Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Gravity_Storm posted:

You don't mine for soil is just loving THERE. What is this game

It's Minecraft. This guy wants to play Minecraft in his fully realized space simulator/first person shooter/MMO.

Also: This thread is amazing and I'm now obsessed with Star Citizen news. Thanks for nothing, fellow goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Is anyone else struck by how fake this scene looks? Like a dude just walked in and was like, "Whelp, if I want to read my book, I guess I'll have to nestle awkwardly on the floor between these two dudes' legs while invading their personal space instead of taking that chair in the corner."

Or was it acknowledged as posed at some point and I'm too lazy and/or stupid to figure it out?

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I thought they were just making expresso in there.

God drat it you animals, if I wanted to be around people that used the word "expresso" I'd visit my hometown.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Mirificus posted:

[Star Citizen Psychobabble]

Has anyone else read so much lovely Star Citizen fanboy garbage with Mirificus' name on it that they get reflexively repulsed by seeing his name?

It's only for a second then it passes, but I'm sorry Mirificus. You're doing the lord's work, and I apologize in advance for head butting you if by chance we should meet in person.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Chalks posted:

I love the idea that deadlines were a concept that was created purely to ruin things and serve no purpose what so ever. Everyone else just uses them because they're dumb, but not CIG! They're the smartest people who ever did think.

I love that they think deadlines are the only thing that can compromise quality, so as long as that's the reason why the game is taking forever there's nothing else to worry about.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Some games are infinite, but Star Citizen will be the most infinite.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Unpacking why SC is doomed from a technical perspective is conveniently (for chris roberts) very tough because it's extremely hard to get people's attentions long enough to elaborate on why making games is hard and you can't just ideas-guy development teams into doing the impossible. let's try to break Star Citizen down by starting from the abstract:

(&c...)

Goose, this is a fantastic post and anyone that wants to start understanding why any large software engineering project is hard to to get right (or easy to gently caress up) should read it. Seriously good poo poo that I'm much too lazy and/or incompetent to attempt emulating.

READ IT YOU BEASTS!

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

To end the week, we are hosting Happy Hour Interview, where we kidnap a CIG developer and subject them to questions from backers on our official Twitch channel. Last month’s guests were Sean Tracy and Steve Bender.

Oh shiiiiiiit. I worked with Steve Bender years ago. He was not well regarded by the other art staff, and left the company abruptly under a cloud. Good get, CIG.

e: Fixed the quote to actually show what the hell I'm referring to.

Flared Basic Bitch fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 4, 2017

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Jesus Christ. None of this is Roberts' fault- he's just putting his trust in incompetent, lazy underlings and then not checking up on their work. Never mind the likely deception, dubious financial reporting, and nepotism. If a leader has one job, it's to HIRE COMPETENT PEOPLE AND HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE. OH MY GOD SO ANGRY.

If CIG is mired in ineptitude and dishonesty, then it's because an environment rewarding that behavior has been tacitly (or more explicitly) endorsed, and that poo poo starts with the boss.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

Ahahaha, this is a complete goddamn abomination and I love it. No project manager would ever sign off on this horseshit.

Sarsapariller has seen some poo poo. I can tell.

I felt inspired to chime in on this abortion of a schedule too. I'm a software engineer with many years' experience (about 8 of those in games, not that it's relevant here), and there are red flags all over the place. Just off the top of my head...

The farther into the future that you estimate time to complete work, the less reliable those estimates become because the unknowns accumulate. Planning a year into the future is just madness- your estimates almost always become fiction that far out, and that's with a capable team that understands the work and wants to do right by their customer.

The larger the tasks that you're estimating, the less reliable your estimates become because you've essentially been given license (or an excuse) to avoid thinking about the actual work you'll need to do at your keyboard in any meaningful detail. This is an especially great opportunity to avoid thinking through how your stuff interacts with other people's' systems. It's easy to estimate a task that includes queuing an asynchronous request to the purchasing system, and another thing entirely to discover that they will be asynchronously sending back a success/fail message and oh poo poo what if it's fail and oh poo poo am I expected to retry of it fails and oh poo poo what if a response never arrives at all and oh poo poo an upstream system is expecting my code to handle all of this synchronously? And so on. The tasks on this schedule are laughably huge and many appear likely to span multiple teams. If you think they had dozens of engineers in a room hashing out the critical details of how this stuff will work 6 months from now then nice job being hilarious.

Optimism is the enemy of getting honest estimates. Everyone wants to believe they're smart and good at their job, and no one wants a project's completion date to slip, but tough poo poo. If you don't put on your big boy pants and keep each other honest, you'll convince yourselves that the hard jobs are unrealistically simple and hey we can make up that two month delay from last year no sweat in Phase III. Substitute arrogance for optimism as appropriate. Also "wanting to rip people off for mad ducats."

Anyway, those are just the first three big things I thought off the top of my head while looking at the schedule. That's not to imply that everyone at CIG is crooked, but even a well meaning boss can take advantage of these dynamics to manipulate estimates and hit a deadline. And I don't think crabbers is a well meaning boss. Maybe at one time, but not anymore.

(Oh yeah- starting with a deadline and estimating to hit it. Also super bad. Duh.)

Anyway, for what it's worth.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

So they should add another week for "gamecode"?

...and that's how Tijuana Bibliophile became a technical program manager.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

Everything you said is true and good. But to be fair to them, they have no trouble planning that far into the future because this is a fantasy schedule at all levels, one month and one year alike.

I think any rational person can look at CIG's track record to date and realize, best case, they're incompetently run and won't produce anything remotely ground breaking. I also suspect that various of us have seen their hijinks parallel real world experiences in such terrible and perfect ways that we're driven to convey the power of that sensation.

Anyway, you're 100% right, but that's definitely what happened with me. I probably would have gotten the same mileage out of posting a picture of Jim Ignatowski above the words THINGS ARE MORE hosed THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

That's the stuff.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Oh my god that "Building a Schedule" video. Putting aside the fact that they were desperate enough to put together a hype video for a drat schedule...

"Bugs are hard to estimate..." and "We have over 6000 bugs..."

And yeah those were paraphrases, but holy poo poo either of those separately is evidence of some pretty poor planning process. But together? It's like a perfect storm of poor understanding, willful ignorance, and incompetence/desperation/indifference. The 6000 bug thing was meant to be bragging for gently caress's sake.

"We even have a waterfall team and they do sprints."

First of all, what the hell so they even think they're saying? Second, I've seen the drat schedule and those teams are ALL doing waterfall.

This game is doomed.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Chalks posted:

Sir have you heard of this game called "No Man's Sky"?

What is the next great innovations in MMOs? Why, the ability to play without ever encountering another player of course! They should use enormity of scale to sell all of the game's features.

The 'verse is so vast that the odds of finding an undefended freighter hauling cargo through space are 500 billion to one!

The planets are so huge that you could explore an uninhabited world for years (actual time, naturally) before discovering a single valuable natural resource!

The cities are so immense that a commando on foot could wander for a full day before finding a buyer for their space gold!

Sounds riveting.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Loiosh posted:

Games I've played since SC 2.0:
Night in the Woods - Great
Snake Pass - Okay
Mass Effect: Andromeda - Meh
Rain World - Dark Souls the side-scroller
GTA 5 - Had a lot of fun in MP with this
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Pretty okay
Dishonored 2 - Great
Mad Max - Meh
Else Heart.Break() - Amazing, everyone should play this
For Honor - Meh
Hacknet - Fun
Owlboy - Great
Oxenfree - Great
Seasons after fall - Cute

Kind of a late reply, but.

Loiosh, your list gives the impression that you prefer smaller, more experimental "indie" type games. What was the appeal of SC? There's tons of cool small studio games out there that are crowdsourced, and many of them will actually ship. Do you give money to those type of projects as well?

e: Fixed a typo and hosed up quote tags.

Flared Basic Bitch fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 24, 2017

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

DapperDon posted:

You betcha! These are some seriously basic bitches.

How dare you.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Did the lack of a gender-specific pronoun give me away? In closing, two weeks y'all. (Because Florida is in the south see.)

Sorry for the late reply. I've gotten behind on creating puppet accounts reading this thread.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

That's right. And if you don't know something you should remain silent. I accept this apology such as it is for your accusations.

Jesus Christ. We created read OSC's posts on Reddit, but this is the amateur garbage we have to put up with over here? I thought this was a top tier dead gay comedy forum.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

"personal archived content"- I guess he's been keeping the good stuff to himself? For wanking off to visions of Derek's tumescent manhood no doubt.

I wonder if any of these idiots have ever considered the record of themselves that they're creating. Well I did for as long as it took to write that, but no of course they haven't.

e: Finally caught up with the thread again. :banjo:

Flared Basic Bitch fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 23, 2017

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

"fidelity is better than real world graphics"

Let that phrase wash over you. Soak in the profound lack of self awareness and critical thinking needed to think that it means anything at all.

"fidelity is better than real world graphics"

Magnificent.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

MilesK posted:

I apologize to Star Citizen and have moved on from my hatred.

My hatred is for the games industry as a whole. Don't flatter yourself, Star Citizen.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

The Titanic posted:

I immediately agree.

Also the original Ghostbusters was better.

:shrug:

It was. But I'm going to tell you a secret. Come closer. Closer...

You can still like both of them. It's ok.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Bonus secret: Some people even dislike one of them without making it about gender politics. It's true!

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Mr Fronts posted:

What procedurally generated To 40 hits will be on Earth Mix Radio?
<etc...>

What bond paper will your suicide note be written on when our piece of poo poo game doesn't ship?

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

like sorta but in the process they owned themselves even harder using the watermarked graphic when they bought it.

I suspect they bought it after the fact since buying an image gets you the unwatermarked version. Why the hell would you pay the money and then not use the legal, less lovely version?

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

The Titanic posted:

I like many of multiple things. Like a enjoy Pepsi and Coca Cola.

Well that's just hosed up.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Rudager posted:

My only programming experience is writing little things to do simple jobs at work in C# and learning stuff in university, but holy poo poo, just watching that part blew my mind. What libraries in C++ are was literally like the first thing they taught us.

Hell, the value of code reuse has been well understood by any programmer that's worth a drat since at least the emergence of structured programming in the 50s. Libraries, OOP, modular programming, and all the rest are (at least partially) evolutions of the theme: "don't write the same poo poo twice, idiot".

I got the message about 10 trillion years ago when I was introduced to BASIC's GOSUB on my VIC-20. Congrats to CIG for figuring it out now, though. Gold star.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

grimcreaper posted:

You take that back. Infinite Warfare was a drat good game.

If blasting space terrorists with occasional breaks to stare longingly at Jon Snow's adorable puss is wrong, then I don't wanna be right.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

teh_Broseph posted:

kind of like Commander Cain on the Pegasus in [classic] Battlestar Galactica

Of course he references Galactica. And of course it's the lovely one. Sad and hilarious, like this whole freak show.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

No, he was talking about the good one. You know, with Lorne Green and Dirk Benedict.

Oh sure yeah. That's... that's the one alright.

:negative:

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

I've been thinking about putting some food on top of some other food then eating it and possibly also enjoying it. At first I was going to abduct a stranger off the street and force them to eat the food(s?) at gunpoint, but then I thought maybe that would be rude.

Thoughts?

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Who the gently caress puts "inspired by" captions on board game art? Are these idiots so far up their own asses that they think gamers in the real world will be impressed by references to "personalities" in their scam bubble?

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

BMan posted:

I think that was actually a reward for one of the higher kickstarter tiers.

Maybe it was supposed to say "Inspired by Ben Lesnick's Cash", but there was an error at the printer.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

DapperDon posted:

With this photo, everything hosed up about Ben just became crystal clear to me instantly.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

The Titanic posted:

Happy Father's Day to all the thread dads. :shobon:

And to those that have fathered threads. They're the most precious legacy we shall leave behind.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Amazing Zimmo posted:

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/876648589614735360

This is normal behavior for a well adjusted developer and negotiator.

I have no idea what secret hate this triggered within me(*), but I had a visceral reaction to it. I don't get much happiness out of seeing Ben kicked around even if he is a lovely person, but gently caress anyone that does this idiot nonsense.

(*)It's self hate.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Hey everybody! I got almost 400 pages behind on reading the thread, so I've travelled here from the paaaaast into a glorious post-Gamescom present!

So what's the word commandos? Has CIG laid all doubts to rest with a triumphant hands-on 3.0 demo that silenced and humiliated all naysayers for all time? Are you goons groveling for forgiveness on Reddit and begging the whales to let you clean space toilets on their star busses?

I bet that's what happened.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

"32 ASCII character limit"

The BDSSE that will change gaming forever and make consoles obsolete only lets you use alphabets from western Europe.

Jesus Christ, these amateurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

I'm 30 pages back and grinding ahead, but I had to pause and ask you future people a question.

Is Derek continuing to be as a big a self-owning blowhard nitwit as he was 3 days ago? Because this poo poo is becoming tedious. Derek used to at least be obnoxiously entertaining, but now he's just boring and predictable. (Read about it in my blog.)

Go away, Derek.