Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

alphabettitouretti posted:

Despite many examples of their incompetence I still can't quite believe clown stimperium games messed up this badly. When did the mocapping start? 2014? And 3 years later not only is there little to no evidence of a game that uses it, they're still building and rebuilding ships and maps and apparently having to do even more mocap to make up for the total lack of planning and forethought. It's a colossal gently caress up and had to be a huge waste of money. Crobber's a loving liability.

They unironically say things like "best of all possible worlds" and nerds still gave them $140m.

This is extremely common, which is why all the professional IT people in this thread believe it happened, and are so sure that crobbers is incompetent and the project is going to fail. We've all worked with someone like this, and usually they are a perfect example of "they would need to learn a lot more to understand how bad they are"

Usually these kind of mistakes just cause delays as the workers fix the bugs. Except when the manager decides that he knows better than the people doing the actual work and causes more delays... that he then "helps" to fix again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Wrecked Angle posted:

Whoa! Hold the gently caress up guys. Let me have a go at having an earnest debate about Star Citizen with the obvious re-reg troll account. I'm great at this stuff, hold my beer!

PARRRRRRP!

If we don't encourage him, he won't post his nuts, and nobody wants to miss out on that.

This round is lacking a narrative though. I preferred the last few where there was a build - up before the reveal.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

TrustmeImLegit posted:

You shouldn't assume things. Like this just shows a basic illogic that plagues this thread.

You assume I am someone else
You assume I identify as He
You assume I possess testicles
You assume I have a narrative to push.
You assume this is a "new round"

This is sort of a nitpicky example.

If you make less assumptions in this case about Star Citizen. You can see things are going okay.

You are right about one assumption though. I do prefer encouragement. A major sign of mental illness is reveling in negative attention so I don't do that.

You're wonderful, never stop

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Say some more nice things about him Derek, I want to see if his head explodes.

Compliment him on seeing your point of view, maybe

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Lladre posted:

Those sculpts are so drat amateurish. A perfect example of CiG productions.

That's ok, because the photos are out of focus so you can't see how bad the model is.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
I'm getting "not authorised" on that twitter account, does that mean it is now private, or that I am blocked? I have posted zero tweets from my account, so I can't imagine why they would block me, but apparently everyone else can read them?

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Are you on mobile? Mobile browser twitter is dogshit and will randomly tell you it's broken, or you're banned, and the fix is to just refresh until it works.

That was it, I'm on mobile and refreshing a lot worked. Thanks!

(there was no cookie popup)

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
Weekly reports are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdering their lines just for entertainment. 

:roflolmao:

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

I can't follow the logic here.

Hackers: "we're thing to release details of your upcoming game to the press. It will be front page news"

Cdprojektred: "thanks?"

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 9, 2017

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

BeigeJacket posted:

I tried reading one of his years ago. A large portion of it was written phonetically from the viewpoint of some AI/android thing and it was just too mental for my feeble mind to handle.

You picked the worse possible Banks to start with, which is a shame.

I just reread "Great Sky River" by Gregory Benford, and I think you might like it. A bunch of augmented humans living on a post apocalyptic world near the galactic center try to survive being hunted by the mechs that destroyed their world.

quote:

Hav - Do you know if Fallen Dragon by Peter Hamilton is any good? Wiki says it's a one off book, as opposed to his gajillion page series.

It's good, but it read a bit like YA fiction.

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 22, 2017

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

RubberJohnny posted:

Why are they so bad at design?

They are bad at everything else, why would you expect the design to be better?

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Good summery. Despite appearance, I don't think that is supposed to be TP though. Each 'roll' larger than a man's forearm. Looks like some kind of bottle to me.

They're natural gas tanks for the BBQ and grill in the back.

I wonder if that thing was meant to be the engine?

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

XK posted:

You must provide government issued ID to alpha test our open development game that you already paid for.

the staff of RSI are collecting fake ids to use when they flee the country

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Drunk Theory posted:

Oh, it's at the end they announce it's a free fly weekend. Now any of us can experience 3.1 for free until the 16th.

....someone else do it, because I'm sure the hell not.

Im tempted to do this, to see how bad it really is.

How much will this screw up my computer when I go to uninstall it?

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Hav posted:

You're gonna be using all your bandwidth for a while to download, what, 40Gb?

