Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

OB_Juan posted:

I like that they ended up making a Gas Chamber/FYAD hybrid section in the Brown Sea to house their badposters, and that they named it after us. A true Goon Victory.

I heard that one of their employees liked to post in that section and outspam every single shitposter in the subforum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

spacetoaster posted:

When are we getting an update on the Mechwarrior Mercenaries game? :colbert:

I don't know. Soon I'm hoping...I want to know more too

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

G0RF posted:

The silent lurker population here varies but over the course of a given month but includes:
  • Game industry folk picking up water cooler chatter (“You hear “you can fit all of Skyrim in there” crap? The nerve of that guy.)

Hello thread from this group

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

G0RF posted:

:hfive:

But I have to ask...

Why do you guys cut corners on graphical fidelity?

Is it because you don't have a Code Whisperer running the show?

Tell you friends, tell your family. The Code Whisperer is soon to deliver a new era of Quadruple A gaming. And there will be nowhere to hide when he does. And no one, NO ONE, will be able to catch him. Except Rockstar. Maybe.

Don’t ask me man. I just keep the servers running.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Beet Wagon posted:

Excellent. You've posted here, and now I can chain probate you until the Hollander gets put in.

I guess I’m never going to post again :negative:

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Beet Wagon posted:

Don't crush my dreams! :rip:

I don’t even know what a Hollander is other than it’s a robot

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Beet Wagon posted:

That's... honestly probably for the best. Like I'm sure the networking jobs there aren't exactly a cakewalk, but you're probably insulated from most or all of the weird greasy nerd obsession over robots and robot-adjacent bullshit.

I talk to the community sometimes so I’m not completely insulated. I’ve taken a step back in recent years though. I don’t think I even talked to any fans at Mech Con this year...

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Beet Wagon posted:

As someone who occasionally considers going to Mech Con to be that exact guy, I can't say I blame you. I always appreciate it when I see devs and team members coming to chat with players, but with a franchise like MechWarrior or Elite or any of the others that attract old grogs, I'm also always a littler perplexed as to how they manage haha.

The community is actually pretty awesome. Mech Con was lots of fun and I would probably mingle more if it wasn’t a working event for me. It’s hard to hang out and chat when you have to keep an eye on things.

There are a couple of us who mingle all day, like flyingdebris. That dude was everywhere.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Beet Wagon posted:

Well, in that case I'm glad my view of things is overly cynical. Some day I hope to make it up there for one. Also, thanks for keeping the servers chugging along for when I get a craving to get owned by dorks poopsocking a robot game.

I hope you can make it too. If you are coming make sure to let me know and we can hang out and chat. Maybe even set up a dinner with other Vancouver goons I know.

As for keeping the servers going, it’s a fun job. I spent a lot of time behind the scenes last year modernizing a lot of stuff that no one will ever see but that makes the infrastructure significantly easier to maintain.

Maybe we could play robots together some days. I still pop into the FLJK mumble sometimes.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Thoatse posted:

Hello cool and good pgi dudebro. I was just sharing my cautious optimism about MW5 with some folks, a lot of potential there in itself plus it could possibly be the mech game that sets the standard for the genre om VR

I’ve generally avoided all news of MW5 in the studio. Most of the reveals at Mech Con were a surprise to me as well.

I haven’t even played it yet, despite having access to the private VIP booth with the 40” 4K display. I want to play it as close to the final game as I can.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I saw some :pgi: chat not too long ago so I figured I’d say hi again

Hi

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Not much. Getting ready to start on my bigger departmental projects for the year. Probably nothing anyone other than the staff will notice though.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hey I've been there man! Hopefully when its all said and done you can let out a sigh of relief at a job well done. Don't forget to stock up on mocha and tell your parents you love them. Oh and there's a group luncheon on Friday, don't miss out *finger guns*

Group luncheon?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I saw :pgi: talk again so I felt like I should of pop in to the thread for a bit and say hi.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Beet Wagon posted:

Hello again friend. Please convince your compatriots to sell CIG your awesome robot models for our entertainment.

I feel like this would be very unlikely. I'm not a business guy though.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

intardnation posted:

how about just the gold ones?

I'm pretty sure anyone can add gold skins to their items for sale and charge a premium if they'd like.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Beet Wagon posted:

Serious question: Is there any kind of general consensus at PGI about CIG, or do y'all mostly not even give a poo poo? I ask because to a lot of gamers both companies exist in a similar kind of space (CryEngine, some... questionable sales practices, Transverse, etc) and it's not uncommon to hear jokes about "$500 gold mechs" in a Star Citizen thread. Personally I feel like it's not a great comparison, seeing as you guys have a game (almost 2 now!) and have actually bounced back from the bigger mistakes, but I always wonder if maybe some people there look at CIG and go "Well thank gently caress we're not doing that" or if everybody is too preoccupied to remember they exist.

I will never speak for the company, nor it's employees in this capacity in any way.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

The Titanic posted:

Good decision! :hfive:

I would expect the same from anyone else employed in the industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Hav posted:

Well, you don't _have_ to come in when we're discussing PGI. I merely look at the threads about my corporate and close them while sadly chuckling.

Sometimes I just look and move on, sometimes I pop in to chat. It depends on the day and what I'm up to.