Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
dwarf fortress is a cool and fun game, and i havent pllayed it for years, so i guess toady has added a bunch of cool stuff like oral hygiene or testicular torsion to the game.

thing is, its always more fun to play w/ friends and pass around a save, like they did with boatmurdered back in the day

anyone here actually know the basics of playing it and want to manage a fortess full of depressed addicts for a while b4 passing it on to the next in line (JUST LIKE BEING IK IN BYOB LOLOLOLOL!!!!)?

maybe we'll also get some fun writing and/or artwork out of it, who knows!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urodov

oh h*ck yes

Ãèáåëü â ìîðñêîé âîëíå,                                                                                                спасибо, Слагнойд-кун!
èëè ñâîáîäó

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i dig roguelikes but have never actually played df

vanisher

I played this game poorly a while back and would love to mess up your save or give you a junk base!

I was always impressed by the screens in the boatmurdered thread

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

joke_explainer

I'm down I love that game.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
if we can get a few more on board, i think this might just work :o

just took a quick look through the df front page and things look promising

quote:

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Stopped babies/children from competing in war game events
Made gorlaks able to open doors, stopped desizing of their heads

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MrWillsauce

I posted on the bay12forums when I was 14. I'm pretty much a dwarf fortress master and I love dwarves and drinking so yeah gently caress yeah I'm game for this. And I love byob so it's basically perfect.

MrWillsauce

guess what's in the game now http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Hemp

Farecoal

There he go
gently caress elves

FreshCutFries

would totally do this. i haven't played much since the night creature update though.

MrWillsauce

I encourage people who have never played or heard of dwarf fortress before to sign up. It will be byob as poo poo

Urodov

Farecoal posted:

gently caress elves

to say 'agreed' would be absurdly inadequate; this is like a tautology, i don't even know how to process this post

MrWillsauce

elves.

Urodov

"water is wet"

":agreed: lol"

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i am become hype, destroyer of dwarves

Scaly Haylie

i suffer from dwarf fortress illiteracy.

mags

I am a congenital optimist.

"Currently there are no other uses for hemp plants in Dwarf Fortress."

:colbert:

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

about every year i play df for a while and manage to get a fort going strong for a year or two before something terrible happens to the food and everyone goes insane

so i'm going to probably stay away from the save but will :f5: the h*ck out of this thread

MrWillsauce

mister magpie posted:

"Currently there are no other uses for hemp plants in Dwarf Fortress."

:colbert:

dwarf fortress is really easy to mod

food court bailiff posted:

about every year i play df for a while and manage to get a fort going strong for a year or two before something terrible happens to the food and everyone goes insane

so i'm going to probably stay away from the save but will :f5: the h*ck out of this thread

naw dude that poo poo's fun :getin:

vanisher

Alright i'm doing this and posting something tonight what should we name the fortress or should I just be creative

e:

This seems like a good startup

vanisher fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 15, 2016

MrWillsauce

more beasts more savagery. I want to tame giant frogs and fight dragons.

just used the first random fortress name but change the first word to "chill"

that's my 2 cents

vanisher

MrWillsauce posted:

more beasts more savagery. I want to tame giant frogs and fight dragons.

just used the first random fortress name but change the first word to "chill"

that's my 2 cents

I will meet you halfway on the savagery, beasts moved to high savagery moved to medium.

I guarantee we will die off in year two or three so we can start again too if there's still interest

MrWillsauce

I hope this world has some nice JOYOUS WILDS

joke_explainer

We doing one year per turn? I think that's a good enough time to get some work done.

vanisher

joke_explainer posted:

We doing one year per turn? I think that's a good enough time to get some work done.

for sure

i'll find out how to share the game files here shortly unless a crafty person has some tips

MrWillsauce

zip up the save and put it on mediafire or dropbox or something. Or just email it

vanisher

welcome to Ngutegsil, "The Cyclopean Plane"

I'm going to go with these settings unless we have other plans:

This is a contender site!

any requests for jobs?

