and changed every Agreement to their favor over time. But i dont care for that. I was never interrested in being friends with people at CIG. and i wasnt dissapointed nor suprised that they enforce those business practices. i didnt pay for friendship or special treatment. i paid for a product. And all i ever did was watching - closer than almost everyone else - and learning where that product goes in every aspect of Spaceflight, Spacecombat, Multiplayer and Performance. because those are the only important ingredients to work on in any kind of Alpha of Online Space Sim.

CIG failed to provide and conserve ANYTHING significant or outstanding in this regard. and every Inch they gained in the earlier years they undid by treating the literal heart of a spacesim as a lazy afterthought - "fix it in beta" -

I have digged deep in my time. I have seen and understood how the very core of this game works. What numbers go in it, what Functions keep it together. And the core is rotten. And nobody cares enough to fix it. worse. People. Key personnel in CIG to this day defends every bad decision, every wrong calculation, every mismanagement in this regard and its result as "Gameplay that our Backers love and we must preserve"

This shows not only the ultimate disconnect. This shows the Flaw in the core of the company. CIG, with its 400+ employees doesnt have a single person who understands the needs of a good space sim. or the needs of a good multiplayer title in that regard.

Its easy to blame it all on Roberts looking how this shapes up to be a repeation of his history and im not gonna blame Developers for lacking critical knowlegde and understanding for their position and area of ressponsibility, because its not their job to make sure they fulfill those requirements. But i have also not seen the Devs working towards imrpoving their knowledge in this regard.

Indeed whenever there was a moment of Clarity, a moment where a single guy in a place of responsiblity, came out after Weeks and Weeks or even Months of being hammered about whats wrong with the game, and asked about it in a public place, he was cared for, comforted and ignored the little bit of people who legitimately tried to present him with the core of the problem.

Go to Spectrum, look at the Dev comments. Look what happens to critical thinking.

There is no Knowledge. There is no understanding of the Problems. There is no desire to improve. The community will wank this thing into the ground together with CIG and roberts at the wheel. I hate that it is so. I lost years of my online Life to this. But thats the reality.

If it takes a Backer with Skin in this game to tell you so be it. i dont have 8000+ on my account. But im a Backer.

This Game is a death march. its sickened by literally every design fallacy possible at this point and it will continue to be.

I dont care personally if you wanna go down with the ship.

But dont go at the end and tell me "no one could have seen it coming"

Quoting this because it's good. :)

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

ManofManyAliases posted:

I am a perfectly normal and sane individual who purchased 8k worth of digital media, sold off half to friends, and retained approx 3k of original investment so that I can have fun in the future, in spite of everything I've read or said in this thread for more than a year.

BTW, did the ELE happen yet? I'm getting anxious.

Shoulda' dumped that all into bitcoin, tbh.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm not trolling anybody. I'm here to offer a differing opinion than one of group think over a person legitimately trying to make a game of his dreams. You guys libelously pile on, making up poo poo about Roberts being a used car salesman, getting a divorce, or leading people on in a fraudulent venture that anyone offering said dissent is driven down to talk about his/her recipes or digital ship ownership. This is the reason I've gone from talking less about CR's legal rights to do what he does, accounting for a crowd funded project, etc. to just toiling about as a goon on a forum about gay poo poo. So now I just go about my daily job, pop in ever so often and ask if the ELE happened (it appears as though it hasn't even though an ELE is a sudden and mass event and it was "called" a year ago).

Oh, we have 'only pretending to be retarded'-moma back.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

ManofManyAliases posted:

This was the most reasonable and poignant response in many pages of this thread, which is why I chose to respond to it.

I'm not getting a refund. I'll ride this out to the end and if I lose my money, so be it. I'll be honest - I don't check-in to the project as often as some of you will believe. My primary day job and personal life take a good chunk of my time and I enjoy doing things away from the computer. That said, my initial claim of "disposable income" obviously hit some bleeding hearts in this thread direct-center (oh well). I threw money in I could afford to lose. But, the fact that you have nut jobs like Derek who, as a middle-aged man is not absolutely resolute in his being to let something like a quasi, poorly-manged project flail about to find footing without interjecting his own lovely opinions speaks volumes. He still doesn't get that he's a target of poking-fun, which is all cool and good. But no one here is going to be vindicated until we see the project through.

