Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Coderathi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Stuff like that is the worst, most archaic poo poo imaginable, I loving hate games that gimp you for no good reason. There's a reason that poo poo isn't in games much now.

Before you go into a fight you have to make sure you are well-hydrated, had a good meal and bowel movement (the toilet can now be accessed), slept well, carry enough oxygen, etc. Otherwise your commando's mitochondria may not produce ATP at 100% efficiency and his cardiovascular system will not be able to deliver energy-rich blood to all the modeled muscles -including the diaphragm- which will slow the oxygen intake even more.

In short, your stamina bar charges 10% more slowly. (You can buy special medicine at the cash-shop to prevent this)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

I wonder what they will name their language?

SANDI

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Crunnilingus - "Chrisisacoolguylanguage" - alienese - hackendehaaach - "everything is the same as normal English but you just put mesa on the end of everything.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Better Online Networking Enablement Refactoring Job-queue Improved Star Network

B.O.N.E.R.J.I.S.N

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

trucutru posted:

Before you go into a fight you have to make sure you are well-hydrated, had a good meal and bowel movement (the toilet can now be accessed), slept well, carry enough oxygen, etc. Otherwise your commando's mitochondria may not produce ATP at 100% efficiency and his cardiovascular system will not be able to deliver energy-rich blood to all the modeled muscles -including the diaphragm- which will slow the oxygen intake even more.

In short, your stamina bar charges 10% more slowly. (You can buy special medicine at the cash-shop to prevent this)

It's like the stamina bar in Dark Souls, except you have to buy oxygen tank refills, but only from the high quality oxygen suppliers. You also need high flow lines, premium breathing masks, long chain super starch food sources for burst outputs of physical performance, but you need to keep your metabolism ketogenic in order to maximize the efficiency of your mitochondria. You now have to manage a half dozen status bars.

Mining and trading come later. It's alpha, we can only get these systems in place one at a time. Stop loving complaining.

Now, let's talk about the mechanics of how players bump into NPCs, that must be softened, and their posture needs real time dynamic updating with FOV and focus changes. Just wait till you see our dialog pipeline.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Guys, it's pretty obvious the language will be named Tickle.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
dissonant ergonomic realtime ergometric kellogs semantic mocapped art.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 11, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

From the montly report:

:downs:

Wow, and here I thought you just would have an oxygen bar that goes down to zero before you suffocate. No, they are modelling how the players breathe and how their bodies convert that air into stamina.

What a bunch of bullshit.

Also: "have started being implemented and soon..." Out in 2014/2015/2016/2017

I'm not sure what's funnier, the fact that they think modeling oxygen usage and flow is a better idea than just having an oxygen meter, or the fact that people believe that's what they're actually doing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

To be honest I was going to suggest this as well since the language Ada was named after Ada Lovelace, a pioneering woman in the field many many years ago.

So what better name than that? Name a language after the best marketer in the world.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm not sure what's funnier, the fact that they think modeling oxygen usage and flow is a better idea than just having an oxygen meter, or the fact that people believe that's what they're actually doing.
An oxygen bar is technically 'modeling' usage and flow of oxygen. It's just that the model is very crude. :v:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
pls speak ingliss

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I can't imagine Internet access being all that fantastic in Darwin, Australia though. Is Australian internet real poo poo, like in the US? Or worse? :ohdear:

:argh:

For reference I pay about $35 for my 100/100 connection. I could upgrade to 250/100 for $50 or 1000/100 for about $85.

Speed is always reliably ~102 mbps downstream

I also have a penis the size of your underarm and I've probably slept with your sisters

:argh: :argh: :argh:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Hopefully they have options in store for different pressures. For 5,000 UEC you can upgrade to a triox tank.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Spatial posted:

An oxygen bar is technically 'modeling' usage and flow of oxygen. It's just that the model is very crude. :v:

Sort of my point, except I worded it dumb. Look at it this way, there's two options CIG has for implementing their "you need to breathe" system:

A) A big bar on the bottom of your screen and you move slower and eventually die when it runs out, like every other video game ever.

or

B) A complex system whereby your spaceman has realistically modeled blood flow and oxygenation rates - all represented by a big bar on the bottom of your screen and you moving slower and eventually dying when it runs out.

The endpoint is the same as far as the user is concerned, so why would you go through the trouble of trying to do all that extra poo poo when it's almost infinitely easier/simpler to just do the the way it's always been done? And that of course is aside from the fact that they're going to ultimately end up realizing how hard and stupid and dumb it is to do thing the way they say they are and they'll decide to just choose path A anyway despite telling the credulous masses that they've chosen path B. Like if this isn't the one thing everyone needs to go "Oh yeah, I guess it is a scam" then I don't know how to help these people :psyduck:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Beet! Clearly they're going to use volumetric simulations of individual blood cells and aggregate results in the cloud! You cynical leaver! Why don't you believe in CIG 3.0 is coming soon?!??!?!?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

The retarded part about making alien languages is that it's just going to be a human gibberish language.

Make the Huuliguns or whatever loving stupid name meow. Or bark. Or Baa like a loving sheep. THESE are "alien" to us. "Gleep glop wickety snoo snarr ikky ikky fitang" isn't alien. it's just a human saying "Gleep glop wickety snoo snarr ikky ikky fitang".

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

XK posted:

Guys, it's pretty obvious the language will be named Tickle.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xaerael posted:

The retarded part about making alien languages is that it's just going to be a human gibberish language.

