Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Frank_Leroux posted:

He doeshn't do anything?

It's a sarcastic Australian joke, I was hoping to smoke out fans of the show :saddowns:

derp catte for a derp taxxe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I picked up another player on my multi-person mount in World of Warcraft, and in that, I saw God.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Whoa, Blizzard is ripping off multicrew from Star Citizen now? Disgusting, be original guys.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

this is extremely depressing

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Two things:
1) The F-16 is forty years old, not sure it would be my first choice to cite as an example of "modern aircraft."
2) Via Wikipedia: "The Fighting Falcon's key features include a frameless bubble canopy for better visibility." Gee, that sure sounds like a useful feature. I wonder why that doesn't survive the next 900 years?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Galarox posted:

How many words do you have for "snow" in Eskimo?

Snow
White ice
Ice
Aaaayyyyssseee
Aise
Thunder water frozen from sky
Snaw
Snao
Slushy froth
Death from above
It's like Summer in New York
Frozen sunshine
Sled food
Dehydrated and frozen water
Lice
Cocaine
Glitzies
Snoo
El snow
La snow
Le snow
Fresh snow
Snow snow

And this is only what I know of my very basic Eskimo languages when I was but a young Eskimo crossing the channel between Russia and Alaska back in the day when the world was one big chunk.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Space worm is not a joke.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_Cerritos_mid-air_collision

One of the key contributing aspects of the crash was that the pilots did not use the seat adjustment in the DC-9, which would have helped them overcome a large portion of the visibility problem that cause the whole thing. It was even part of the checklist (that the pilots ignored).

The DC-9 is a 50-year old airframe. Any bets that every single airliner since has had the same adjustments and the same point on the checklist?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Holy jesus, I'm laughing my....

Tippis posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_Cerritos_mid-air_collision

One of the key contributing aspects of the crash was that the pilots did not use the seat adjustment in the DC-9, which would have helped them overcome a large portion of the visibility problem that cause the whole thing. It was even part of the checklist (that the pilots ignored).

The DC-9 is a 50-year old airframe. Any bets that every single airliner since has had the same adjustments and the same point on the checklist?

:stare: PanzerKommander, if you're reading, please let me know which airline you fly for so I can avoid it.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I wouldn't be surprised if in fifty years glass windshields become vestigial and all real work is done via a constellation of cameras that can give an unobstructed panoramic view from multiple angles (assuming in 50 years pilots haven't already been completely replaced by AI). Enthusiasts are already replacing rear view/wing mirrors on cars with cameras and an on-dash screen, and of course drone operators fly entirely remotely a half-world away. Given the depths of space, what one can see with the unaided eye is absolutely pitiful compared with what IR and near UV sensors can detect, along with radar. Defending poor sight lines in a spacecraft a millennium hence seems as ridiculous as a modern day soldier arguing that the arms on a particular trebuchet doesn't have the same stiffness of other models built by William the Conqueror.

But no, we're still pretending we're flying P51s but in SPAAAAAACCEEEEE

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

kw0134 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if in fifty years glass windshields become vestigial and all real work is done via a constellation of cameras that can give an unobstructed panoramic view from multiple angles (assuming in 50 years pilots haven't already been completely replaced by AI). Enthusiasts are already replacing rear view/wing mirrors on cars with cameras and an on-dash screen, and of course drone operators fly entirely remotely a half-world away. Given the depths of space, what one can see with the unaided eye is absolutely pitiful compared with what IR and near UV sensors can detect, along with radar. Defending poor sight lines in a spacecraft a millennium hence seems as ridiculous as a modern day soldier arguing that the arms on a particular trebuchet doesn't have the same stiffness of other models built by William the Conqueror.

this is it for me, there is no reason a spacecraft would even have a see through viewport except for an emergency in my opinion

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Spaceship cockpits should be like the cockpits in Titanfall, there's one early access space game on steam that does it, can't think of the name of it off the top of my head.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ComfyPants posted:

Holy jesus, I'm laughing my....

