Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

mdxi posted:

So there I was, haulin' 27 deciLesnicks of X'ian Pearl Cream from the Eastern Systems over to GrimHEX.

My port-side quantum tubes were acting up -- probably because I'd been too cash-strapped to have them deschmegged for the past 3 maintenance cycles -- but I had to push my trusty MISC Endeavor as hard as she could go. Pirates are peevish and mercurial at the best of times, and this was defniitely not the best of times. The humidifiers had been out of commission on GrimHEX for over a week, and an ashy pirate was not a happy pirate.

"Cortana!" I called to no one in particular (for indeed I was the only person aboard -- a sometimes unavoidable side effect of being a rugged iconoclast with uncorruptible space-morals), knowing that my ship's female AI would respond.

"Yes, M'lord?" her dulcet, voice answered, with just the slightest hint of longing and submission, from the PA speaker overhead.

"I'm sorry, girl, but I need you to push the QD as hard as you can. Even if it means exceeding the B'tak thresholds by as much as 5%. And remind me to lay in new supplies of fresh wipes when we hit Stanton."

This is good.

no_recall posted:

Star Citizen, from videos, has a ridiculous short TTK (time to kill) period. A connie dies within a minute, ships crash in spectacular fashion with no auto eject (not sure why this is not a feature), players die and ships despawn with them, jumping out of a ship while its flying doesn't follow physics (your velocity = ship velocity) but instead of a high possibility of your death.

Griefed Citizen.

It legitimately annoys me that everyone points to this when showing stuff that's "never been done before". Its not impressive to walk around in a ship that is moving. It would be impressive to step out and float along gently with the ship, even if you were screaming along at thousands of m/s since your hardly moving wrt the frame of reference of the ship. So it fails to be unnecessary fidelity, and becomes an over-engineered yet prosaic feature, while also being wrong. And the wrongness is the least offensive part. Wrongness is great in scifi if you are doing it to have something fun or interesting.

But no. Step out of the ship and WHOOOOOSH you dead stop with relation to nothing as your ship flies away. uuauauarhg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Daztek posted:

https://vid.me/1Fys

this is amazing

almost pgabz worthy

This is definitely great. I give it :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz: out of :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz:, or two :argh:'s up, if you use that system.

PS: at first I watched without sound, and thought nothing about it. Thank you for referencing it's quality so I could go back and fully appreciate this.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

croberts design = steal stuff and jam on greebling until you can't fit anymore

bonus if greeble can be labeled as useful and bad-rear end stuff like "parking sensor"

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Daffan posted:

[INSERT ANY CIG IDEA TEXT, LIMIT 96 CHARACTERS] was an idea they came up with on the spot to placate the players, without thinking through how it would be balanced or actually work in the game - so they've pulled the plug on it IIRC.

Other famous CR ideas that have been stated here and there, but CiG have no idea how it will actually work in the game, let alone the implementation.

Agent Smithing function.
9:1 NPC:Player ratio.
Each random NPC has their own lives and are like real players. Don't just randomly appear/disappear
NPC crews are fully independent with wants/needs.
Living breathing economy that is ran by NPC's and can be dynamically affected by players.
Massive 200+ people fleet battles, with full crews aboard each ship with magic instancing.
[INSERT ANY COMPLETED FEATURE TEXT HERE. GO AHEAD, USE AS MUCH SPACE AS YOU WANT FOR THIS DATA] (I cant wait until people rage against this)

All this coming right after they work out the Flight Model and Controls.

FTFY

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

cool new Polack jokes posted:

It's me, I'm the 12-sided "round" cartoon button from Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)

(stop doxxing me)

I used to make 3d models for an online virtual world* company back in the nineties. The user-made models were always very 'round' and smooth and would tank your framerate. To this day, If i see edges that are too round my brain screams "inefficieeeeeeeent!" There was a real skill to representing shapes with the fewest triangles possible that I really enjoyed.

Big red "Mother Of GOD" button is funny though.

* haha, this was when Virtual World meant essentially a 3d gameworld, rather than Actual VR. good times...

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

grimcreaper posted:

I liked the look of armor in dead space though.. Croberts armor just looks like poo poo tacked onto poo poo for the hell of it.

Star Citizen: poo poo Tacked Onto poo poo for the Hell of It.

Xaerael posted:

IDK whether this is a joke post or not. :confused:

I hear ya

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

The Titanic posted:

You're close, except it's butt plugs. And they aren't visible when equipped. Just knowing the fidelity is in him is good enough.