Make the Huuliguns or whatever loving stupid name meow. Or bark. Or Baa like a loving sheep. THESE are "alien" to us. "Gleep glop wickety snoo snarr ikky ikky fitang" isn't alien. it's just a human saying "Gleep glop wickety snoo snarr ikky ikky fitang".

Bah weep granna weep ninibong.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Please, keep Ben's last AtV comments out of this when describing a ship.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

But imagine the possibilities! You can use your trusty space knife to cut another's commando air-hose then watch as they slowly die in front of you, while you stab their innards and a fine mist blood crystallizes into an almost immaterial zero-g sculpture to your power. Oh yeeeeah, that's the stuff.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Sunswipe posted:

All out of funds! Sorry!

*gets evicerated*

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Dare to be stupid, back this game!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

All you've done is remind that I wish there was a modern HD re-edit of this Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOkqqiFQLAI

If I recall correctly, it was originally a Goon who put that together, well over 10 years ago.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Spatial posted:

Beet! Clearly they're going to use volumetric simulations of individual blood cells and aggregate results in the cloud! You cynical leaver! Why don't you believe in CIG 3.0 is coming soon?!??!?!?

My faith has failed me! Or have I failed my faith? :negative:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:eyepop:

Also by what loving standard is that an "A-" :lol:

e: "Faster than 81% of Australia" :roflolmao:

I hope that's by area and not population

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 11, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I like to imagine commandos imagining themselves as paladins fighting a Holy War in the name of their god, but then they have to take a break because they ran out of cheetos or whatever.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

trucutru posted:

But imagine the possibilities! You can use your trusty space knife to cut another's commando air-hose then watch as they slowly die in front of you, while you stab their innards and a fine mist blood crystallizes into an almost immaterial zero-g sculpture to your power. Oh yeeeeah, that's the stuff.
Meanwhile a commando wearing nothing but a baseball cap and tightie whities spacewalks to your autism chariot by jetting steam from his nipples, clips through the canopy into the pilot seat and flies off into the sunset.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait until I can pierce my own oxygen tank to create some extra thrust in zero-G combat.

I can't wait to assassinate someone by switching their air supply with poison gas.

I can't wait until I have to manage different atmosphere compositions for the different races traveling in my space airline.

I can't wait to collect rare air from exotic planets.

With a well-developed breathing simulation the possibilities are endless, pledge now commando.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
They're nuts. That aside from the fact that it's all bullshit.

In LoD, right now, there is an oxygen meter that's monitored if you go under water. When you run out while under, you die. If you come up, it refills. Just like what happens if your jetpack runs out of energy; you fall to the ground.

And I have modeled oxygen in all my previous BC/UC games for the same reason, and it uses the same method. It works, and there is no need to reinvent the wheel or chase bullshit fidelity.

There is no reason for any oxygen modeling (which can use the same modeling they do for eva btw) like they're suggesting; let alone a new 'language' for any backend work. Of course, notice how they didn't even say what that is; other than give it a fancy name.

I think all of this is a ploy to justify the bullshit development and costs. And these devs are just pulling a paycheck now, without asking any questions.

Just as I took one look at a Summer 2015 update like this, then concluded that the project was hosed, which prompted my first blog; this update is just another nail in that opinion. Anyone reading this latest update and thinking, "yeah these clowns are making a game", and didn't ask for a refund, deserves to lose their money.

There is no way this game - as pitched - gets made.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Oh good I was afraid Line of Defense wouldn't be name-dropped on this page

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

They're nuts. That aside from the fact that it's all bullshit.

In LoD, right now, there is an oxygen meter that's monitored if you go under water. When you run out while under, you die. If you come up, it refills. Just like what happens if your jetpack runs out of energy; you fall to the ground.

And I have modeled oxygen in all my previous BC/UC games for the same reason, and it uses the same method. It works, and there is no need to reinvent the wheel or chase bullshit fidelity.

There is no reason for any oxygen modeling (which can use the same modeling they do for eva btw) like they're suggesting; let alone a new 'language' for any backend work. Of course, notice how they didn't even say what that is; other than give it a fancy name.

I think all of this is a ploy to justify the bullshit development and costs. And these devs are just pulling a paycheck now, without asking any questions.

Just as I took one look at a Summer 2015 update like this, then concluded that the project was hosed, which prompted my first blog; this update is just another nail in that opinion. Anyone reading this latest update and thinking, "yeah these clowns are making a game", and didn't ask for a refund, deserves to lose their money.

There is no way this game - as pitched - gets made.

Post your speedtest.net speeds

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I would post mine but :canada:

This poo poo and the prices you pay for it are shameful to be honest.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Star Citizen - My July Blog

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ayn Marx posted:

Oh good I was afraid Line of Defense wouldn't be name-dropped on this page

Well, pick another game that models what we're discussing then. What's stopping you, exactly?

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 11, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I need to upgrade. :eng99:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Tippis posted:

I need to upgrade. :eng99:

What did you do to get an upload speed like that? Or is my ~6 MB/S a wifi thing?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

^^This. All of it. ^^

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

his nibs posted:

^^This. All of it. ^^

That would doxx our location. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Kavak posted:

What did you do to get an upload speed like that? Or is my ~6 MB/S a wifi thing?

Wifi speeds are mostly symmetrical