Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Beet Wagon posted:

Any ideas for a memorial thread title that isn't going to come off as wildly insensitive? Cause I don't know how to do anything other than "Rest in peace, Jeffrey" without it turning into a joke.

How about Cancer is worse than Star Citizen?
Sad stuff ahead, skip if you hate cancer stories.
Which is basically just the truth. My dad died of a similar case of cancer. Just without having a relapse. It was just detected way to late. And the option was a high risk operation and chemo or living with palliative care. He choose the later and tried to prepare my Mom for the time without him.
As far as the progress of cancer, he got "lucky" he could live for almost 6 months with no heavy ill effects. Just the last 2 weeks were pretty bad. But at least he could stay at home until the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Golli posted:

I think a thread title just seems a little ghoulish. He seemed like a nice guy and cancer sucks (lost my dad) but the thread title is usually a joke, and it's not like he was part of the goon community, and it might attract unwanted attention for his real family, who can memorialize him the way he wanted.
Yeah, lets just press f and move on. Considering the mostly frivolous nature of the thread, anything else would be a bit crass.

Although if I die before this is over, I give you permission to change the thread title to "tooterfish didn't live to see Star Citizen, and neither will you".

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

nnnotime posted:

Yeah, I think the nag page has a "Not Now" on the login part. Then it should get you back to the video page. I was able to watch the video without logging in that way.

EDIT: Are you talking about this recent stream with Dr. Smart?

https://www.facebook.com/GameTalkLive/videos/2079980148897050/?notif_id=1513629020719361&notif_t=live_video_schedule_broadcaster

When the nag pop-up appears asking to login, there should be a "Not Now" text at the bottom. If you click on that the login-request goes away.

That works, thanks.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Tank Boy Ken posted:

How about Cancer is worse than Star Citizen?
Sad stuff ahead, skip if you hate cancer stories.
Which is basically just the truth. My dad died of a similar case of cancer. Just without having a relapse. It was just detected way to late. And the option was a high risk operation and chemo or living with palliative care. He choose the later and tried to prepare my Mom for the time without him.
As far as the progress of cancer, he got "lucky" he could live for almost 6 months with no heavy ill effects. Just the last 2 weeks were pretty bad. But at least he could stay at home until the end.

I am really sorry for your loss. I have a friend who has been fighting cancer 5 times now and the doctors have removed so much of her, that when it came back again this year, there is nothing left to operate on. Chemo is not an option and she is back in the hospital again. Trying to get her home for Christmas but we all know what is going to happen. It's hard.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/916352961793716225
https://twitter.com/thelieisacake/status/916378911486861312
https://twitter.com/SC_Logicorp/status/942888976389754880
https://twitter.com/SC_Logicorp/status/943005735457378304

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
rip Jefferey

that really sucks :smith:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

tooterfish posted:

Yeah, lets just press f and move on.

:same: I think we're gonna skip the memorial thread title and also I'm saving this as a thread title for when CIG finally folds.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

This encapsulates Star Citizen for me in a way I doubt the OP could ever understand or recognize. It's got everything:

• The pointless joke run into the ground as the only bit of content
  • The huge, empty, ill-advised planet
  • The wonky physics, with the Big Benny's machine jittering all over the place
  • The hilariously overwrought mocap of the guy doing his dumb victory dance
  • The inability of commandos to affect change on anything (look at his feet in relation to the vending machine)

It's all just so perfect.

How did that vending machine get bent? It's not straight, it's an arc pattern.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

:same: I think we're gonna skip the memorial thread title and also I'm saving this as a thread title for when CIG finally folds.

Fair enough, We should save it for jokes.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
yeah, I can't think of a worse thing than being remembered in the star citizen thread title

let's not summon the poor mans angry ghost by mentioning him in the title, no matter how nice it might seem

he was a cool guy and I'm glad he got a lot of support from people inside this thread

if you wanted to, change the thread title to "donate to cancer research" or something and post some people donating in his name

like so!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

TheAgent posted:

they actually have the entire turkish government bankrolling them now

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/55627/crytek-receive-500m-investment-turkish-gov/index.html

so yeah, no, crytek isn't hurting for money.

at all

Great, now the Turks are directly responsible for the failure of the best game ever made.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

DapperDon posted:

I am really sorry for your loss. I have a friend who has been fighting cancer 5 times now and the doctors have removed so much of her, that when it came back again this year, there is nothing left to operate on. Chemo is not an option and she is back in the hospital again. Trying to get her home for Christmas but we all know what is going to happen. It's hard.