:stare: PanzerKommander, if you're reading, please let me know which airline you fly for so I can avoid it.

PanzerKommander Imaginary Airlines. PKIA. The initials for pilot killed in action are coincidental.

e: why is a tank commander flying poo poo anyways?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

big nipples big life posted:

Spaceship cockpits should be like the cockpits in Titanfall, there's one early access space game on steam that does it, can't think of the name of it off the top of my head.

:yeah:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kw0134 posted:

Flying P51s in space are perfectly cool and good. "Realism" in a silly space game with ninja turtles is super dumb anyways. The issue is that there is no excuse for giving you a poo poo view on purpose, for balance, "realism", or any other reason. It's just loving stupid. Chris Roberts is a retard.

Anyways, space game WW2 dogfights are going to be inherently worse than the ones is a proper WW2 game. One almost instinctively knows how a plane should "feel" when flying, that there is an up and a down (and going up is harder than down), that there are all sort of visual cues to help you orient yourself, that weather matters, etc. Space WW2 dogfighting is just a lovely imitation that was pretty popular when computers weren't able to render much poo poo so setting your game in the blackness of space was a good way to avoid drawing stuff. But nowadays there is no need for that, so you can get the proper dogfighting experience, against a properly beautiful background, instead of asterioid field #251.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

kw0134 posted:

We are pretty drat close now and I'm sure the only reason we dont have such things in planes and cars is simply because of the government taking ages to adopt anything new .... like we are seeing how with laser headlights being banned from entering the market

And plus there is the good old mechanical fall back of glass and mirrors when the little cameras get broken or filled with dirt

Cars are going to look so goofy the first few years after manufacturers finally remove wing mirrors though ,

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Quavers posted:

Important announcement from WTFOSaurus:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/252600095?t=20m10s

He's getting free stuff to giveaway and a new PC. Organised/paid-for by CIG to rejuvenate his streaming of Star Citizen?

Captain_Richard too:
https://twitter.com/RichardOnTwitch/status/987483119577124865
Looks like CIG aren't concerned with hiding the direct gifting/paying of the SC streamers now

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Don't be ridiculous, then you'd be able to see how brown everything is!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Re streamer chat : some of these people command massive audiences in the 10s of thousands per stream.... if a game company can get them to show off their new game it almost guarantees it will be a hit upon release

The problem is lots of 'streamer games' fizzle out shortly after release

So I fully encourage cig to throw money at the lovely content makers and have it get them nowhere

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Quavers posted:

Captain_Richard too:
Looks like CIG aren't concerned with hiding the direct gifting/paying of the SC streamers now

The gravy train is not only lumpy at this point, but cold. But people are still riding it!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

CIG buying streamers PCs that maybe can run the game at 20 FPS, nice.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

CrazyLoon posted:

uhhh...I really did NOT need to know that.

As per the question, RAUS is basically 'get out' in german and yea, I kinda hate that it got associated with nazis cause it's pretty cathartic to say it like so to someone that has really outstayed their welcome 'RRRRRRRAUS!'

All of this has finally helped me figure out what the hell the Germans in RTCW MP were shouting. Always heard it as Ralph.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

CIG buying streamers PCs that maybe can run the game at 20 FPS, nice.

As a crowd funded project, Star Citizen's scope is based directly on the support provided by our backers. Money pledged goes directly to the game's development.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Taintrunner posted:

Six! loving! YEARS! Into goddam development! After, what, 100 loving ship sales?! How are we not melting down about this! This is loving flabbergasting!

Because we have no investment in it, so its simply funny to watch and take the piss out of. Its the backers that should be having a meltdown.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

Captain_Richard too:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Countdown until Clifford announces his partnership with CIG on @Mixer along with help from @INTEL !

