Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Interesting.

Putting being tied to Cryengine aside, is this the line CIG is likely to take?

That they switched to Lumberyard prior to SQ42 being split off, therefore (on the licensing count at least) not guilty?

From memory the SQ42 split off happened around Feb 2016.

Here, in Dec 2016 around Lumberyard switch time, Crobblers does mention they stopped taking CryEngine builds end of 2015 : https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/364217/lumberyard-for-those-interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
no see that was for Star Citizen and what we are making now is Car Stitizen

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

TheAgent posted:

they actually have the entire turkish government bankrolling them now

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/55627/crytek-receive-500m-investment-turkish-gov/index.html

so yeah, no, crytek isn't hurting for money.

at all

Why did Chris Roberts lose the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I am a sad mouth breather.

gwildar
Oct 14, 2016
Star Citizen was Squadron 42
Now it's Star Citizen, not Squadron 42
Been a long time gone, Oh Squadron 42

Mr.Tophat posted:

Why did Chris Roberts lose the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

*clears throat*
*becomes a lemon*

ONE MILLION YEARS SPACE COURT

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Crytek more like crytek hahahaha

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qGyQdQKg6Q

Star Citizen is ... good?

:psyduck:

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

so i figured it was time i did some sort of effortpost given that i've been following this shitshow on and off since it started. this is less a post for true FUD-sippers, and more one as a response to all the people who have said 'well yeah its a scam now, but you guys have been calling it a scam for years, even when it was a legit game'.

This is how we knew it was a scam from very early on

So picture this. You know a guy, he's an architect. He's built pretty decent buildings in the past. He tells you that now he's going to build a mile tall tower. 'Ok', you think, 'I wanna see that. It's going to take some clever engineering to pull that off'.

At this point he's promising something that sounds difficult, but still within the bounds of what reality might permit. People are getting close to mile tall buildings, the limiting factors are mainly the cash cost and needing the right site to build it on.

Then the details start to leak out. How he's planning to make this building. 'It's going to be made of bricks and mortar,' he says, 'With a floor plan of 10 feet by 10 feet.'

At this point the jig is up. That's not happening. A mile tall building is possible, but not like that it isn't. But people who don't understand how buildings work at all are still suckered in by it.

That's what happened with star citizen. It seems like the average (non-paid) true believer is weirdly ignorant of how games work. I've seen a ton of posts from shitizens about how 'I've not played a game since ninteen-dickety, but I'm coming back for star citizen and I've bet the farm on it.'. If these people had kept up with games technology at all they would have smelled a scam from a mile away.

Now I'm not a game dev, but I've played a shitload of games, and modded a shitload of games. You come, over time, to see how things work, see where the shortcuts are to make it all work. You get to understand the tradeoff games have to make to deliver their core gameplay at reasonable performance. You also gain familiarity with the strengths of the major engines, as these days there just aren't that many.

But Chris Roberts comes out and says 'No shortcuts! Vast scope! Sim level physics! Hundreds of concurrent players! Fast paced FPS style combat! Top notch graphics! Cryengine!'

Which sounds great, but is OBVIOUSLY NOT GOING TO WORK. If someone tries to sell you a truck and says it handles like a sports car and gets the mileage of a subcompact, you know it's a loving lie. But because so many people know so little about game development, and have been tricked by a guy who has presented himself as Space Game King Arthur, returned in gaming's time of need, they give him money. Lots of money.

So two things happen when a game has over-promised:

A) the scope of the game is drastically cut back to something plausible and people are disappointed.
B) development staggers along pursuing an impossible dream until it runs out of cash and burns out.

When Star Citizen was relatively new I figured that A would happen. The dumb poo poo would get cut, the shortcuts would be put in to allow the game to work, dumbasses would be disappointed, but we might get a space game out of it. And I do actually love space games. The whole reason I bought E:D was because a friend linked me to star citizen and it gave me a hankering to fly around in a ship. I would like star citizen to be a real game and have all the stuff its promised. That would be great.

But what really killed Star Citizen for me was the fact that they cut off path A to themselves. They started selling expanded scope as pledges and poo poo. Stretch goals are one thing, they can get cut or delayed, but when you've 1:1 said 'Pledge here to get a fucken electronic warfare ship' you've honor bound yourself to implement electronic warfare. Add to that the extremely predatory pricing of all that poo poo and it became clear that this was more than just an over-scoped, over-ambitious project.

It was, and is, a bare-faced scam.

This is a good post.

