Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Soup du Journey posted:

rip minnie bothans :(

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Manuel_Both-Hanz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Seriouspost -

Do we see Leia or Tarkin's faces or just like, the back of their heads or from the neck down? Are they CGI? Stock footage? Is Leia played by Carrie Fisher's daughter? Is Tarkin played by the guy in prosthetics from the end of episode 3?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Seriouspost -

Do we see Leia or Tarkin's faces or just like, the back of their heads or from the neck down? Are they CGI? Stock footage? Is Leia played by Carrie Fisher's daughter? Is Tarkin played by the guy in prosthetics from the end of episode 3?

bad CGI Tarkin, hilariously destroys every scene he's in. And he's in a couple of them.

Not sure about Leia, could be CGI, could be uggo

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

vyst posted:

The prequels had the worst dialog and character development I've seen from any sci fi movie since the LL Cool J Rollerball movie

But both dialogue and development was baf in the new one too. At least the prequels looked good and had like imagination and poo poo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The part I liked most about the prequels was them not resorting to just making another Death Star (or other superweapon) be the big threat.

Even George wasn't that loving lazy and uncreative.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
why'd my good title go away

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
This is the "Peter principle" taken to its logical conclusion

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
is this star wars episode 8

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
idgi where's chewie

raaaoooorrr

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
the bothans died in return of the jedi. it's not hard to remember! aaaaaaaaaa! AAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Bothans are just H1B visa guys, outsourced after all the local Corellians got screwed

Don't support Bothans

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

quote:

Bothans (pronounced /'bɑθɪn/) were furry mammalian anthropoids, about 1.5 meters tall. Hailing from Bothawui and several colonies, Bothans differed in facial appearance and body structure with canine, feline, and equine features.

No great loss.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

butterbar posted:

The prequels where better than force awkens which was derivative trash. The prequels at least made an effort

I think that, if you watch the Force Awakens, you will get to experience the wonder and amazement u desire from an epic space fantasy movie. For example, there was dirt and spaceship hallways and a forest, also they had every type of colored person you could imagine!

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

I have an absolute logjam of snarky crap to say about this.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
his name wasn't grand moff?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I hope we finally get to see an on-screen and fully canon Mofference

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Cubone posted:

his name wasn't grand moff?

grand moff is a rank you noob

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
are there regular moffs? do we have moffs?

do we have hutts?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Cubone posted:

only hairy moffs

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
They were phased out during the late eighties mostly

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Everything tells me this movie is aggressively mediocre and only exists because people will see it because it has 'Star Wars' written on it.

Someone saying it's Trump's worst nightmare is pretty much the most pathetic thing I've heard this week, no matter if the movie has merits or not.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Trump's Worst Nightmare: A Giant Spider With His Father's Face Is Trying To Steal His Penis

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

Randarkman posted:

Everything tells me this movie is aggressively mediocre and only exists because people will see it because it has 'Star Wars' written on it.

Someone saying it's Trump's worst nightmare is pretty much the most pathetic thing I've heard this week, no matter if the movie has merits or not.

It's probably still better than Force Awakens, though

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

butterbar posted:

Shut the gently caress up. We don't talk about that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

butterbar posted:

Faint praise.

The new Star Wars movies and the direction everything seems to be taking has made me appreciate the original movies more though and realize that nothing more really was needed. Even the prequels are more interesting. Terrible trainwrecks written and directed by an ever lazier cook are more interesting for some reason than superficially competent movies relying on nostalgia and fanboyism for their existence.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Cubone posted:

do we have hutts?

The movie he was in was from the 70s, it's all grand moffs

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
What is a moff.

Please don't insult my mother if you respond.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Supreme Allah posted:

What is a moff.

Please don't insult my mother if you respond.

It's those bugs that ate your mothers sweaters in her closet. Not that they looked any worse, they were crap sweaters in the first place.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Just got back from watching this, the action scenes and space battles were nice and pretty, but by god this film had several flaws!

I get that in the prequels they have completely different starships for the Republic and Trade Federation because they take place years before eps IV to VI, but if they're going to introduce U-wings, AT-ACTs, Tie Strikers, and a CR90 Corvette with a loving battering ram on its front, the same time EP IV takes place, then how come they're never brought up again during the Battle of Yavin, Hoth, and Endor? Did the Empire just store all their AT-ACTs and Tie Strikers in Scarif and never produced them anywhere else in the galaxy? Does the Rebel Alliance only have 2 U-wings? How come AT-ACTs go down easier than AT-ATs, do they not have as much armour as normal AT-ATs? And how come snowspeeder blasters can't penetrate their armour, yet X-wings and U-wings can do it with no problem? If the Death Star's superlaser takes a couple of hours (maybe) to destroy a planet, how the gently caress did they upgrade it fast enough just before the Battle of Yavin to blow it up within a couple of seconds?

I bet some "genius" canon writers for Lucasfilm will come up with some last-minute explanations for all this bullshit!

