Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Did Windows have any suggestions as to what the solution might be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

Maybe leave him out an apple, or some other fresh fruit, with a sign that says "Hey fatty, you're not getting in my minge until you are physically able to actually reach it with your shroom!"

Same amount of sugar in an apple as there is in a Krispy Kreme donut. ~10g, ~3teaspoons.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Hav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EcgruWlXnQ
Monty on the run. It has a loving guitar solo and the sickest groove this side of Minneapolis.

It is the Bohemian Rhapsody of chip tunes.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Just wondering...

When you buy fake jpgs you buy in USD?

When you refund you get USD back?

If you're outside the US, say UK, does that mean it's possible you could earn a tidy profit by refunding?

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Warhawk109 posted:

This happened to me when I refunded. All purchases were in USD, and made when CAD was close to par. My refund converted back to CAD when it was around 70 cents US. So yea I made out pretty good, but it was probably only breaking even in the end because I was a dumb subscriber.

Just as a quick calculation which may be well off...

Say you're in the UK and bought a ship at $500 in Sept 2013...

Exchange rate then was 0.64 GBP to 1 USD, so it cost you £320.

Exchange rate today is 0.77, and so refunding today would net you £385.

A nice £65 profit. :eng101:

I have no idea how that compares to say sticking it in a bank.

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 14, 2017

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Taken down : http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-backers-obtain-a-45000-refund/

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

google cache : http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-backers-obtain-a-45000-refund/

The last line "We've reached out to Cloud Imperium Games for comment, and will update this article if we hear back."

Which implies a notification from PCGamer to CIG about the article going up.

So presumably a response and an "update".

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Dude sounds like he's on the verge of a heart attack.

He seems like he would be a joy to work for.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

G0RF posted:

Isn't it interesting to listen to Erin in that Burndown, though. The ad hoc panic-scramble that has typified their Game Dev process for years is manifestly obvious from his bizarre pep talk with the befuddled LA Devs.

From ~8:48, that baldy dev certainly seems to have some questions about what Erin is proposing.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

chochmah posted:

From the last AtV while the guy on the right explains how you only have to pull on a thread to create a bugfixing-cascade.

Who is this guy?

Is it possible to be introduced to all the main characters in this comedy show please?

Some of us only know the lead actors, Croberst/Sandi/Mr Smart etc...

Is there an entry on IMDB?

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Quavers posted:

So that's a private subreddit with stories of people getting their :10bux: back?

Presumably they are busy filling up the Reddit with fake posts like SC Refunds has.

Then they will unveil it and inform PCGamer and Ars Technica about it which will cause an avalanche of SA refunds.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Crazypoops posted:

morale looking good

Heh Ben Parry wearing an Elite Dangerous T-Shirt there.

I mean, well why not.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Cymelion having trouble accepting that he is a second class citizen.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Derek Smart has been trying to ruin Chris Mar.... Roberts since the mid 90s

Like a Ferenji(??)

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

On the choice of CrYeNgInE.

Clearly Cryengine's having trouble coping and yes it's clear it was a lovely choice.

But would it be fair to say, for the originally proposed Kickstarter, Cryengine was probably actually a reasonable proposition?

That had the scope not expanded, all that have been proposed was absolutely achievable using Cryengine?

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Yes. It's clearly discussed in The July Blog

Aye interesting.

It's the notion that Cryengine was actually a decent choice for the original proposition that I find interesting.

Folk often slate CIG going with Cryengine but the reality is there was probably no issue with that (given the original scope).

But then scope creep, and in the rush to promise the world no technical vetting was ever done to verify what was being promised was actually acheiveable.

I mean if you can do one base, then why not 100 in 100 systems, it's all just more of the same right?

You can see this line of thinking when Chris talked about networking.

I don't have the link but I remember him talking about getting 10 in an instance, then 20 then 50 then 100, then jumping to 1000 and even 10,000. Like it's just more of the same.... easy!