Taking money and literally burning it is not something you can just excuse with 'I threw money in I could afford to lose'. Neither is throwing money at this Roberts shaped fire.

Derek is crazy, you aren't somehow the only one who sees this.

You are still an idiot. We don't need to see the end of the project to see it is poo poo. Get a refund, you moron.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LE0KpcP05I

For MoMa,

Hello MoMa. I have to say i enjoy how you rattle the Cage once in a while in here, although your older self i liked more.

You have mentioned something a few replies back that actually triggered my senses after all.

My Moment is here finally. YES i do have skin in this game. technically just because CIGs refund department is as bad with numbers as the rest of the company, but i DO have skin in this game so here we go.

MoMa. I hate to post this under a lame Forum Name. it would be a million times more epic, if you were actually who your signature suggest you are, to post this under my actual Username and credentials, but that time is still to come.

MoMa. with all the credibility that comes with an Account for a dead gay comedy forum that i didnt even pay for... This Game is doomed. The Project is doomed on every level. I say that as a person who knows more about the Limitations of the Desings, the Implementations, the Creativity, The Numbers, The Solution finding processes and the Management of Critical Key Gameplay Components and features than almsot everyone inside or outside CIG.

I am a Backer, even if i am not emotionally anymore. And i took my role in all this very, very serious. I learned about every critical aspect of this Game from what is on my hard drive, i learned listening to the Devs, listening to their thinking Process, watching their solutions and tracking their Implementations in every patch that was ever released for Star Citizen. I learned what makes the ships fly, i learned how the networking functions. I learned how Controllers are utilized, learned what plays into the hands of certain design aproaches. It got to the point where i could overcome the Designs, the calculations and the Solutions done within Months of Back and forth at CIG in a few Hours. Granted only to what i perceive is the core gameplay experience. Not Art, not Worlds or Levels.

I learned that the People who are paid with my money to design, code and build a space sim have not the knowledge, not the cohesion, not the talent and not the guidance or management to ever, ever produce a product that could remotely satisfy my desires for a good space sim. And when you wash away all the Fluff around the Core Experience of what is Star Citizen... and what it always was set out to be... that is the only logical conclusion. I hold no grudge against CIG. They banned my friends for bad mouthing bad decisions, they wronged their customers and changed every Agreement to their favor over time. But i dont care for that. I was never interrested in being friends with people at CIG. and i wasnt dissapointed nor suprised that they enforce those business practices. i didnt pay for friendship or special treatment. i paid for a product. And all i ever did was watching - closer than almost everyone else - and learning where that product goes in every aspect of Spaceflight, Spacecombat, Multiplayer and Performance. because those are the only important ingredients to work on in any kind of Alpha of Online Space Sim.

CIG failed to provide and conserve ANYTHING significant or outstanding in this regard. and every Inch they gained in the earlier years they undid by treating the literal heart of a spacesim as a lazy afterthought - "fix it in beta" -

I have digged deep in my time. I have seen and understood how the very core of this game works. What numbers go in it, what Functions keep it together. And the core is rotten. And nobody cares enough to fix it. worse. People. Key personnel in CIG to this day defends every bad decision, every wrong calculation, every mismanagement in this regard and its result as "Gameplay that our Backers love and we must preserve"

This shows not only the ultimate disconnect. This shows the Flaw in the core of the company. CIG, with its 400+ employees doesnt have a single person who understands the needs of a good space sim. or the needs of a good multiplayer title in that regard.

Its easy to blame it all on Roberts looking how this shapes up to be a repeation of his history and im not gonna blame Developers for lacking critical knowlegde and understanding for their position and area of ressponsibility, because its not their job to make sure they fulfill those requirements. But i have also not seen the Devs working towards imrpoving their knowledge in this regard.

Indeed whenever there was a moment of Clarity, a moment where a single guy in a place of responsiblity, came out after Weeks and Weeks or even Months of being hammered about whats wrong with the game, and asked about it in a public place, he was cared for, comforted and ignored the little bit of people who legitimately tried to present him with the core of the problem.

