Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Well, I can admit when I'm wrong: I predicted CR would make a "Chairman's Admonishment" this week. Instead he put his foot even farther up his esophagus.

Just stunningly out of touch with the mood of his community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

Well, I can admit when I'm wrong: I predicted CR would make a "Chairman's Admonishment" this week. Instead he put his foot even farther up his esophagus.

Just stunningly out of touch with the mood of his community.

He didn't even inform his citizens himself lol

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also of note: they STILL haven't addressed SSOCS outside of that one second-hand comment. Total radio silence on it.

I don't even know what SSOCS is!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Real development started in 2019.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

quote:

You will of course notice that our target Beta date for Squadron 42 has moved back by 12 weeks in today’s Roadmap update

Dear Clive and Keith, what do you make of all this? Do you feel as confident as the first day about your investment?

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Lladre posted:

Who does?

I am not a software engineer.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
I just love that you can walk away from this dumpster fire for months at a time and when you eventually come back you'll only be +/- three days from a refactoring. It could be a process refactor, a model refactor, a game mode refactor. It's so goddamn insane but it still somehow keeps trucking along...

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh good, he responded and gave examples!

SWTOR 200+ million budget, on an already existing engine (not new tech), not pushing the edge of tech, not investing in any ground breaking technologies. With an existing studio.

You're counting time that was CIG just ramping up their studio as part of full development time.

Oh, ok, established studios never ramp up initial development on a new project while focusing on finishing a previous one. So we can just magically shave a few years off of SC's dev cycle.

Starcraft II - 7 years dev time, with existing studio, not pushing tech. no distributed computing considerations.

Blizzard's notoriously slow dev time is well-known, and they're a well oiled machine not afraid to toss out years of work if it isn't up to their standards. So hey... That's ONE you can give to him.

L.A. Noire - 7 years dev time, with existing studio. not pushing tech, no distributed computing considerations.

LA Noire was a notoriously rocky development that required Rockstar to come in late in development to finish the game, and the creator was so horrible they never worked with him on another project again. And it ABSOLUTELY pushed facial mocap tech.

TF2 - 9 years. do i really have to detail how this game doesn't and never has pushed tech edges?

TF2's development was years of wasted time while they tinkered with ideas, didn't like them and dropped them to work on other projects, until someone came in with a new, good idea and built it from scratch in a VERY short time. It was certainly not in actual active development for 9 years.

Star Citizen can at best be said to be 5ish years into dev? when counting for studio ramp up time. and it makes those three projects look like child's play from a technical standpoint

[citation needed]

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also of note: they STILL haven't addressed SSOCS outside of that one second-hand comment. Total radio silence on it.

Kind of indicates that they'd be damned for telling the truth, but also the lie would be easy to disprove. If you were a suspicious bastard like me, at least.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Momma! Oooh-o-o-h! didn't mean to make you cry!

If they've not hit the goal again next year!

carry on

carry on

as if nothing really matters....

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lladre posted:

Its a real fancy made-up buzzword to make "coding a server for an mmo" sound harder than it is to explain years and years of terrible performance

All of this is a farce to hide that nobody at CIG can really do core-engine development, the entire "game" is just a hack demo on top of basic crytek functionality.

Dooguk posted:

Who does?

I am not a software engineer.

Even software engineers don't know what it is because its made up marketing bs.

I mean, its a thing, but in any other online game context it'd just be a given that its one of the requirements of your engine, and you'd solve it. It wouldn't be worth mentioning.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Star Citizen can at best be said to be 5ish years into dev? when counting for studio ramp up time. and it makes those three projects look like child's play from a technical standpoint

[citation needed]

Always challenge on the 'this is technically breaking new ground', because they're using someone else's engine on someone else's hardware with someone else's network.

I know some of the people running that hardware and network, and I've got some terrible news for the 'breaking new ground' people. They really aren't, outside of simplifying lambdas.

In fact, the 'microservice everything' mantra that they appear to be following was dropped by the rest of the industry for the uncontrolled contention that sets up, meaning that we've stepped back a ways to get monitoring and automation under control; a ballooning of complexity means that diagnosis time goes up for the remaining humans unless you get in front of the monster.

Even their recent talk about spin-up times for the nodes is _entirely in line_ with spinning up AWS instances; tip for you guys - keep standbys warm. It's literally how Apache works, it's how Netflix does it, it's how some of our more dynamic loads do it.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/StarPlaysGames/status/1167509317974732801

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

They are practically getting eaten alive in the Youtube comments :D

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

What is this even in response to?

I'm constantly surprised someone this childish has got an actual adult job.

