Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I just realized that the rollback of that mechanic was revealed during an answer to a question asking about loving cargo.

For gently caress's sake.

https://i.imgur.com/jOQXek8.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Nyast posted:

In game dev, one thing that is not often mentionned but is absolute truth, is that complexity of your code / game systems tends to grow exponentially, not linearly.

When you are adding a new feature to a game with a few simplistic systems, it goes well. Add the exact same feature when the game has matured and has tons of more complex systems and you've got yourself a difficult task.

If when your game is at the earlier stage ( ie. only the basic systems ) it already shows unfixable bugs like doors / ladders / ramps, well... imagine how it's going to look like when you'll add all your additional, complex gameplay features / systems. This is going to be a bug fest.

You *need* a solid foundation before you can iterate on more complex systems, otherwise your project is doomed.

“Every year is a Force Farce Multiplier for this game.” — Disco Lando, Community Manager of Star Citizen

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Court clerk might be a backer ; or a goon. More probably a goon.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 30, 2018

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Phi230 posted:

The cryengine ks demo always looked like a poorly done in-engine scripted/on rails thing like from a game in the 2000s

Like super unnatural and didn't look like a game being played

Just like I imagine Squadron 42 then.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Nice!

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Xaerael posted:

IDGAF if Beet probes me for "Anime", I'm super proud of this paint job that took forever, and I'm showing it everyone before I stuff it on a shelf to get dusty. Also, it's a good example of a better use of time over "playing" Star Citizen.

So left arm is for double penetration and the right one for long range fisting.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Phi230 posted:

The cryengine ks demo always looked like a poorly done in-engine scripted/on rails thing like from a game in the 2000s

Like super unnatural and didn't look like a game being played

Is that the one Crytek also made?

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Ponzi posted:

I guess any old table (tennis) wine will go well.

Excellent.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

here is pre-alpha of somekind
audio is pre-alpha
crobbers is pre-alpha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0fSez7SqAc
now taking video requests. The low fidelity of this video was a problem

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Quavers posted:

Circumlocution
noun
the use of many words where fewer would do, especially in a deliberate attempt to be vague or evasive.
"his admission came after years of circumlocution"
"Chris Roberts"

If you can't convince 'em, confuse 'em

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Dooguk posted:

From Frontier forum

Where's that GWAR laughing GIF when you need it?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mu77ley posted:

Where's that GWAR laughing GIF when you need it?

See now that's a mocap session I would fully endorse

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Dark Off posted:

here is pre-alpha of somekind
audio is pre-alpha
crobbers is pre-alpha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0fSez7SqAc
now taking video requests. The low fidelity of this video was a problem

What did you do to those faces?

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

The Titanic posted:

I’m in the same boat.

:v:

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Also, tane.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:eyepop:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

Crytek built a sizzle reel and basic demo to show that their engine was suited to the task, as part of their normal pre-sale. This is what engine people do all the time.

Chris took that stuff on stage and waved his hands around and kickstarted the funding with it.

This is all documented and that documentation is likely to become a part of space court - as it shows Crytek's involvement in getting the production off the ground.

Derek talked about this in the open house stream and snippets of the documents were shown, but these loving morons were too busy talking poo poo about Derek in the chat that they missed all of it.

I'm sure they remember it; but since it messes with their version of reality whereby Crytek couldn't possibly have done those demos - DESPITE THE FACT THAT NOT EVEN ORTWIN BOTHERED TO DISPUTE IT IN THEIR OWN COURT FILINGS - they just choose to tune it out.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

SomethingJones posted:

Jared Huckaby said that all of this info was out at the end of November. LET'S HAVE A LOOK SHALL WE. Hmm, I wonder is there anything hidden at the end of this video entitled "Cargo & Shopping"?

Subscriber's Town Hall - Cargo & Shopping
Nov 21 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS27ZLZDhO8

@49:30

Jared Huckaby:
This question has come up a couple times, 'Is there such a thing as legal ownership of cargo in 3.0?'

Star Citizen Dev:
Ok, ok... so... every now and then I read stuff on this and... it's partly my fault but... HAHA! Well, ok... so I did on AtV haha...