This was an artisanal quality joke upgrade. I achieved .897 of a spit take.

crisp roberts posted:

In a way CIG really reminds me of a modding team. The starting aspiration, the clunky tech demos, a bastardized version of an already released game, overpromising and internal struggles. Sure, sometimes great mods come out, but much more fail though.

This is really apt.

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen

:dxchop:

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Hav posted:

My Kerbal Space Program story;

I started playing the game with very little idea of what was going on, so I killed a lot of my pilots early on, relying on scientists to do the flying. When we finally made high parabolas - orbits were slightly out of reach - I started the science experiments to earn some sweet cheddar from Big Environment on Kerbal. One of the experiments you can do is EVA, which is fine, because you have a ladder that you can hold onto.

So my Kerbal is hanging onto the ladder heading towards apogee, when I find out you can move up and down the ladder, until I fall off. it's surprising how quickly that separation goes from a couple of inches to a couple of meters simply from the impulse of leaving the ladder. I actually got quite anxious.

I had to pause and feverishly look up the EVA thrusters, then manuever the Kerbal back onto the ladder before things got a bit hot from re-entry.

$15 and emergent gameplay. Star Citizen can't do that.

Being separated from your vehicle during EVA has to be one of the scariest ways to die.

The Titanic posted:

Hopefully the tide will continue to slowly turn. I don't see how it couldn't, but I also never would have predicted them getting millions because of their last stream. So I am continually surprised! :3:

I honestly think that they will release a real game at this point. The amount of funding from so little material is staggering, and I can't really in good faith be surprised any more. They really toed the line with Citcon, but I think that has just showed them exactly where the edge is now. And they are going to ride that edge hard until they start to slip. Then they will jettison the MVP 'game' like so much valueless ballast, and fly away.

And that game is going to be gloriously inadequate.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Nicholas posted:

heres your 42 million dollar stretch goal

totally not related to HGTTG

OK, I have some black hole in my memory and I have to ask about it.

What is all this stuff about Sandy's favorite number? I thought the 42/towel was a known and open HHGG reference. Didn;t they mention it in early videos? Did they start denying this at some point? If so, why? I mean, who can say why CIG does anything, but what is really wrong with a HHGG reference like this? It couldn't possibly be a legal matter, just the number and a towel.

What am I missing here?

e: Accidentally typed SQ42 instead of HHGG initially, blech :P

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

The Titanic posted:

It's been a while, so I may be a bit fuzzy on the details.

This was all at the very outset of everything. Sandi wasn't married to Chris, the ideas were still original. This whole Sq42 thing came around at some point, and everybody was like "Oh! Like Hitchhikers Guide! Haha!" And instead of go with it, Sandi determined that it wasn't in fact a HHGTTG reference, but instead it was her favorite number. So it's all original and totally not cribbing on Douglas Adams.

As for the towel, no idea? I'm sure towels are her favorite bathroom item or something.

Somebody like Beer can probably correct me if I'm way off base. This is some early days stuff when I wasn't really caring too much because the game was still feasible and not a train wreck.

This is just bizarre. I vaguely remember the towel from back when I followed SC as an actual game. I seem to recall it going something like "haha, remember your towel is the most important thing to bring to space! *wink wink*. I mean it was a pretty inoffensive nod, really, and not a pure IP ripoff like some later stuff. Why would you even try to subvert/hide it? It's like they can't help but be shady about everything, no matter how inconsequential.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

The Titanic posted:

My bet would be that Chris Roberts knowingly rips this stuff off, but has a hard time admitting that he's creatively bankrupt. It's like if he only uses the Dune sandworm "a little bit" it's still mostly his creation on spectacle. Unfortunately for the whole Douglas Adams thing, it's pretty horrifically blatant. From the towel to everything else.

His whole game, from title to the details, is a rip off from better, original concepts from people far better at it than him.

Right, but the towel / 42 thing is blatant in the sense that an overt reference should be. It's just a fun reference, rather than lifting whole gameplay / asset ideas. It should be overt since it is an actual nod or homage (to my eyes). Like, why be shady about that, when you go on to blithely copy some of the most iconic assets in sci-fi.

