Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Star Marine is good now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Angry Wife threatening to cut StarCitizen Streamer WiFi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-nDvenum1g

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

You can't rush greatness.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7361850/#Comment_7361850

"If you are waiting for magical programming to happen, you'll be waiting a long while. CIG is trying their best and working hard to get things done. I read your post obviously, but I don't think you understand the scope of the development if you believe closing your wallet crack the whip on them.. Patches will get released as they get released. There really are some things you just cant totally rush."

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

"Thanks for the configuration tips"

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

I am nopecat. Clearly my sarcasm went over their head.

The Titanic posted:

Aw man. He forgot:
code:
ENABLE_COMPLETE_GAME = 1;
OVERLAY_CODE_ON_IDEAS = 1;
These guys might not know as much about game development as they think. I think they need to go back to Roberts Space University and actually finish their degrees instead of just say they have one. Everybody knows that only works in marketing and marine biology.

Jason Sextro posted:

yeah I wonder if that guy has ever told anyone they don't understand game development

Mr Fronts posted:

pgabz, look at all these people hacking their cfg files! Look what you've done - you should be ashamed of yourself.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

I have made a copy of the stream and uploaded as unlisted

https://youtu.be/Vg_ZcA1dwu0

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Unfunny Poster posted:

Someone tell me more about these blankets from Sri Lanka.

I was wondering what she was talking about. So i did not imagine it, it was about Sri Lanka blankets...

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

ArfJason posted:

A) Im not fyad
B) yeah im sure to get boundless fame for trying to better the people in the star citizen mock doxx zone thread in somethingawful
C) this isnt a laughing matter. I got doxxed and sent death threats, and you people had your ex mod doxx people and you all encouraged him. Somehow hes still allowed to post while i get probated for calling you all out on how obsessive and creepy it is to spend months tracking peoples post histories on reddit and remembering their names off of sheer routine.
Please stop doxxing, sending death threats, jacking off to space ships drawn as humans (seriously?), and stalking people online.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Already in so deep i might as well spent my 401k on spaceships and sell a kidney to get even more.

quote:

I feel the same way but hey I have already spent about $2000 so it doesn't really matter if I spent more or not.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

ArfJason posted:

I repeat, you guys need to be so obsessed about the game, and must stop doxxing people who like it immediately, or the people calling you out. Contrary to popular opinion it is not normal to spend months reading every single reddit post about the bad space game, especially when you dislike it so much.

Oh the irony...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&userid=179334

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Xaerael posted:

What is odd for me this year is I usually have an "Xmas MMO". Nothing at all has grabbed me this year, so I'm really wondering if the MMO industry is on it's last legs, with people favouring "pick up and play" games like Overwatch.

They are very dead because they are trying to cram the "pick up and play" into a genre that is incompatible with the "instant gratification" generation.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

When even ABH is not giving them any more monies...

quote:

You make many valid points. I was all set to buy another package/character slot. Not so much now.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Xaerael posted:

I think the only Sub based MMO that's doing well and still seeing notable growth is FF14. But FF14 is a pretty drat good MMO with excellent gameplay, eye candy cutscenes and update patchnotes that take an afternoon to read.

I mean, try to imagine crobbler pulling off a piece of narrative like this (pretty old) cutscene, which features dialogue free storytelling, mocap done right, and a studio confident enough to admit they hosed up their first try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h542YbZuwkQ

FF11 still going strong and much better than FF14.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Hobold posted:

I recently started playing XI again on a private server, set around the 2008 era. Soo much more fun that most of the poo poo out there.

Yupp, poo poo is hard and fun. There are level 75 cap Linkshells on the official server doing the same. Works nicely since you need to do the level cap quest to go above 75.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

XK posted:

A lot of the responses to this are people calling it an opinion. Not being able to login. The few who are getting that it's a bug, are saying that's what he should expect when trying to play 2.6 on the PTU, totally forgetting that they're on the loving bug report section, and completely missing that he's trying to play 2.5.

lol if CIG not only makes 2.6 subscriber only over the holiday pause, but also breaks 2.5.

Incompetence is running wild at CIG HQ. How they break older versions that should be completely isolated is a mystery.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

A: There is no separation between 1st and 3rd perspective. If you can see it so can everyone else.
B: But it's not working. Last time i check it's just a placeholder texture.
A: Correct, that is to be expected. It would be ridiculously inefficient to do that.