Go to Spectrum, look at the Dev comments. Look what happens to critical thinking.

There is no Knowledge. There is no understanding of the Problems. There is no desire to improve. The community will wank this thing into the ground together with CIG and roberts at the wheel. I hate that it is so. I lost years of my online Life to this. But thats the reality.

If it takes a Backer with Skin in this game to tell you so be it. i dont have 8000+ on my account. But im a Backer.

This Game is a death march. its sickened by literally every design fallacy possible at this point and it will continue to be.

I dont care personally if you wanna go down with the ship.

But dont go at the end and tell me "no one could have seen it coming"

You just don't understand game development.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:thunk:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

When is the newest Gardiner flick supposed to release

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdS8q2_d76o&t=522s

quote:

this week we've made some important decisions about what we'd like our first round of non-CIG testers to evaluate and provide feedback on polishing and fixing. We're really going through this release with a fine-tooth comb making sure all the new features and tech work harmoniously together

lol I sure hope the evocati like an empty cry-engine map with some space bikes cause it sounds like that will be the only thing under the christmas tree this year.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

EightAce posted:

Whatever happened to batgirl ?

She seems to have cut back on her Star Citizen output, though she did recently stream that conference event Lando and Haddock attended.

She's probably circling in a holding pattern, waiting for 3.0 before she puts too much more work in.

Sappo569 posted:

When is the newest Gardiner flick supposed to release

American Satan hits theaters possibly near you October 13th. Hence the need to push CitizenCon back to the end of October for a change...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 8, 2017

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Drunk Theory posted:

Edit: I have no idea who made this one.

I did! :D

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

G0RF posted:

She seems to have cut back on her Star Citizen output, though she did recently stream that conference event Lando and Haddock attended.

She's probably circling in a holding pattern, waiting for 3.0 before she puts too much more work in.

Maybe the shill checks have been getting lighter in the past year

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

:words:

:words:

:same:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Hey MOMA, if you don't give a poo poo about your 3k remaining, could you refund your ships and send that cash my way? I can think of a few things I would do with the money.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
And don't give me any bullshit speech about why you can't or won't, as you literally don't care. Its money youre prepared to throw away and never regret it, so why not send it my way?

I promise to buy a Steyr Scout with it and treat it well. poo poo, I'll even record myself playing with it, something you are incapable of doing with your precious "investment"

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

COMMANDO
THERE BE WHALES HERE

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
And lol at being a mongaloid, criticizing Derek over his constant lackluster predictions and boasts simply to follow down the same path.

Oh, but I guess youre just too busy all the time to play the 3000$ game you own.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

That was an epic edit. You win this round Thoatse

:argh:

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
what the hell is going on with the editing here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdS8q2_d76o&t=1860s

A Neurotic Corncob fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 8, 2017

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

They had to cut around all the aspberger's

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?

drat he left?

Has anyone told Ben that hes not on the payroll anymore?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haha at the idea discolando has a "job"

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Sillybones posted:

Taking money and literally burning it is not something you can just excuse with 'I threw money in I could afford to lose'. Neither is throwing money at this Roberts shaped fire.

Derek is crazy, you aren't somehow the only one who sees this.

You are still an idiot. We don't need to see the end of the project to see it is poo poo. Get a refund, you moron.

The only reason moma haven't refunded is because he still believes there is chance of the game happening.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

What's with his nose? It looks like he was born without a nose and they built him a new one. Is that a thing?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Finally found the perfect gif for Star Citizen:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

If they do that anymore they'll prolly need an epilepsy warning before the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Sandweed posted:

The only reason moma haven't refunded is because he still believes there is chance of the game happening.

I think it's a little more complicated than that. I'm sure he knows the game is doomed and has known it for some time. But getting a refund for all his money would be admitting he was an idiot from the very start. However, by keeping a sizable chunk of change in the project and by labeling it as "disposable income" he can now nonchalantly write it off as an acceptable loss in pursuit of the BDSSE. All criticisms can be handwaved away because if he never acknowledges that SC was impossible to make, he can still make weak arguments that it was possible and that he was not an idiot for believing. All it will cost him to save face on a dead comedy forum is to set 3k on fire in front of everyone.