Thanks.
If it hurts, it means you really like/love the persons you loose /are going to loose. He died a year ago, and the long time between diagnosis and his death gladly gave us the time to say farewell more than once and talk about stuff that sometimes just stays unspoken.
One of the hardest parts was when he went through his tools and sorted them by what my Mom would need and would make no sense for her. And gave it to me with the words "I won't need that anymore." Every time he said that, it just drove home what would eventually happen.

It might sound weird: I guess on the upside having seen him deal with his coming death this way, certainly did have an impact on me. And I've become a better person for it (I'm at a lack for proper words, since English isn't my main tongue).

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Jason Sextro posted:

How did that vending machine get bent? It's not straight, it's an arc pattern.

That might be due to normal FPS "camera" distortion.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Jeffrey McArthur passed away on Friday in Exton PA, aged 61.

An avid gamer and geek through and through, Jeffrey was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer in December 2015 and came to our attention early in 2016 when he made a video asking if he "was too stupid to play Star Citizen", which resulted in him facing abuse from some of the more toxic members of the SC fanbase.

After undergoing surgery and chemotherapy, a CT scan in July 2016 showed his cancer to be gone, and he continued working and making many videos on his hobbies, gaming, computers, and Dungeons & Dragons.

In August this year, another CT scan showed his colon cancer had returned and spread, eventually metastasizing to his stomach. With a prognosis of only a 50% chance of surviving to the end of the year, Jeffrey decided not to undergo chemotherapy again, chosing to enjoy what time he had left to live without suffering the side effects that chemo had on his senses.

Jeffrey faced his death with immense grace and dignity, and I am very grateful to him for sharing his story with us along the way.

Rest in peace, Jeffrey.

Jeffrey's tribute to his late wife Jeannine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VmFNM97DRs

Jeffrey's video about the cancer returning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBhQe_qSavI

Jeffrey's last video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYWQ86QQ-0Q

He was a good dude and this saddens me. Rip Jeffrey.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

yeah, I can't think of a worse thing than being remembered in the star citizen thread title

let's not summon the poor mans angry ghost by mentioning him in the title, no matter how nice it might seem

he was a cool guy and I'm glad he got a lot of support from people inside this thread

if you wanted to, change the thread title to "donate to cancer research" or something and post some people donating in his name

like so!

You're a class act, Agent.

If folks feel like honoring Jeffrey, this is a better way to do it than any dumb thread title we could come up with. With that said, I'll get back to shitposting about space games now.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Thanks.
If it hurts, it means you really like/love the persons you loose /are going to loose. He died a year ago, and the long time between diagnosis and his death gladly gave us the time to say farewell more than once and talk about stuff that sometimes just stays unspoken.
One of the hardest parts was when he went through his tools and sorted them by what my Mom would need and would make no sense for her. And gave it to me with the words "I won't need that anymore." Every time he said that, it just drove home what would eventually happen.

It might sound weird: I guess on the upside having seen him deal with his coming death this way, certainly did have an impact on me. And I've become a better person for it (I'm at a lack for proper words, since English isn't my main tongue).

No, it doesn't sound strange at all. It sounds like your father was a real man of character and integrity. All of us can only hope to be so brave when faced with our own mortality. Cherish those tools and I hope they fix every task you set out with them.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FailureToReport posted:

Yeah....my bad, I let Colleen know the day before that I was late getting back to her about doing it because I was at the Vet ER all night because my cat has a broken leg, and then my scheduled appointment yesterday to get it's leg set and decide if they were going to have to do surgery on it ran over two hours...

I guess I should have told the Vet I needed to bail because I had to go talk about a spaceship game.

I tried to give Colleen as much heads up as I could once I realized they were going to have me sitting there even longer.

I mean, I could have rolled the dice and said "Yeah I'll try to be back by then" and then they would have been sitting there waiting around or actually scrambling.

Yeah no worries. But you do realize that talking about space ship games these is a matter of life or death, right?

So anyway, did you listen to the stream? What did you think, and what did you would have added to it?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 19, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Yeah, of course it's 20-30 fps. If you're wanking all by yourself. :grin:

----------------

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

Yeah no worries. But you do realize that talking about space ship games these is a matter or death, right?

So anyway, did you listen to the stream? What did you think, and what did you would have added to it?

*ahem*

Go gently caress yourself!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

FailureToReport posted:

Yeah....my bad, I let Colleen know the day before that I was late getting back to her about doing it because I was at the Vet ER all night because my cat has a broken leg, and then my scheduled appointment yesterday to get it's leg set and decide if they were going to have to do surgery on it ran over two hours...

