Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
So I tried the free fly and was blown away by the experience. Like good lord it was explosive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Just a heads up I clicked the picture and it linked me to the page. It was logged into your "goldfish" account.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Hasnt it been more than 90 days than the mtd was filed? It has to be close

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I think alot of people forget this about streamers/youtubers. Even if CIG isn't paying any of these people a dime or giving them ships to giveaway, they have a direct financial stake in the games success. We saw this play out in real time with Destiny 2. It took months and months for the most hardened streamers to start saying it sucks. And only then because the unbridled positivity wasn't enough to sustain the viewer numbers.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Sarsapariller posted:

I guess what consistently blows my loving mind about streamers is this- wouldn't you, like, find a good game first? Or at least one that generates interesting videos? I could see Star Citizen being a really popular stream if you basically just got hammered off your rear end, griefed people, and laughed at glitches. But trying to actually play it for reals and pretend that this is all very serious professional bzns please subscribe is the height of lunacy to me. There's basically one level, and nothing works! How can you hope to make even an hour's worth of fun content out of that?

The problem with that strategy is the market is usually already saturated by the time a game gets popular. The way you start as a streamer is you pick a promising game and grow a following within that community as the game grows. Once you get popular enough you can branch out a bit but even then its hard. So a bunch of streamers hitched their cart to the SC (wrong) horse and have been waiting for years for it to blow up. A lot of them are true believers so for a long time they thought the big blow up is just around the corner etc, etc.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Sarsapariller posted:

I guess I'm out of the loop because I don't really watch daily streamers. I'd much, much rather watch someone like Chip Cheezum or Helloween pick apart an interesting game from ten years ago. I can't imagine trying to launch an internet showbiz career off the back of an alpha video game. At least have some charisma before you try!

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be locked until the pilot gets in first but surprise surprise, that code is no longer working.

Yea its a brave new world out there.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

Stealing from Discord: pgabz spotted in ship-griefing training camp.
https://i.imgur.com/EyoVn1y.gifv

He's so angry jesus.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I have kind of a bone to pick with some of you in this thread who actually feel bad for anyone that works there. CR and the management gang rightfully get the bulk of the scorn but I think some of you are missing a big part of the picture. This isn't Madoff and a few buds setting up some investment ponzi scheme, this is more akin to a large office building running phishing scams out of India/Florida. A lot of people are involved.

Even the lowliest dev knows what the score is. They know they can't deliver even 1/4 of what Cr promised. They probably justify it to themselves by thinking that they aren't the ones who made the promises.

But they are scum for multiple reasons (not every employee fits every one of these reasons but if you fall into even 1 you are morally culpable)

1. They stay at their job even though they know the game is unable to be delivered even remotely close to as promised. Their entire paycheck is derived from scam money gained under false pretenses. They are aware of this in 2018.
2. They stay at their job even though they are incapable of delivering what their bosses ask. (probably no one is with CRs insane demands but the point stands, its unethical to take money for a job you know you cant do)
3. Many show up on ATVs, streams, etc to perpetuate the scam.

To all the devs at CIG, get a real job. And if you whine that you can't get a job in the games industry, maybe it isn't for you. Because technically speaking you aren't in the games industry right now. You are in the scam/MLM industry. If you whine that you need the money. That doesn't give you the right to take it from others, often mentally ill, under false pretenses. You are scum. If you stayed for an additional 2 weeks after realizing it was a scam. You are scum.

I know it seems harsh but its 2018. Everyone is fully aware of what the score is. I'd love to get some feedback and a cogent explanation from someone in here on why the even lowly QA person at CIG is somehow not a scammer. Without all those employees Chris wouldn't have been able to scam even a small percentage of what was raised. The concept art, PU, etc is what brings in money for the scam on an ongoing basis. They are what makes this possible.

ColonoscopyExp fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 18, 2018

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Also before anyone asks I am extremely mad.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Hav posted:

I don't feel bad, but I understand the need for a job.

Is it that they're representing themselves falsely, and you don't think this is honest?

:five: :five: :five:

Basically yes. Their paycheck isn't derived from the profits of goods and services provided like most jobs, but from promises of those services that they know full well are undeliverable. I suppose you can feel bad for a mugger who needs money but that doesn't mean we allow him to mug people. Theres little moral difference between the two.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Twyst posted:

You sound like an rear end in a top hat.

I am. But I am also correct.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Twyst posted:

Having worked at lovely and non lovely games companies, I can tell you you're not. But what would I know, apparently I'm on the same moral level as a mugger because I knew a game I was working on wouldn't deliver but I wanted to make rent and eat.

Pretty much yes you are on that level. What makes you think you aren't? Why do you think you have the moral right to continue taking that money if you think you can't deliver what people are paying you to do? Just because you need to make rent?

At least own that you are a thief.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

XK posted:

The lower level employees don't necessarily have enough agency to throw themselves off the crippled ship. On top of that, a lot of them are even straight out of college and don't know any better.