What really killed Star Citizen was Christ Roberts who lacked the project management skills needed to make it happen.

Krakenwagen
Oct 31, 2015

Michael? Is that you?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzQqmPeTga8

Star citizen so good

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

TheAgent posted:

so I guess you gotta hold F now to do anything in your ship, but holding F is also the default "get out of your chair" keybind

lol

better than having free look be ALT and 3rd person be F4 I guess

This reminds me of my very beginnings with computer games on a C64. From time to time, my brother would get a box of floppy disks with pirated games. Usually, we would load the game, and then simply smash both hands flat on the keyboard to find the keys that are actually used to control the game, as back then, every game did it's own thing (3000ad style :D). I guess this procedure might be needed with Star Citizen ;)

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Whatever happened to Humility, the backer who was literally putting his farm on the line because he kept putting money into SC to feel special?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

CrazyTolradi posted:

Whatever happened to Humility, the backer who was literally putting his farm on the line because he kept putting money into SC to feel special?

Farmers apparently have the highest suicide rate per capita in the US.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kosumo posted:

No, you are wrong, at no stage was Star Citizen cool.

The very start of the project was Chris Roberts pitch video.

Are you saying that you thought what Chris was saying was cool?

It was failed games developer Chris Roberts from the very start of this - and many people here bought into his bullshit.

It is those people who are to blame for this even thought many of them are now the hardest critics. (Derek backed this to the turn of like 5 AAA games .... all while it was just an Chris Roberts brain fart)

For those who say "anyone who back this after XXX" are fooling themselves; if you have ever back this, you are somewhat to blame.

That is the truth that get forgotten around here.

It was Chris "I was failing at gaming so left to try Hollywood, which I got blacklisted from, so I'm now back to make the best game ever, but no publisher will have anything to do with me, after not releasing a product for over a decade" Roberts from the very start.

That's a simplistic view.

Star Citizen, despite the early criticism, was "cool" to people who didn't obsessively follow Clown Robbers' previous ventures. Those who were ready to bet 50 to 150 bucks (the latter on par with "game + lots of extras for fans" tiers of other videogame Kickstarters like Project Eternity at the time) on getting a new Wing Commander, Freelancer or some form of EVE with first person dogfighting, they knew or should have known that with crowd funding you risked losing your money while getting nothing (or not what you paid for).

That was okay, not every dollar has to be spent on realistic projects and objectively useful things and not many companies were actually making games in space. Roberts had lofty goals and every time he tried to explain technical details you knew he was talking out of his rear end, but he was surrounded by some talented people in Austin and was supported by Crytek and if anything, he didn't have endless resources for once so he'd probably have to cut some of the grand but unrealistic ideas anyway.

It's debatable when that period of SC being a somewhat reasonable risk ended and the insanity began, but I'd put it around the time they reached 20 million, the full amount required to finish the Thumb's vision without outside investors, and kept tacking on more features and concept ships on a weekly basis.

As I followed the project loosely during its first year I was bewildered how people kept buying overpriced concept art when no gameplay existed, for an MMO part that might never be released as planned, but you could still sorta, kinda hope for Freelancer 2014. I think even Clownshoes Incompetent Games was surprised how many mentally ill people they had managed to tap, who continued to throw money at the project well after they reached "full funding".

When people started buying "fleets" for themselves and friends (even in SA threads) and the project leads moved to Hollywood, the project was well on its way to Crazytown.

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 19, 2017

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

biglads posted:

I would say they are abandoning ship, but as they only have pictures of ships they can't really.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
http://massivelyop.com/2017/12/15/massively-ops-best-of-2017-awards-worst-business-model/

haha

EightAce fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 19, 2017

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

AHA! We run our amazing HIDDEN ARCHIVE that guarantees Duruk Shart's comments are preserved where NOBODY will ever be able to find them! Checkmate goonies!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

orcane posted:

That's a simplistic view.

Star Citizen, despite the early criticism, was "cool" to people who didn't obsessively follow Clown Robbers' previous ventures. Those who were ready to bet 50 to 150 bucks (the latter on par with "game + lots of extras for fans" tiers of other videogame Kickstarters like Project Eternity at the time) on getting a new Wing Commander, Freelancer or some form of EVE with first person dogfighting, they knew or should have known that with crowd funding you risked losing your money while getting nothing (or not what you paid for).

This was me, but if I had known the full freelancer story back then I'd have only backed for the $30 entry price. I never really cared about what shop did what game, and had no idea who CR even was until a bunch of freelancer fans stirred up dust over some cool new project from the supposed makers of freelancer (which I liked and played a lot back in the day).