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, it is just so odd to me though.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

how many of those guys unironically describe themselves as incels

:( thinking about the community just gets me down, time to enjoy some bubbly

I am annoyed that you made me google incel, and that I now know it is a used term.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

The Titanic posted:

This seems to be the prevailing winner (where winning is bad) in most cases. Losing friends is an endless war of attrition between trying to be happy and trying to blend in with general society. Some day I will figure out the best mix and be totally cool and popular. :3:

Totally cool and popular isn't the best mix! Best part of getting older is having that perfect number of real friends without too much drama, building each other up rather than tearing each other down. ^

This makes me very appreciative of the busy weekend coming up:** Starting a new season of a previous epic RPG campaign on Friday, friends visiting from deep north Maine for board games and scotch pretend connoisseur-ing on Saturday, and campfire cocktails (with egg samiches) on Sunday.

**Not trying an underhanded brag how cool and social I am... this is a rather unusual confluence of events.

e: ^ and losing the deadwood

Oleyo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 8, 2016

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

After you are mesmerized by a giant dough mixer and stick your arm in it while it is operational*, this is how you salute.

*Actually happened to someone where I went to high school.

e: He really claimed that he was 'mesmerized' by it. I can only assume drugs were involved. Drugs seem not to mix with heavy machinery.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

pinepple on pizza: actually good

#Istandwiththeneuroticjew

Raskolnikov posted:

Pineapple on pepperoni is the real winner. It's like #winning by slumming.

Seriously, it's good. Call me.
poo poo is tough okay?

Not gonna lie. I cannot imagine that tasting good.

Ok, Ok, I will stop. We don't really need to do this again....

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

sooooo.... Mentioning 'the final solution' as bad, bad, bad! is... SJW?

:eyepop:

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:gonk: I'm afraid to gently caress with my stand mixer's dough hook when it's in action. You've got to have some sort of cognitive defect going on to think it's a good idea to jam your arm into an industrial version.

Same. Those things do not stop.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Tippis posted:

:shrug: What else is there to do? It's not like CIG is doing anything useful that we can mock them for. We probably have to wait for the next livestream for that.

Fair point. I don't really mind off-topic garbage myself. *flinches and peers around, expecting a blow from Marching Powder*

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

RagnarokZ posted:

Why the hell are the parking sensors that massive? Is that really needed on something that big?

Duhhh....

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Bussard_collector

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I have a set of Klobbs and I ain't afraid to use them

Well played, sir. And clearly incapable of being a threat.

:golfclap:

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Is it literally just me left then?

I'm still in. I considered that money spent in early 2013, and I am not going to go digging around for it now. I gave CR some cash for his idea and said "let's see what you can do with it." I still want to see, although I think we all predict the result.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

TheLightPurges posted:

Ive got 5 dollars of skin in the game friend I'm riding this all the way down.

That's right, I'm in Dr. Strangelove style! WHOOOOOOOOOWEEEEEEE

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Well yesterday was a mixed bag. Got my refund deposited into my PayPal account and got a possible diagnosis of glaucoma. Have to go back for more tests, but I've had high eye pressure for years, but something they didn't like with the way the optic nerve looks or something. I'll find out more in a couple weeks when I go back in for more tests. Makes going ahead and getting a VR headset a bit higher on my priority list. Even if expensive and first gen and I know there will be better later. Better enjoy it now because there may come a day where I can't. Same with flying. Better enjoy the DA-40 while I can...

I work for an ophthalmologist. Couple things:

1) Glaucoma is common and almost always super easy to treat, with cheap eye drops.

2) Neglecting it *can* make you blind. (don't skip the tests and get your optic disc examined each year, let them be cautious)

If they Rx you some drops, please get the drops and take them regularly, you will likely have no problem until your eyes glaze over with cataracts from old age (then you can just pop in IOLs)

e: Sounds a bit snarky, but I am being straight up, way to many people neglect this simple treatment.

Oleyo fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 14, 2016

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

:vince:

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Could just be an elevated risk factor too. Won't know until the full tests. I have suffered a decrease in vision since my last visit 3 years ago, but I went from 20/15 to 20/20 vision. And given I'm in my mid/late 30's not unusual.

Definitely. Just want to say don't get worried about it, but make sure to follow up and take whatever they say to take, if it comes to it. :)

BTW Glaucoma will manifest as a loss in your field of vision, and not in your visual acuity, but you don't want to wait for that to happen. The can tell by looking at your optic disc, and weather it is cupped from the pressure (can just be that way normally though), so just be sure to keep an eye on it. It's one of the things that modern medicine thankfully treats easily and cheaply.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016
Noooo! I was between offices when the stream started, and judging from the comments I missed the good stuff. Just reloading a PC too.... don't even have pressing work!

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

TheLightPurges posted:

a literal song and dance for the backers

What.

Is.