I can get behind ignorance. But I think at this point where CIG is even a fresh college grad knows the score.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Hav posted:

You don't actually stop a mugger mugging people, but you apply consequences to the act of mugging. You might even offer someone the ability to deter a mugger, but despite years of anti-mugging measures, it still occurs.

The moral arguments around crime and punishment are extremely deep, and bear some examination in their correct context, but you're mixing moral and financial arguments into a melange or pudding.

What you're actually doing is suggesting that you know the mental state and disposition of all the employees. This is not true. What you're suggesting is that each one of them knows that what they've been contracted to do is not going to reach fruition. This is not true. Apart from not actually seeing the contracts, there _are_ people engaged in producing a game, and they are _actually_ producing things, despite your thesis that they may as well be chair-jousting. You also seem to be suggesting that a conspiracy of ~300 people doesn't have one 20 year old that's a bit worried about 5-10 as accessory to wire fraud. This is, I feel, really loving far fetched.

See, we've done this _criminal_ dance a few times, and apart from the usual statutory instruments that kick in if there is a crime, there has to be a complaint. The complaint has to be taken up, and it actually has to hit the legal definitions for it to be a scam.

The problem with that is that as far as I can tell, they've been severing all business relationships with anyone that wants them, and removing the complaint surface whereever they can find it. It's details like that, that make this _bordering_ on a scam, but one of the things I really hate is this idea that everyone is engaged in malfeasance rather than just trying to work for a living. The people you should be looking to are the ones named in discovery, as those are the smoky room guys.

What was Erin walking away with? Millions?

They aren't working for a living. Working is providing goods and services in exchange for compensation, which has been warped here. Obviously the QA tester is not going to prison for fraud. I was speaking morally. And I didn't really want to get into crime and punishment, the mugger example was more to highlight and compare something most everyone believes is wrong, with what is going on at CIG.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Twyst posted:

Because I was getting paid to QA a game, which is what I was doing, lovely or not. Should everyone working on games that aren't going to deliver EXACTLY what has been pitched quit?

Yes they should if they took money for it in advance. Most won't (lookin at you), but they should. The second you realize that its not possible is when you should be looking at leaving. The money they are using to pay you was collected under false pretenses if they sell it as having X (and you know it wont have X).

ColonoscopyExp fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 18, 2018

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

By your logic though if I work at Burger King I should feel bad every time a Lesnick wobbles past, I mean I get your point but where do we draw the line? A guy plants a tree, tree gets cut down and made into paper, paper is used as a paper plane by some kid which is thrown into another kids eye causing the kid to stumble and fall landing on a shovel which does that comedy thing and whacks a dude in the gonads causing him to drop red hot coffee all over a nearby baby.
I mean, you gonna go after that tree planting dude for being a child abuser?

I would draw the line at not taking money for something that you know the person will not receive.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Twyst posted:

So the guys working at Frontier should have quit when Elite wasn't going to deliver offline support and Elite should never have been finished?

Well Frontier announced the change, apologized, and ( I hope) gave refunds if people wanted. We aren't in 2018 with Frontier promising offline support just around the corner.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

I'm up for tea bagging CIG so if this is a new way to do so count me in.
gently caress YOU SOUND GUY!!!

God drat right. People gush about that pedro dudes music being in the game. He alone is probably responsible for a lot of funding.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I apologize if this got heavy for some, that unethical QA dude in particular. Was not my intention. Just disliked seeing people feeling sorry for devs crunching or whatever at CIG. They were working extra hard to ensure the scam continues.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Dooguk posted:

Maybe that is why the have so many vacancies. People leaving after a crisis of consciousness.

Quite possibly. They also pay poo poo and have bad management from what I hear.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah gently caress him too!

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydyy-frH1-U

Edit 2: yup still makes me giggle like an idiot

It made me laugh :D

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Sunswipe posted:

Show us your balls.

I thought that dude who loves derek is balls man.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Twyst posted:

Sorry, I was just freaking out because I played a game that cut something prior to release and I felt like I'd been held at knife point by someone on minimum wage.

Morally the same thing occurred if they advertised it as such. Something was taken from you and you were decieved. I get that you are close to the situation as a game person but try to think a little outside your box. People go to prison for fraud all the time my man.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Golli posted:

Speaking of consumer fraud trials - any word on Streetroller v Crobear et al?

Laughed out of court most likely since he received a refund. Hopefully he doesn't get countersued for legal costs as he's on disability i assume.

ColonoscopyExp fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 19, 2018

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Frank_Leroux posted:

Dammit you have to post a warning on poo poo like that. I nearly pissed myself.

Should I get into the current discussion? I guess I will.

Regarding the mugger vs. lowly CIG employee...there might not be a philosophical difference, but I think there is a difference in actuality.

A mugger must at least imply a threat to life or limb to receive their ill-gotten gains. With respect to the hypothetical lowly CIG peon, there is no such threat to their victim. Again, not a difference in principle but I think there is a significant difference in the details.

