Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
This has been buggin the hell out of me, don't think anyone's pointed it out, but on Garbage's hoodie, the acorn design, when the hoodie got recoloured, thank the gods above, they didn't bother fixing the acorn. It's all I can focus on whenever his still comes up, which is probably a good thing, as I'm too busy fixating on it to be assaulted by the rest of Garbage's design.

See?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I think the grey hoodie was a better choice artistically. They could have at least used a different shade of blue. This is art so of course YMMV.

Data Graham posted:

Meowing.

Wait

You step into Cover's house. Afternoon sunlight streams in through the strangely mismatched windows. You've never seen this many electrical outlets before. They seem to glare at you in with frozen, upside-down screams. Clover cautiously descends the staircase and greets you:

"Let me tell you about the F-35..."

You inventory every choice in your life that has led to this moment. You regret every single one. All you can do is nod patiently as the ram prattles on.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 2, 2017

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Three-Phase posted:

You step into Cover's house. Afternoon sunlight streams in through the strangely mismatched windows. You've never seen this many electrical outlets before. They seem to glare at you in with frozen, upside-down screams. Clover cautiously descends the staircase and greets you:

You inventory every choice in your life that has led to this moment. You regret every single one. All you can do is nod patiently as the ram prattles on.

You silently pray that the straps holding the entire structure together will fail and end everything. Maybe the swamp will swallow the whole damnable edifice.

But there is no escape. There is only beige.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

This was not a post I expected to see in this thread. :shittypop:

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Obligatum VII posted:

All this talk of making a parody game did suddenly remind me of Ironclaw, which, incredibly bad art direction aside (get the artist of lackadaisy, ask them to draw furry slayers as book cover), is actually legitimately good (and even has at least some decent art as of 2E, albeit only from one artist in one section). There's an F&F review of it:
http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/night10194/ironclaw-squaring-the-circle/

Also, regarding Major/Minor, I think it's so irredeemable that it would even drag down a parody of it. You'd probably be better off writing something from scratch if you actually wanted to spite Klace and this train wreck.

Edit: If Sanguine ever somehow licensed a CRPG for Ironclaw, I'd probably play it, assuming it was a competent studio that did it. I like the setting.

Ahh, Ironclaw. I've had off and on interest in that system, but to be legit I feel that even if I do get it I'd toss the mechanics out the window and replace them with my preferred storytelling base system, like FATE or the Cypher system. I've heard about the guy being very opinionated against storytelling RPGs in general for some reason, which doesn't strike me with confidence given that I love storytelling RPGs and very much prefer their machinations over dungeon crawl or simulationist style games, but apparently the creator's been coerced into using a system that takes root in storytelling style for his next Kickstarter game, so who knows.

I've pretty much thrown myself at development for my own tabletop RPG, given that it's developed by furry community members and has a significant chunk of bestial races, it could actually qualify for that aforementioned anthro award. Hopefully that award gets more merit, though I'm really questioning the quality of the choices presented.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Me and the wife got to discussing how we would fix this game. We ended up cutting it in half. She would preserve the parts with the celebrity and the murder mystery. This would allow you to keep more of the self-inserts in the role of suspects. The incompetent assassins would become incompetent cops, which would explain why the player had to do investigations.Tiger Trump and Velazquez would be corrupt managers. Eclair the maid would be a jilted ex, and you could slot in everyone with their own reasons for not liking Klace.

I'd keep the other world and political intrigue. To start with the character would be an English teacher in Japan who didn't count on the xenophobia in Japan and felt isolated, and everyone on this side is human. We'd then get whammied into the other world which is also unwelcoming of newcomers and has its own political troubles. I feel this would have a strong thematic connection to entering the furry fandom and the universal human problem of rejection and integration.

We like talking about weird stuff. :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The reason Furry poo poo is almost universally awful is simple: Look at how much acclaim this piece of poo poo got on Steam by its players just for BEING furry. They don't demand anything better than something that hits the sparkledog buttons, so why would the stuff they get ever rise above it? Its identity as a furry thing is all that it needs to have a niche fanbase that will make it do well enough to make another lovely game.

E: I mean, it's the same reason a Christian movie that's all about how awful secularism is is gonna be awful, or another pandering anime that knows all it needs is some little girls and cliches and sad people will throw shittons of money at it. These kinds of niche as hell things don't need to be good to do well, so why would they bother being any good?

