Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Phon posted:

If we don't have food, no one will want to live here to work in the factories or be doctors or whatever.

You've got that backwards! If we farm, everyone will want the easy farmer life with the delicious ripe fruits ready to be picked and the happy dancing singing animals instead of working in our hellish factories. And famine means diseases, and in theory diseases should attract doctors.

Get that industrial production up and running, we're supposed to build a real city here, and the greatness of a city is measured by the number of smokestacks it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wouldn't quality of life be 'circuses'?

Exactly
Bread first
Circuses last
Squeeze in industry between the two

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

I vote for a vanity project to beautify Daejeon and not do anything productive!

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
I don't care much about what we're going to build, but I aboslutely hate cars and demand that we minimize their use. Trains, trams, bikes, rickshaws, pneumatic tubes, just not cars! Even buses are acceptable since they reduce the total number of cars.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Industrialize.
We need to start building tanks to avenge those lost to the Communist hordes!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Farming first. Get the useful farming land first and then transition to QOL supplemented by Industrial Production.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Let's get some farming in this place.

And a side request: can you brighten your screenshots a bit? They're kind of dark at the moment.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Farming so that we have the feed we need.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Farming. How can we have the motivation be a great city if we don't go though a lovely farm town phase?

Boksi posted:

I don't care much about what we're going to build, but I aboslutely hate cars and demand that we minimize their use. Trains, trams, bikes, rickshaws, pneumatic tubes, just not cars! Even buses are acceptable since they reduce the total number of cars.
Also this, mostly because it's more interesting cars are the lazy way out! :argh:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Boksi posted:

If we can? Yes please.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Boksi posted:

I also support this initiative.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Industry. We need to pump up production above Commie Korea levels to prove the superiority of capitalism. What, some people are hungry? Can't you just like, build a McDonalds or something? I don't get it.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Farming!

Lets grow enough corn to make Khrushchev blush. ]

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Mnf.

Farming, because more food is quality of life.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Farming!

Lets grow enough corn to make Khrushchev blush. ]

That might be difficult. Dude loved his corn. Always trying to plug corn in any speech he'd make.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Based on my own experience in C:S. The Farmland we make will possibly just run out of workers and not matter in the long run. That in mind, I vote that we start up the farming so we'll forever be It's.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Koreans invented the 4 seasons, fire, and farming. Back to the agricultural roots of Hwanguk with farming.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Build farms and build a useless monument to farms.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
To paraphrase the words of a pretty cool dude who was a giant perv with a heart of gold:
"Hey man it's Daejeon it's where the Farms live."

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Build Daejeon into a dong shaped like a dong.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

McGavin posted:

Build Daejeon into a dong shaped like a dong.

It's Daejeon :dong:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The council has spoken with a clear winner:

Farms 17
Factories 6
quality of liFe 1
selF importance 2

We will begin to expand the farmland, sticking in the same general area the town is right now.

As for cars, this is a game issue since it is car-centric like SimCity. In Korea in 1954 there should be next to no cars. I'm not using one of the mods to let you zone along footpaths because then service vehicles don't work, unless there's a version of that mod now that fixes that problem?

We will definitely strive to minimize their use as time advances though. Korea has good public transit and while car ownership is a status symbol and people idiotically buy cars to sit in traffic with, the rates of ownership are still low. I used to live in the city with the highest car ownership rate and that was still a good bit below 40%.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Grand Fromage posted:

The council has spoken with a clear winner:

Farms 17
Factories 6
quality of liFe 1
selF importance 2

We will begin to expand the farmland, sticking in the same general area the town is right now.

As for cars, this is a game issue since it is car-centric like SimCity. In Korea in 1954 there should be next to no cars. I'm not using one of the mods to let you zone along footpaths because then service vehicles don't work, unless there's a version of that mod now that fixes that problem?

We will definitely strive to minimize their use as time advances though. Korea has good public transit and while car ownership is a status symbol and people idiotically buy cars to sit in traffic with, the rates of ownership are still low. I used to live in the city with the highest car ownership rate and that was still a good bit below 40%.

Plus I think the other major title the developer has is Cities in Motion, which is all about transport.
Even if traffic inexplicably makes far too little use of extra lanes for my liking.

I would love if there was a mod/option to reduce car ownership. Because it can get a little absurd.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It does get kind of funny when you spam pedestrian paths, even when you can't zone on them. Hordes of people taking the most absurd routes. And occasionally breaking physics to jump up steep paths.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Part 2: July, 1954

We want farms!

In order to get more farms, we need places for farmers to live, and for farmers we need more roads. Time to get some "density".

More space.

More farms.

We're also bulldozing some footpaths through the new blocks.

The glorious Downtown Daejeon.

Somebody hosed up with their ondol.

The ondol is the traditional heating system in Korea, which has been around for a couple thousand years. If you're familiar with Roman hypocausts, it's the same concept. Under the floor is hollow, and there's a small fireplace off to the side where fuel, preferably charcoal, is burned. The heated air is sucked through the hollow floor and out an exhaust, warming up the floor. It's not always safe but it works. Modern ondols are much safer, but we aren't in that era yet.

Lots of garbage is piling up so the government "suggests" we build a landfill.

While out at the landfill site, there's a new road being built. Where's that going?

Across the rebuilt railroad...

what

Looks like we have some new neighbors.

A United States general arrives at city hall to announce Daejeon Air Base is open for business and proud to help protect us from the North Koreans. He hopes we're enjoying the financial aid from the United States and putting it to good use, cough.

The population is growing and farmland increasing. What should we do with this base moving in?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Surround the base with industry. Pen them in and make life miserable.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

The population is growing and farmland increasing. What should we do with this base moving in?

Consider some entertainment to be placed within Daejon. Gotta have those Yankees spend their dollars so we can spend our won on the city proper. Probably cheap venues, but let's hope we can keep a red light district out of Daejon.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
Pander shamelessly. Set up entertainment and various quality-of-life facilities.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Let the Americans experience the enrichment of farm life. Surround the base with farms and encourage the soldiers to work on them on their leave.

Also is there a military base mod you're using? I don't recall seeing them in the vanilla game, though I haven't played for a bit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Innocent_Bystander posted:

Pander shamelessly. Set up entertainment and various quality-of-life facilities.

Agreed. They're overpaid, oversexed, and over here. Let's make that first one work to our advantage.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

This is the correct option.

Coincidentally, I just realized that my name would be a good one for a chain of combination pizzeria/brothel establishments.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Surrender the base to the North Koreans, those planes will be useful to dear leader.

But if not, pander them, it's a good option.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

:agreed:

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

What should we do with this base moving in?

As historical. Build an "entertainment" district near the base, making it as seedy as possible. Make sure to use whatever practical means available to separate it from from the town proper, to prevent social contamination from foreigners and the workers catering to them.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Uhhh.... poo poo. What do Americans like? Baseball? Build a baseball field.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Might as well get in good with the Yanks.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It needs to be more dong-shaped to be a proper dong.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Deformed Church posted:

Surround the base with industry. Pen them in and make life miserable.

Build industry with smoke stacks higher than the aircrafts take-off altitudes. The added smoke/smog effect will render the base useless.

:northkoreainfiltrators:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have a feeling these North Korean jokes are going to get real old real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

They were old before the first one was made. Also as much as I would love to say not to pander to the US we probably can't afford not to, so build some entertainment

• Locked thread