Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...

The Titanic posted:

I remember this, but I’m not sure if it was CIG directly or rampant backers coming up with ways CIG could be self sustaining after the :lol: release of Star Citizen based on the fact there was no subscription model and no way for CIG to actually keep the doors open once the jpegs could be purchased in game instead of with real money on a pay to play website.

I remember reading Reddit posters circle jerking to the thought of CIG licensing their engine to others, thus saving PC gaming for eternity. Never read/heard anything suggesting Roberts has/had this in mind.

Edit: Reddit catte:

Fangrim fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Gejnor posted:

Are we sure hes a backer and not some paid CIG shill though?

I think you're missing the core beauty of CIG's business model.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I live a mile or two away from Leonard French. I could go over there and blow some airhorns in the background of his next video on this.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

G0RF posted:

“I’m being told there is no Squadron 42 that is separate...”

You are an idiot being fed revisionist lies by anonymous deluded Zealots on a YouTube stream, French.

Don't feel too bad for him, the citizens are literally throwing money at him for confirming their biases, he's up to $15 in direct donations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I always love when a dumpster fire catches fire again into the weekend.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Golli posted:

It'll have to be Night Court so Ortwin can attend.

But this is space court. In space, it's always dark.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Leonard French isn't that bad.
He plays devils advocate with everything, hes not a SC fanboy.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Let’s let Star Citizen expert and enthusiast Erris Bowtie set the record straight on this point.

happyhippy posted:

What is grating about him is that he’s rendering judgments without knowledge of even basic and publicly available history. If it’s news to him that Squadron was for a considerable period pitched and sold as an entirely separate game, he’s pretty drat out of the loop. So why render opinions when you’re that ignorant on the facts?

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 19, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

happyhippy posted:

It appears French is defending the Maginot line of defense.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

How many good lawyers are there relying upon their professional qualifications to derive revenue from providing legal opinions to strangers on the internet?

I think there is a good reason the answer is 'none' - good lawyers make good money, and have better sense than to open themselves up to the potential liability inherent in such activity.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

quote:

Second, Defendants reiterate their argument that the GLA authorized them to
2 develop Squadron 42 as a standalone game. It did not. See supra Part II.B.2.
3 Accordingly, Defendants' development of Squadron 42 exceeded the GLA's scope
4 and infringed, inter alia, Crytek's exclusive rights to copy, distribute, and prepare
5 derivative works with regard to CryEngine. Defendants rely on Beijing Zhongyi
6 Zhongbiao Electronic Information Technology Co. v. Microsoft Corp., No. C13-
7 1300-MJP, 2013 WL 6979555 (W.D. Wash. Oct. 31, 2013), involving Microsoft's
8 use of certain Chinese character fonts, where a license agreement provided Microsoft
9 a "perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable" license to use the fonts in any
10 Microsoft product. Id. at *6. Because Microsoft had a license to "incorporate the
11 Fonts into any operating system or product, without limitation," its use of the fonts in
12 the product at issue was licensed.
Here, however, the GLA authorized the
13 Defendants to embed CryEngine in only one game, not two separate games.

Skadden is so on the ball it's nuts.

This is why Skadden is so expensive.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
That Leonard lawyer guy is being pretty intentionally obtuse.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

"I think Derek Smart wrote this response for them, did it for free too, I'll bet. It reeks of Smartness." -Reddit

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Terebus posted:

That Leonard lawyer guy is being pretty intentionally obtuse.

My doctor says I'm morbidly obtuse

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Colostomy Bag posted:

France was real though so the Imaginot Line please.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, any lawyer would use any leeway they can use.
French is just pointing out the problems with the legalese.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Propagandist posted:

"All rise," bellowed the bailiff.

A tired, annoyed judge, hunched over, walks in. He doesn't look at the defendants, nor the plaintiffs, nor the audience. He knows how this is going to go. He just has to get through it, he tells himself.

"You may be seated," he says, his voice tailing off into a sigh. Exasperation had gripped him for a week, and he saw no use in hiding it today.

"Now, we begin today wi-," he starts, but an airhorn blows from the back of the room. His temper had already risen all morning. He was just waiting for one poke to push him over the edge.

"THE COURT WILL BE IN ORDER!" he shouts, slamming the gavel down again and again, tripling in noise with every slam, every second.

"ya whoa," someone mutters from the back.

The judge's eye quivers, a vein protrudes from his temple. "Excuse me?" he asks, incredulously.

"ya whoa did ehp did eh woah did," said the timid voice again, but louder. Giggles are heard from the general area.

"ORDER, ORDER, I WILL NOT HAVE THESE DISRU-!" he tries to exclaim, cut off by a short burst of another airhorn, from a different corner.

"LET HIM loving FINISH!" growls Derek Smart through convulsions of laughter, tears streaming down his face.