Sorry to hear about your cat,that's awful,hope it heals real soon.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/942912493965385728
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/942970854882738176

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training
You guys did a good enough job, and since no one wanted to come on to defend the game I don't know how much of a difference it would have made for me to be there or not. While I would have loved to add my 2 cents on a few of the questions, there were a few points in that interview that I was surprised to see you guys either holding back or trying to give CIG the benefit of the doubt.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rest in peace Jeffrey McArthur, you were a pretty drat cool dude.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Sorry to hear about your cat,that's awful,hope it heals real soon.

Yeah it's a really lovely situation. First they told us her "ankle" was just dislocated and it shouldn't be a huge deal. Then they told us that it was broken. Then they told us they were going to X-Ray it again, set it, and X-Ray it again, give her pain meds and then send the information over to our actual vet so we could get her taken care of yesterday.

I get to the vet appointment thinking 'okay this is going to be a quick consult and we will be on our way.', then they vet tells us her leg wasn't set and she has a fracture which will require surgery. So we paid $500~ for the ER clinic to take X-Rays and put a splint on her leg. Solid.

Now the surgery is looking to be around $1800 to fix her leg, and even after that they are saying she might not fully recover. Super good times. At least she's taking it like a trooper, she has been playing and cuddling the entire time like nothing is wrong, and now she has Kitty Morphine ontop of it, so she's doing pretty well. Although the girlfriend and I traded some "what the gently caress" glances when the ER Vet dry rodded her kitty butt with a thermometer, like jesus lady have you never done anal?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I fear the inability of backers to understand the basics of Tall Poppy Syndrome.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

FailureToReport posted:

Yeah it's a really lovely situation. First they told us her "ankle" was just dislocated and it shouldn't be a huge deal. Then they told us that it was broken. Then they told us they were going to X-Ray it again, set it, and X-Ray it again, give her pain meds and then send the information over to our actual vet so we could get her taken care of yesterday.

I get to the vet appointment thinking 'okay this is going to be a quick consult and we will be on our way.', then they vet tells us her leg wasn't set and she has a fracture which will require surgery. So we paid $500~ for the ER clinic to take X-Rays and put a splint on her leg. Solid.

Now the surgery is looking to be around $1800 to fix her leg, and even after that they are saying she might not fully recover. Super good times. At least she's taking it like a trooper, she has been playing and cuddling the entire time like nothing is wrong, and now she has Kitty Morphine ontop of it, so she's doing pretty well. Although the girlfriend and I traded some "what the gently caress" glances when the ER Vet dry rodded her kitty butt with a thermometer, like jesus lady have you never done anal?

Oh god,a few months back our cat was limping and we were dreading that he might have a broken leg,turned out he had the beginning a paw infection,the vet gave him some antibiotics and he was right as rain,still cost £100 though.
I worry myself sick about my cats lol.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

FailureToReport posted:

Please change my user name to dry rodded kitty butt please

Also sucks to hear about your furry friend they're all so harmless they don't deserve to be put through pain like humans do , because we understand it and can cope with it

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

FailureToReport posted:

You guys did a good enough job, and since no one wanted to come on to defend the game I don't know how much of a difference it would have made for me to be there or not. While I would have loved to add my 2 cents on a few of the questions, there were a few points in that interview that I was surprised to see you guys either holding back or trying to give CIG the benefit of the doubt.

If it makes you any consolation you gave an old man the opportunity to associate courage with talking about video games on the internet.

So if you were thinking of donating blood or cruising by your local food bank to see what's up to top off your good deeds meter before the year is out don't sweat it, you're solid.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FailureToReport posted:

Yikes! Sorry to hear about that. As a pet owner myself, who has had to pay for crazy high pet bills (in the thousands) - even with pet insurance - I can relate.

----------------

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

If the next page is about puppers with bone cancer diagnosed just a little too late for treatment to be certain but still a possible but extremely expensive chance to take I'm going to start a fight.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

No one asked Ortwin if he puts pineapple on his smoked salmon and caviar yet?

gently caress sake, it's important people. :(

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Man, nothing is going to prepare these broken-brained morons for what comes next.

----------------

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Man, nothing is going to prepare these broken-brained morons for what comes next.

Say this once a week at minimum for 2+ years and you too can say you called it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

big nipples big life posted:

:yeah:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
That's sad news about Jeffrey McArthur. He was a proper oldschool gamer. He handled his illness with dignity and grace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

big nipples big life posted:

To be fair, it has been true for the past two years.

Sad news about Jeffrey McArthur. Stupid cancer.