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 2, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
the thing about furry games is that either the furry part is incidental to its quality, in which case just making human characters is universally a better choice, or integral to it, which means that it's probably pretty bad, because the only thing that the "furry community" has in common is a disturbing acceptance of the abnormal and some degree of infatuation with anthropomorphic animals

There are stories you can tell using an anthropomorphic animal race as a proxy for actual minority repression, but you have to tread ridiculously carefully if you don't want to come off as equating people's revulsion towards a cosplay/fetish group with actual racial persecution.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I'm a bit late on the topic of "furries who are reasonable people and competent artists," but this guy is a pretty okay guy, and he gets Actual Professional Art contracts, like he's commissioned to do stuff for Payday 2 fairly regularly. He's into furry stuff but it doesn't consume his life or anything, and going through his furry tag on Tumblr, half of it is "delete this post" stuff. Or this.

The worst thing I've seen him do is be rudely dismissive when I send him cryptic asks non-anonymously, which I figure is as much on me as it is on him.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Night10194 posted:

The reason Furry poo poo is almost universally awful is simple: Look at how much acclaim this piece of poo poo got on Steam by its players just for BEING furry. They don't demand anything better than something that hits the sparkledog buttons, so why would the stuff they get ever rise above it? Its identity as a furry thing is all that it needs to have a niche fanbase that will make it do well enough to make another lovely game.

E: I mean, it's the same reason a Christian movie that's all about how awful secularism is is gonna be awful, or another pandering anime that knows all it needs is some little girls and cliches and sad people will throw shittons of money at it. These kinds of niche as hell things don't need to be good to do well, so why would they bother being any good?

I agree with you here to an extent. This is poo poo and survives because its niche market will always throw money around just because it caters to them. The Christian movie market, anime, etc etc are all perfect examples of being able to carve out a profitable niche. That said, I can't help but say "of course, they should try to be good. Isn't that the point?"

I am doing a lot of spring cleaning and found one of my hardback books of the comic, Mouse Guard. Its a bunch of stylized mice having adventures in a medieval setting, though they are literally mice sized so a snake is basically a D&D dragon to them. Its great, fun, and drawn in a very neat, stylized setting. The mice are very similar looking but the artist takes time to characterize them in simple ways so you always know who is who. Its a good example of anthropomorphic animals being used in a cool way. I know I posted about creating a lesson plan around the book, Watership Down, and that book is just fantastic and is compromised of nothing but animal characters.

I get your point, i just don't like the idea that sub-genre should be poo poo because its sub-genre, no need to try hard. It feels so self-defeating.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Added Space posted:

Me and the wife got to discussing how we would fix this game. We ended up cutting it in half. She would preserve the parts with the celebrity and the murder mystery. This would allow you to keep more of the self-inserts in the role of suspects. The incompetent assassins would become incompetent cops, which would explain why the player had to do investigations.Tiger Trump and Velazquez would be corrupt managers. Eclair the maid would be a jilted ex, and you could slot in everyone with their own reasons for not liking Klace.

I'd keep the other world and political intrigue. To start with the character would be an English teacher in Japan who didn't count on the xenophobia in Japan and felt isolated, and everyone on this side is human. We'd then get whammied into the other world which is also unwelcoming of newcomers and has its own political troubles. I feel this would have a strong thematic connection to entering the furry fandom and the universal human problem of rejection and integration.

We like talking about weird stuff. :v:

Yeah, and to add to what the two above me are saying—the trouble with overthinking the role furries and humans play in a universe like this is that it isn't what the furry audience wants.

Authors always try to ascribe meaning to the animal traits of their characters, from Maus to Zootopia—it matters what species everyone is. It's part of a metaphor. But for people steeped in the fandom, species is just a matter of personal taste, and totally incidental to any cohesive story anyone is trying to tell. I'm generalizing of course and there are counterexamples, but if you put humans into the M\M universe and tried to illustrate something meaningful by their presence, you wouldn't win an audience from within the fandom, you'd alienate it.

What I'm saying is that the incoherence of M\M's setting is part of why it's apparently popular; it just takes furriness for granted and doesn't try to make it a part of the story at all.

E: make that a few posts up, beaten

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
This touches on something that I realized when I was a child and "Christian Rock" was kind of thing that was happened. A lot of sub-culture stuff makes no actual attempt to build on its own cultural identity and instead apes something else that's popular and staples themselves onto it. As a result it just comes off as bland an inauthentic.

