Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Holy gently caress, who makes those videos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Xaerael posted:

Imagine being a backer trying to justify a game engine change 4 years into dev in a game that you've put four to five figures USD in and been trying to support in the face of growing displeasure and negative press.

Reddit is an incredible enabler. It may not really be that hard.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

$141 Million Dollars

One hundred one million. dollars.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What's new in star citizen?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Drunk Theory posted:

Have you seen the new schedule, it's pretty amusing in how unrealistic it is. Or the video about the making of that schedule...which is honestly pretty boring and I hate watching their media.
But keep in mind, they made a development video about the making of a schedule.

Okay.

*reads*

Okay.

Okay.

How do you not learn anything in six years?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hello!

I haven't been by here for roughly 12,000 posts. I want to join FLJK, I've wanted to join FLJK for a long time. You guys are great, the best, can I join?

Also did they seriously call their discord system "Spectrum?" You can't make this poo poo up.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Beet Wagon posted:

This is one of the most important things to remember when it comes to Republicans. Goons keep getting to the top of the roller-coaster and going "Oh boy this is the big one! It's all over now!" but it's because if anything we're being too generous in the way we think people will react. The reason the GOP isn't dead yet isn't because we're wrong about Trump being a steaming-fresh pile of poo poo, it's because for some people - a significant number of voters - there's no bottom, nothing the GOP could do that would merit pulling their support. These people honestly argue that what we have today is already the "best drat president" because their brains have holes big enough to park a zeppelin in.

I changed six words.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is that August burndown chart for real?

Because, Jesus, there is a serious management problem if that is actually their jira scrum board.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:ducksiren: Hey, does anyone have a link to a recording of Derek's Discord channel during the Gamescom 2017 Star Citizen demo? :ducksiren:

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 30, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ewe2 posted:

Why have one parp when you can have two?!

To celebrate absolutely nothing, I enlisted the lyrical aid of Propagandist and thatguy whose hard work I cheerfully archered to produce this poo poo:

* lyrics archered as abovementioned with my own sick burns
* parps!
* no kazoo was attempted in the production of this crap (but feel free to play along with yours)
* wacky synth!
* wackier singing!
* shout-out to discord goons who frankly enabled me and you should blame them.

Hold me.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ash1138 posted:

CIG people reading the thread: if there's any doubt that you need to start looking for a new job, start looking for a new job

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

D_Smart posted:

Meanwhile, over there. Happiness, Star Citizen, and you #notacunt

Cult Subreddit Mind Slave posted:

From the first time you heard about Star Citizens existence till now, I'd like for you to think about and share your most positive experience in or out of the game, related in some way shape or form to Star Citizen or CIG and the community. I even invite Mr Derek Smart to leave a comment if he'd like. Maybe he got to Chris and the team one day and that just made him overwhelmed with joy. Game devs, artists, content creators. In a world where it's hard to remember to take time to remember all that is right, I figured we needed something like this. I know none of you will be mean or try to troll (ha!) so I wanted to say thanks in advance. Think positive

Sweet Titty loving Jesus.

Have I mentioned there are a lot of similarities between r/t_d and r/starcitizen posting. Also, parallels between r/starcitizenrefunds and r/trumpregret. I'm not going to pretend that I academically know anything about extremism, but goddamn there seems to be a formula for slowly going over your head in a cult then snapping out of it later.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What is ELE?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Pretend I'm retarded, because I am. What does ele stand for?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I thought that scene where the guy in blue armor fighting the guy in bloody armor with an electric-sparking hammer while falling from a collapsing tower was unrealistic because they were not wearing helmets.

Then again, if the greenskin warboss was wearing a helmet during that boss fight, it would have been realistic but way too long for a game, so I can understand the need to balance historical realism with fun.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

tuo posted:

Then again, he seems to have lost quite a few pounds. That's good for him.

I'm not the only one to have the suspicion, then.

He looks like he's lost at least 20 compared to 2014.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Percelus posted:

if you are in the same state as derek maybe you two could setup a goonmeet :allears:

what, at a local storm shelter?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Can you emulate an 80486 in one of the Genesis Starliner's entertainment server nodes and play Wing Commander as it was intended to be played yet?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm sorry, but I don't see our justice system going after such a small fish with such a shaky premise for conviction.

