Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

basic hitler posted:

Isnt the hammerhead in rogue one straight up lifted from kotor stuff. The lore has them as some being in service for over 4000 years. I know they technically threw the canon out and good for them butb they've been freely lifting what they like too

This poo poo makes absolutely no sense to me. I loved the Star Wars canon as a kid and read a bunch of the novels, but how the gently caress can any civilization use one thing exactly the same for 4000 years? The argument "Oh, they stagnated" never made any sense. You can't stagnate THAT MUCH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

He makes a joke. It's completely out of character. He force chokes Krennic and then all of a sudden Arnold Schwarzenegger says "don't choke on your ambition lol" And the audience laughed and George Lucas spun in his grave.

I'm glad Lucas is dead and I am pro Vader making puns. If you discount anything we learned about Vader in the prequels, he actually comes off as a guy who probably makes little jokes like that all the time. Half of all his lines sound like James Earl Jones was saying them with his tongue in his cheek.

Speaking of Lucas spinning in his grave are there any HD releases of the OT without Lucas's lovely "improvements?"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Applewhite posted:

I'm glad Lucas is dead and I am pro Vader making puns. If you discount anything we learned about Vader in the prequels, he actually comes off as a guy who probably makes little jokes like that all the time. Half of all his lines sound like James Earl Jones was saying them with his tongue in his cheek.

Speaking of Lucas spinning in his grave are there any HD releases of the OT without Lucas's lovely "improvements?"

If Disney can track down the originals there will be. I heard a rumor that Georgie Boy destroyed them.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

So why was Leia at that battle?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

FizFashizzle posted:

So why was Leia at that battle?

she is part of the rebel alliance and a traitor

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Kylo the Ren is wearing Revan's mask, I assume Snoke the Hutt will wear Malak's faceplate.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

its all nice on rice posted:

Doesn't Luke find some fleet of dreadnaughts on the edges of known space in the EU that's tens of thousands of years old or some poo poo?

Only about 50 years old. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Katana_fleet

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Vader is literally the king of one-liners, but on a villainous end. Half his dialogue are quotable lines. "I find your lack of faith disturbing." He says as he chokes a person. Yes, a better joke, but I really like Vader making a ludicrously out of nowhere pun just to amuse himself as this little pissant Director grovels before him. Seems in character, Vader's fun.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Y'all are forgetting the funniest line in the movie.

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I'M BLIND."

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Speaking of bad lines I noticed the cut out the "I rebel" line from one of the trailers.

(Unless I missed it somehow)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Chomp8645 posted:

Speaking of bad lines I noticed the cut out the "I rebel" line from one of the trailers.

(Unless I missed it somehow)

Almost everything from the trailers was cut.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
If they were really going to put in the "I have a bad feeling about this" line they should have had Bodie say it right as the tentacle monster was revealed

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think what makes the film feel so much like a fanfilm is the dialogue. Notice how nobody in the film ever uses nicknames or shorthands for anyone. Jyn is always called Jyn Erso or Jyn, or Cassian, or Andor. The worst part was whenever Tarkin or Vader said Galen Erso out loud. It's like "look at how important my original character (do not steal!) is! Vader and Tarkin know who he is by name!"

There is no, "You're all clear kid!" No "Move this walking carpet!" No "Rest easy, son, you've had a busy day." It's all "Galen Erso, give me the plans!" "Jyn Erso, go with Captain Cassian Andor to find Rook Bohti and stop Orson Krennic from leaving Imperial Security Planet Scarif!"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
:siren: THREAD TITLE :siren:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Chomp8645 posted:

:siren: THREAD TITLE :siren:

yeah did a mod change it or was it always like that?

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
no, that's some fresh spice

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

yeah did a mod change it or was it always like that?

it's gone through like 5 changes

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I get bored easily.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

i for one appreciate the rogue one thread title changes

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

but now i have 2 threads about leia

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I appreciate it too but lol this one was johnny on the spot.