Thankfully I at least got the refund in time.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Phi230 posted:

One thing I noticed in the vid is that:

A. the performance sucks

B. he tries to land his cargo ship and get out by going on a little cargo platform but the game stutters and his positioning stutters and he can't move whilst the cargo platform is moving

it's like garrysmod when you are walking on a moving object

and then he can't even trade the cargo because the game doesn't recognize that there's even a cargo ship landed

Sorry but it sounds like you just don’t know anything about game development. It’s alpha. Everything is supposed to be completely broken, ill-conceived, and rotten through to the very core during alpha. At some point things will slowly go from bad, to worse, to worst, and then suddenly become great. That’s how game development works.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Due to the fact that I’ve quite literally broken my wrist, my posts from now on will be late and unfinis

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

no_recall posted:

One last one before the year ends.

Someone call how much the Christmas / ELE / Couttes Interest Repayment / Crytek Lawsuit / Year End - Sale Livestream Extravaganza is going to reap!

All guesses / prizes / donations will be taken in before Thursday.

A bunch of you don't have PM enabled so I still have a bunch of unclaimed keys, lets do this!

Buy a Starship!

$900,000

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

CrazyTolradi posted:

I don't think that was humility,it was a different (still totally tragic) guy.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SelenicMartian posted:

Due to the fact that I’ve quite literally broken my wrist, my posts from now on will be late and unfinis

How did you break it

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
The 'organized resistance' thing...

In this guy's mind, every critic of star citizen is part of an organized campaign of hate.

Would he believe that we're all just getting a chuckle out of this mess?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I don't think that was humility,it was a different (still totally tragic) guy.
Might have been, Humility had some...interesting posts, are those screenshots still around?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Humility didn't have a farm, he was an anhedonic seal that am been hollow, like death all his life.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BluesShaman posted:

The 'organized resistance' thing...

In this guy's mind, every critic of star citizen is part of an organized campaign of hate.

Would he believe that we're all just getting a chuckle out of this mess?

I am getting mad stacks of Benjamins for all my FUD efforts. I can hook you up with the D-man if you want to join the party.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

The funny thing is most of the people saying they voted for something other than star citizen are saying the only reason they didn't vote for SC was because they don't think you can call something a mmo business model if there isn't an mmo yet.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

CrazyTolradi posted:

Might have been, Humility had some...interesting posts, are those screenshots still around?

I don't have any unfortunately but looking through my grand treasure trove of assorted old screencaps gifs and art i found this,just thought it was interesting...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

trucutru posted:

I am getting mad stacks of Benjamins for all my FUD efforts. I can hook you up with the D-man if you want to join the party.

hmu bro

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Some more tidbits from Cigmas past.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Done! Expect a PM by the archbishop soon.

You must have a platinum account to read this message

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

trucutru posted:

D-Man you say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK8ednS0skQ

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Truga posted:

This was me, but if I had known the full freelancer story back then I'd have only backed for the $30 entry price. I never really cared about what shop did what game, and had no idea who CR even was until a bunch of freelancer fans stirred up dust over some cool new project from the supposed makers of freelancer (which I liked and played a lot back in the day).

Thankfully I at least got the refund in time.

I knew everything about Chris Roberts, Freelancer, his old games etc. I backed for 65$ back in early 2014, thinking that in the end I might get a serviceable space game out of this (been playing said games since Elite/Epic on the Amiga).

I got much, much more.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:laffo::laffo:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

UNCUT PHILISTINE posted:

Derek is a lot more eloquent than I expected

I expected one long poo poo-eating grin and dismissive hand-waving

Well thank you. All those years of IBM, Novell, Compaq et al sending me on events to learn how to speak publicly, conduct interviews etc, though we all just went to look for chicks, paid off over the years. I used to speak quite a bit at various industry events. Then the kids took over the circuits. :grin:

----------------

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

XK posted:

I wonder what the Mad Dog McCree team is up to.

Mad Dog McCree VR hopefully.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

These guys are a special kind of stupid.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/943093164994453506

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

D_Smart posted:

Well thank you. All those years of IBM, Novell, Compaq et al sending me on events to learn how to speak publicly, conduct interviews etc, though we all just went to look for chicks, paid off over the years. I used to speak quite a bit at various industry events. Then the kids took over the circuits. :grin:

Is there an archived/recorded copy of this interview that isn't on Farcebook?