But... so yeah... there's... there's... technically like LEGAL and PHYSICAL ownership and this has to do with the way that the GAME, ah... TRACKS and... and... and... works with providing PERSISTENT DATA, so... and also... so... SLIGHTLY affecting criminality, so... if you LEGALLY own it that means you BOUGHT it or the game gave it to you for some, like, explicit reason, so like if I BOUGHT something at a COMMODITY KIOSK, like I legally own that, or if I bought some SHIP in the game I legally own it

However, if I have, say, a NOX that's in the back of my ship, I LEGALLY own it but then WILL comes in the back, sneaks in, picks up the NOX, puts it in HIS Starfarer or whatever... well now he PHYSICALLY owns it even though I LEGALLY own it

So what that means is certain GAMEPLAY BEHAVIOURS that will be BLOCKED depending on that, so...

Say I go to the AESOP terminal and I want to spawn a ship. Do I physically own the ship? Do I own this NOX? Physically? NO. I can't spawn it. OK. But maybe HE wants to claim INSURANCE on this NOX... he CAN'T because he doesn't LEGALLY own it.

So it's just a way of understanding the, um... OWNERSHIP to in... to INFORM other gameplay systems.

Jared Huckaby:
So, in 3.0... just piggybacking on that... I spawn a NOX, I spawn a FREELANCER, I put the NOX inside of my FREELANCER, I despawn the FREELANCER, I log out, but when I... when I come back and I spawn the FREELANCER it will have the NOX inside the cargo hold.

Star Citizen Dev:
Yes

Jared Huckaby:
Ok. Now I spawn a NOX. I get off of it. WILL takes my NOX, puts it into his FREELANCER, despawns the ship, logs out...

Star Citizen Dev:
It'll still be there. It needs more QA but A-HAHAHA! But yes.

Jared Huckaby:
Ok... ok... ok... so... so HE logs out, ah... now... now... now I wanna fly my NOX, what options are available to me at this point?

Star Citizen Dev:
Ah... it will show it as... NOT AVAILABLE... because it's not PHYSICALLY in your possession and it's not at your LOCATION... you can't spawn it... you can still claim INSURANCE on it, you can ALWAYS claim insurance on it... HE has access to that ship and... if... next time he spawns a ship he'll have that ship, he can't claim INSURANCE on it and if he parks it out somewhere else, and then LOGS OFF... because he doesn't LEGALLY own it, next time he logs in he won't have it any more.

And he won't be able to spawn it EVER at an AESOP terminal because he doesn't LEGALLY own it.

Jared Huckaby:
Ok so... so... so WILL can't spawn it, if it bel... if WILL... has it BLOWN UP that's it...

Star Citizen Dev:
IT'S GONE, yes.

Jared Huckaby:
So if WILL has it in the back of his FREELANCER and he has his insurance claim... in theory there's TWO NOXES

Star Citizen Dev:
There's two NOXES, yes

Jared Huckaby:
But only ONE is going to live on to MATURITY, the other ones life... it's DAYS ARE NUMBERED

So ships are exclusive?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

Jared Huckaby said that all of this info was out at the end of November. LET'S HAVE A LOOK SHALL WE. Hmm, I wonder is there anything hidden at the end of this video entitled "Cargo & Shopping"?

:words:

Jared Huckaby:
So if WILL has it in the back of his FREELANCER and he has his insurance claim... in theory there's TWO NOXES

Star Citizen Dev:
There's two NOXES, yes

Jared Huckaby:
But only ONE is going to live on to MATURITY, the other ones life... it's DAYS ARE NUMBERED

Dammit man you can transcribe all you want but you are leaving out all the exformation that is so important to what he’s saying!!! What about the intimations, the inflections, the personality? There’s no texture to a transcript therefore it’s lost a ton of the virtue derived from the sincerity of delivery!

I can’t judge the substance of this if I don’t know the style, can’t read the letter of it if I don’t know the spirit of it!

But for real, this is what you get when your leadership can’t admit mistakes and won’t ever apologize. CIG as a corporation embodies the narcissistic personality disorder of the powers that run it and “it filters from the top” down to be defended and denied by delusional hangars-on.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 29, 2018

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

No one's going to jail for a video game you nutjob. FFS fully retire already.

:allears:

----------------

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

a fully retired Derek Smart would have even more time to shitpost on the internet

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Renegret posted:

Not that I want to defend anything that MoMA says but if Curt Schilling can get away with it....

He didn't squander away millions in public backer money. It was all his personal investment, as well as tax payer money. And he didn't fail to deliver on promises made, nor was he actively running a Ponzi scheme. They ran out of money. That's it. The End.