:bang:

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Daz reminded me I haven't been fulfilling my obligation to the thread haha.

Kayak went hiking today and couldn't handle being on a platform over a waterfall, it was awesome.

Hopefully this works, the Awful app is in fact awful.

e: there we go that should fix it

BUSTED!

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

On request of @dsmart#8647 i shall leave this here

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

XK posted:

It's not even clear what Amazon's active involvement in this is. CIG literally could've just grabbed Lumberyard and ran with it, using Amazon's public terms, without any real active role on Amazon's part.

I don't believe that's what happened. I can't imagine there wasn't some kind of arrangement made.

However, Amazon hasn't said a word. Not a press release, a single sentence of acknowledgement, or even a CIG logo on any Lumberyard oriented pages.

God forbid, if someone at Amazon made any kind of deal with CIG where CIG gets money from Amazon, that person should be fired, and I want their job.

Amazon just wants the AWS deal in case StarCitizen is successful. They basically competing with Google and taking StarCitizen from google is a win for them. They have no interest in helping CIG with their game or even implementing special features for it. Amazon is in the Engine business to sell AWS licenses not to deliver a good engine.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Fain80 posted:

And....

I am out of this poo poo show.

My farewell post:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/365712/disappointed/p4

Holy Christ it feels great! It's like a huge burden has been lifted.

Gratulations, you did the right thing. No game is worth that much money, even if you can afford it. Buy it when it comes out and go crazy in the cash shop that will surely be there even if CIG says now that it wont.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

I have a hard time believing they have anything planned six weeks in advance

:five:

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

A little under two years of real development.

quote:

Well '12 and '13 were start up years, June '14 AC went live, and there the game first truly became playable, so a little under two years of real development, i think they are making fair progress for the time being. Im ready to wait another 5 years, then we have reached the Fallout 4 development time, and that was with a studio and a publisher already set up.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7540449/#Comment_7540449

Ben "Puma" Lesnick

Risc1911 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 23, 2017

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Kosumo posted:

Scuffpuff is Toast is MoMa :smuggo:

My doxing here is done, I'm off to doxxs some new born babies and teach them not to have names.

or genders because doctors get that wrong all the time.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Best part: My user on the ED Forums is also Risc1911. How he came up with me being this psyron guy i don't know.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

This is about Ashes of Creation but it's just too good not to share. Enjoy

quote:

As long as there is no evidence in the form of an official financial statement, the 30 million simply do not exist and all we know is that he will have whatever Kickstarter brings in. You can chose to believe him, just like you can chose to believe in Unicorns. There is no evidence to support his claim and therefor from a scientific and logic standpoint there are no $30 million.

quote:

The same applies to you though. You have no proof that he doesn't have 30 million. So right now he does have the 30 million logically. Right now it is in a state of Schrodinger's Millions. I never claimed to have proof. I just believe him.

You are acting like you have some logical high ground when it isn't true. You can not have proof of something and it still exist.

Because we don't have proof of how gravity works does that mean it doesn't exist?

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/464283/this-looks-like-a-repeat-of-greedmonger-sprinkled-with-starcitizen

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

D_Smart posted:

I hope he mispoke because if there is only one Sun, that's not a galaxy, it's a star system.

In fact, the starmap shows that they have Sol starsystem. And Stanton system, which they are supposed to be building out, has its own star, Terra Nova.

I think what he meant is they have one global light that acts as the sun. They don't have "real" suns that emit light. I also bet they don't have planets that move around said suns.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Waiting for the spergs to realize that when the game releases in any shape or form commercially and the loan has not been paid back the backers will not get their copies unless the bank gives their consent because as long as this floating charge is present the bank owns the game and every copy of it as per 4.2.1 of the loan agreement.

4.2.1 all copies made or to be made of the Game; and 4.2.2 the Game Assets and the Distribution Rights; and

Also, stirring up some poo poo on https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/6j9omh/150_million_crowd_funded_starcitizen_puts_the/

Risc1911 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 24, 2017

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

I made a thing

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Breetai posted:

Why 3.01 is hosed, or 'if you want mining, first you must create the universe'.