Happening.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016
Prophetic?

http://imgur.com/a/fqU6T

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Just landed the contract to do branding and promo for a large music festival yay!

Please dance naked on an exploding ship to promote the venue.

Just kidding, good on ya!

e: Woah, posted from past and landed in psycho-ville. Pgabz, no matter how angry you are, please do not perceive the ship dance idea as a death threat. Please and thank you.

Oleyo fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 21, 2016

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Chalks posted:

Wait a good drat second, this screen isn't even turned on! It seems that I was wrong all along! Twitter does indeed include messages from people, even those I am not following!

In fact, looking down my Twitter feed for the last month the only mentions of star citizen are retweeted by one Richard "lowtax" kyanka, who seems to run some sort of internet comedy website.

My god, I certainly regret making all those retarded comments about Twitter now that I realise I have literally no idea how it works. I sure do feel like a bit of a twat. Let's hope I don't compound this mistake by incorrectly accusing someone of reposting poo poo from their feed in this thread, because I seem to be incapable of keeping track of who I am replying to!

How much you wanna bet he still doesn't realise he is replying to the wrong person? Even now, after I mention it here.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016
I got Minecraft in EA.

I'm a wicked smaht savvy consumah.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

XK posted:

Pouring out a drink for 1990's Diamond Multimedia hardware. All the old school pc gamers will understand.

Diamond Stealth 3D 2000, baby!

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

nawledgelambo posted:

These people are so brokebrained they have to hold hands and keep themselves in a hug pit and begin echoing their distaste for ANYONE not associated with the 'Star Citizen is my life' reassuring kum-ba-yah circle jerk. All dissenters and naysayers will be hung publicly. Scott Manley, you're always welcome here, buddy. Even if you love star citizen and have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in it, at least we won't try and cost you business, tarnish your reputation, and question your integrity.

I have always thought Scott Manley's SC vids were really matter of fact, like he isn't that bothered either way. He is usually pretty diplomatic the rare times he outwardly expresses doubt or concern. Citizens can't HANDLE that. You gotta be promoting, or a hater.

Anyway, as someone who follows Scott for his KSP, astronomy, space game run downs, and rocket engineering insights, it makes me laugh for people to rage at him over this tiny subset of his content, and judge him morally for it to boot.

Oleyo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 28, 2016

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Maybe Chris should license the Cobra engine and just use it to build his dumb bad game instead of torturing StarYard

That'd at least net us a pretty good reddit meltdown thread

I read this at first as 'Croba Engine'. I blame you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

thatguy posted:

Better, happier, more entertained
Excited
Occasional drinks at the pub
/dance3 at the club
Seven days a week
Getting on better with your associate streamer contemporaries
At ease
Having fun
No more scripted dialogue and on-rail demos
A patient, better pilot
A safer ship
Cargo resting in the hold
Sleeping well
No bad bugs
No glitches
Careful to all players
Never griefing in Nullsec
Keep in contact with old devs
Enjoy AtV now and then
Will frequently check credits on Mobiglass
Hole in the wall
Pledges for pledges
Fond but not obsessed
Charity standing orders
On Sundays Dumper's Depot repair
No killing noobs or attacking helpless NPCs
New referral training
Also on Sundays
No longer afraid of the Goons or Derek
Nothing so ridiculously teenage and desperate
Nothing so childish
At a better pace
Slower and more calculated
No chance of escape
Now single
Concerned but powerless
An empowered and informed Citizen
Pragmatism not idealism
Will not cry on Reddit
Less chance of being scammed
Tires that don't no-clip
Shot of ship exploding
A good memory
Still cries at the end of Wing Commander
Still pledges with new cash
No longer empty and hollow like an actress
In her 40's trying to make it in Hollywood
The ability to laugh at E:D
Calm
Better, happier, more entertained
A dreamer on Spectrum with an Idris

* slow clap*

Had to shake the dust off this account and break a long hiatus to say how great this is. Also, is Star Citizen duping any new folks? Are they doing *anything* real? Has pgabz had an aneurism fromn chronic high BP and poor anger management?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

I saw some gamescon stuff... Looks like all the same old part-sizzle, part-jank, tightly scripted demos we have come to know and love. It feels like Groundhog day, to be honest, I can't even remember all the old milestones. I long ago praised the "procedural planet" tech they were showing, and I think I was right. It looks like good tech. The planets look cool in a realistic way to me. Unfortunately, I get the impression that CR loves it to, and has been desperately trying to spackle all their module detritus onto it, thinking it will save the game. Wasn't it like a year and a half ago they intro'd that stuff?