Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Tiger Trump vs the Immortal King Velasquez would be a whole story on its own.

Midnight deaths would be a whole story on its own.

Winning a contest to hang out with a pop idol('s groupies) would be a whole story on its own.

PICK A STORY AND GO WITH IT gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
We could poke holes in this poo poo all day, but I could really care less about them getting quantum physics wrong as a way to explain a parallel universes story. What's really stupid is how it comes up in the first place.

First Rook explains about the mysterious deaths around Tokyo for the protagonists. It's incredibly awkward and out of place, why the gently caress would this guy tell this "disturbing" story to two contest winners who he's supposed to be hosting and showing a good time to? Why would he point out the bizarre details like how they all die at midnight? Klace knows that he's got to establish these details so that he can move on to other stuff, but he has no idea how to do it naturally so he has a random character give a random exposition dump so he can get it out of the way. That scene also has Klace's "brother" hilariously shoehorned in there because the author knows just enough that he should set things up so he can use them later, but it's just so loving awkward. "Oh yeah, that's Klace's brother or something, but DO YOU GUYS WANT TO TALK ABOUT MURDERS!?"

Then Jade, with zero prompting at all, invites a guy she's barely met up to her office so that she can talk about quantum physics and parallel dimensions. Why? Because you need to explain that for the story I guess. As people pointed out he's obviously bumming ideas from better games, in this case Zero Escape. But the thing is that when those games did it, it wasn't always immediately obvious where the story was going with its weird tangents. They were vague, meant to both prime you for things later on, but also to get you wondering on where they were going with it, not to mention the red herrings that get thrown in with the actually important stuff. It's meant to make you think and puzzle things over, but there's no thinking involved in Major/Minor, Rabies just gets told "Hey, this story's gonna involve parallel dimensions. AND THE DIMENSIONS ARE CRASHING TOGETHER OMG!!!!11!"

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Either Rabies McFutts's powers (remember those? me neither) are what makes total strangers vomit their life stories at him, or it's just never explained. Either way it's awful writing.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

blankd posted:

As an exceptionally small voice of disagreement, I don't think that having a character communicating more eloquently with text is a BAD idea but it sure as hell is not used meaningfully here in any capacity.

I also don't think it's impossible or unrealistic that some people have good professionalism when it comes to directing other people but are garbage at handling themselves.

I believe that it's possible to make a good story out of anything, even the types of poo poo that would alienate huge segments of an audience, and even then these concepts have some good potential to them. But Klace clearly has none of the writing chops to make even a good premise work.

I really can't get over how much of hurry the game is to get all this poo poo out the door. Rabies hasn't known any of these people for more than a day. Klace really needed to stretch this out and let the reader get a feel for a character before dropping these little breakdown moments. And yes, I realize how stupid of me it is to say that the game should be longer.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

blankd posted:

2. Does anyone else think the shoulderpads look like an Angry Bird?

Well now I can never unsee that.

So thanks.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Black Mage Knight posted:

I have been trying to follow the actual in-game writing but it is just so much to say so little that my eyes end up sliding off it and ignoring it.

That's a defense mechanism, don't fight it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
A part of me wants to say that there's no way an author would have spent so much effort on Rook, Kila, and... and bird-girl to simply drop them here, but then again I shouldn't put it past Klace to put so much effort into being utterly loving pointless.

But still, it looks like the plot takes place with Tiger Trump and God King Velasquez so why not start the plot there? What have we learned in Tokyo that actually matters?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

EggsAisle posted:

This LP is cool and good. Don't abandon it or Kila will haunt your dreams forever.

Kila haunting their dreams is why the LP is happening in the first place, Blarghalt can't suffer in solitude.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

inthesto posted:

The chapter titles can't even stick to a motif, since chapter 1 was an Earth chapter and chapter 3 is a Terra chapter.

Between them is another Terra chapter titled "The Long Road Ahead"

Said second chapter consisted of... the personality test? Was that the whole thing or am I remembering that wrong?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Everything about this is amazing :allears:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
gently caress Kila, go meet the god king and get this poo poo over with as quick as possible.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

oh god the belts :eyepop:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

I honestly can't decide which set of chompers I prefer for Rabies. Lamprey mouth is twisted and horrific but buck teeth reminds me (in a good way) of lovely Jhonen Vasquez ripoffs that kids in my highschool would draw.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Ikasuhito posted:

Also congratulations on perhaps being the first person to write M/M fanfiction.

I can assure you that there is plenty of M/M fanfiction.

Like, thousands, if not millions.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Leamonde posted:

I can't tell if you're just being serious or not (I also made the mistake at first), but:
Major/Minor = M/M != M/M fanfiction

:thejoke:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I tried to read this update, I really did, but my brain has officially given up.

I have only the the comments now. I don't know how much longer I can last.

I need help.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

Maybe they're "assassins" the same way Samus is a "bounty hunter"? It's just a cool thing to say that you are, regardless of the actual responsibilities?

The problem with that analogy is that Bounty Hunter undersells what Samus does to a ludicrous extent, while Assassin oversells Bulk and Skull to a similar degree.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
On the one hand, that picture reminded me of a pretty rad Protomen song.

On the other hand, it's associating itself with a rad Protomen song in my mind, and I'm not sure I can forgive that.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Man just when I think I've hit maximum capacity on hate...

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
KILL KILA

HOW IS THIS EVEN A QUESTION

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

blankd posted:

I only WISH this were one of the death game animes.

Rabies hasn't been told directly but Shoedoggod supposedly wants a replacement. How any of this convoluted mess is supposed to result in that, who the gently caress knows.

we don't deserve you, you're way too good for this thread, this game, and this whole awful forum.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I have played/watched a lot of the things that Klace is ripping off and I still don't know what the gently caress.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Now that Greenlight is gone, hopefully it'll be his last

I don't see that happening, Klace already has his foot in the door with this game, he's turned a profit off of it, can make even more money by using kickstarter and exploiting a community that's desperate for "representation", and this game still manages to have an 88% positive review score on Steam. It's an absolutely galling thought, but Klace is by all accounts a successful game dev, and Valve is likely to take that into account in the future.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

WrenP-Complete posted:

I haven't played a lot of modern video/computer games and I wanted to learn more, so I asked my friends what to do.

"Read let's plays!" The goons said, so I did.

This was the first one.

I am so, so sorry.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

inthesto posted:

I'll never get over how easily Endymion, the king's "highly trained" personal assassin, gets chumped by a no-name bellhop who has no indication of combat ability

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

bman in 2288 posted:

Ugh. And I'm going to a con later this month, too. What do I do if I see a M\M cosplay?

Take pictures and post them here.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Trawling back through the thread for fanart and this

XavierGenisi posted:

Is there even a choice?

suddenly became way more hilarious.

Go with tittyfox I guess.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Gotta be honest, I only got about halfway through that before giving up.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Remember how Rabies won a lovely prize in a crane game?

Remember how bird-tits thought that parallel dimensions were crashing together?

Remember the maid cafe that got everything about maid cafes wrong?

Remember how Rabies promised Inumi that he'd protect him?

Remember how the pantsless dragon rigged his building with bombs?

Remember how Rook was working on an AI?

REMEMBER HOW NOTHING IN THIS GAME loving MATTERS!?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

hyphz posted:

But then again, I was reminded today that one of the most liked and loved professional VN series features the protagonist falling in love with a murderess who's just using him, and ending up heartbroken, until it turns out she has an identical twin sister who's not at all psycho and is already in love with him.

Phoenix Wright?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I doubt it, but knowing how much it will feed Klace's ego is pretty infuriating in its own right.

• Locked thread