Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon
I was so waiting for this game to get torn apart here. Such a thing of lazily written schlock, you'd think Klace was more concerned with wordcount and writing his rear end off about pretentious things without realizing to give the main character a voice, other characters that aren't just flat stereotypes, or really anything other than to shoehorn in a bunch of random fursonas and a plot that tries to string together a bunch of loose concepts from the author's favorite video games and media into this absolute blob. And have the outright contempt to fight pretty much anyone would try and put this out by himself. If anything, it makes me happier that I'm putting my own sweet time in my game.

You guys are barely at the start, I've seen this all the way through. As the person who is apparently this game's Jim Sterling, the stuff going on around the game was the icing for what was actually happening in the game. And now it's gotten an Android port, with no name choice or music at all. So you can furry trash while on the road, on an even more ludicrously pared-back visual novel.

Gotta say, never thought I'd be going straight from a Baldur's Gate LP thread to this.

EDIT: Also, the entire existence of the personality questionnaire and its placement in chapter 2 is the creator's reaction to the complaint that there is a lack of real expression for the main character in chapter 1. Rather than dig down and actually address the core issues, the guy just shoehorned a personality quiz in a nonsensical place in hope of shutting those up. Only to pretty much use only the gender from that quiz. That's game design from someone who completely lacks passion for the field.

Curus Keel fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

inscrutable horse posted:

This game isn't worth that kind of effort; it deserves a disappointed sigh and a dejected shrug.

Amen, brother. Was there anything worth learning from the game itself? I've seen how far the rabbit hole went, and it's a doozy.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

So is this the adult visual novel with hush-hush development or is this the one that the developer was having a YCH auction for not too long ago? IIRC, the guy who won that auction had a sheep character as their 'sona. I can already see the colors of the rainbow within the blurred screenshots.

You say the music will blow me away? Prove it. Don't be a pussy.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Really Pants posted:

How did he get anyone else to work with him again? Blackmail?

The power of money, what else?

This particular game seems to have switched from using Pawzi (the two have basically disowned each other) to another artist. FA name of FeyVeras. If you want to get an idea of how his style looks with Klace as the commissioner, here's an example, and here's another. Obligatory disclaimer that the actual style may be different in the actual game, but this seems about right.

Early impressions don't really sell me on this artist to be honest.

Curus Keel fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 23, 2016

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Night10194 posted:

Of course it would be furry overwatch crossover art.

Why wouldn't it.

Wasn't the first time Klace pretended to cosplay as an Overwatch character. I would show that, but I've made a vow to never touch this guy's Facebook page, even if it's with a mile-long pole.

Big problem with this art is that the excessive detail doesn't lend itself to anything more than one or two expressions at a time without skyrocketing the price. And yet, there are glaring issues with the details that are put in. Like, what the hell is with that pose? He looks all twisted up, right arm seems a bit misplaced, wings look like they have bad attachment.. yeah.. honestly, I don't know where to begin with that. I don't think that artist was a good pick.

Honestly, for a visual novel, I'd go for a more simplfiied style that lends itself well to hammering out multiple expressions and poses, creating art that seems more relatable and connected. To show this in an apples-to-apples kind of way, here's what an actual favorite artist of mine does with the same concept.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Night10194 posted:

I mean a shitton of Furry stuff is to avoid having to draw human faces, already.

If TV Tropes has a fairly detailed page on it, then the tendency's certainly there. Furry and scaly creatures don't really hit upon the uncanny valley.

Well, they don't hit upon the uncanny valley as often.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon
It's his tendency to remove posts once they get unwanted attention, but yeah, that was supposed to be a teaser for this next visual novel.

And oh lord does he love to repeat himself though retweeting himself so many times over. It's positively ridiculous.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon
In other news, since I had Google wallet credit from so many surveys, I had enough money to buy the Major\Minor mobile port without spending a cent from my bank account. I was curious about what the differences were - in more detail. May post more later.

If nothing else, you might get my own commentary.

Curus Keel fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 24, 2016

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Ikasuhito posted:

Wait, i've never heard this. Someone tried to gas a furry convention? Why?

