Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I got my cat from a shelter. A previous owner declawed him, and that makes me sad. He's very chill, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

When is Star Citizen coming out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yDP9MKVhZc

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Derek Smarts a dinosaur compared to kids these days on the internet and hes been spewing his garbage games and lies all over said internet for decades and lying to people and generally warlordin it up and being a oval office BUT HE SAID A BAD THING ABOUT STAR CITIZEN? gently caress YOU LETS "ARCHIVE" EVERYTHING HE POSTS as long as it only ever relates to Star Citizen lets not get crazy and archive his progress reports on his own game or any of that other crap

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
From the montly report:

quote:

The Oxygen, Breathing & Stamina systems have started being implemented and soon we will have players begin to carry their own oxygen supplies or risk turning blue in the face. The system should handle everything from how the oxygen tank delivers breathable air to the helmet, to how the player breathes said air and how his body converts that into actual usable stamina. At the same time, all actions are being converted to consume this stamina, so you will want to keep your character supplied with oxygen if you want them to be capable of performing various actions.

:downs:

Wow, and here I thought you just would have an oxygen bar that goes down to zero before you suffocate. No, they are modelling how the players breathe and how their bodies convert that air into stamina.

What a bunch of bullshit.

Also: "have started being implemented and soon..." Out in 2014/2015/2016/2017

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

trucutru posted:

From the montly report:

Wow, and here I thought you just would have an oxygen bar that goes down to zero before you suffocate. No, they are modelling how the players breathe and how their bodies convert that air into stamina.

Bearing in mind CIG's past performance, what can possibly go worng.......

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sindai posted:

They missed the best part:

If you find yourself developing a language when you started developing a piece of software, something has gone horrendously wrong.

Just back to this because this is amazing. Usually you come across this kind of thing with editors; at some point you end up needing a macro language or literally turn your editor into a language interpreter just to get out of the requirement. A lot of games use lua because its useful and small and lets you upgrade elements quickly, so they too partly become language interpreters, but a lot of the time only to manage assets and prototyping behaviours before you recode them back into a fast compiled language.

But this is different, this is "maybe it'll work if it compiles differently", on a network architecture. At best, they want to use something like Go but obviously can't for licensing reasons. Sounds suspiciously like someone is justifying their paycheck with BS. I mean, the architecture is the thing, no amount of fiddling with different languages changes the basic problems, you just cannot abstract them away.

And then you get projection like this. But this is why you get someone writing a new language for a task that should never need one. Because Christ Roberts is the problem.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Like Star Citizen, I hosed this post up.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

trucutru posted:

From the montly report:

Also: "have started being implemented and soon..." Out in 2014/2015/2016/2017

I'm calling it, Star Citizen as an official sport at the 2020 Olympics.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

two weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbuluDBHpfQ

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI3327gfxMI

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Big One and Stank

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
tane

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Propagandist posted:

Big One and Stank

Those don't look like rabbittes.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egUQju95vT8

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

trucutru posted:

From the montly report:

quote:

The Oxygen, Breathing & Stamina systems have started being implemented and soon we will have players begin to carry their own oxygen supplies or risk turning blue in the face. The system should handle everything from how the oxygen tank delivers breathable air to the helmet, to how the player breathes said air and how his body converts that into actual usable stamina. At the same time, all actions are being converted to consume this stamina, so you will want to keep your character supplied with oxygen if you want them to be capable of performing various actions.

This text is a direct interpretation of Chris' random wavy gestures.
And nothing more.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?

Is it even possible to spite pledge with a rage boner?

How does Sandi wrestle with the alternate and paradoxical truisms of both being the best businesswomen since she a little girl and an "actor"?

What happens when Chris's logical refactoring pathway of all night coding confronts his ~dreams~ of playing Grabby Hands with Ben in 3.0?

From my latest blog (July):

Star Citizen: Irresistible Force Paradox (The Awakenining)

Also, excellent cat pics of late :3:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TrustmeImLegit posted:

fuckin lol like citizen if even one of these is true (you know deep down most of them are) how hosed they are.

From the Reddit trenches they seem to be getting desperate. They are switching to the name calling/not listening/puppet master triple-reverse-with-quadruple-twist-and-plie troll level even faster than ever.

It amazes me how virulently they respond to my latest tack - "There would be no CIG without backers. You backers deserve respect from CIG. Stop giving them money (don't refund, just stop the pledges) until they give you real answers and productivity" or something like that. And I pretty much get called everything but a child of God. Well, I try that tack with backers that seem to have some little splash of reason left. People like Zecumbe, and that idiot 2IRRC. And then there are the sad cases like Angry Pacifist that seem to think they deserve the treatment they are getting. :sigh: I shall continue fighting the good fight, but at times I wonder about our chances at success until CIG flames out or pulls an ELE.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 11, 2017

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Zecumbe? Some little splash of reason left? Is this :thejoke: ?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

boviscopophobic posted:

I recommend reading the Studio Report thoroughly and seeing how many red flags you can spot. I was going to compile a list but it was just too much.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15704-Monthly-Studio-Report

There's also this extremely reassuring item in the Production Schedule Report:

"We have been hard at work"

"This month our Tech Designers have been hard at work"

"The Backend Team has been hard at work"

:flaccid:

QA: "To put in perspective, we were not caught up until April of last year from the busy holiday period… this year we’ve accomplished that in January!"