Of course, as somebody else has pointed out, "furry culture" really has no commonality beyond identifying with anthropomorphic animals, so building something out of furry culture is pretty much impossible. (Maybe Zootopia succeeds at this, I haven't watched it).

I don't know where I'm going with this post.

Major/Minor is a giant steaming pile of poo poo regardless of anything. The fact that it's furry somehow has very little to do with how terrible it is.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think the RPG Ironclaw (listed above) does a very good job of making furryness integral to its setting, while not making it overwhelming in such a way to alienate everybody. Each species in Ironclaw has its own traits, but these are just minor boosts, enough to differentiate a character from the rest while still being very well balanced so one party member's racial traits doesn't outshine anyone else's.

blankd
Mar 26, 2010

Crazy Ferret posted:

I ust don't like the idea that sub-genre should be poo poo because its sub-genre, no need to try hard. It feels so self-defeating.
^^^That's pretty much my stance too.

WRT to the furry stuff, I don't really consider myself a furry, but I am aware one of my on hold projects has attracted some furry fans because wouldn't you want to date a vagrant sharkman or a hedonistic kawaiinekoman merchant? I'll try to finish it this year guys, wish me luck at the awards. :sparkles:

The murder mystery edit is a great and would make a fine enough standalone game IMO.

Anyway, I don't think any meaningful edits (aside from the obvious start over) can be made to the fantasy side of M\M since no one knows what the gently caress Rabies' actual special power or role is aside from being a witness. There are some obvious, but generic "fixes" for the fantasy side like how he IS simply the chosen one who must do X or Y whatever, or he is just some normal person and your choices take him to greatness or ruin OR maybe that is somehow his purpose, he's there to simply observe and whenever he 'gameovers' is when he passes some kind of judgement or record of that world. A Major decision made by a Minor character if you would. :hurr:

EDIT: Just in case, I have nothing against furries, I'm just not part of the community.

blankd fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 3, 2017

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Three-Phase posted:

I've always had the opinion of if you're going to do something wrong, put some planning and effort into it.

Spoken from experience with industrial power supplies? :ohdear:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Feel like things are getting a wee bit heated against furries. Just keep in mind that Klace is a person, and horrible visual novels are not anything new or special.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
^- I think critique and parody and discussion is OK. But I'm not a fan of say "mini-helldumping" anyone.

Wait, you registered in '09... does anyone in this thread not know about the incidents in the early-2000s on this site? Anyone? Don't be shy here...

Anticheese posted:

Spoken from experience with industrial power supplies? :ohdear:

No; awareness of weird people on the internet.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 3, 2017

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

GeneX posted:

the thing about furry games is that either the furry part is incidental to its quality, in which case just making human characters is universally a better choice, or integral to it, which means that it's probably pretty bad, because the only thing that the "furry community" has in common is a disturbing acceptance of the abnormal and some degree of infatuation with anthropomorphic animals

There are stories you can tell using an anthropomorphic animal race as a proxy for actual minority repression, but you have to tread ridiculously carefully if you don't want to come off as equating people's revulsion towards a cosplay/fetish group with actual racial persecution.

That's a pretty big problem, yeah, most people don't ask themselves "would anything be different if I just used humans"? Though you don't have to use animals-as-metaphor for them being anthropomorphic animals to be meaningful. Playing off of the talents that the considerably diverse physical traits of the various species would lend themselves to can make for some interesting possibilities. It's one reason why I like Ironclaw, because it makes the species choice matter a fair bit, although it also leaves open the option to play against type and be, say, the world's most clumsy cat.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crazy Ferret posted:

I get your point, i just don't like the idea that sub-genre should be poo poo because its sub-genre, no need to try hard. It feels so self-defeating.

I mean, I spent all that time writing that Ironclaw review someone else linked earlier because I think the stuff that IS good should get exposure, because of course stuff shouldn't be bad just because it can get away with it.

Like, one of the reasons it works in Ironclaw is because it uses being furry to add a shitload of mechanical and thematic variation in the player character races. Instead of elves and dwarves and stuff, you have like 30 mechanically distinct species and it makes the setting colorful and gives players tons of options that the writers spent a lot of time balancing pretty well. Any way you slice it that's pretty good in a TTRPG.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 3, 2017

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Three-Phase posted:

^- I think critique and parody and discussion is OK. But I'm not a fan of say "mini-helldumping" anyone.