Allow me to describe a simple scenario from a decidedly non-fidelitous and inferior space game, Elite, which is naturally a pale shadow of what the best space game ever is going to be in terms of complexity and realsim. Please bear in mind therefore that the following represents below an acceptable level of fidelity: :siren:In order to meet the expectations of backers, Chris needs to deliver a gameplay experience that is somehow deeper than this.:siren:

I want to mine some space rocks.

Part 1: I outfit my ship.

Mining at its very basic level requires a few key things: the ability to break off materials from the rocks surrounding them, the ability to process them into something useful, and the ability to store and transport them. I equip my ship with mining lasers, a refinery, and a cargo bay. But I like quality of life improvements as well: it would be nice if I could improve the yield of everything I'm mining, so I buy a controller for prospector limpets (drones that burrow into the asteroids I'm mining and tell me about their composition, and increases the amount of minable material I'm able to get off of a single asteroid), as well as one for collector limpets (drones that fly out and pick up individual hunks of rock so that I don't need to fly my ship over to every single one in order to scoop them into my cargo bay). I also think that I might need protection from people trying to pirate my goods: because I don't want to be a sitting duck, I equip my ship with a hanger bay so that my buddy can patrol a fighter around while I'm busy with rocks and keep hostiles off my tail.

Things required for the mining loop so far: Mining equipment. Refining equipment. Materials storage. Equipment for scanning minable bodies. Equipment for retrieving ore. Woking multicrew. Hostile enemy ships dedicated to pirating miners. Mechanics by which ships can liberate enemy cargo while in combat with them so as to avoid just blowing the cargo up while fighting.

Part 2: I work out where to go mining.

I open up my galaxy map and figure out where to go in order to start making some sweet, sweet spacebux. I notice that a nearby star system has a bunch of worlds with metallic ring systems, which usually has better prospects for mining. I travel there. Around one gas giant there's a pristine ring system that has one of each resource zone: a low-traffic zone which has smaller yields but less people zooming around in it and which would be generally safer, a high-traffic zone that has lots of people in it because the mining's good, and a hazardous zone which may have the best prospects, but which has no police presence due to the fact that it's in a black spot for distress calls - a real Wild West scenario. I decide to go to the high-traffic zone: I'm equipped enough to deal with a few pirates that might try to harass me and can last long enough for the cops to get there if I start to get overwhelmed.

Things required for the mining loop so far: Mining equipment. Refining equipment. Materials storage. Equipment for scanning minable bodies. Equipment for retrieving ore. Woking multicrew. Hostile enemy ships dedicated to pirating miners. Mechanics by which ships can liberate enemy cargo while in combat with them so as to avoid just blowing the cargo up while fighting. Multiple star systems. Multiple worlds with varying types of resources, richness in resources, and types of mining zones. Multiple minable material types. AI miners to populate zones. Police presence, and the notion of high and low-security zones.

Part 3: I go mining.

I launch and engage my frameshift drive to travel to my targeted star system, and fly there. I boost towards the planet's ring and drop in to the metallic asteroid zone. Finding a likely asteroid that doesn't have anyone else mining it, I blast it with my mining laser, and target the chunk of rock that comes off of it. Cobalt. poo poo. I find another asteroid, and repeat. This one has a fair amount of gold content, so I launch a prospector limpet at it, and start mining, launching collector limpets as I go. I pirate jumps in and scans my hold: finding gold there he attacks. My buddy in the fighter and I fight back, and kill him with an assist from a police cruiser: safeguarding my days' work, and getting a small bounty reward into the bargain as it's not that guys' first rodeo. Finally when my hold is full I boost out and head back to my space station. But I realise that the station I'm heading to is an agricultural one, and has little use for gold. I locate a station with more of a bent towards precious commodities and go there instead. Finally I sell my mined materials, repair my ship from the damage it took in the battle, and plan my next move. My buddy gets a chunk of the profits.

