Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I know, it's a crazy idea, Clancy bullshit, not going to happen, etc.

But let's all indulge our inner Clancy for a minute. How would it work, just from a mechanical perspective? The country is too decentralized to allow a sufficiently small group of plotters to seize all the centers of power.

In my opinion an attempted coup would result in a 1991 Soviet Union style scenario that would lead to the breakup of the United States. Which is why you see Obama et al going to lengths to respect the process, they're not stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Well for starters it'd be YUUUGE. More to the point, who would execute these coup plans? I am unfamiliar with voting dynamics, but the military seems like a strongly pro-Trump (or if not pro Trump, then definitely anti-coup) institution?

Who would be the deep state here, and what interests would they have in setting the precedent of a coup?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I think it would initially look more like secession than a coup. Basically, team Trump goes way over the line about something or other, and California declares itself an independent country (they're really the only state in a position to make such a bold move and possibly get away with it), tells its citizens and corporations that they don't need to pay federal taxes anymore, and takes control of all military installations in its borders. Trump will have the same choice Lincoln did about whether to let them go, or to try and make them stay by force. If he lets them go, other states will probably also secede (maybe just Oregon and Washington, due to geographical reasons). If he fights them, it will depend on how things play out that would determine whether other states rally to California's defense or stay on the sidelines. It also depends heavily on who the military sides with. Trump is not Lincoln. He'd probably do something incredibly stupid like bomb a civilian town, and then we'd have nationwide chaos. It would only be amidst the riots and police/military crackdowns that a more traditional coup could take place, where Trump is assassinated or some military generals declare themselves in charge and Trump flees to Moscow.

Obviously, none of this is likely.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The question is absurd. There is no deep state. The United States is too politically, economically, and geographically decentralized to allow anyone to seize power. The armed forces are bombarded with messages about the importance of civilian control on a day-to-day basis and institutionally distrust one another too much. No one in the political or media elite have an interest in seeing a coup succeeded. The public would not accept it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's more likely is a group of pissed off republicans (and democrats) working behind the scenes to get Trump impeached. There really shouldn't be a problem digging up some worthwhile charges what with his broad conflict of interest which is explicitly forbidden in the constitution. This still wouldn't be that great because Pence and his insane cabinet picks would be still there. And I'm not aware of any process that would remove the whole administration and trigger new elections.

Now imagine that Trump refuses to resign or recognize the process, what then? The Coup d'État Practical Handbook suggests that you don't really need mass support or even the whole military on your side, their acceptance is only necessary afterwards. So really all what would be necessary is take control of several executive offices, all of which I assume are in DC. Just get the Secret Service and Capitol PD on your side and go ahead.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
You can look at example of a failed coup in Turkey and conclude that it's a bad idea.

If the so-called deep state has any depth at all, they know full well its better to just let their adversaries sabotage themselves as time goes by. Trump is a proven master at that.

tonybaloney
Mar 6, 2008

Imagine Dragons is a really good band.
After impeachment by the House and a conviction from the Senate, if Trump refuses to go I don't think the Secret Service or the Military would protect him. The process cannot be appealed, so I think the DOJ, (U.S. Marshals?) would immediately move to transfer him to prison unless he gets a swift pardon from Pence.

tonybaloney fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 12, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
What "deep state"? The military, the intelligence agencies, and the billionaires all already love Trump. Who else is left?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

What "deep state"? The military, the intelligence agencies, and the billionaires all already love Trump. Who else is left?
A handful of Post Office accountants and Bernice Edelsman, 54, a clerk with the 9th Circuit.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Trump imprisoning / disappearing a couple thousand members of the elite would create or I guess more precisely free up a lot of jobs and increase (upwards and, in the case of the suits landing in the slammer, downwards) social mobility. I support this.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Pence is going to poison trump and it'll be ruled a heart attack. That is about the only coup I can imagine.

override367
Apr 29, 2013
The Republicans would impeach trump in a heartbeat rather than let California secede

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

CIA is leaking hardcore against Trump right now if you haven't noticed, and plenty of billionaires hate Trump.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
A Coup would never work in the United States because the US Military above all else to a almost religiously zealotry degree believe in Civilian Authority and this is droned into all officer's heads during training. You may read about how the military is conservative ,but they're also constitutionalist. The majority of them believe strongly in the US Constitution.

A good example of how abhorrent our country finds it is to look up the Alexander Haig incident after Reagan was shot.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
You're delusional, it'd be full on civil war.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
There is no such thing as a 'deep state' in the us op.

Gail Wynand posted:

CIA is leaking hardcore against Trump right now if you haven't noticed

No they aren't.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Gail Wynand posted:

CIA is leaking hardcore against Trump right now if you haven't noticed, and plenty of billionaires hate Trump.

Are we substituting reality with leftist wetdreams again

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

override367 posted:

The Republicans would impeach trump in a heartbeat rather than let California secede
Indeed. There's no need for messy militarized action, or the appearance of a coup+conspiracy, when you have some charges that he took a bribe from Chaiyna in exchange for Trump Tower Shanghai or whatever.

He gets bounced on his rear end. Pence is the savior redeemer, they shuffle the chairs a little and it's done. Then they can spread all the poo poo he was doing and make it seem like the rogue outsider was going to make everything terrible and ruin America for his own gain. Good thing the Sensible Guys managed to take him down.