Wait, you registered in '09... does anyone in this thread not know about the incidents in the early-2000s on this site? Anyone? Don't be shy here...
Oh for sure critique, but then you see like "Furries are horrible" to paraphrase it's just a bit like... Come on now.

Anyway I don't know. I know furries generally were/still are a main target of hate for Something Awful... Other than that I don't think so?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Night10194 posted:

I mean, I spent all that time writing that Ironclaw review someone else linked earlier because I think the stuff that IS good should get exposure, because of course stuff shouldn't be bad just because it can get away with it.

Like, one of the reasons it works in Ironclaw is because it uses being furry to add a shitload of mechanical and thematic variation in the player character races. Instead of elves and dwarves and stuff, you have like 30 mechanically distinct species and it makes the setting colorful and gives players tons of options that the writers spent a lot of time balancing pretty well. Any way you slice it that's pretty good in a TTRPG.

Ahh, I did not make the connection when I read through that writeup earlier that you were the author of the post. It was really good. Truth be told, I own that book somewhere in my collection. Bought during some random flash in the pan moment at a game store plus I have an acquaintance with one of the artists, albeit minor. I generally like Ironclaw for the same reason I like talking animals as a setting for fantasy RPGs in that Humans and Semi-humans (the majority of elves, dwarfs, so forth) are boring, and having a bunch of mechanically different animals races is so much more interesting. It also taps into that reason I like RPGs and Fantasy in general. I am a human and that's all well and good, but when I choose to make believe, I want to really reach out and do something different. Ironclaw is cool and that write up reminded me as to why is was cool. Cheers! It helped me through a very boring day at work.

To be honest, I agree with much of your post. I merely wanted to make a point that saying a sub-genre work is (or should be) a lame cash-in of that relevant genre is self defeating. The point you made regarding Christian movies was appropriate. They do well and are profitable. I am the complete antithesis of their audience so I avoid them and think little of them. That said, I would still appreciate it if they tied to be good movies in and of their own right. I think we are more in agreement than not so I apologize if I came across as otherwise. I just wanted to make a point that furry stuff CAN be good, but this "visual novel" is most certainly not and that's its own drat fault, not the genre as a whole.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

Crazy Ferret posted:

Ahh, I did not make the connection when I read through that writeup earlier that you were the author of the post. It was really good. Truth be told, I own that book somewhere in my collection. Bought during some random flash in the pan moment at a game store plus I have an acquaintance with one of the artists, albeit minor. I generally like Ironclaw for the same reason I like talking animals as a setting for fantasy RPGs in that Humans and Semi-humans (the majority of elves, dwarfs, so forth) are boring, and having a bunch of mechanically different animals races is so much more interesting. It also taps into that reason I like RPGs and Fantasy in general. I am a human and that's all well and good, but when I choose to make believe, I want to really reach out and do something different. Ironclaw is cool and that write up reminded me as to why is was cool. Cheers! It helped me through a very boring day at work.

To be honest, I agree with much of your post. I merely wanted to make a point that saying a sub-genre work is (or should be) a lame cash-in of that relevant genre is self defeating. The point you made regarding Christian movies was appropriate. They do well and are profitable. I am the complete antithesis of their audience so I avoid them and think little of them. That said, I would still appreciate it if they tied to be good movies in and of their own right. I think we are more in agreement than not so I apologize if I came across as otherwise. I just wanted to make a point that furry stuff CAN be good, but this "visual novel" is most certainly not and that's its own drat fault, not the genre as a whole.

Other than the animal themes, furries aren't that much different from anime fans. A lot of content out there varies in quality and can be polarizing, but people often find their own niches rather than universally liking anything just because it has dogboys.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Klace's bodyguard took a train and a bus and a plane out of Tokyo.

"It's almost as if his location has changed, somehow."

How convenient.

We found a letter in his room, though. It simply reads: "I'm sorry".

Hmm. An admission of guilt, perhaps?

It doesn't seem that way. If he did this -- he wouldn't be sorry. In fact, he wouldn't leave anything behind.

Number of people that have regretted killing someone: 0.

It seems to be more of a genuine apology. Perhaps he's ashamed that he failed us. It was his duty to protect Klace, after all.

I like to think that the general stress of his job and Klace's death has just driven Singe completely off the deep end, as evidenced by him thinking the Shinto Creation Myth Memorial Tour was a good idea.

