Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

inthesto posted:

Can somebody explain to me what a ellipse followed by an exclamation point is supposed to sound like? One indicates a voice trailing off, and the other indicates a voice ending in excitement. They're mutually exclusive. Why would anyone put them together? (Don't answer that; we all already know the answer).

I'm trying to be an author myself (it's pretty tough!), and one of the things I was taught was that an ellipse is actually not considered punctuation that stops sentences, like periods or exclamation marks. If you use an ellipse to end a sentence, you should actually add a fourth period to indicate that the sentence is complete, and not that your character is pausing for effect. Adding an exclamation point at the end of an ellipse is technically correct, but is considered nonsensical because an ellipse (trailing, halting, stuttering) is an oxymoron to an exclamation point (loud, sudden, forceful).

It's something that doesn't come up often because it's a very uncommonly-known practice nowadays, and with how languages and practices are ever-evolving, it'll probably be phased out entirely sometime soon.

Rereading your post, my post doesn't actually answer your question, but hey, you might have learned something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

inthesto posted:

The only way the dev could have picked a worse tool to make Major/Minor is if they used the Quake 3 engine.

This absolutely would have made it a much better game.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Blarghalt posted:

I see a forlorn look in their eyes. I can tell that life for them is less than stellar. [...] One day -- they would wear faces of true happiness.

You know what's a great resource for writers? It's a free, online, automated service called SlickWrite. It'll do (most) everything an actual editor will help you with: spelling and grammar errors, overuse of certain words or phrases, cliches/colloquialisms, overuse of adverbs (which is a common mistake most amateur writers make), and a whole slew of others. It being a machine, it's not perfect, but it's an amazing tool to help improve your writing. If Klace is so staunchly against taking criticisms from a person, maybe he'll have an easier time being told his mistakes from a computer.

I bring this up because I remember writing a sentence like the quoted one when I was 12.

quote:

That fills me with determination to change this world.

Don't even pretend this wasn't a fuckin' wink-wink to compare this game's protag to Undertale's, as if they were comparable.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Can we just vote to kill ourselves? Compared to the other two options, that one seems pretty tempting.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

What species is Rabies? "Cogwheel" is the obvious comedy option, but is it ever mentioned or brought up? Is Rabies human?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

It's less funny now.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Dude, kill Kila, like, why even bother

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

That's a Keyblade

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Blarghalt posted:

But I'm holding you to your word. If I start to doubt you -- I'll kill you.

If he really thought he was capable of killing Caylen or Kabu, what does he need Caylen for?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

God did his best. It's up to us now.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

krisslanza posted:

So Rabies DOES have a power in him, even though the furry Outsider explicitly told us - and everyone else - that he didn't? I mean, in any other game, I'd expect that to be a lie. But since this game just tells you every plot twist ahead of time, I'd find that hard to believe.

Klace is delivering exactly what he promised: characters lie to you. The twist is, there are so few things being said that are true that you can never know when you're being told the truth. Part of the game's "suspense" is second-guessing every single thing you're ever told.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I've read technically worse works, but I'd hold Major/Minor in lower regard because the author seems to think very highly of himself, whereas the shittier work is clearly done by a guy that just had an idea and wanted to express it (even if that meant plagiarism, poor flow, poor characterizations, no direction, etc), and also because Klace had the balls to charge his audience to read his vomit, and usually, the worse stuff is free.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Uh... your download link isn't working, and even if it was, isn't that :filez:?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

What did we even do to increase our bond with Inumi?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

On a different topic, Blarghalt, I remember your avatar from some other LP you did years ago. I remember enjoying it a lot and I'd like to read it again, but for the life of me I can't remember the game and your name doesn't show on the LP Archive. Mind giving me a hint (in the form of the game's name and/or a link)?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Shoot yourself.

If that doesn't work, or it does and you end up on Terra again anyway, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Sam I guess? See if she has any character whatsoever?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

When are we going to get to the title drop?!?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Of course! It all makes sense now!

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

There is no such thing as an original idea, after all.

For any M\M apologists paying attention: this is not an excuse or a defense.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Curus Keel posted:

to fit the standards of the wiki.

Your first mistake was assuming that TvTropes has standards. We have a :tvtropes: smiley for a reason.

quote:

But nobody really knows or cares enough about the game to actually do that - except for me.

This was your second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

"a white flash flashes before us"

• Locked thread