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Quavers posted:

Roadmap update :toot:

Characters - 0 Entries

Locations - 2 Entries
  • Refineries - The design, creation and implementation of locations where players can go to sell unrefined ore that they have mined. Players can also visit these facilities to purchase refined minerals to sell elsewhere.
  • CommArray Revision - Creating and implementing revisions to the CommArray stations positioned around the universe. These not only facilitate the ability to transfer data but also provide ECN coverage to report any security violations.

Gameplay - 4 Entries
  • Liquid/Gas Exploration - This feature includes all the tech and gameplay work required to allow players to search for, identify, and extract deposits of liquids or gases on planets as well as in space.
  • Expanded Cargo - This feature will increase the sizes and types of cargo containers that the players will use to transport commodities and goods. The current size is a single SCU, these crates will cover larger sizes and shapes.#
  • Data Running - The ability to transfer data between locations, but this system also includes the creation of data packets/tags to points of interest in the universe that allow it to be tracked. For example, a prospector identifies a vein of nickel. The location of that discovery becomes a piece of data that the prospector can transfer or sell.
  • Long Range Scanning - The system required to allow a ship to scan wider areas of space, find points of interest and travel to them. This will feature heavily with prospecting and exploration ships.

AI - 2 Entries
  • FPS Combat - AI Combat Styles - Work on this feature will introduce a variety of Combat styles that can be applied to NPC AI. Some of these initial personalities would range from untrained fighters to trained military, allowing a variety of flavors to an encounter.
  • Flight - Combat Styles - This feature will introduce a variety of combat styles to AI Pilots. These personalities would vary in their approach to a combat scenario in order to make each combat encounter a little more unpredictable. This update will also allow AI ships to attack ground targets.

Ships and Vehicles - 2 Entries
  • Origin 890 Jump - Building, implementing, and balancing Origin's luxury ship, the 890 Jump, as a flight ready ship in the game.
  • Banu Defender - Building, implementing, and balancing the Banu fighter as a flight ready ship in the game.

Weapons and Items - 3 Entries
  • Kastak Arms Coda - Designing and creating Kastak Arms' Coda ballistic pistol for use by characters in-game. The work includes asset creation, passes by numerous teams, and Design input on weapon balance.
  • Klaus & Werner Lumin V - Designing and creating Klaus & Werner's submachine gun for use by characters in-game. This includes asset creation, passes by numerous departments, and Design input on weapon balance.
  • Kastak Arms Firestorm - Designing and creating Kastak Arms' microwave cannon for use by characters in-game. This includes concept completion, asset creation, passes by numerous departments, and Design input on weapon balance.

Core Tech - 1 Entry
  • Performance Optimization - General optimization and engine improvements to increase stability and performance for the players. This includes continued transition of gameplay systems to Item 2.0 as well as investigation and resolution of possible memory leaks and performance spikes.
You know it took me a little bit to realize, this is all the promised stuff for 3.5. Ie next year.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
come on Skadden, tell us how much CIG is spending on 'influencers' and astroturfing

Nov 24, 2014

Scruffpuff posted:

I still maintain that a sizeable percentage of CIG's employees are as taken by the scam as the backers are, if not moreso.

wikipedia posted:

The Twentieth Century Motor Car Corporation was an automobile company started by con-artist Geraldine Elizabeth Carmichael, in 1974. The company's flagship vehicle was the Dale, a prototype three-wheeled two-seater sports car designed and built by Dale Clifft. It was touted as being powered by an 850 cc air-cooled engine and featuring 70 mpg (3.4 L/100 km) fuel economy and cost $2,000 (approx. $9,930 accounting for inflation).

*snip*

The company would ultimately prove to be fraudulent when Carmichael went into hiding with investors' money.

*snip*

Although Clifft said he still believed in the project and said that he was promised $3 million in royalties once the Dale went into production, he only received $1,001, plus a $2,000 check, which bounced.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Are the streamers really going to deny being paid by CIG when they all mysteriously get brand new Optane systems simultaneously.

Also why would they need so much advertisement all of a sudden :thunk:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Are the streamers really going to deny being paid by CIG when they all mysteriously get brand new Optane systems simultaneously.