SC really does seem to be a case of Chris Roberts not understanding game development.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Anyone posting about pineapple on pizza, would get a 30 day

If you get in you will have to ban yourself

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

aleksendr posted:

Art dept : We want a 3d Printer
IT dept (me) : What kind of 3d printer ?
Art dept: Thinkerine Ditto Pro.
IT dept : You sure ? You cant do much except small pieces in PLA with it.
Art dept: Yes ! We want to print small plastic starships for a project
IT dept : Ok. i wil set you up a 2h training period with the manufacturer and send a IT tech over for the first print
Art : No need ! We know 3D printing !
IT : Ok dog. (sent email to my boss titeld : Art dept refused training on new 3D printer)

<2 week pass ,meanwhile printer is purchased, delivered, set up and tested on site by IT, all 100% in the green. Test print benchy boat sitting on my desk with signed work order>

<Morning after delivery>
Art : Hello, IT ? One of the 3d Printer motor is not working anymore and we cant take the print from off the glass bed...
IT : The motor.. Wait.. How cant you take off the print ? At worst just take off the blue tape.
Art : What tape ?
IT : You moth****

Sometime i feel like i'm working for CIG.

I don't get it, what happened?

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

thatguy posted:

Twitter has increased the character limit to 280.

May Derek have mercy on our souls.

They did? That is good!

I honestly feel the world is in the state it is nowadays thanks to Twitter's lovely 140 character limit.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Taintrunner posted:

Should I get a DAC for gaming on my Audio-Technica ATH-M50x? What does it do, exactly?

Get this : https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-sdac-dac-amp

It is legitimately a bit of a bargain if you are genuinely looking for a DAC/AMP.

(also use my referrer if you do CIG style (staying on topic) : https://www.massdrop.com/r/XLMXET)

edit: Estimated ship date is Jan 5, 2018

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 28, 2017

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

What is it another lovely hoverbike??

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

My rear end gets this:

And I am deaf, what a world

I keep wanting one of those, then look at the £180 price and have second thoughts.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

One of the best things I have, thought it was going to be a gimmick but was so wrong. I know that doesn't help!

Does it make the people downstairs angry?

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

These hoverbikes.

Presumably because CIG don't have the surface working properly so everything has to hover 10m above.

edit: I must post cat?

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 28, 2017

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

To be honest I'm thinking the hoverbikes is a sign of what CIG will deliver.

So some sort of planetary traversing arrives, but there's no way to traverse. :(

Unless you pay real life money's. :)

This is why more lovely hoverbikes.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Blue On Blue posted:

How pissed do you think Sandi gets everytime Chris appears on tv and she doesn't

Interesting that they used a still of CRoberts and a moving shot of the others.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

https://go.twitch.tv/thedereksmart

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

quote:

Beet_Wagon: <message deleted>
famousbwd: <message deleted>
beet_wagon is now banned from this room.

:lesnick:

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

:v: double reversed inverted-blog trolled :v:

But seriously, I think people's hurt over a campy TV franchise funny. There's some serious rose colored memories going on when people discuss Star trek.

Yeah I don't get it.

I thought the new Star Trek was good.

In context :

- I like original Trek (though am a bit young for that)
- Stark Trek Next Gen was awesome (though some episodes have not aged well)
- Deep Space 9 loving rocked, though not rewatched
- Star Trek Voyager was the loving worst
- I dislike the JJ Abrams films, they suck

But new Star Trek is good.

And the Klingon moans, it was the same when Battlestar Galactica came out.

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 1, 2017

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Viscous Soda posted:

IIRC the first thing I searched for was Game Genie codes, followed by shareware games. Of course, the first access to the internet was on a public computer in my High school's library, so that might have had something to do with the G rated nature of my Altavista searches. Once I got a dial-up connection at home, well...

Yeah I spent so much time searching for variants of chess games.

What happened.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Wow, this has become like a Shitizen thread.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

XK posted:

If I need to read your digital manual to play your game, you've already hosed up.

It just means you're doing a simulation.

When you try to base a game on "how it works in real life" then poo poo starts to get complicated pretty quickly.