They really hammered in those "easter eggs".

I don't know if I should be surprised they mentioned the blue milk in the prologue. I got a lot of uncanny valley vibes from Not Tarkin, if they hired other actors and actresses to play as Mon Mothma and Princess Leia, why couldn't they just do the same for Tarkin and Red Leader? At least they were making it close to the real Cushing and all that attention to detail. If Evazan and Baba were somehow on Jedha, then how did they leave in time before the Death Star blew up the planet? I'll admit it was neat seeing Jimmy Smits reprise as Bail Organa, especially now that he's a bit older and greyer so it ties in with the timeline.

Then there's James Earl Jones coming back as Darth Vader, the cameo was nice and all...until the force choke bit and he follows it up with "don't choke on your aspirations", who loving wrote that dialogue, I know most of these references are really subtle winks and nods to all the hardcore fans out there, but that line was corny as gently caress.

Overall, I was very disappointed with this spin-off, not because of all the stuff I mentioned above, but because I NEVER SAW A GODDAMN BOTHAN! You LIED to me, Disney!

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 15, 2016

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

Good job, OP.

I didn't read your post but I did read the thread title and I wholeheartedly approve.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Junior Jr. posted:

Just got back from watching this, the action scenes and space battles were nice and pretty, but by god this film had several flaws!

I get that in the prequels they have completely different starships for the Republic and Trade Federation because they take place years before eps IV to VI, but if they're going to introduce U-wings, AT-ACTs, Tie Strikers, and a CR90 Corvette with a loving battering ram on its front, the same time EP IV takes place, then how come they're never brought up again during the Battle of Yavin, Hoth, and Endor? Did the Empire just store all their AT-ACTs and Tie Strikers in Scarif and never produced them anywhere else in the galaxy? Does the Rebel Alliance only have 2 U-wings? How come AT-ACTs go down easier than AT-ATs, do they not have as much armour as normal AT-ATs? And how come snowspeeder blasters can't penetrate their armour, yet X-wings and U-wings can do it with no problem? If the Death Star's superlaser takes a couple of hours (maybe) to destroy a planet, how the gently caress did they upgrade it fast enough just before the Battle of Yavin to blow it up within a couple of seconds?

I bet some "genius" canon writers for Lucasfilm will come up with some last-minute explanations for all this bullshit!

They really hammered in those "easter eggs".

I don't know if I should be surprised they mentioned the blue milk in the prologue. I got a lot of uncanny valley vibes from Not Tarkin, if they hired other actors and actresses to play as Mon Mothma and Princess Leia, why couldn't they just do the same for Tarkin and Red Leader? At least they were making it close to the real Cushing and all that attention to detail. If Evazan and Baba were somehow on Jedha, then how did they leave in time before the Death Star blew up the planet? I'll admit it was neat seeing Jimmy Smits reprise as Bail Organa, especially now that he's a bit older and greyer so it ties in with the timeline.

Then there's James Earl Jones coming back as Darth Vader, the cameo was nice and all...until the force choke bit and he follows it up with "don't choke on your aspirations", who loving wrote that dialogue, I know most of these references are really subtle winks and nods to all the hardcore fans out there, but that line was corny as gently caress.

Overall, I was very disappointed with this spin-off, not because of all the stuff I mentioned above, but because I NEVER SAW A GODDAMN BOTHAN! You LIED to me, Disney!

cinema discusso is that way *points to my gaping anus^

feller
Jul 5, 2006

This is actually really funny

Cubone
May 26, 2011

the Bothans died getting the plans to the second Death Star

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
star wars :ughh:

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
man im getting really tired of these star wars

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Rogue One is awesome and if you don't think so then you have bad opinons. poo poo, it's better than Empire

I want to go see it again today.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cubone posted:

the Bothans died getting the plans to the second Death Star

Rogue One plot twist: the whole rebel cast was actually a bunch of Bothans in disguise.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I remember hearing they had to reshoot the whole movie because it ended with Darth Vader stalking and murdering all the characters like he was Jason Vorhees and that was too dark

Uhhhhhh dude, I'd love for them to make an entire movie of just Darth Vader slaughtering people. Make a Star Wars Horror movie with Darth Vader instead of Michael Myers. That would be amazing. Just make a whole movie of Vader being a stone cold evil badass so we can make up for them making him into a pussy in the prequels.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gammatron 64 posted:

I remember hearing they had to reshoot the whole movie because it ended with Darth Vader stalking and murdering all the characters like he was Jason Vorhees and that was too dark

Uhhhhhh dude, I'd love for them to make an entire movie of just Darth Vader slaughtering people. Make a Star Wars Horror movie with Darth Vader instead of Michael Myers. That would be amazing. Just make a whole movie of Vader being a stone cold evil badass so we can make up for them making him into a pussy in the prequels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BN3921owBQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yep that didn't happen. It was awesome. I would not be shocked if it's on Youtube by the end of the week.

He said Darth Vader. :colbert: :spergin:

• Locked thread