And his 'lady friends'
And rock-climbing
And his CREDENTIALS
while being that Kazan

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Zaphod42 posted:

"Staggered Development" is just too good. This is a farce.

There's always money in the concierge backers.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Bofast posted:

quote:

You're really starting to slip CIG.

Some are really quick to catch on.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tsar Mikey posted:

There's always money in the concierge backers.

You cannot arrest a husband and wife for the same crime.
- Freyerbluth

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So now we get to read the tea leaves:

When did "Staggered development" start? Which patch is excusable for being extremely light? What do we reset our "Results expectation" clocks to this time?

The answer, of course is "It was always this way, everything is excusable, and the game will be out in exactly (year +1) or I'll eat my hat, goon."

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

MedicineHut posted:

Some are really quick to catch on.

Just watch, they'll reveal a new ship and all will be forgiven, yet again.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

Let me use this example: Imagine four quarterly patches on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the patch nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of patches and takes the place of the first patch. The formerly first patch becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Star Citizen's roadmap works the same way.

Zybourne Clock will always get a chuckle out of me.

Honestly SC's "dreams above all" development really reminds me of Zybourne Clock.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hello

• after many, many assurances that the crytek lawsuit would not proceed, chris & co are scrambling (no elaboration)
  • emails, contracts, recorded conversations and biz licences are being sent for review (legal review?)
  • Erin "extremely nervous" about outcome, although showing a "carefree attitude" around the office
  • "I know for a fact he doesn't want another Gizmondo on his hands. Once was enough."
  • aegis backer event: "Our goal was to be totally positive. We nailed it."
  • production on certain parts of the game are stopped completely until legal avenues are resolved
  • mostly that means engine and server improvements
  • this halt is scheduled to begin 9/3, but employees have known about it for some time
  • engine switch most likely in the cards, deep discussions about stadia/UE4 ongoing
  • "Anything made or built with CryEngine would be discarded and re-coded." including animations, models, maps, client and server side code, etc
  • "We'd have to redo a lot of work. It'd be worth it, because it's the only way forward."

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Bofast posted:

loving hell, that video is hilarious.

Erin: "Err, we realised over the last year that our super-realistic roadmap estimates keep slipping so we're making some new poo poo up to justify being late all the time".
John Crewe: "Yes, that's right, there's no point having thousands of features in a patch if they're just not fun and also we look like dicks if we can't deliver on basic features so yeah".
Eric Kieron Davis: "Keep loving me up the arse boys, and I'm sure I speak for the backers there as well".

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
AS A PRODUCT OWNER I

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

TheAgent posted:

hello

• this halt is scheduled to begin 9/3, but employees have known about it for some time
  • engine switch most likely in the cards, deep discussions about stadia/UE4 ongoing
  • "Anything made or built with CryEngine would be discarded and re-coded." including animations, models, maps, client and server side code, etc
  • "We'd have to redo a lot of work. It'd be worth it, because it's the only way forward."

Oh, this is just too perfect.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

TheAgent posted:

hello

• after many, many assurances that the crytek lawsuit would not proceed, chris & co are scrambling (no elaboration)
  • emails, contracts, recorded conversations and biz licences are being sent for review (legal review?)
  • Erin "extremely nervous" about outcome, although showing a "carefree attitude" around the office
  • "I know for a fact he doesn't want another Gizmondo on his hands. Once was enough."
  • production on certain parts of the game are stopped completely until legal avenues are resolved

I can't wait for the inevitable engine change and how backers will justify it.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

TheAgent posted:

hello

Well hey better late than never! (it's never)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

:psyduck:

What the ever loving gently caress is this?

I seriously cannot even begin to understand this. What in the gently caress are they doing?

This may as well be in Greek to me. That's... that makes no sense. Why on earth would you ever do that? Why... that's not how... how... WHAT?

As a software developer let me tell you that's perfectly normal. People work on future patches before finishing the actual one because there are no dependencies between them.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

I, and my 14 alts, have done my part here. Looking forward to my check in the mail from Derek.

All is going according to plan.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

To be slightly more nuanced while still retaining the “loving idiots” angle…

It is entirely normal to stagger releases. It's a pretty standard methodology. It's just that, at that point, you're not “working on different versions/patches” but simply working on different components, and whatever is ready for roll-out in any given release window is rolled into that release.

So the loving-idiot-angle is less about version interdependencies as it is about “well duh, this is exactly the same thing you've been doing all along, except you now have 6-month windows to be wrong about rather than 3-month ones… loving idiots.”

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

trucutru posted:

As a software developer let me tell you that's perfectly normal. People work on future patches before finishing the actual one because there are no dependencies between them.