Things required for the mining loop so far, hyper turbo extended edition:
  • Mining equipment.
  • Refining equipment.
  • Materials storage.
  • Equipment for scanning minable bodies.
  • Equipment for retrieving ore.
  • Woking multicrew.
  • Hostile enemy ships dedicated to pirating miners.
  • Mechanics by which ships can liberate enemy cargo while in combat with them so as to avoid just blowing the cargo up while fighting.
  • Multiple star systems.
  • Multiple worlds with varying types of resources, richness in resources, and types of mining zones.
  • Multiple minable material types.
  • AI miners to populate zones.
  • Police presence, and the notion of high and low-security zones.
  • Planets with ring systems.
  • AI miners.
  • Minable bodies with differing materials and levels of richness.
  • Scanning minable materials to determine their composition.
  • The ability to scan other ships to determine if they are worth pirating.
  • A fully-formed bounty system.
  • A fully-formed universal economy that provides incentives to sell different commodities to different buyers.
  • Repair and re-arming systems.
  • A profit-sharing system for multicrew.

I could go on, and frankly there's a bunch of stuff that I've likely missed because this is something that I'm typing up in my free time as I shitpost on the internet. But look at how many dependencies the mining loop that a comparable game has. And look at all of the dependencies I've listed and think about how many of them would have multiple dependencies of their own.

At that game's current state, assuming that all of the game-breaking bugs in the current build were solved overnight, that whatever they're doing with mining it planned to a tee, and a competent dev team with unlimited funding took over, Star Citizen could have a mining gameplay loop that rivals the inferior nonfidelitous space madness simulator Elite: Dangerous by 2019 at best.

:five:
good effort post

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Mr.Tophat posted:

If I was going to trust anyone to do a season pass correctly, it would be Nintendo.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I can understand some DLC, but it's a cart before the horse kind of situation half the time nowadays.

The new Shadow of Mordor game is practically a check list of terrible practices involving pre-order, DLC, loot boxes, season passes...and a DLC that is a tribute to one of the developers who passed away, which they are charging five dollars for, and only send a portion of that money to charity...but only if you're in certain states. It's hosed.

In ten years time gamers are going to laugh at this kind of thing in the same way the ultra-sexist and alienating advertisements games companies produced are laughed in our time. I hope.

It's disgusting.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Taintrunner posted:

There's some really dumb opinions in this thread trying to justify the ideal that humans can burn waste into the atmosphere on an increasingly massive scale over the course of centuries and not expect any ill effects for it.

Thankfully, facts are not a democratic institution and we can push back from the brink by building the political momentum to clamp down on the 100 for-profit, irresponsible corporations responsible for over two-thirds of current toxins dumped into the atmosphere: https://www.theguardian.com/sustain...-climate-change

If not, your grandkids will have a high likelihood of dying holding their kids in some nightmarish hell of an event that was entirely preventable. Much like Star Citizen is a result of one delusional hack fraud's insistence he can create the ultimate space game and reclaim his past glory, but with near unlimited resources can only slap together a buggy, broken, shambling mess of a scam, our current lurch to an uninhabitable environmental hellscape is the result of a rich elite few deluded into believing only the endless pursuit of greed and private profit will advance humanity forward.

:worship:

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I feel like they started off with good intentions. Even being honest and promising to show the financials so people can see where the money went into development in case they failed to deliver on day X.

But then something happened. The kickstarter ended, but the money kept flowing in. It's like a money well just got discovered, and it's spewing money everywhere!

It was a slow transition, but I feel like the company shifted from "We can make money by making and completing this game!" to "We can make money by making this game!"

The whole "making a game" thing is still there, but the whole "finishing and completing" it aspect is basically gone. Even with CRs brute incompetence, any developer actually wanting to finish a game would have had more progress than they have had. They are effectively throwing super pretty art into tutorial-grade Crysis maps, none of which have any semblance of a gameplay loop outside of their very specific scripted segment.

The "pretend progress" is all of your hours and hours of white noise. "Surely they are working hard, look at all this stuff!!!"

But then you see nothing about gameplay. Lots of animation stuff, motion capture, the same cafeteria scene they've been working on for probably over a year now... no logic except "we think" and "we're looking into" and the like. Nothing is nailed down anywhere. Even the so called mmo part is a mere arena shooter. There is no actual game.

So barring the shell companies and the shifty lies and the never-ending sales of products nowhere close to getting anywhere... i guess the question about "Is it a scam?" could only be answered if we knew their mindset and thinking; which we may never.

Outside of that, is the core change from:

Finishing and selling a game to profit.

To:

Building a game with no end of development to profit.

A scam?