And yeah, two people DID go to jail over it by the way, though they were NOT connected to the development side - they were connected to the funding.

See what I mean? Over time, people just forget and/or just post manufactured bullshit because who has time to dig up history? :grin:

----------------

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
Allright, serious question, no trolling please (!).

If keeping stolen ships is no longer part of the game, can somebody explain to me what the point of neutralizing, EVA-ing, infiltrating and capturing a ship is ? Wasn't that the whole reason they added FPS in the first place ?

If there's no point in capturing a ship, who's seriously going to do all these things that are risky for their avatar instead of just blowing up the target ?

Doesn't it, like.. make the whole FPS side of the game a pointless cosmetic ? Or are there other important gameplay elements that I'm missing that require the FPS part ?

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Nyast posted:

Or are there other important gameplay elements that I'm missing that require the FPS part ?
All of the gameplay elements are missing.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Nyast posted:

If keeping stolen ships is no longer part of the game, can somebody explain to me what the point of neutralizing, EVA-ing, infiltrating and capturing a ship is ? Wasn't that the whole reason they added FPS in the first place ?

If there's no point in capturing a ship, who's seriously going to do all these things that are risky for their avatar instead of just blowing up the target ?

Doesn't it, like.. make the whole FPS side of the game a pointless cosmetic ? Or are there other important gameplay elements that I'm missing that require the FPS part ?

It just means the FPS module needs to be re-written again.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Instead of disavowing the stolen ship despawning or saying its an iterative progress like they always do, Jared doubles down. Are you kidding me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/7tkmc3/star_citizen_dev_you_cannot_collect_ships_by/dte0j2i/

quote:

Disco Lando: Not for nothing, but the information you won't be able to keep stolen ships indefinitely has been out since November 2017.

:allears::allears::allears:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tortolia posted:

I love how this project is so far off the rails that Beet making a joke about ocean mocap is entirely within the realm of believably stupid poo poo that CIG might actually do.

Ocean mocap is not a joke.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

YOUTUBE: Calling All Devs - Episode 3

Let the parsing begin...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Nyast posted:

Wasn't that the whole reason they added FPS in the first place ?

Oh, there's your problem: you assume that huge scope increases were added for actual reasons and not because Chris Roberts wants to make every game he's ever seen or heard of in one go.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Virtual Captain posted:

Instead of disavowing the stolen ship despawning or saying its an iterative progress like they always do, Jared doubles down. Are you kidding me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/7tkmc3/star_citizen_dev_you_cannot_collect_ships_by/dte0j2i/

There's always more, it's always worse, and you always double down.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh, there's your problem: you assume that huge scope increases were added for actual reasons and not because Chris Roberts wants to make every game he's ever seen or heard of in one go.

Soon he's going to mocap fish for Starnautica

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

There's always more, it's always worse, and you always double down.
The Star Citizen Triad.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

XK posted:

What did you do to those faces?

some deep learning with Croberts faces :smug:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nyast posted:

CIG are idiots

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
How's suing Montoya going?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

thatguy posted:

How's suing Montoya going?

Hang on, sorry I misread that, yes how is that going?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Virtual Captain posted:

real talk has anyone seen Derek and Lando in the same room at the same time

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
A lot of their features make basically no sense when viewed in the scope of a persistent game. Their whole capturing people for bounties or whatever feature, for a prime example. What happens when player A sticks player B in the cell in his bounty hunting ship, points the nose in a random direction, maxes thrust, then leaves the computer running for days before logging out and never returning? Is your character just trapped in a ship for hours or days before support will get around to respawning them? Well that's fun.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Valatar posted:

A lot of their features make basically no sense when viewed in the scope of a persistent game. Their whole capturing people for bounties or whatever feature, for a prime example. What happens when player A sticks player B in the cell in his bounty hunting ship, points the nose in a random direction, maxes thrust, then leaves the computer running for days before logging out and never returning? Is your character just trapped in a ship for hours or days before support will get around to respawning them? Well that's fun.

Anything at all like this holds up to scrutiny about as well as lingerie would hold up Ben's buttcrack.
What happens is player B logs out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Nyast posted:

I dunno, but I bet a jpeg the space-rapist-human-cargo-dude is feeling grief about it. But hey, that's the inevitable consequence of believing what CIG says.