Long story. Klace only says he found the culprit, but I think he was just pointing fingers at random people. Think his popularity rise was more due to relentlessly promoting his game and getting the hype trains rolling in his favor.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon
Major\Minor: The Mobile App

I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey.

It started with a push notification, from an application I haven't touched in a long time. That app was Furry Animo, a social media application for the community that I quickly lost interest in after seeing how its flashiness and hyperactivity seemed to pander to overexcited teens and pre-teens in the community.

But I kept it installed. Early one morning, I checked my phone in my haze, and saw from that app, a notification about Major\Minor. At the time, I just fell right back asleep, went right into a dream with little realization.

I woke up to find that notification again. It was saying that Major\Minor was on Google Play. I investigated, the creator of the game has made a post and got it featured, with people clamoring over and asking about it. But checking the actual store entry, I saw a $5 game that... well, admitted some rather weird commissions.

Can't name your character. No audio at all. Save files apparently don't show the current location. Klace says it was to "minimize filesize", but really, that could have been done just by removing all the stock and unused RPG Maker assets within the game. And what size gain could you get from removing the ability to name a character? I posted my criticism of these issues, but that was later removed from the actual post - because of course it was.

I was in two minds about actually doing so, until today, when I realized that I had more than enough store credit to purchase the app, all because of Google's own survey rewards application.

Wasting a tech company's money on this game was better than just wasting a single cent on this game. Besides, there's discovery here.

The game boots up basically the same, just with an added subtitle and the removal of Fox Amoore's credit. Along with it, no audio at all.

I did notice that, after blowing up the screenshot, there's apparently a faint ghost of Reiyo, our Furry Outsider, on the right side of the screen. Not sure why he's there, only to be all mysterious and crap.

But, well.. not a whole lot of effort went into making the game more appropriate for mobile. The menu system, well, it requires you to tap on the arrow buttons to the side to scroll through the options. As opposed to the default of swiping a finger, or just presenting the New Game and Load Game buttons.

The options screen is even more useless here, as alongside the useless "command remember" option, all of the volume options are useless thanks to the removal of any and all audio. The Shut Down button on the menu does shut down the game, but you can also do that through the Android system interface itself.

Not shown: If you go away from the Major\Minor app and then go back to it, you'll come back to a bunch of screen flicker or an otherwise garbled screen. Convenient if you want to start up a rave party, not so if you just want to play the game. It'll reset itself if you go out and go back into the app.

Anyway, the game wastes no time in going over the basics for the device. Even then, I'd have to point out about fixed save points - when you're on the go and playing this game, wouldn't you want to have a quick exit point for when your attention's needed? The handheld-designed Phoenix Wright visual novels handled this brilliantly with an anytime yet one-slot save system, so what gives? Beyond laziness.

The actual game starts pretty much as normal. Repetition about not being able to survive in space included, and the wordcount padded out like a girl after her first period.

Despite the lack of a name entry system (seriously, couldn't figure out how to use the Android keyboard?), we do still get the same prompt as if we could enter a name.

But of course. We're now Taylor. Praying that the surname isn't Swift.

So apparently we're Taylor Aria. What a weird name. Google hits up Aria Taylor, but no Taylor Arias. Your guess is as good as mine.

Taylor still receives the same mysterious non-explanation of their powers, dialogue is the same. What makes this bloody annoying is that screen flicker issue I've mentioned before, compunded by when you go out and back into the game, you end up advancing the dialogue just by doing so. You could seriously miss lines by doing that - not that I would mind that much, had I not been screenshotting.

Same save screen, same save file thing, yadda yadda. I'll stop here - I'd rather join on as Blarg's co-commentator than try and one-man this sub LP on my own. There are plenty of further holes I can poke in this game, and I'm sure that two can take pain better than just one.

Besides, I wanted to see the name that I'd get in this weird mobile port.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

FractalSandwich posted:

I don't see this guy doing anything weird to get the engine to do what he wants, so is RPG Maker's mobile build support maybe not the best, or what?

I wouldn't be surprised in this case. It might even be an incompatibility with Android 7.0 and RPG Maker. Maaay report that later to the makers of the engine.