Like drat dude the body ain't even cold yet!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Goddamn that thread title is savage.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I don't think cgi has advanced enough to replicate how bad Carrie fisher looked in TFA

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
start with Nien Nunb's mask and go from there??? :shrug:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Moon Atari posted:

The Hobbit production sounds like it was a disaster hastily forced on the creative team by a bunch of novice investors and desperate managers. New Line Cinema were drowning in failure after squandering their Lord of the Rings success, and the kiwi government invested in the film to an unusual degree. This wasn't experienced and expert hollywood studio deal making, it seems more like the work of a bunch of outsiders who lucked into unusual success with lotr and having been fumbling ever since. An example of studio and investor fuckery is that it was rumoured to have gone from a proposed two movies to a trilogy at an extremely late point in production.

That being said, the reason they couldn't film in the same way as the originals was because it was filmed in 3D and the unusual 48 fps format. The 3D was probably at the studios behest, the 48 fps thing was Jackson taking advantage of the money to fulfil one of his film tech nerd pet projects. They did actually achieve some advanced never before seen camera tech which is cool in theory, but was unfortunately attached to The Hobbit.

It should be stressed that by the time Hobbit came around, New Line was pretty much just a name and the major handling of those movies was on Toby Emmerich and his sycophants at Warner Bros. New Line pretty much folded after Golden Compass bombed and WB came in and smugly fired 90% of the staff and were like "watch how it's done" with The Hobbit (and then proceeded to almost poo poo the bed with those movies too).

Don't mind me, just a former New Line employee still holding a grudge.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

The post credits scene to Rogue One dealing with Leia's capture are pretty unexpected. Do we really need to see 'Star Wars Episode VIII: Cardiac Arrest' so soon?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

oh ya!

nevermind donnie yen is the funniest man in star wars

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pastry Mistakes posted:

The post credits scene to Rogue One dealing with Leia's capture are pretty unexpected. Do we really need to see 'Star Wars Episode VIII: Cardiac Arrest' so soon?

Wait was there really a post credits scene in the movie or is that part of a joke.

Because if I missed it then GOD DAMNIT.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Waltzing Along posted:

He makes a joke. It's completely out of character. He force chokes Krennic and then all of a sudden Arnold Schwarzenegger says "don't choke on your ambition lol" And the audience laughed and George Lucas spun in his grave.

it was actually awesome and not out of character at all

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Applewhite posted:

Dude was making jokes the whole time in the original trilogy... that one was just bad. Maybe it was his first joke, then as the OT happens he gets better and better jokes.

edit: it kinda was odd seeing the fish dudes too, they really shouldn't have been in the movie...

Dubplate Fire fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 24, 2016

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dubplate Fire posted:

Dude was making jokes the whole time in the original trilogy... that one was just bad. Maybe it was his first joke, then as the OT happens he gets better and better jokes.

edit: it kinda was odd seeing the fish dudes too, they really shouldn't have been in the movie...

Them being part of the rebellion was a huge deal because they actually had ships that weren't total rear end.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
Fish dudes needed birds pecking at them and flies buzzing around them the whole time. Would have felt more authentic.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Applewhite posted:

*admiral thuds into floor, dead*

Apology accepted

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lord of Pie posted:

*admiral thuds into floor, dead*

Apology accepted

Yeah exactly. Vader making puns is totally in character.

And totally a different person from the rear end in a top hat we are shown in the prequels. Yet another reason why the prequels were bad and we should all pretend they don't exist.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

If Disney can track down the originals there will be. I heard a rumor that Georgie Boy destroyed them.

Yeah well even if he did there's gotta be theater quality prints floating around all over the country.

Mostly what needs to go is the extra scene where Han Solo talks to N64 graphics quality Jabba the Hutt and it's obvious the scene was cut because everything in it was covered better during the shootout with Greedo.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

Applewhite posted:

Yeah well even if he did there's gotta be theater quality prints floating around all over the country.

Mostly what needs to go is the extra scene where Han Solo talks to N64 graphics quality Jabba the Hutt and it's obvious the scene was cut because everything in it was covered better during the shootout with Greedo.

Someone combined the best of the Blu-ray and laserdiscs to create a hi definition theatrical original trilogy, called the Despecialized Editions. It will make you cry of nostalgia because everthing is put back in place but in glorious HD.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I don't remember any shoot out with Greedo. Dude just got gunned down in cold blood.

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011
May the force be with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
may her unused midi-chlorians find a new home

• Locked thread