How many new dlc items that are not implemented and may never be does it take to constitute a scam? Is the promise of "we're working on it, really!" good enough to evade them from scam territory? Should they have "or your money back if not integrated by xx/xx/xxxx?" to prevent a scam; or is the mere consideration that they will maybe someday include this is the future good enough?

My opinion is that once the scope of the project shifted from "finish to get $$$" to "make to get $$$", it became a scam, only because they do not have any sort of plan for how they will survive as a company after it's done.

Because CIGs purported end goal (finish the product) could only lead to the destruction of the company, it's a scam, in my opinion. This open ended "fund my life" type stuff is just another form of a scam.

This is a good description how Early Access and Crowd Funding has been working for the last 10+ years. Rarely do you see a game actually getting to a polished and finished state. It's about making money while developing and when it gets stale and the money stops flowing in the project is released as finished and developers move on. This is the world we live in now. From Pre-Order to Early Access to Pay for Alpha and pray it will eventually be finished.

Good post though!

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

ahmini posted:

Personally, I think the CRobbler genuinely believed (and continues to believe) that all his promises were easy. The man is totally detached from the reality of developing a AAA game and cannot understand why his developers are having extreme difficulties delivering something that isn't a janky horrible mess. The now-infamous livestream of CRobbler attempting to play Star Citizen revealed a person largely disinterested in any actual game play details. He probably believes that all you have to do to turn out the BDSSE is be a "visionary" and imagine a "world", then create fancy 3D models to match that. Animations are similarly trivial to the CRobbler; supposedly being a mere automated process of funneling mocapped data from all his movie making adventures into actual in-game animations. AI? "Not important, it was easy in Wing Commander." Network code? "What's taking so long? Surely the 'cloud' solves all those problems? Why are you bringing me problems and not solutions?" And so on...

So, on that level it's difficult to call SC a fraud as self-delusion is not a criminal act. However, where the fraud is being perpetuated now is that the game is obviously not "fully funded" as was claimed in the past and CRobbler has failed to update backers to enlighten them to the new reality (that ongoing development is increasingly dependent on a high level of continued ship purchases). This is deception by omission and one the backers could conceivably call him out on if they ever actually loving organised themselves and demanded to see the books rather than acting like weird cult disciples.

It's hard to say if this was done with malicious intend right from the start. I have the feeling it was. If you take a look at Chris Robert's past, his friends and their continued quest to acquire money through borderline illegal methods using shell companies, grants and tax incentives, one could actually come to the conclusion that this was not planned but at least intended as a standard Early Access fraud. By standard i mean: "Ride the wave of nostalgia and fame of a video game dinosaur to extract a million or two from gullible fans" (see Lord British, Molyneux etc.) With no intention of ever producing a really quality product.

On the other hand you could be right too and CR is really a sad delusional man-child that has never really programmed and never caught up with the times on how complex game development is these days.

I hope that when this comes to a conclusion, there will be an investigation what exactly went wrong. I am a firm believer that no matter the intention, Chris Roberts dug his own grave as this will never live up to the standards and will go down in history as the biggest crowd funding failure. I fully expect documentaries resulting from this.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

to clarify, I don't think Lando is actually some kind of true-hearted whistleblower. He just looks insanely close to snapping every time he's on camera. I think that dude's under a lot of stress. But to be fair, Lando 'snapping' might not equal juicy secrets so much as it equals a 30 minute video of him eating donuts in his underwear or whatever.

Lando is a disturbed man-child that regrets his whole life. He is really close to snapping and losing it. If you remember the famous video with him, some other guy and the poor woman (Sophiegurl) he later stalked, you can see what a sad human being he really is, rambling 30+ minutes about all the video game nostalgia and merchandise he owns and collects sitting in the middle of it all surrounded by all those useless trinkets.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

What the heck was that about?

Lando trying to get his dick wet by impressing a streamer girl (Sophiegurl) with his videogame merchandise and his undivided attention (stalking).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

He also like hinted that he could get her a job with CIG and poo poo, right?

I think it was more of an implied thing, kinda like: "If you touch my wrinkly old dangly bits i can help you with your streaming and maybe more." I am foggy on what exactly went down and what kind of real evidence there was but i would not be surprised if he did dangle his position and a job in front of her as bait.

Risc1911 fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 5, 2017