Since the developer is one of the least technically minded people I've ever seen (seriously, he thinks that Ren'Py/Python doesn't support variables and conditional branching), I think he was mostly hands-off with this port.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

FractalSandwich posted:

You heard it here first: one of the most prolific general-purpose programming languages in the world is not Turing complete.

That's pretty far out there. I can't even imagine what he must have seen or heard to make him think that.

Here's the actual reason the developer gave. He seemed to think that Ren'Py and Tyrannobuilder were unable to support complex branching with variables, even though both engines can. And when you consider that Ren'Py is technically a big module on top of the workhorse that is Python, it's easy to extend his ludicrous claim towards the language itself.

He's really not a programmer.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon
I'd advise against showing the creator either "Long Live the Queen" or "Black Closet". Not unless you want his head to explode.

He really could have made this using a paint-by-numbers VN generator instead of kludging the cutscene system to fit the game.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

FractalSandwich posted:

It was absolutely made in Renpy, but it's just as much a visual novel as Major\Minor is an RPG. :v:

Well, Black Closet was transformative with the engine Klace said didn't support variables and conditions.

Like I said, bringing that game near him will reduce him to ludicrous gibs.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon
To amend my earlier posts about Klace's incompetent coding, when he was showing the game around Reddit, he released a proof of concept screenshot that looked vastly different to the final game:

That vast difference? Horrendous font choices aside, it's a dead ringer for the visual novel interfaces Tyrannobuilder generates:

Even has the same exact setting gear in the bottom right corner of the screen. So why didn't he go with Tyrannobuilder for this game? :iiam:

Curus Keel fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 25, 2016

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon
As soon as you have a background, a character or two, and text, you'd be able to make a visual novel screenshot that could get people excited. But you'd need way more than that to actually make something concrete.

Furry community wanted representation, so any news of a furry game, no matter how good, will cause at least some portion of the community to go and rush over to it.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

inthesto posted:

Merry Christmas, y'all

Yes, the trailer is just three minutes of a title screen

Well, the music's nice, and one of the characters appears to have more than two total expressions drawn for the screenshots. That's improvement. :v:

But yes, the title strikes as something that the creator really only spent 5 seconds working on. "Winds of Change"? You couldn't really get more uninspired, it really says nothing about the themes this new game attempts to hit upon. Did he even shop the title around for feedback from a friend or something before releasing it? It's really not good.

Black Mage Knight posted:

Also I am not reading that blob of "world building", so can someone sum it up?

It follows the basic form of a hero's journey story, from what I've read so far. Individual vs authoritarian is the main conflict here. Kind of makes me think of the original Star Wars movie.

Plot summary: The world of Alestia is rife with spiritual energy, which appears to be totally composed of the souls of those who have died. There might be other kinds of spirits, like ones grounded to the land or objects or animals or whatnot, but that's just extrapolation. The spirit realm is tapped into by two forces: The Triumvirate, the glorious yet tyrannical regime who taps into the realm to learn from the mistakes of the dead, and the small and sheltered village of Valenorth (gee, creative name), who (somehow) use the dead to see into the future. The main character of the story, Valessa, would have been the latest of Valenorth's seer heritage, but her powers of future sight were stolen. To find out why, she ends up with the growing rebellion against the Triumvirate, earning them unwanted attention from the regime and their top agent, The Grand Inqusitor. Together, they embark on a journey of self-discovery and character growth, and I'm really hoping you play as Valessa or a prominent figure in the rebellion 'else this narrative's going to completely collapse in on itself.

Questions: What's the scale of the world? Are there any other places besides Valenorth where people can see into the future? What were those fallen empires that came before, and why couldn't they somehow see into the spirit realms? What mistakes did they make? Is this the extent of the magic, or can people use the spirit realm's power to execute arcane spells or even primal magic? If so, can I play a druid? I want to play a druid. What goes into making a seer a seer? What's Valessa's heritage? Are there any factors that give the rebellion any unusual strength, like a plot token or artifact of some kind? What's the lifestyle like of someone who lives in Alestia, and what are the similarities and differences between the different locales? Does the Grand Inquisitor actually have powers of the divine, does he actually root out dissent or non-compliance, especially in the world's religion? Does the Triumvirate have a religion, and if so, what is it?