Also why would they need so much advertisement all of a sudden :thunk:

You don't understand. Intel is a small company that needs a helping hand in promotion.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

come on Skadden, tell us how much CIG is spending on 'influencers' and astroturfing

Pretty sure twitch streamers have to abide by this document:

https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/f...ementguides.pdf

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
This is the kind of quality coverage the game enjoys these days. As with GamerMax, who spoke of the ability NOW for players to agent smith into NPCs crewing GamerMax’s Idris, the fictions fly fast and furious. A backer has supposedly written this and presents it as truthful yet from the very title and throughout, it is an inflated distortion of reality. The alternative and truer telling offered by Eurogamer not long ago, Star Citizen, I am disappointed, is one offered from outside the distortion bubble looking in. Screenrant and GamerMax are inside it looking out.

If we’re racing towards an MVP, Star Citizen backers will be less and less afforded the opportunity for Futurecasting. The Future will have become the Present and they will have to decide what they choose to see before them and whether the road that lead to it was the right one or if instead the leader went off course. GamerMax was already engaged in that imaginary debate with imaginary strawmen in his video yesterday. He may need to prepare for having it for the rest of his life, and with real people, if Chris Roberts ends up delivering the exponential version of No Man’s Sky.

SCREENRANT: Star Citizen Has Over 2 Million Invested Players Now

quote:

The largest crowdfunded project ever just keeps getting bigger, and so to does the scale and scope of the project itself. Star Citizen, the most ambitious space sim and perhaps even the most ambitious video game overall ever, has been in development for so many years that I can’t even remember when I backed it. This week, Star Citizen celebrated another monumental milestone in reaching two million “Citizen into the ‘verse.”

Two million players have invested in Star Citizen and the vision that creator Chris Roberts (Wing Commander) and the dev teams at Cloud Imperium Games have promised and showcased over the years.

I was there before Star Citizen even launched its Kickstarter campaign, back when reaching $2 million was an impressive milestone on the team’s own website. They wanted to get fans to fund half the game for $10 million so they could have creative control. That was the big goal. Fast-forward six years and the current funding total sits at well over $183 million making it one of the most expensive video games ever made. As has been well-documented for a few years now, a testament to the transparency and openness between Chris Roberts, the devs, and the community, Star Citizen has constantly evolved, becoming the biggest victim of “feature creep” ever but it’s also a case of perfectionism.

For some, the years and years (and years) of delays have been a source of frustration, but for the whole, it’s been for good reason. Roberts and co. are striving to build the biggest and most dynamic and complex game possible, and as tech evolves alongside the genre, so to do the expectations and plans for the game, down to the details of user interfaces and ship controls. What was once a space sim in a persistent shared universe where players played the pilots themselves and not just starships, has grown into something where players can also land on planets, drive ground vehicles, and so much more.

It sounds too good to be true perhaps, especially given that development began in 2011, but for years now the team has delivered on playable modules. Right now, backers can download playable version of a shared universe (the Alpha 3.1 build) and try out the Star Marine and Arena Commander modes.

To celebrate the two millionth player, backers receive a few in-game digital items (T-shirts). 20-30 thousand more backers have already joined the cause in the last few days even though there’s still no release date for Star Citizen or its now-standalone story campaign, Squadron 42. Still, this game is build by and for its community, and this is alive and strong. There are frequent events or “cons” to celebrate the game and chat with the devs, and very active forums for those interested in following along or getting involved.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

i'm the trash biome

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drunk Theory posted:

You know it took me a little bit to realize, this is all the promised stuff for 3.5. Ie next year.

And still just one system and still so many features and mechanics missing before they will be able to make a 1.0 release. A lot of new assets though! New outfits! New ships! All stuff that idiots will pay real money for! This is good for Just Starting Citizen.

I'm now wondering if the game will be released by 2030.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tokamak posted:

i'm the trash biome

I'm the stock picture of whatever ship that is, but with a blur effect applied behind it