I'm sure someone still has a gift copy of bad rats or you could try slamming your junk in a drawer for an hour for more immediate experiences.

Those are tempting alternatives, I guess they will fill in time while I am waiting for the download.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

VictorianQueerLit posted:

No, you see, it's not predatory at all when mentally ill people have raised the average for hundreds of thousands of people to be $300 with their tens of thousands of dollar purchases. The majority of people aren't being preyed on which means it's not predatory, somehow.

Also based on the proven fake demos that are obviously not real the game seems to be on track.

I'm loving the idea that a scam isn't a scam as long as you don't scam the majority of people involved. 49%? That's okay. We have a statistical majority that keeps the average amount stolen low everybody! We did it!

It is unethical to let a sucker keep their money. CIG is the only ethical actor in this scenario.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Bofast posted:

By that logic, someone should scam Croberts out of his money, too. Oh, wait, that's what CryTek are doing according to the dumbest of the backers, right?

Well, Crobbers scammed 200 million, and now has nothing to show for it, and Crytek is broke, so look to who ended up with the money.

It was Gollum, all along.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

Gamers were the group that were supposed to be above all this. Gamers were supposed to be "too smart to fool." And I'll be goddamned if the wool hasn't been pulled from my eyes forever, because if Star Citizen taught me only one thing, it's that the ego and self-importance of the "gaming community," and their collective belief that they were "ahead of the curve" intellectually and socially, has been proved 100% false by Chris Roberts. This community was fooled, and continues to be fooled, by a two-bit huckster who's not even bothering to hide his crimes.

If it weren't for this thread, I'd feel like the only sane man in an asylum.

These guys aren't gamers, they are grognards. Gamers want instant gratification, so they show up, devour the game like the content locusts that they are, then move on. Grognards spend hundreds of hours painting figurines for a 2-hour game that everyone agrees is actually not a lot of fun.

Grogs love the preparation and build-up, gamers love getting to the end.

Collecting spaceships hits the same good feeling as collecting minatures, and just like the minatures, the spaceships get played with about once every 6 months, if that.

And anyone with the imagination to pretend that pushing minatures across a table is actually Sergeant Ragefist leading his squad of Death Commandos against the ork horde, will have no problems imagining that delivering a box is a vital, top secret courier mission to save the galaxy.

Plus, after buying a couple of armies from Games Workshop, spending £150 on a space ship looks like a good deal.

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 15, 2018

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxxlrKlLO9g

In which Chris Roberts wonders if you can change your vector in space by rotating your body.

How the gently caress do you claim to dedicate your life to all things space sim and not understand that?

I get that zero g and orbital mechanics are not automatically intuitive to us since we spend our lives on a surface in the bottom of a gravity well, but it's not an exaggeration to say some kid who played KSP will understand space better than Chris Roberts.

Actually, Croberts is correct, but only by accident. You can use the same technique as cats do. Cats can rotate themselves while in freefall without touching anything.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_righting_reflex

Of course, because humans are less flexible and much heavier, we would have to flail our arms around like a coked up movie director trying to explain ... omg, he is a misunderstood genius!

e: how did you go from laughing at spaceships to arguing about armour so quickly

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 6, 2018

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

I think it's probably best to take him at his word, not speculate about him, and hope he finds something that makes him happy and that is also not a fake game scam. :unsmith:

I want to see the post that caused this sudden moment of clarity, and set all of his opinions 180 degrees to what they were.

A powerful post.

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 14, 2018

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Mr Fronts posted:

It was:

"Star Citizer is bad."

A truth that can shake people to the core.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Mr Fronts posted:

It was:

"Star Citizer is bad."

What can change the nature of a man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Hav posted:

Nipple-horns on a Primarch.

Seriously; I post a really interesting story on Coutts & Co entering the 'dumb investment' field and not a dicky bird.

There's not really a lot of places we can go with that right now. Coutts is entering the wild west of IT startups 20 years late and is clearly lacking any kind of in-house experience that could help them spot a lame horse, but the funny part is only going to happen when they try to get their money back.

And even that will probably be done in private, so I will just have to imagine an angry Cockney dunking Chris Riberts' head into a barrel of water while screaming "Where's tha fooking money, ya fooking muppet?!? "