Something like Elite Dangerous is a decent example, a poo poo tonne of keyboard bindings, but IMHO it's required. This can be difficult for people with short attention spans.

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 1, 2017

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Eldragon posted:

Please tell me more about how elite simultates things as they work in real life. :allears:

Which aspect?

I mean going right to the deepest level of it, for ED it starts with an assumption that death is the ultimate punishment.

And right from there, right at that stage it all fucks up, and so to make the system "work" then requires layers of complexity adding on top.

This is how you end up with Suicidewinders, and griefers, and all the non-obvious and confusing rules coming in with 2.4, rules which are gonna require either a manual or community support to understand.

Powerplay is probably another good example of trying to keep it "real" resulting in it becoming overly-complex, confusing, and so requiring some sort of documentation to understand.

The BGS too, again the background sim tries to simulate what would actually happen when systems go into war, or famine, and is pretty inaccessible to players, except those that sit and "read the manual" on it.

In the end a game and a simulation are at odds, because ultimately it fundamentally IS a game.

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 1, 2017

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Everything was always better when you were 15 to 28. I don't know why. I don't know why our minds do that. But they do. They gently caress with us so loving hard.

Did you ever tickle a dog outside the supermarket?

Young dogs are always super into it, like "Oh yeah!! I made a new friend, and I'm getting a loving tickle!!"

But the old dogs just look at you like "*sigh* i am not enjoying this, please go away" :(

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 2, 2017

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

D1E posted:

I can't believe this infant was ever an SA moderator.

Those of you who proudly call yourself "Greenies" and follow Derek around on his pathetic personal forum and moderate his Twitch streams are almost as sad as he is.

He should be remodded IMHO.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Rugganovich posted:

No.
The old rule of thumb of 1/8th output impedance to headphone rule.
So as long as your amp can output 31.25 Ω, you're golden.

What means this?????

So I have one of those Objective2 amps. Not the jdlabs one but they're all the same, on their page it says :

quote:

LOW OUTPUT IMPEDANCE

Objective2's extremely low output impedance ensures transparent frequency response for all headphone loads.

So low impedance is good (or bad)??

Or maybe you want as low as possible but within 1/8th?

On the tech specs bit (https://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/) it says "Output Impedance 0.54 ohms".

So I can only drive a 4 ohm headphone?

The headphones I have (ATH-40X) are 35 ohms it seems. :confused:

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Toops posted:

I'm free!!!

Golly, today sure has been an emotional rollercoaster.

In an effort to get back on topic, I thought I'd post some bullet-points that summarize my feelings about "long-lived branches" and why I dislike them. CIG constantly reveals their process as "big bang integration" when they describe how painful their "merge" and "integration" efforts are. That means CIG develops each portion of their code on a long-lived branch, then merges them all together when it's time to release. In my experience this is a terrible practice, and almost always leads to huge clusterfucks, merge conflicts, ulcers, bugs, magically disappearing code, arguments, delays, finger-pointing, more bugs, sickness, broken wrists, late software, bug fixes that cause more bugs, and even later software.

Source: A really good blog post from the minds at NewRelic, a service I have often used and enjoyed.

- Merging Your Code Back in Frequently == Communication with Your Team. The longer you "hide" your chances in your branch, the less you communicate, and the more likely it is that your changes will break code that other people rely on.

I struggle with this at work.

Ultimately our merges revolve around code review, there's this trade off between between getting stuff back into main quickly to avoid the inevitable conflicts and not wasting people's time by having them review multiple pull requests (where the code may change).

In the end if what you're working on is reasonably big then it seems hard not to stay out of main for a decent time.

I mean you can break it up and work in parts then push those, but given all these parts are likely related, you're just then looking at have to make changes to what you've already merged in.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

TheAgent posted:

just loving permaban D_Smart

I'm over his poo poo

quote this if you agree

my vote goes for permabanning anyone on Derek's block list

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

TheLastRoboKy posted:

And most of us paid 10 bucks to be here.

Yeah about that, can I get a refund.

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Well this alone was worth $10.