So, that's the number of backers down to 25%?

"We kicked off the new year by putting some new to be announced ships into concept"

"Like many of the departments, the Audio used the New Year as an opportunity to go back and do some housecleaning."

They's sweeping streets now.

"dialogue pipeline"

"We’ve also been prototyping AI Characters reacting to players bumping into them"

And this is just super:

"Part of the Cinematics team is currently in a sprint to push towards a “final” look and feel for the conversation system that is used for talks between the player and NPCs (which the S42 campaign features a lot of).

This includes topics like:

UI text placement and animation for dialogue choices

Solving issues of: If, how and when to slow a player down running towards an NPC.

How to make “gentle” collisions between physics capsules when the player violates personal space by getting too close.

How to adjust recorded performances and manipulate the actor’s Look or even Body pose to match for a changing player position. (we call that performance transformation)

Dynamic camera effects that kick in when the conversation is initialized both in a change of FOV and Depth of Field blur increasing.

We want our conversations to feel “filmic” while still allowing the player freedom. Invoking a “cinematic” feel first and foremost means changing the lens to values that are more akin to how a film camera would depict a character. The engines FOV traditionally is calculated with a vertical FOV value. The current in-game on-foot FOV is at 55 which is equivalent to an extreme wide angle lens of approximately ~13mm (using 35mm film equivalent ARRI master prime lenses as a comparison). That kind of lens is bordering on fisheye lens territory. If the player gets close to a character using this kind of FOV it distorts faces, so what we are doing is gradually changing the FOV over a certain time down to 30 which is equivalent to a ~25mm wide angle portrait lens. We are finding this is a nice compromise of the faces revealing all of the awesome scanned detail by appearing big on screen while still allowing for a sense of orientation in regards to the background (if player decides to move during a conversation)."

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:smith:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

He's a bit slow.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Double time that tax

It's far too hot to cuddle at the moment but at nap time they have to be touching each other.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Mr.Tophat posted:

Which will happen first? Trump being impeached, or Star Citizen lawsuit?

Derek is involved in both

actually if they keep up the tension I bet it wont be impeachment. Both sides are working together and stirring the population.
Impeachment isnt what they are looking for. Expect a full on power grab afterward that makes 9/11 look like a cake walk.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohguwyFECHI

kratom is all you need.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

MeLKoR posted:

Is Ben or ?

The former for sure

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

Zecumbe? Some little splash of reason left? Is this :thejoke: ?

More a mistake than anything else. Typo even. I mean someone like say... Kerstas? Sorry, busy night at work and I am tired from having to brain around the Citizenry since they can't seem to.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

http://i.imgur.com/mjbMR7t.gifv

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:smug:

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016
CIG trying unfuck SC

https://youtu.be/XcvvdHYTrQE

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

At least he got down to ~=LyteningPhast=~ 70ms of lag

Playing at the speed of CIG

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I can't imagine Internet access being all that fantastic in Darwin, Australia though. Is Australian internet real poo poo, like in the US? Or worse? :ohdear:

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

MilesK posted:

Oh hey, Chris finally put some guy in charge of inventing his impossible cloud-mesh dream. Am I worried this is just coming out now and is obfuscated by buzzwords? No. I'm sure him and his "Backend Team" of 3 other network engineers will knock this out in no time. Besides "netcode" is something 2.6.2 is supposed to fix.

"Beware jargon. It usually hides ignorance and carries little knowledge." One of the little Bene Gesserit lessons I carried out of Dune.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
For reference I pay about $35 for my 100/100 connection. I could upgrade to 250/100 for $50 or 1000/100 for about $85.

Speed is always reliably ~102 mbps downstream

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I also have a penis the size of your underarm and I've probably slept with your sisters

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tigers of all sizes demand high grass to hide in. :3:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I also have a penis the size of your underarm and I've probably slept with your sisters

You poor bastard.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

At least he got down to ~=LyteningPhast=~ 70ms of lag

Playing at the speed of CIG

Australia is like America, except there are almost no towns/cities between the east and west coasts. Aside from Houston Texas, Fargo North Dakota, and (desert) Emporia Kansas.

Cymelion lives in Emporia, and you can probably guess the internet isn't too great in the middle of nowhere :smith:

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 11, 2017

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

happy harry hardon says hi.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

heh jokes on you coz I don't have one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

his nibs posted:

heh jokes on you coz I don't have one

actually, I do