Any actual crisis situation, like Inferior Third Season described, would be pretty outlandish and scary as gently caress. It would sure be interesting to see how the markets would react to California claiming authority over Beale AFB, while Pendleton declares it and San Diego are sanctuary cities to the Trumpenreich.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
does trump like cigars, i think the cia has a stockpile of exploding ones they wont be needing now

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Pajser posted:

You can look at example of a failed coup in Turkey and conclude that it's a bad idea.

If the so-called deep state has any depth at all, they know full well its better to just let their adversaries sabotage themselves as time goes by. Trump is a proven master at that.

Much like he sabotaged himself right out of the primary and sabotaged himself out of the general election?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hambilderberglar posted:

I am unfamiliar with voting dynamics, but the military seems like a strongly pro-Trump (or if not pro Trump, then definitely anti-coup) institution?
at the army navy game on Saturday everyone was chanting MAGA

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
"Deep state" sounds like the ramblings of a person desperate to believe there is order and a plan to the universe. If such a thing existed and was against Trump he never would have been elected.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Hollismason posted:

A Coup would never work in the United States because the US Military above all else to a almost religiously zealotry degree believe in Civilian Authority and this is droned into all officer's heads during training. You may read about how the military is conservative ,but they're also constitutionalist. The majority of them believe strongly in the US Constitution.
What if they believed the president intended to abolish the constitution? Either literally, or de facto through an Enabling Act-type law.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

What do you think that CIA report leak is? Whoever put that out there is taking a major risk. Everyone involved in that report is going to be fired once Trump takes office and the leaker will face an Espionage Act prosecution if discovered. I wouldn't put it above Trump to charge the NYT as a corporate entity, and the editors/reporters personally, under the Espionage Act as well.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Take your medication, op.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
it'd actually be pretty hilarious if california tried to secede, trump mocked them on twitter and refused to recognize them as a nation, california demanded that trump withdraw all u.s. troops from sovereign californian territory, trump mocked them on twitter more, california started shelling u.s. military installations, etc

worked out really fuckin well last time it happened in america

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

What if the New California Republic just turned off twitter? Your eastern media would grind to a halt, the president silenced.

It'd be anarchy, I tell you what.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
oh if it meant i couldn't get my daily fix of trumptweets i'd join the armed forces myself and fight for my country :black101:

trump's incoherent haranguing gives me purpose

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isn't the real question here if there are enough Democratic partisans/faithless electors in the MI, PA, and WI delegations to the Electoral College to swing the result of the election in a constitutional manner? It would be meaningless to send it to the House as Trump would just win there instead.

Also, is all this intel leaking about Trump being a useful idiot for Russia setting the stage for faithless electors to swing the election? As if Federalist 68 wasn't enough justification already...

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if the merpeople didn't rise up after Deepwater I think we're just going to have to accept they're not going to, OP

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zeno-25 posted:

Isn't the real question here if there are enough Democratic partisans/faithless electors in the MI, PA, and WI delegations to the Electoral College to swing the result of the election in a constitutional manner? It would be meaningless to send it to the House as Trump would just win there instead.

If there is no majority and if even one elector chooses a third option, the top three go up for consideration.

What I'm saying here is that you should all be prepared for President Ron Paul.

Edit:
Clarified that this scenario is where there is no majority winner.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 12, 2016

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If even one elector chooses a third option, the top three go up for consideration.

I thought this only applied if no candidate reaches 270 in the Electoral College?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Zeno-25 posted:

I thought this only applied if no candidate reaches 270 in the Electoral College?

Pretty sure. Though I suppose technically if enough faithless electors cast votes for Ron Paul he would be one of the three names in consideration by the House. :psyduck:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zeno-25 posted:

Yes, I thought that was implied in the scenario. Enough electors flip sides by voting for either Hillary or someone else to create no majority.

I'll edit my post to be more clear.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

They're all a bunch of wusses and the only thing they'll do is resign and think "Well, that'll show him".

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Invisible Handjob posted:

"Deep state" sounds like the ramblings of a person desperate to believe there is order and a plan to the universe. If such a thing existed and was against Trump he never would have been elected.

The term doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. You can call it the military-industrial-intelligence complex if you want, but no they're not going to coup Trump lol. There might be a lot of bureaucratic infighting though.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Inferior Third Season posted:

California declares itself an independent country ... and takes control of all military installations in its borders.
LOL. With what army? The Marine Corps would be running the state within 24 hours.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

tekz posted:

The term doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. You can call it the military-industrial-intelligence complex if you want, but no they're not going to coup Trump lol. There might be a lot of bureaucratic infighting though.

The term deep state was created to refer to the network within the Turkish government responsible for the nation's numerous coups and military conspiracies, and is useful for describing circumstances in several other states like Greece for example prior to the establishment of its military junta in the late 1960s. The analogy becomes very tenuous however when extended to the United States.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Squalid posted:

The term deep state was created to refer to the network within the Turkish government responsible for the nation's numerous coups and military conspiracies, and is useful for describing circumstances in several other states like Greece for example prior to the establishment of its military junta in the late 1960s. The analogy becomes very tenuous however when extended to the United States.

I disagree, but this thread's premise is pointless anyway so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

tekz posted:

Squalid posted:

"Deep state" has a lot of meanings, all of which boil down to "the shadowy conspiracy that a) secretly controls the country from the shadows regardless of who the nominal leader is, or b) is secretly responsible for all dissent against our country's glorious leader and is constantly scheming to undermine or overthrow our great government". It's basically a genericized conspiracy theory. In places like Egypt or Turkey, it generally holds meaning B, while in the US it usually is used for meaning A.

• Locked thread