I'm sure we need:
a couple miners
a carpenter and a mason (key for beds, tables, doors, nick-nacks to trade)
a farmer (grower)
probably a cook/brewer

Seriously veto any of this and I won't be offended, it's been forever since I've played and I'm not great

also i'll make sure to add the others who posted here or want a dwarf named after them once new recruits arrive!

vanisher fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 15, 2016

Nosfereefer

"the grand chills"

gonna head to work for like 8+ hours, but metals and flux means some proper steel :getin:

vanisher

You have to use this crazy name generator

I made something:

oh snap we can name our group too

FreshCutFries

make sure you get an alcohol industry up asap. the last time i played a hot biome, evaporation made wells a pain in the rear end.

vanisher

Thingyman posted:

make sure you get an alcohol industry up asap. the last time i played a hot biome, evaporation made wells a pain in the rear end.

we've got that river, I like to run it into the fort with bridges all over for safety, then we have a huge pool of water that we draw wells into from within the fortress if it will stay there

I haven't played too many hot biomes

e: let's go with Chillheads for the name? Ironic since we will be hotter than heck in our biome

vanisher fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 15, 2016

FreshCutFries

i only did it the once, and it was ages ago, but iirc the evaporation makes it hard to fill a cistern off of the river. things shouldn't be bad though, i just know that alcohol is something I always forget until it's too late lol

Plebian Parasite

I don't know how to play dorf fort but would anyone be interested in a SimAnt succession game?

myDad

ce n'est pas ma mère
Can you name a dwarf after me?

sig by vanisher™®

vanisher

Our journey begins with seven travelers, friends only through necessity at this point, escaping a prison of monotony and meaningless existence in the mountainhomes to risk it all, even their very lives, to become something greater. They name their band "The Bold Breakfast" and step out onto the trail. Many months of marching land them in a sweltering camp next to a river and a mountainside. They dub the location ironically Chillheads, due to Nosfereefer getting upset over the choice of items stockpiled.

What was left was a large pile of seeds, several battleaxes, plump helmet spawn to feed them for many months, and four animals. Two bunnies and two ducks, of each gender.

They began by carving a passageway into the mountain to secure their valuables and also out a trench for a future water source entering the Chillhead camp. Their goal being a series of farm plots with on/off flood switches to secure a safe and stable food source for years to come.

mrbradleymrmartin, vanisher, and urodov are our designated miners and begin work immediately to secure a safehouse for our goods. Urodov strikes Orthoclase, a common stone, and lust of richer gems flash in the eyes of the three dwarves, quickly becoming friends in their hard labors. This initial dig is likely the beginning of a lifetime of digging. The three heft their copper pickaxes steadily, making the most of their strength, progressing through the rockface, each equipped with a steady battleaxe at their side.

The stones clutter their feet, and a stockpile is made outside for the other dwarves to begin hauling the boulders from their new home.
Thingyman, joke_explainer, MrWillsauce, and Nosfereefer will have to find meaning in this menial labor until more rewarding tasks are available. Hopefully new recruits will come who can handle this grunt work, but for now our seven will have to make do.

Quickly, our Mason, joke_explainer, is fed up with hauling stones and decides to set up a workshop to make some doors. MrBradleyMrMartin strikes native silver and loses his poo poo. Patience! We can't even do anything with it yet.

vanisher fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 15, 2016

vanisher

Oh I forgot to mention we are all novice comedians

Nosfereefer

ITS HAPPENING!!!

vanisher

The days blend together as our seven friends work to set up even the most basic of living arrangements.

After making three of the shittiest doors you can imagine joke_explainer (the bright yellow dwarf) decides she's (plot twist) done for the day and kicks back with the bunnies (lowercase red 'r's). She gets poo poo faced on dwarven wine and is pissed she can't drink it out of a jewel encrusted goblet. As our tireless miners continue their work and learn of their friends laziness a consensus opinion forms to force her off her rear end to make some equally lovely beds so they can sleep on something other than boulders.

"To make beds I need wood you assholes"

death sext

so was joke_explainer the dwarf just slurping wine out of her hands?

yeah. yeah I could get into this sort of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

death sext posted:

so was joke_explainer the dwarf just slurping wine out of her hands?

yeah. yeah I could get into this sort of game.

Like an animal

• Locked thread