I'm getting the image of Jade just carrying on a normal conversation while Singe is just jabbering nonsense while trying to eat his computer and it's hilarious. The game is simply translating his ravings for us! :v:

Or maybe it was to throw us off the trail. Now he'll just go live in silence. We need to hunt for him -- immediately.

Are the cops just not considering this guy a prime suspect or something?

That's a pretty far-fetched theory. I don't mean any offense, Singe.

Far-fetched, coming from you? I thought you relished in "far-fetched". Things being both alive and dead at once.

You write about quantum mechanics all day. And you say my theory is far-fetched? At least I've based mine on reality.

There's something funny about the implication that Jade barely does her job and spends all of her time writing about not-quantum physics instead.

I'm sorry, Jade. That was rude of me. It's just been a really long night. And I don't think it'll end anytime soon.

I'll accept your apology. You're under extreme duress, after all.

Also because Klace doesn't know how to program a fight scene into this game.

Thank you. So what do we do now?

I think we just move on with our lives. There's not much else we can do. We'll just pay attention to media reports.

Said the lady who tried to explain the entire murder mystery to a person who was basically a complete stranger.

It's not that simple.

It is that simple! :argh:

I do agree, but we can't just sit around. The tour isn't going to run itself. We have lots to do -- and in so little time.

First and foremost, a new bodyguard. We'll need to hire some protection. Not just for Dazz -- but for everyone.

I have a few candidates gathered here. I went on a little hunt for CV's. And I've already run the background checks.

WANTED: (1) Bodyguard to protect idiot band members. No experience necessary. Glowing tattoos a plus. Contact Jade or Singe when he isn't worshiping a shrine he made out of a toilet and duct tape.

- Singe, noted sane person.

Don't mention it. I'm just doing what you pay me for. I recommend the candidate named Acheron. His past experience is very impressive. That -- and he has a perfect track record.

Very well. I'd like to see him. Can you call him here immediately? I'm sure he'll understand our predicament.

Of course, Singe. But one more thing. What should we do with the contest winners? The sun will rise soon, and I have no idea.

"The sun will rise soon"

Absolutely no loving native English speaker would phrase 'it's almost morning' like that. Klace is Canadian, so it's not like he can use the secondary language excuse.

I had completely forgotten. It's always something, isn't it? Bring them to me when they wake up, okay?

I'll decide what to do when I meet them. This has turned into one huge headache.

And so Rabies McFutts returned to the United States and ushered in an age of darkness that reigned for o'er a thousand years.

Speaking of Rabies, looks like he's also taken a plunge into the sea of madness.

Hey -- are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost!

I'm pretty sure seeing Kila is objectively worse than seeing a ghost.

I don't really believe in ghosts all that much. But I'd assume I'd feel the same at seeing one for real. This is the last possible thing I expected to happen.

Snap out of it, okay!? There's lots to talk about here.

That much was true. I'm snapped back into reality. Perhaps a thorough explanation of this can help me. Because right now I'm still wondering why Kila is here. I decide that this is a good question to start with.

Well -- I remember one last thing. We were in the hotel, watching some TV. And they reported that Klace was killed...

And Rabies was rooting around the room for a blunt object to strike Kila with.

Wondering if Righty knows something about Klace? Well keep wondering, because this line is never elaborated upon.

But then, that's all I remember from Tokyo. As quick as I saw that -- I was here. I thought I was hallucinating or something. I panicked and eventually collapsed. I ate a face full of soil, embarrasingly [sic].

I was on the ground for a really long time. That is -- until this guy found me.

He motions his head towards Righty.

Yeah -- that's how it happened. I didn't think the ritual would bring two. So as soon as I could, I snatched Kila up.

This doesn't make sense for a variety of reasons. Is there any real reason it brought both Kila and Rabies? Did Kila pop out first? If so, how did the assassins not notice?

Okay, so Kila did arrive first. Again, how they notice notice a giant loving squirrel getting hurled into the dirt near them?

I'm starting to think those two are less stupid and more blind and deaf.

I had to find a chance to get you alone. That's why I invited you down here to talk. Kila has told me a lot about you, as well.

Can I continue now...?

Yes, of course.

Righty told me his side of the story. Let me just say -- it makes way more sense. I think you're following the wrong guys.

You know, I hadn't considered the possibility that Velasquez keeps the assassins employed because he finds their bumbling antics amusing.