Thank you for this! I think I might have spent a good 30 seconds laughing so hard I almost woke the neighbors up :roflolmao:

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

No quid pro quo, as I thought. Case dismissed.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Foo Diddley posted:

My doctor says I'm morbidly obtuse

Mine says that I'm a little a cute.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

quote:

Even if the Court determines that Defendants were permitted to switch
18 engines and did in fact do so, Defendants' argument fails to account for the full year
19 of infringing conduct between Defendants' announcement of the separate, standalone
20 Squadron 42 on December 16, 2015, and Defendants' eventual engine switch on
21 December 23, 2016.
(FAC ¶¶ 22, 38.) In any event, notwithstanding Defendants'
22 representation that they no longer use CryEngine in any way (Defts.' Br. at 15-16),
23 Crytek alleges that Defendants' use of CryEngine is ongoing. (E.g., FAC ¶¶ 25, 51,
24 66.) Crytek should be permitted to obtain discovery to test the truth of Defendants'
25 assertions that they have completely abandoned the use of CryEngine.

Hahahahahaha

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

I live a mile or two away from Leonard French. I could go over there and blow some airhorns in the background of his next video on this.

It's the only proper thing to do, in my opinion

XK
Jul 9, 2001

quote:

The Letter does not explain that Freyermuth had a personal
17 interest in Defendants, even though Freyermuth co-founded Defendants and thus had
18 a personal financial interest in the negotiation of the GLA.

If the Court were to hold that the GLA were ambiguous — which Crytek expressly
11 denies — any ambiguous provision would be construed in light of the extrinsic
12 evidence concerning the parties' intent and the negotiation of the GLA. Cal. Civ.
13 Code § 1647 ("A contract may be explained by reference to the circumstances under
14 which it was made, and the matter to which it relates."). One of those relevant
15 circumstances is that Freyermuth represented Defendants in that adverse
16 representation — which Defendants now claim yielded an agreement barring any
17 cause of action by Crytek for its breach. Freyermuth's prior representation of Crytek
18 and possession of Crytek's confidential information concerning its licensing practices
19 is accordingly neither immaterial, impertinent, nor scandalous.

gently caress you, Ortwin.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
The best defense I've seen so far:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I think the motion to dismiss might be denied. Just a feeling.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Colostomy Bag posted:

I always love when a dumpster fire catches fire again into the weekend.

well said, feel the same.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

G0RF posted:

Somebody with mega Google fu skills needs to dig out Chris’s old rambling asides about possibly licensing their heavily modified engine to other parties. I’m pretty sure that was a brief Croberts fever dream from a couple years back, and I’m not the only person who remembers it that way.

The theorycrafters were still running wild with that lunacy in the months leading up to the lawsuit. But I think Chris kicked that off with some ill-chosen bloviating way back when, I just haven’t found the source yet.

I remember this too - there was talk about open-sourcing their libraries so that the rest of the world could have the performance issues and GPU melting of Star Citizen :lol:

That period that was "peak Chris Roberts fever dreams" was my absolute favourite. Every 10 for the Chairman brought so much gold.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

Skadden's researchers could probably make a 30 minute montage of CIG people talking about "developing 2 AAA games"

Or plans for Squadron 42 to be "three separate games" in and of themselves. Or CIGs plans to limit players to just the first 1/3rd of the full Squadron 42 experience.

Basically CIG is mega hosed by their own doing. Like always.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I'm withholding judgement until I see the hat Minnick wore while composing the Skadden's response.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Raskolnikov posted:

Or plans for Squadron 42 to be "three separate games" in and of themselves. Or CIGs plans to limit players to just the first 1/3rd of the full Squadron 42 experience.

Basically CIG is mega hosed by their own doing. Like always.

Calling it now: during the trial, Skadden will use nothing but clips of Chris Roberts to argue their case. Their lawyers will never say a word

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

So is the hobo firing up the jumper cables along with a car battery to apply on Ortwin's nipples to bring him back from suspended animation?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Golli posted:

I'm withholding judgement until I see the hat Minnick wore while composing the Skadden's response.

I have reliable sources telling me it was a foam dome loaded with yuengling

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

Calling it now: during the trial, Skadden will use nothing but clips of Chris Roberts to argue their case. Their lawyers will never say a word

Are juries afforded 8th Amendment protection? Or is that just for convicts?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Colostomy Bag posted:

So is the hobo firing up the jumper cables along with a car battery to apply on Ortwin's nipples to bring him back from suspended animation?

That, some pentagrams, and a pint of virgin's blood, and you've got yourself an Ortwin

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

happyhippy posted:

loving lol.

Star Citizen: Exhibit 2: SC is not a game, it's a destination

So it's like a timeshare?

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

thatguy posted:

:lol:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Golli posted:

Are juries afforded 8th Amendment protection? Or is that just for convicts?

CIG's gonna have to cite the 13th to stop from gettin' owned so hard

roflingstones
May 19, 2009
gotta love cribblers autograph

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thatguy posted:

drat some real motherfucking lawyers up in here

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

What's next?

FKKS submit a picture of Pepe in response and are acclaimed as legal geniuses by Agent Mothman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Every time someone quotes reddit I'm going ughhhhhh you're not trying to litigate the merits of the case you loving SC morons, you're trying to argue there's no controversy to litigate all you're doing is proving to the court that there are significant issues begging for the court to decide shut up shut up SHUT UP and go buy another Idris you goddamn idiots and leave the law to people who didn't receive a full frontal lobotomy with a completionist pack