Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Is it that hard to figure out your walmarts were different? Come on guys it's okay.
Walmart will always be special to me.

The first time I cooked meth in a public restroom was in a Walmart.

Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

withak posted:

Like everyone else he or she reads the forums at work while doing the bare minimum to not get fired.
Doing the above right this very second.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Publix subs are the reason I will never leave the Southeast no matter how high the sea level gets.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

My in-laws have never suggested we try them when we're with them in FL. What do you like about them?
Then your in-laws either hate you or are ignorant of one of the top 5 best things about Florida.

For what you pay at Subway for a 90% bread sandwich full of rubber meat and sad vegetables you can get an amazing fresh everything Publix sub.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

If you don't have a Publix you're basically a third worlder imo

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Yates posted:

Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia. Sounds more like if you have a Publix, you're a third worlder.
The Yankee scourge will never taste our Thanksgiving subs!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Do people from the South actually still call people from the North "yankees"?
No, but I did call someone a "carpetbagging gently caress" once in full seriousness.

Crow Jane posted:

Missouri has a tourism industry?
Branson is Las Vegas with a head injury.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

self unaware posted:

As someone who lives west of the Mississippi I just laugh when the "south" and "north" argue about which shithole is worse
Shouts a man in a stained wifebeater across a thousand miles of blasted desert as meth smoke rises lazily from his trailer.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

If you don't have fried butter at least once a week you're probably a communist.

Funnel cakes are an acceptable substitute if you're on a diet.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

They just don't think about geography at all. I'm someone who has always loved maps and work with maps/plans for a living, and I think anyone who plays "map games" like civilization or EU or what ever also develop some geographic thinking. But for a ton of people they don't create these top-down mental maps of their world, not even where they live let alone the wider world. They think via landmarks and street names and general distance but they don't build maps in their head, they have trouble reading maps, and they don't have a map of their country or continent or planet in their head at all.
This is so true.

I know a girl who was, on her 17th birthday, shocked to learn that one could drive to Boston from Rhode Island.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

It is a well-known fact that Black people invented all of the best food. If you live in Minnesota I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but bland food ain't one.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Stretch Marx posted:

people who think they're Spider-man can keep doing what they're doing.
These people are the bane of every safety officer.

Saw a guy drive a Hi-Lift with the boom extended over a speed bump once. Luckily for everyone ten minutes prior he had lost an argument about whether he needed to have his safety harness on so he just smashed himself into the railing instead of being launched into loving orbit.

People are insanely dumb.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

im depressed lol posted:

How does anything get discussed here when posters just reduce the scope of 'discussion' to jerking themselves to climax over these stupid, irrelevant 'gotcha' moments?
Change thread title to:

The Retail Collapse of 2018: Jerking Off in a Cage

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Cicero posted:

That's pretty weird. In practice, you can have more touchscreens than active cashiers, so the increase in time it takes to order is canceled out by there being no or shorter lines to order. Unless you also walk out of any McDonald's that has any kind of line?
If I want to order from a screen I can use the app. But that poo poo is way more complicated than shouting "Gimme a double cheese and a sweet tea" at a box from my car.

Every time they try this dumbass touchscreen thing it just confuses everyone and makes the line take twice as long. My local McDs has them, and offers coupons for using them, and still nobody does.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What if in the future they make a robot you can yell at?
If it was just as good at getting me a cheeseburger as a human I probably wouldn't give a gently caress.

Though given a choice I would prefer to order my food from a person, and would expend some small amount of extra time/money to do so.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

skooma512 posted:

It’s absolutely tragedy of the commons.

The best part is that once people really start feeling the pain and are finally ready to get going, it’ll be well past too late. Like, it’s arguably too late now
The definition of "too late" varies wildly based on income and the people making the decisions are rich af.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Celexi posted:

I have seen those homeopathic remedies in california in every grocery store I been to, it's a thing here.
Your state can't fall into ocean fast enough.

Paradoxish posted:

This is pretty far off-topic, but can someone explain how homeopathic bullshit became so widespread and acceptable? It's demonstrably worthless and makes claims which can potentially encourage people to choose it over treatments that are actually safe and effective. It seems like an absolutely massive regulatory failure.
Selling 1oz of water for $25 is extremely profitable

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

What happens when the robot runs into a bathroom meth lab.

Does it just slowly reverse out, or does it break bad?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

crazy cloud posted:

Jostling, reforming, and reshaping, known synonyms for destroying, ruining, and condemning to even more crushing poverty
Reshaping your apartment into a car. Which you can conveniently park in the lot of the Walmart you used to work at.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I had 3 insurers and a hospital going at me and each other for 18 months before the hospital just waived the whole bill. It was just shy of ten grand for wasting half an hour of a nurse's time while she helped me pick glass out of my face.

America lol

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Morbus posted:

They'll all just merge together / get bought out and we'll just end up paying more for shittier service all owned by 1 or 2 companies
CableTV.txt

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Motronic posted:

lol, once again posting in the authoritative voice while knowing nothing about the subject matter at hand.

There is an entire INDUSTRY around "stopping shoplifting". It's called loss prevention.
And it boils down to doing the cost/benefit analysis to determine the exact number of minimum wage "associates" required to deter a sufficient number of crackheads and teenagers from stealing so that shrink remains at acceptable levels.

No one is actually trying to prevent theft in retail. They are simply reducing it to an acceptable level.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm more curious about employee theft; workers are payed so loving little that I'm amazed spontaneous organized crime rings don't pop up in Walmarts around the continent.
Cultural factors aside, the risk-reward calculus sucks. Unless you're stealing by the truckload there isn't much worth your job, and what is worth stealing is much better protected in "the back" than it is in the shelves.

Retailers know that inside theft is the bigger threat, and they act accordingly.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I just loving hate computers.
Me too buddy.

My client's entire operation is run from terminals connected to an IBM 3033 and the last person there who knew how it worked retired 5 years ago.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Are you even an American if your ringtone isn't Hulk Hogan's entrance song from the 90s?

IM A REAL AMERICAN

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Security at a place where no one cares if the customer falls down a couple times on the way out the door is the only good retail job.

Worked with bikers and drunk rednecks for years and the only people who ever swung at me were at an art museum. Pretentious fucks.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Because the practice predates the smartphone camera.
They're for olds
I like stupid tourist mugs :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I used to work for Pier1 and almost everything they sell is Chinese garbage.

The furniture from Vietnam was actually pretty decent for the price though.