Hmm...

I'm not sure how to make this any clearer. The King -does- want Lord Plair to lose. But this Caylen matter is totally separate. There's blatant holes in their orders. But they're too loyal to the King to see. They followed without a single objection.

But Righty here thinks before he acts. He's not a thrall to this "Velasquez". I think he's the good guy here, Rabies.

What do you think? You have my back -- don't you?

NEVER

I'd start a count of plot points that are never explained, but I don't think numbers go that high.

I explained everything to Kila. He had a revelation -- about the ritual. He said that your world suffers from it?

Oh, right. I nearly forgot about that. This whole world -- and the ritual? It ties into the Midnight Deaths.

Your two friends, Endymion and Konrad. The ritual they're performing? It's the sole cause of The Midnight Deaths!

Thank God Kila's explaining a mystery that was resolved a whole chapter ago.

Interesting line of thought. I ask him to elaborate. I want to see if his thoughts line up with my own.

Well, their ritual was once a day. And it had to be at the same time, too! The same rules as The Midnight Deaths. There is a time difference, though. Midnight on Earth could be day time here. Regardless, the ritual steals and Earthling.

And when an Earthling comes here, they die. At least -- they do on Earth. For some reason they live on in Terra.

So this place is literally Hell?

There's no other explanation.

'Glaring holes' is about the only actual trait Kila's theory has.

Hey -- you're right. In that case, I don't know.

Furthermore, his theory assumes some odd things. First of all, that Klace is alive and well on Terra. And second -- that we are both dead on Earth.

I decide not to tell him about The Ark. I play alongside his process of thought. If his theory were true -- there would be three rituals. One for Klace. One for him. And one for me. I direct that challenge to Righty.

And if Rabies is so important to Velasquez, why didn't he just have the assassins spam the ritual?

Hmm...

It can't be a coincidence, though! They're way too similar to ignore! You and I standing here is proof of that. A small timing issue can't prove me wrong. Everything still kind of lines up.

That's not true at all. Klace isn't with us. And Righty says the ritual was only ever performed once. It pokes holes all over Kila's theory. But there has to be a reasonable explanation.

Perhaps the ritual brought all of you. But you just travelled [sic] at different speeds? This would compensate for the difference.

No -- it can't be that. We were still on Earth past midnight. Let me think about this for a moment.

I got it! You know the news report? It was on TV an hour after Klace's death. What if time on Terra just moves faster? If one hour there -- is one day here? Well it explains everything perfectly. The ritual of another day brought us here!

I refuse to accept that this is an actual explanation. This is literally just Klace mumbling an excuse at us and hoping the reader won't press it.

Poor Klace, alone and pantless on a strange world.

That's possible. It's not an overly huge difference. Besides, Endymion and Konrad did talk about time's flow. I still dislike the implication that we're both dead.

As if Rabies the Immortal Cog Monster could ever die. :shepface:

But some of this is just wishful thinking. We don't know the specifics about either world. Namely -- the amount of rituals and Midnight Deaths. If we did, we'd be taking steps in the right direction.

But again -- there were too many coincidences at play. I'd have to stop considering the deaths a mystery now. We needed specifics -- but it clearly involved Terra. And the King's ritual was the most probable cause.

Hey, at least this way they're causing somebody's deaths! :v:

Either way -- we can't learn the truth. Not while chilling down in a wine cellar. I'm sure you can agree with me on that one.

Righty cracks his knuckles loudly. He then stares down at me, menacingly.

One very important question remains. One that you -can- answer here and now.

Who do you believe...? Will you go back upstairs? Will you travel with Endymion and Konrad? Even though the King lies to all of you?

Or will you come with us? We can rescue Caylen as a team. And his testimony will expose Velasquez.

Considering Plair apparently had the authority to arbitrarily arrest Caylen in a courtroom, I don't really think his testimony is going to change matters.

I can't guarantee your safety if you leave. I won't be able to watch over you anymore. But if you side with us. I'll keep you safe.

An immortal ruler that for some inexplicable reason allows open elections.

You're going to come with us, right...? I mean -- we're friends and stuff.

This is a hard decision to make. If I sided against Endymion and Konrad, they'd hate me. I'd probably make enemies out of Velasquez's assassins.

Oh no! I hope they don't assassinate Rabipfffffthahahahahahaha

But on the other hand? Caylen might not have proof. The King may not even be as bad as Righty claims. There's also the risk of the rescue mission failing. That -- and I'd have assassins out to get me.