I could probably extrapolate and answer these questions given time, but then I'd be writing the story, not Klace. He'd have to answer them for himself, and I doubt his skill is up for it. As for the naming, well... Alestia hits upon a minor Mass Effect character, which could be a coincidence, although the creator has a love for Garrus and even at one point used that character's last name for his own. So who knows. Triumvirate would work if htere's actually three main parties in the ruling within the story. Valenorth is kind of a realistic name for a town, if it was located north of a notable vale, and the Grand Inquisitor... well, he better root out non-compliance or he won't live up to his name.

Based on this, I'd say better titles would be "Unseen Fates", "The Future Is Bright", "Condemned to Repeat" (those who cannot remember the past are), "Empire of the Ages", "Which Hasn't Been Written", and "Alestia: The Fallen's Disturbance".

shibbotech posted:

You see, I've met Klace in person. One of my friends introduced me and hyped this guy up like a celebrity. Dude's a massive egotist and has his head shoved so far up his rear end you'd think it was one of his kinks. But I listened to his droning sales pitch about his little baby of a game and looked it over on Steam that night. The sheer disparity in quality from what he was claiming versus the material he put up to sell the drat thing was incredible. Normally artists are their own worst critics, but this guy thought his RPG Maker VN was some AAA-GOTY-tier project.

More a salesman than an artist. There's giving people the elevator pitch about what you've made, and then there's this. It takes someone who would take any praise like it's from the heavens themselves in order to actually go forward with the game and be blind to its obvious faults.

Curus Keel fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 25, 2016

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

FractalSandwich posted:

There's not really a secret to it besides "they're not good writers and don't have good editors". Even a very good technical translator probably can't write good dialogue or prose on their own.

I can imagine, it's a lot of effort to put a spin on Japanglish text to make it sound more like English when your focus is on the technical meaning. The best thing to do in that scenario is to pair the guy up with a writer/editor who may not know Japanese, but knows how to put a stylistic spin on the written content so that it reads more like what you'd expect from English media.

Preferably one that can revise and cooperatively edit with the translator to create the best result. Pairing up with someone who has the skills you need can make wonderful things happen, better than writing on their own.

Pity. Klace could really use a person to cooperate with him, but well.. I've tried, I'm surprised about how bored I was trying to talk to him about even his inspiration, Persona 4.

EDIT:

Data Graham posted:

I honestly can't wait to see whether the Triumvirate ends up involving three of anything, or if it's just a word Klace ran across in some anime and thought it meant "evil bad guys in power".

Probably would end up misusing it, just like I fear he'll do for "The Grand Inquisitor". That could easily be misused, and while it brings up really, really interesting ideas in my head, Klace doesn't think the way I do.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

FractalSandwich posted:

It's not even a question of effort. If you happen to know Japanese, but have little to no experience with creative writing, it won't be something you even know how to do. God knows I don't.

Again, pair the translator with an editor versed in creative writing, and give them a fast communication line from day 1. Best of both worlds.

Anyone can become a writer, but only the fearless can be great. And if it's not an interest, I wouldn't force it upon them.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

blankd posted:

Also as a word of warning, do NOT read Klace's comments in that one Steam Review unless you really need to confirm how much he suffers embodies the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Well, unless you are the writer of the review in question and had to try and acknowledge the developer's feedback, else you'd look like a fool yourself. Seriously, guy thinks he created a masterpiece with (chapter 4 spoilers) a character rigging the convention center with defensive high explosives after a murder, yet that moment was extremely offbeat and did not fit with the rest of the game, unless it was the visual novel equivalent of Dr. Strangelove. Which, come to think, would be something I'd happily play.

Wanna know the definition of insanity? Look upon this and weep. (spoilers if you scroll up, just scroll down from here)

Curus Keel fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 26, 2016

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

inthesto posted:

Winds of Change now has a tech demo

What tech you say? :iiam: even to the creator himself

Basically looks like Major\Minor with a new coat of paint. Oh, and more than 2 expressions for characters. Now there's one character with 3!

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

blankd posted:

As someone else who's written reviews (specifically been asked for critique/criticism) of other people's work, I can empathize with having to deal with creators too thin-skinned, stupid or both. But I do have to confess that that whole exchange takes the cake and bakery. I don't envy your position, and I won't tell you what to do, but I do question how much more the head-to-wall cycle can go on.

It's basically over at this point, what you are seeing is an archived version of the review where, in my opinion, the developer's reactions were the craziest. Of course, I would worry for those who want to criticize the creator's further games.

blankd posted:

(Didn't you have an icon? I'm not very familiar with how SA titles work but did you assign that to yourself or did someone really pay for that?)

Wasn't me who did it. All I'm saying on that is "could you at least have kept the avatar?" I may change it back, but for now I'm going to stick with switching my username.

blankd posted:

EDIT for the demo/Time for Armchair Amateur VN Gamedev: It mechanically looks the same as M\M except for the save menu which just displays the variable tracker. I guess that's technically an improvement? But that just opens up a bigger question of why isn't there a dedicated status/save button in the UI itself. I'm no MASTER CODER but using Renpy would cover the on-demand save by default and it's not really that much harder to implement a "show status" button on the UI or to show this information in the default settings menu if you wanted to avoid clutter. Is he really using RPG maker again? :stare:

He really is using RPG Maker again, like I said, looks like Major\Minor with a fresh coat of paint. Even there, I don't think it would take a dedicated coder like me to implement a key, a UI option, and/or both to bring up the save menu.

blankd posted:

I think the biggest mystery to me is why put a 'tech' demo instead of an actual demo?

Klace didn't write the story yet, only the pitch. He'll probably write by the seat of his pants on this again.

inthesto posted:

The only way the dev could have picked a worse tool to make Major/Minor is if they used the Quake 3 engine.

Challenge accepted.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Perfecto, even down to you using the background image from Dreamstime. Originally, the game used backgrounds purely yanked from GIS, a fair few of them with dubious or misused copyright status, so eventually all Dreamstime, all the way.

Curus Keel fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 27, 2016

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

GeneX posted:

Righty looks reasonably normal, in that the design could exist in a fantasy game as a fantasy bear race barbarian dude, which makes up in no way whatsover for the blue dolphin horse woman and the exceedingly creepy raver twink rabbits

He looks normal and in-place compared to the others in the tavern, which makes him all the more different. The stars aligned on that one.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Three-Phase posted:

I wonder if myxomatosis is an STI or not. Or next chapter: "Play myxy for me".

That won't happen. Only beautiful furries are allowed in this game.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Mechanical Ape posted:

Maybe Rabbit Mom was summoned to Earth and she's playing arcade games in Akihabara right now.

If that were the case, that would actually be a good twist.

Because of that, it won't happen in this game.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

inthesto posted:

The best part is that while Righty's design is fine in a vacuum, because everyone else in this drat game looks like they're at a rave or gay club, Righty now looks like a BDSM themed stripper due to context

Hell, even the characters being originally fursonas doesn't explain the weird club theming going on everywhere. There are plenty of examples of fursonas that have general everyday look to them, with clothing that looks in place on both human or anthropomorphized creature alike. I seriously wonder whether it would be better to enforce the self-insert backers to make up their own character exclusive to the game, perhaps calling dibs on predefined roles, or just reducing the number of self-inserts so that it's easier to work them into the game.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon
Waaaaait a minute.

Did Klace really reuse the same uninspired title between visual novels? I don't know what to say, I could have spent 10 seconds and come up with a better title. In fact, even "Two Dogs Walk Into A Bar" would be a better title.

Get off your high horse and stop making meaningless meaningful phrases!

Curus Keel fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 1, 2017

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Data Graham posted:

Yes I pointed that out

BUT IT'S SUCH A PERFECT EVOCATIVE PHRASE AND NOT CLICHE AT ALL

Sad thing is, I actually read your post and was rather confused at what you were getting at, until I looked at the chapter screen again. gently caress me, is Klace trying to make that his favorite phrase? It doesn't appear to apply to his new VN and it definitely doesn't apply here.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Data Graham posted:

Soon to come: "The Calm Before the Storm"

I could swear that he used that title somewhere, but I can't remember where for the life of me. Guess we'll have to find out.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Sindai posted:

Why think about consistency in the world or characters when you can just slam down fart out the first cliche that springs to mind for any situation and move on?

That's the sort of lazy writing I wouldn't even conceive. Often, the first idea about a scenario is the least interesting one, as a writer myself, I've long since internalized the idea of stepping back and thinking about the most interesting and consistent way to advance a scene. Even if it requires tossing in an unprecedented ambush, it at least would be interesting and provide new hooks to expand upon.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

blankd posted:

Other projects that I've seen that allow self-inserts tend to have the character dress up appropriately if they have significant screen time. Due to the amount of extra resources needed to work with the backer and achieve a compromise with the work, this is why self-inserts are almost always the topmost reward tiers. Seeing so many is baffling at best and infuriating at worst.

Pretty much, that's the game's proof. A bunch of self-insert characters in a game, even if done out of goodwill, will result in a cast that's really hard to make a story out of. In fact, even M/M had to resort to making new characters for the female side of things, 'cause nobody with a female character as their default wanted to pay to be in this game. The game would at least be more manageable for the creator if the ratio of self-inserts to original characters was reversed.

drat, this is the kind of artwork that makes me glad for this thread's existence. Half tempted to ask if I can even commission you, but drat, you're a machine with this.

megane posted:

I appreciate that Klace decided to have literally every single solitary place, person, and situation Rabies runs into be actively disappointing. And not just in the "it's badly written so we as readers are disappointed" sense, no, they're called out as lovely in-universe. Everywhere we go, Rabies thinks "hey this place is kinda lovely" and then somebody arrives to say "hi, sorry the place is kinda lovely, and also that I'm terrible at my job. Have I mentioned that I'm emotionally compromised and dislike every other character you've met?" And then nothing important happens, and Rabies makes an internal note about what a huge anticlimax it was.

Lampshading the own deficits in your story does not automatically make the story funnier or better. What it indicates is enough care to see the issues, but not enough to actually address them.

Carlioo posted:

I get that Klace only wanted to use one portrait for some ungodly reason, but couldn't he have commissioned something that at least fit the character's primary emotion?

He commissioned all the art beforehand before figuring out where to even use it, so he went with the default "dopey smile" that most commissioners who can't think of anything better go with. This is going to cause problems, y'see.

Crazy Ferret posted:

I'm starting to think the backers were just paying to have a reasonably talented artist do a pin-up art of their raved out fursonas and did not give a not a lot of consideration to where/how the character would appear in the story. I mean, the artist is proficient even if the art is just so bland and tasteless. All the piercings and belts and neon colors strikes me as such "Special Snowflake" thing that I just end up rolling my eyes or recoiling back in horror like with that day-glow pony thing.

Ding-dala-ding. What's worse is that the aforementioned pony thing was original to this game, being one of the female characters. So Klace and/or the artist had to design it from scratch, and yet their efforts made something that looks about the same as the rando self inserts, if not worse. Believe it or not, early in the game's release, there was actually an OC design that's even worse. Have a look at the character which I'm pretty sure was once Caylen:

Bonus: While talking about earlier versions of the game, at an early point the reporter didn't have a character assigned to it. It only got the character it did after a YCH auction for that spot.

Crazy Ferret posted:

A trip to E621.net :nws: showed a single picture of a rabbit (with either really silly hairspikes or 4 ears so who knows) doing a facepalm saying the game is awful when I searched for Major/minor. That was heartening. Less so when I searched for one of the characters and remember that these were fan "characters" and found porn cause its E621 so I immediately stopped.

Yeah, I'd advise not looking up the characters on furry sites unless you want to find porn. On FurAffinity, however, crawling around there I did find a few examples of actual fanart - I think this counts, Klace actually uploaded it to his page there:

One guy though seems to be the main source of fan-art for this game - I compiled the ones that were fairly work safe into this album. The ones that are :nws:.. well, one shows Konrad bent over drunk with his rear end completely exposed, the other shows the artist's sona character undressing right in front of Reiyo/Furry Outsider within the Ark. Yeeeeaaaah... should I really even be linking these to the LP thread?

Obligatum VII posted:

Because a lot of furries can't comprehend that you can give an anthropomorphic animal a hair style without literally giving them a human hair wig. Despite numerous sources, including other, less imaginatively bankrupt furries, proving otherwise.

This, exactly. Hell, you can make dragons really distinct even if you give them no hair, all by carefully sculpting the design and colors to an imaginative yet easy to understand form.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

blankd posted:

I'm flattered, you're welcome to commission me let me just... slap together a page somewhere. (Until then, I've sent you a friend request on discord.)

Thanks, you may want to resend that request or double check that you've got the right info. Don't see anything on my end, at least not yet. Could Pm you my full contact info, but paying $10 right now just to do that feels like a waste.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, Major/Minor's problem is not that it's a visual novel nor is it a quality unique to Major/Minor.

Major/Minor's biggest problem is just how incredibly poorly produced it was in about every aspect, from the engine to the artwork to the story. Hanako Games' works, VN or no, clearly have a ton of production put into them, as does the Ace Attorney visual novel series. There are plenty of good or at least interesting examples out there - I just think seeing how badly M/M screws things up makes me more cognizant of how other games pull themselves off. There are some things you'd never know you'd miss until they are gone, so to say.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Data Graham posted:

I mean lord knows a good comic is worth all the money it can get. But there's art to it, there's technique. There's respect for the reader. There's a feeling of "wow I sure wish I could do this" as opposed to "I could do this puke-drunk".

Exactly. It must pull you as the reader in, not tell you how to read it or provide nothing to think about within the narrative itself. You should at least care about what happens within if you read it at face value.

Oh, and the work should avoid being a predictable or jangled mish-mash of disparate elements that sound cool on the surface, but just become pretentious when put into paper. And speaking of cliches:

Data Graham posted:

Soon to come: "The Calm Before the Storm"

:colbert:

Curus Keel fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 20, 2017

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Literally everyone else who died didn't matter, the storm was Klace the Character's passing.

Hold on, there were murders before Klace? :v:

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon
There's a fanbase for both the game and its creator, and it clearly got enough revenue and positive attention for there to be another visual novel. Nevermind that M/M is hot garbage and that this new plot can be rather cliche if there's poor worldbuilding and if the terms used lack their meaning.

Truth is, I actually do like what the new novel's plot is getting it. Enough so that I pitched it to my tabletop RPG partner in work. As the pieces clicked with those of my partner's worldbuilt empire, the novel's plot to us became an adventure about an out-of-control artifact that disrupts a spiritualistic and pacifistic small town's behavior and spiritual connections, and it's up to the players to break or seal the artifact using its history to stop its mental control before it breaks the will of the Grand Marshal themself.

I'd argue that with further development, that would become a more fun story to play through, no?

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

inhesto posted:

Why does this script have so many god drat em-dashes? Why? Just use a loving comma!

Don't you know? Cool kids don't use commas - em-dashes are the way of the future.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Ikasuhito posted:

Also of all the horrible things about Dazz's design, I think her blonde ears might be the most irritating for me. Are they supposed to be dyed?

Who knows, maybe the creator likes it better that way. Just like how she ended up getting genderbent from her original male and self-insert form.

And ohhhh... oh, did the part about Not!Kalibur come up this early? Lordy, that's a can of worms that I really need to comment on when it becomes more relevant again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon
Holy crap you guys, please keep up the art. I might have plans to have something of my own added.

Glazius posted:

Huh. For everything that was wrong with this project, they sure managed to sniff out Alolan Grimer way before anybody even suspected that was a thing.

Funny part is, that's supposed to be Klace's take on a popular fantastical race in the furry community, the sergal. Used basically without permission of the actual race's creator or following the terms of service given. That, ah, caused a bunch of problems for the game I'll get into later.

Oh, and speaking of problems, had to archive this from the guy's Facebook.

Klace posted:

It's taken over a year but I finally fixed my damaged reputation from all that stupid drama and faked stuff back when Major\Minor first came out. I knew there was no point in giving up. Even people that hated me back then are looking forward to my next game. It's crazy how a few furries with a vendetta can cause so much trouble. I see the occasional person still spouting old nonsense but it's not enough to be a concern anymore.

Because lying to yourself about the trail of your actions being "faked" is a good way to improve when you make your next very similiar game.

• Locked thread