Either the dollar value of damage or the certainty of wrongdoing needs to skyrocket.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What the loving gently caress is this loving poo poo about a loving $75m investment. Why the loving hell do you need more loving money? Weren't you going to loving make the loving game with $5m loving dollars?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sabreseven posted:

Lol, there's some weird people in the world. :D

I can actually understand markets marking up emergency supplies though, that's just good business when an act of nature happens. Supply and demand and all that good stuff. :)

As an aside though, global warming and global cooling are just natural processes that the planet goes through, solar activity has more to do with it than anything humans could possibly do, I laugh at the 'save the planet' types who think they make a difference to a planetary cycle that's billions of years old. It happens, nothing we can do to stop it or change it.

I don't think anyone can top Admiral Bek's troll this week, maybe don't try.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sabreseven posted:

I wasn't trolling :) Whats exactly so bad about accepting climate change as a normal thing, expected even?

You're hitting each of the top three of the most common myths propagated by climate deniers, so hey

https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

e:

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 7, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sabreseven posted:

solar activity has more to do with it than anything humans could possibly do, I laugh at the 'save the planet' types who think they make a difference to a planetary cycle that's billions of years old. It happens, nothing we can do to stop it or change it.

This is specifically incorrect at every level, but I am going to stop the derail here.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

holy poo poo twitter famous now

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

does climate change alter how long I should boil my ribs?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I am disturbed and concerned about the growing possibility that maybe ManofManyAliases is bad.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

eh, the heart of Pascal's wager is that you aren't losing much if you seek to believe in God and it turns out he doesn't exist

in the case of CIG and MOMA, I'd argue that $3000 is *not* materially insignificant loss in the scope of entertainment

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SomethingJones posted:

Everyone taking Pascal's wager has their own definition of what they mean by 'god'

Derek's definition of Star Citizen is 'Star Citizen as pitched'

Chris's definition is 'you can already download it'

A backer's definition is what I'm searching for.

God is flipping your helmet onto your face three times because the goddamn door won't open

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But *he* thinks its not significant, therefore...

...he's already set for retirement, has paid off all significant debts, and is clearly not wasting $3,000 that has objectively far more beneficial uses.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

derek, do it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The number of bugs is *increasing*

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

EminusSleepus posted:

missed deadlines

but landing on your feet, in control, ready to go at it again. 0/10 not at all representative of CIG

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Virtual Captain posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/6w1qr5/star_citizen_faceware_announcement/dm5cisw/

For example, Gears of War 3's pillars were: 1) The feeling of being stranded; 2) accessibility; 3) "stickiness" that kept players coming back to the game. 

So, if I was asked to define then manage development of 3 core pillars of the original Gears of War, I'd say, "New (at the time) cover-based paintball shooting, uniform visual and story asthetic, lots and lots of dedicated troubleshooting resources (this wasn't just a video game, but also the first major UE3 + Xbox Xenon technical project)." Get just those three right, first. So what if the story ends up lackluster, or models and environments are a little repetitive, and balance could have used another pass? GoW did have many deficiencies, but if they were the cost of getting necessary resources (and, by extension, cuts) dedicated to the core pillars, the game was better for it.

What I'm curious about is what is meant by the "stickiness" above. See, I'd be tempted to make the core pillars defined in very concrete and simple terms so they would be easier to focus on. I'm surprised to see something so amorphous as "stickiness" in there. What is that, and how do I keep the scope of "stickiness" from expanding and diluting to merely mean "overall fun" or "overall quality?"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I am beginning to think internet poster SC_White_Knight is over his head.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Berious posted:

nano nerf was the day the fun died :911:

Mate, fun died when microwarpdrives no longer stacked multiplicatively.

Cap-fit Ravens traveling 0.1 AU/s out of warp was the poo poo.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cool, so the defense is "Fake News."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Has anyone run the math on how magnificently expensive running the compute load of Star Citizen in the cloud is going to be?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Oh yes, fraud. You know, that thing that is relevant when nobody's money has been involved in anything.

I once photoshopped Arnold Schwarzenegger into a M*A*S*H VHS box cover, so I guess I'm guilty of fraud, bestiality, and impersonating a member of the clergy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Didn't you know you're engaging in HARASSMENT? :cthulhu: