Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I just loving hate computers.

A day doesn't go by that I don't profusely thank 17-year-old me for somehow getting a tattoo apprenticeship so that I could be free from servicedesk bullshit years later upon realizing the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Smiling Jack posted:

I know a guy who was still making a living as a fuckin MUMPS programmer in 2017.

lots of healthcare still runs on MUMPS

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Malcolm XML posted:

Finance also. He worked for the VA before going to some Wall $treet firm.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Malcolm XML posted:

I thought they eradicated that years ago?

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

HootTheOwl posted:

Anti-vaxxers not keeping their programming languages up to date

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Missing Donut posted:

Anti-vaxxers not keeping their programming languages up to date

The human body was not designed to handle dot net.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Healthcare is a weird mix of very new thinking and technology, and very, very, terrifyingly old thinking and technology.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

The only person I know who's still in any kind of user facing IT constantly bitches that the young people at his company somehow manage to know less about computers than all the middle-aged office drones. It's a sample size of one, though, so eh.

Gonna drag this back up....As a long time IT guy in higher ed, this is very true. You go over 50 ish and it's a wasteland and under 30 ish it's another wasteland. I think there was just a sweet spot where people had to put in work to use these things but not so much that it was overwhelming.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Healthcare is a weird mix of very new thinking and technology, and very, very, terrifyingly old thinking and technology.

Electronic medical records are universally awful and a great example of this. A lot of organizations stick to old, broken software because the support costs are insane and switching EMRs are practically unheard of.

I worked with one clinic software, ATHENA, that would not recognize generic names. At all. If I want to prescribe albuterol, I only get the little vials you put into a machine to nebulize. Totally useless if you are anywhere but where the machine is.

To get the patient what they need I have to put in ProAir, Ventolin or another brand name to get the pump. And I have to know which brand name the insurance will cover; we only did electronic scripts so the program sends a script for that brand name to the pharmacy.

Sometimes the pharmacist has two brain cells to rub together and just gives the brand that the patients insurance covers (they’re literally the same drat thing), but mostly I get someone screaming about how they were going to have to pay 800 dollars per inhaler.

But it was the cheapest system that money could buy, so it was what the suits wanted. I would be much happier with a typewriter and a prescription pad but for various legal mandates nope, gotta do e-scripts.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I work in Service Desk.

They key to completely bringing your organization to a grinding halt is to initialize a Group Policy that removes your users desktop shortcuts.

A major of users, no matter the age, are utterly paralyzed when you remove their shortcuts. Like, they can’t even figure out how to click the Windows Start menu, a functionality that has been around for nearly 25 years, to find their programs / Google Chrome.

This includes our application development team. People who should loving know better.

It’s nice knowing there will be a need for service desk/Desktop Support for the foreseeable future.

The other thing is that a lot of the time the desktop was the place files that were downloaded were saved to by default. Pretty sure we all have our own stories of people who have a desktop that's nothing but various files and the occasional shortcut.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Gonna drag this back up....As a long time IT guy in higher ed, this is very true. You go over 50 ish and it's a wasteland and under 30 ish it's another wasteland. I think there was just a sweet spot where people had to put in work to use these things but not so much that it was overwhelming.

Its thee goldilocks years people who were exposed or forced to use windows 2000 - windows vista and ad hoc troubleshooting was all you had. Ive never used windows 10.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

TyroneGoldstein posted:

There was a time when you pretty much had to know what you were doing to have a functional computer at all. You didn't have a choice but to learn things like IRQ stuff, how to use a command line, how to manually connect your modem...that sort of thing. There was no USB, plug and play didn't exist, and the internet as we know it didn't exist yet. Chances are if something broke you were on your own. Yeah you could get help from the other computer nerds you knew but you called them on the phone or read a physical book. You could just google "how do I fix this problem?" and follow a WikiHow.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There was a time when you pretty much had to know what you were doing to have a functional computer at all. You didn't have a choice but to learn things like IRQ stuff, how to use a command line, how to manually connect your modem...that sort of thing. There was no USB, plug and play didn't exist, and the internet as we know it didn't exist yet. Chances are if something broke you were on your own. Yeah you could get help from the other computer nerds you knew but you called them on the phone or read a physical book. You could just google "how do I fix this problem?" and follow a WikiHow.

You're grossly overstating things. Back in those days most people didn't have a modem. They rarely added upgrade parts to their computers themselves, in part because setting up IRQ settings et al was pretty hard manually. But tons of software was out there to set things up for you, and there was most importantly plenty of retailers that would gladly overcharge for service, and support lines from the various companies making the user's software and hardware that would explain how to do things. To say nothing of how most software and hardware not meant for hobbyists came with pretty extensive guides for novices to install the thing in question.

And once things like modems started to become widespread... your ISP or other online service provider had tech support available.

"On your own" christ, that was never a thing for computers sold in retail stores, as opposed to people who were homebrewing micros or people insisting on building their own clones in the 80s/90s - both groups of people usually being folks who were already tech minded since they were doing this stuff.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Someone please explain this reference to me.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's a Fish Mac (Filet-o-fish). In parts of Europe, McDonald's used to call it by the first name.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Someone please explain this reference to me.

It's a chicken sandwich

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I said the reference/metaphor, not the object.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Fish Mac = fishmech

It's not like it's a weathervane or anything, jesus

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Fish Mac = fishmech

It's not like it's a weathervane or anything, jesus

I just bought my first iphone recently, so I thought it was some weird Apple joke that I've never heard of. v:v:v

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Is this from wendys

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

european mcdonalds is basically wendys

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Australian Wendy's is an ice cream bar.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hold on, I gotta hang up the modem to call you real quick, my mom is on the other line....

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Lambert posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Maybe save that for when he's on some ultra pedantic tangent and not just disagreeing with somebody?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Am I supposed to actually read Fishmac posts?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
You're supposed to put his rear end on your ignore list, then add everyone who engages with him, too. Pretty soon the signal to noise ratio in all of your bookmarked threads reaches something worth reading.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

anonumos posted:

You're supposed to put his rear end on your ignore list, then add everyone who engages with him, too. Pretty soon the signal to noise ratio in all of your bookmarked threads reaches something worth reading.

I wish this theory like.. worked. But some of the most infamous trolls or badposters of SA are still around, still derailing threads in tyool 2019. There's just too many credulous fools or even new members.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

pseudanonymous posted:

I wish this theory like.. worked. But some of the most infamous trolls or badposters of SA are still around, still derailing threads in tyool 2019. There's just too many credulous fools or even new members.

It's an iterative process...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

anonumos posted:

That's a sad and pathetic way to interact with the forums

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

Turn on your monitor?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No you can't make me

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

QuarkJets posted:

:roflolmao:

:airquote::decorum::airquote:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The ignore function is a commie plot to chain up the free market of ideas

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Turn on your monitor?

That's his point. It is you who has turned off their monitor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HootTheOwl posted:

That's his point. It is you who has turned off their monitor.

The joke is the implication there is a non sad and pathetic way to interact with the forums

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Forever 21 has filed for bankruptcy

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wah, wah. Every 21 year old is broke.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

"I guess human beings can't be... Forever 21."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uW47jWLMiY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Shrecknet posted: