Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Data Graham posted:

* Length Of Several Novels

I'm going to bet this one does for sure. One really common trait in lovely amateur sci-fi/fantasy/whatever (Considering Tigertrump and Furry Outsider this is obviously going to be a sprawling sci-fantasy 'epic') writing is 'if I write more words I'm better right :downs:' and a profound hatred of editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This was from awhile back but I feel this would be a far superior game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, I think this guy reads mostly translated stuff (anime). It would explain so many of his weird, lovely linguistic quirks. The awkward, stilted dialogue and phrasing. The terrible word choice.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

No_talent posted:

Inumi looks dopey as gently caress. like he's trying to eat his own hand. Or he's wasted.

Wouldn't YOU want to be wasted 24/7 if you had to live in sparkledog furry hell?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zain posted:

Is... is it cause furries like raving?

I imagine it's for the same reason as multicolored anime hair: The character designs won't stand out on their own so they have to add a shitload of neon to them to differentiate.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Waffleman_ posted:

That could also be the anime influence popping up in his writing because a lot of bad anime, especially those based on light novels, like to think that being self-aware of anime tropes means that they're clever, to the point where pointing out overused anime tropes has itself become an overused anime trope.

Of course, the risk in taking this tack is always the audience asking the obvious question: "If you know this scene is poo poo why did you write it that way?"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, what's Akihabara? I know very little about modern Tokyo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

megane posted:

:j: "My boss is under suspicion for murder. However, I've done some thought experiments and one victim didn't own any rope, so I've concluded that the people were actually murdered by a wizard from the future."
:v: "It's hard to believe, but I can't deny that her theory makes a lot of sense."

You can't prove that wizard didn't come from the moon and/or a very incompetent sparkledog assassin's guild.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If it works for Nocturne, it works for every other setting :colbert:

I don't think The Stranger ever went to Tokyo.

(I know which Nocturne you really meant)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

anilEhilated posted:

edit: I think I just learned that there are people who make fursuits for a living. Just how big is this thing in the US? I thought it was just a bunch of cosplay enthusiasts with uncomfortable sexual undertones...

Furries have a shitload of spare money and will spend it very freely. An artist who is willing to draw their stuff or someone willing to make their dumb mascot costumes can make good money doing it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CommissarMega posted:

:staredog: indeed; where do furries get this kind of money? I mean, I'm as much of a shut-in as those guys, but I have nowhere near that kind of cash.

If you have absolutely nothing else you spend money on because you have nothing else in your life and no other hobbies (and live alone) you'd be astonished how much money people can come up with for stuff like that. Same as all those anime shut-ins.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Croccers posted:

I assume from jobs like most people?
Even a good number of those anime-shutins wrangle high-paying respected jobs with college degrees.

Or, like the one I knew in college, they're from a family so rich that they buy him a condo just for his 4 years in college.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Notice the constant, total obsession with JUDGING as the evilest thing.

Furries are basically the Geek Social Fallacies concentrated and metastasized.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

inthesto posted:

Some talking animal fiction is amazing, like Watership Down.

Some talking animal fiction is extremely derivative and kind of racist, like Redwall.

Some talking animal fiction mostly resembles a markov chain generated from Redwall fanfiction.

Major\Minor ranks a few steps below that last one.

Red With The Blood Of The Inferior Filthy Vermin Races, Who Are Forever Marked By Sin And Incapable Of Good Wall is more than 'kind of racist'.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Croccers posted:

That would be the most disappointing super-power ever.
Useful but disappointing, you'd forever be the Distraction Guy.

I feel like you could get a good short story out of that power.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Don't kid yourself, Klace is obviously off to Terra.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So...

what, exactly, have we accomplished?

Klace is dead, that's a positive.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This is actually still less awful than Twisted so far just because there's less enormous murdering being done by the ostensible protagonist.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mechanical Ape posted:

King Velasquez came from another dimension, but here he is immortal, and he likes summoning other heroes from other dimensions to solve his problems. He is the furry Lord British.

I didn't think Lord British could get more loathsome.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

inthesto posted:

To note, the awfulness of Singe's character design is largely covered up by the game's text boxes. Have an uncovered gander!

I don't even think he's wearing pants. :stonk:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GeneX posted:

Do you think we can talk the fuzzy sith knockoffs into purposely loving up a ritual to bring the blue Chipmunk I have already forgotten the name of?

That would involve intentionally killing someone, which is probably against their Assassin code or whatever.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why the gently caress does nobody wear an actual shirt in this universe!? :psyduck:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

anilEhilated posted:

...gently caress. Did the guy play FFX-2?

You know the answer, deep in your heart.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Really Pants posted:

How did he get anyone else to work with him again? Blackmail?

I'm gonna guess money.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Of course it would be furry overwatch crossover art.

Why wouldn't it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Data Graham posted:

Ah yes, the ever popular "Bend Over Backwards to Avoid Having to Draw Hands" technique.

I mean a shitton of Furry stuff is to avoid having to draw human faces, already.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Whybird posted:

My favourite is the use of the word "therefore". Nobody uses therefore unless they're writing a maths proof, but translations from Japanese seem to love sticking it in every sentence they can.

You also use it if you're writing the conclusion to a paper or argument and going into 'Remember this, therefore this, therefore this, therefore thesis', but that's sort of a similar situation to a proof anyway.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Robindaybird posted:

It's one of the more rude/hostile ways of "You" (Teme is worse, as it implies the person you're speaking to is on the same level as a dog), so most translators tacked a "Bastard" afterwards to try to convey the level of rudeness.

Wouldn't just handling the tone of the writing (or especially voicework if it's a dub) be enough to convey a rude or hostile version of YOU! without profanity?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Data Graham posted:

STOP PUTTING YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEADS YOU ANIME FUCKS

What do you expect them to do, facial expressions? You can't do those in a mascot costume so Klace knows nothing of them!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Obligatum VII posted:

Because a lot of furries can't comprehend that you can give an anthropomorphic animal a hair style without literally giving them a human hair wig. Despite numerous sources, including other, less imaginatively bankrupt furries, proving otherwise.

Basically, it just comes down to bad art direction as an endemic problem. Same thing that leads to the neon raver color schemes.

It's also because they can't give them enough of a style/character design period. It's like the crazy hair colors in anime being used to differentiate otherwise very samey looking characters.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ironclaw was once described to me as Walt Disney's The Borgias.

That is very accurate.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The reason Furry poo poo is almost universally awful is simple: Look at how much acclaim this piece of poo poo got on Steam by its players just for BEING furry. They don't demand anything better than something that hits the sparkledog buttons, so why would the stuff they get ever rise above it? Its identity as a furry thing is all that it needs to have a niche fanbase that will make it do well enough to make another lovely game.

E: I mean, it's the same reason a Christian movie that's all about how awful secularism is is gonna be awful, or another pandering anime that knows all it needs is some little girls and cliches and sad people will throw shittons of money at it. These kinds of niche as hell things don't need to be good to do well, so why would they bother being any good?

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 2, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crazy Ferret posted:

I get your point, i just don't like the idea that sub-genre should be poo poo because its sub-genre, no need to try hard. It feels so self-defeating.

I mean, I spent all that time writing that Ironclaw review someone else linked earlier because I think the stuff that IS good should get exposure, because of course stuff shouldn't be bad just because it can get away with it.

Like, one of the reasons it works in Ironclaw is because it uses being furry to add a shitload of mechanical and thematic variation in the player character races. Instead of elves and dwarves and stuff, you have like 30 mechanically distinct species and it makes the setting colorful and gives players tons of options that the writers spent a lot of time balancing pretty well. Any way you slice it that's pretty good in a TTRPG.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 3, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Side with the rear end-rear end-ins

I like the theory that the king keeps them around because they are his idiot pets.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GeneX posted:

I'm glad we're supporting the supervillain, because this universe deserves repression and death

I mean if anyone is going to know where the power crystals OR the holy maiden can be found...

Also, whoever called this Furry Idiocracy is right: Look at what they just said. They shot all the competent, non-sparkledog furries into space in a plan to see if they die when shot into space. Sadly, they died. In space.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Data Graham posted:

I hope, this being a preindustrial society, they used a catapult.

The Sun Catapult has served us well for ages, and we should always remember well its noble inscription:

"Into the fiery orb with ye!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also note all the judging and hating as the worst thing ever keeps coming up. "Sure our king hosed up and shot everyone into the sun with the Solar Catapult, but don't you dare judge anyone! He meant well!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

KataraniSword posted:

I hate having to re-explain a joke, but even that's preferable than having to try to read through the last update. I feel like we made a poor choice just because I didn't think "go with the assassins" was really "listen to the gay raver bunnies exposit and flirt for fifteen years".

I think we're getting this regardless.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Con-Badge, Please.

The game of depressing fursona immigration drama.

Now my nightmares have a face and form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Olive Branch posted:

Originally the joke was Chairman Meow but then I looked at Velasquez again and I was like... is that a dog? What the hell is that thing? For a bunch of do-not-steal OCs, it's surprisingly hard to pinpoint exactly what species each of them is supposed to be.

I can't stop seeing him as a furry version of this specific version of Gilgamesh, though. I'd like to see him rock a dreadlock beard.

You know in your heart this is because each one is some kind of special snowflake half-of-three-things species that nevertheless just comes out looking like a dumb jackal.

• Locked thread