Sheesh, I dunno, it's almost like they're making it up as they go along to placate an investor who has a sizeable sum in the project.

Erin totally doesn't sound like someone talking faster and faster to blind an investor with science and to promote a false sense of confidence in the project. No sirree Bob.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Even if these posts are completely made up, they're absolute gold

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Daztek posted:

He didn't even inform his citizens himself lol

Dude! Chris is busy doing more important stuff, like going to concierge sale events

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 30, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

trucutru posted:

I'm a software developer too (like half this thread is), and that's my point, its all so normal they should have been doing it all along.

Here's the part I don't get:

you're working on 1.6
someone else is working on 1.7

logical

you finish 1.6
now you work on 1.8 ?
why not work on the stuff for 1.7? I guess maybe the implication there was you don't have anything necessary for 1.7, but to me it sounds like the idea is each team will work on different releases.

Like the 1.6 team does 1.8 and 2.0 and the 1.7 team does 1.9 and 2.1. Which is dumb.

On the other hand, if its just "we aren't synchronizing all teams to working on the same deliverable" then how the gently caress did they spend the last 6 years doing that?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

hello

roflmao; they're going to have to migrate for real this time.

Edit: Wing Commander, $30 Million

pre:
Crazy Rich Asians 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$174,532,921 	 	 	$238,099,711
Chicago 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$170,687,518 	 	 	$306,770,545
American Pie 2 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$145,096,820 	 	 	$286,500,000
The Vow 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$125,014,030 	 	 	$197,618,160
Lee Daniels' The Butler 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$116,632,095 	 	 	$177,025,498
Remember the Titans 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$115,654,751 	 	 	$136,706,683
District 9 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$115,646,235 	 	 	$212,453,431
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$114,326,736 	 	 	$167,791,704
The Princess Diaries 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$108,244,774 	 	 	$165,334,774
Million Dollar Baby 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$100,492,203 	 	 	$231,928,227
Mystic River 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$90,135,191 	 	 	$156,822,020
Sisters 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$87,044,645 	 	 	$106,030,660
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Movie 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$85,416,609 	 	 	$142,051,255
Up in the Air 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$83,823,381 	 	 	$166,842,739
The Notebook 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$81,001,787 	 	 	$116,025,023
Hannah Montana the Movie 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$79,576,189 	 	 	$169,173,206
27 Dresses 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$76,808,654 	 	 	$160,247,805
Rugrats in Paris 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$76,501,438 	 	 	$103,284,813
The Hitman’s Bodyguard 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$75,468,583 	 	 	$172,778,667
Four Brothers 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$74,494,381 	 	 	$92,494,381
Legends of the Fall 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$66,502,573 	 	 	$160,502,573
Looper 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$66,486,205 	 	 	$170,466,405
Warm Bodies 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$66,380,662 	 	 	$115,121,608
About Schmidt 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$65,005,217 	 	 	$107,054,484
The Nut Job 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$64,251,538 	 	 	$122,529,966
Down to Earth 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$64,172,251 	 	 	$71,172,251
Hope Springs 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$63,536,011 	 	 	$133,085,295
Forgetting Sarah Marshall 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$63,172,463 	 	 	$105,173,042
Friday Night Lights 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$61,255,921 	 	 	$61,950,770
Baby Mama 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$60,494,212 	 	 	$64,170,447
Bride Wars 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$58,715,510 	 	 	$115,150,424
Without a Paddle 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$58,156,435 	 	 	$65,121,280
Midnight in Paris 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$56,816,662 	 	 	$162,502,774
Darkest Hour 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$56,443,120 	 	 	$150,807,172
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$56,068,547 	 	 	$197,593,152
P.S., I Love You 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$53,695,808 	 	 	$155,769,678
Corpse Bride 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$53,359,111 	 	 	$114,770,654
Life of the Party 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$53,059,911 	 	 	$65,759,911
Letters to Juliet 	 	 	$30,000,000 	 	 	$53,032,453 	 	 	$82,148,538
No word on wardrobe issues.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Hazamuth posted:

I can't wait for the inevitable engine change and how backers will justify it.

It probably is actually a good move though. I mean, they're switching engines because of legal reasons when they should have done it a while ago because of technical reasons, better late than never right?

There's really only a couple viable game engines that also provide the kind of developer support that they're likely looking for, so Unreal seems like a good choice (that they should have made 6 years ago).
I'm actually kind of surprised that they would be stressing out over the lawsuit. It's a money burner sure, but Crytek's case looks really weak from my uneducated perspective.

Fidelitious fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 30, 2019