Make no mistake, there will be real harm done by CIG, if it hasn't happened already. Marriages will be ended, relationships will be severed, people will slide into depression.

It will be very bad. Unfortunately, the blame for such harm will be more diffuse. With a mugger, there is a single perpetrator that can be pointed to as the source of all subsequent evil. With CIG? Sure, CR himself bears the lion's (bear's?) share of responsibility. But he didn't operate in a vacuum. Others enabled him and allowed him to do what he's done. I picture it as a pyramid of responsibility. Yes, our hypothetical CIG peon bears some of the blame...but not all of it.

I think people are getting a little hung up on the mugger thing. Your last few sentences are right on. My main point was that there are 400 people actively and almost certainly in 2018 knowingly involved in keeping this scam going.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Twyst posted:

What a load of poo poo, by that logic Peter Molyneux's QA team should be serving multiple life sentences. Are you drunk or just a oval office?

Who said anything about jail? I said multiple times now nobody will be going to jail for stuff on this level. This is about ethics. I really don't understand what is confusing you. I explained it as calmly and as clearly as I can multiple times. I think you are just too close to this and possibly feeling a bit guilty/defensive.

And yes Peter's QA team are absolutely morally culpable if they knew for a fact that thing X would not be in the game despite advertisements but chose to keep getting paychecks derived from mislead people anyway.

ColonoscopyExp fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 19, 2018

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

big nipples big life posted:

Since a certain permaban sanditalk has dropped way down

:thunk:

She's the VIP of marketing and a key part of the scam. Worthy of discussion. Don't let the believer obfuscate with accusations of sexism because sandi is a woman.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly we cant judge cig on sq42 too harshly because they are a rookie studio releasing their first title.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

EightAce posted:

They are not complicit in a scam they are doing What their paid to do . Lots of these guys could end up unemployed because of the actions of the bad news bears.

Good. They aren't actually gainfully employed at the moment whether they know it or not.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I see people say "I hear Alexis is nice" and "I feel bad for her because shes married to Ben".

Ben is gross. But her literal job for years was to talk down and convince backers/doubters to keep in with the scam. They deserve each other.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Its a nice stealth, no new planets until middle of 2019.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Quavers posted:

Important announcement from WTFOSaurus:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/252600095?t=20m10s

He's getting free stuff to giveaway and a new PC. Organised/paid-for by CIG to rejuvenate his streaming of Star Citizen?

Nice marketing push. Streamers count as scammers too by the way. WTFO is woke enough to know the score but he gleefully accepted a new computer and a sum of money.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Seems like a really weird time for a marketing push.

Also I wonder if it clicks in the brain of any backer that the $500 spaceship they just bought went toward giving WTFOSaurus a sweet gaming rig for his personal use.

Its paid for by intel. Ships cost nothing for cig to giveaway and cig gains a rededicated scamployee to hype up the game and make it look as good as humanly possible

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Any of you “they need to steal to feed their families” ppl wanna defend this?

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Agony Aunt posted:

What? Where that come from?

Several pages ago I put forth that even the lowliest QA tester likely knows its a scam at this point (i.e currently advertised features are impossible etc) and works there despite that their paycheck is derived from a scam. In fact at this stage of the game the scam would not be possible if they did not actively help develop the front and appear on ATVs etc. And that makes them Bad People.

Several posters think they are Good People because they need money for rent. But in my opinion they aren't gainfully employed. They are "employed" the same way a phishing scam telemarketer or mugger is employed. Their paycheck is not predicated on providing a good or a service, but on victimizing others.

So I was wondering how those people viewed these streamers getting cash (standard part of these deals with other games) and free stuff (to unbox, advertise, and benefit from) to continue the scam. Good people trying to feed their kids or Bad people?

ColonoscopyExp fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 21, 2018

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't address this before but there was a QA guy who said he QA'd what he was told to QA on a scam project. So he says he was providing the good/service and deserved his paycheck.

Being able to swing a bat really hard and accurately is a marketable skill. Yet we look very differently at the people who are paid to use this skill on rival's heads or on baseballs. there are endless examples I picked a fun one dont nitpick you guilt ridden man

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Just put the dumbass on ignore and move on with your lives, y'all. Until such time as everyone working for CiG, big or small, spontaneously combusts and burn away into ashes, this dipshit will not be satisfied. Do not interact with him/her.

I just think they should all quit/lose their "jobs" and get real ones. Don't project.

Like at the very least stop going "Poor devs! They look so tired I bet they are crunching!". Good lord.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyTolradi posted:

Sure, they can just go and get jobs from the job tree. It's that simple!

It often is! And they currently dont actually have jobs!!!

But seriously think about the implications of your logic there. Anything is permissible to get money because getting a job can be hard?

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

McGiggins posted:

2 million players and not a single game.

This is the death of indie Roberts.

considering you can buy referral accounts in double digit batches on the trading reddit I'm sure its all legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like CIG just got a bunch of free development software for 1 penny a license.