Siding with Righty and Kila seems very risky. I might not be able to complete my mission as savior.

What's Kila gonna do? Drag us to an even creepier maid cafe?

But Endymion and Konrad will bring me right to the King. I'll be able to hear the plan from the man himself. This would be the easiest route for me to take. Especially if I want to help the man in The Ark.

But what if Velasquez -did- want to use me for evil? There's a chance that meeting him could condemn me. Once we're face to face -- he could do anything.

And what if Endymion and Konrad have a secret agenda? They are assassins after all -- not peacekeepers.

This is a tough choice indeed. I wish it were as easy as the choices back in Tokyo. Things are getting far less black and white on Terra. I stand in silence -- thinking of what to say next.

This is an important decision. So important, in fact, that I'm putting it up to a vote!

Who do we side with? Garbage and Smoky, or the two bumbling idiot assassins? Cast your vote in bold! Buy a fursuit! DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED :unsmigghh:

Blarghalt fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 25, 2017

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
The thought of going with garbage makes me ill, but at least Righty is somewhat competent? Side with Righty

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

On the one hand, Righty is the second most sympathetic character we've seen, and probably the most competent. On the other hand, I want to read the worst possible writing GOTTA GO WITH TWEEDLE DUM AND TWEEDLE DEE THE ASSASSINS

Plus, now that Kila doesn't know anything about what's going on, I expect him to fall into the same dumbfounded stupor Rabies is in. I bet he just gives terrible infodumps now, instead of being actively repulsive.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Today on really insignificant but lovely lines that still manage to annoy the hell out of me:

Blarghalt posted:

I don't really believe in ghosts all that much. But I'd assume I'd feel the same at seeing one for real. This is the last possible thing I expected to happen.

"I think I just saw a ghost, and I don't even believe in ghosts!"

It's seriously like reading a 6th grader's science report.

e: I have no vote because I can't remember if this choice even affects anything.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

inthesto posted:

e: I have no vote because I can't remember if this choice even affects anything.
Oh, so this might not even screw us out of whatever terrible word soup is the true ending. Good to know. :v:

Let's side with Righty.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I side with Smokey on the grounds that his design is the only one that hasn't made me want to tear my eyes out so far.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I "relish in" this decision

(no I don't)

I say go with the two idiots

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
This is like a reverse Sophie's Choice. :psyduck:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

inthesto posted:

Today on really insignificant but lovely lines that still manage to annoy the hell out of me:

"I think I just saw a ghost, and I don't even believe in ghosts!"

It's seriously like reading a 6th grader's science report.

I made the mistake (?) of picking up the first volume of Re:Zero today out of morbid curiosity, and about thirty pages in I had to drop it in self-defense, just because the narrator has no loving idea how to stop talking. Paragraphs and paragraphs and paragraphs of masturbatory nothingness. It reminds me of this.

A couple weeks ago I checked out Rise of the Shield Hero (also not a good series, but for some reason I can't stop reading it), which has grandma-sized font and line spacing and spends half its text sperging about the parameters of the new piece of equipment the hero just picked up, and it still manages to spend more time advancing the plot and characters (in their schizophrenic way) without wasting so much time on literary throat-clearing.

:eng99:

Leamonde
Aug 2, 2012
Online Random Number Generator told me to go with dumb cat and stupid dog: professional rear end rear end ins

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Side with the rear end-rear end-ins

I like the theory that the king keeps them around because they are his idiot pets.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Go with not Kira

blankd
Mar 26, 2010
Righty is the right choice, two idiots is better than three.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Righty, because tweedle-dee and tweedle-bumblefuck are just awful

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Side with the idiot assassins. Kira can stay here and help turn the tavern into a Maid Tavern.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Data Graham posted:

I say go with the two idiots

That's both sides though!?

Righty and Kila because Righty is the least annoying-looking character, bringing the net total to 0 as opposed to the assassins' -2.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Righty. Maybe we'll get a chance to put Kila in his rightful place (the trash can) along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Get as far away from Kila as you can. Do whatever is within your power to ensure that we never see Kila or have to put up with his annoying, boring blue antics again.

I mean honestly how did he even follow us to this planet? What are the chances that the worst character, in anything, ever, would make such an unlikely trip and do it so soon?

• Locked thread